main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Improved Critical (Lightsaber)????

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by MasterKazur, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterKazur

MasterKazur Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    Well...

A lightsaber has a critical threat range of 19-20.
    With the feat Improved Critical it says that the range is increased by 1.
    Am I mistaken or does that not mean 18-20???
    Because Obi-Wan & Mace Windu (among others) both have the improved critical feat and they have 17-20!
    The book says you can't choose the feat for the same weapon more than once, so that can't explain it.

Are the Windu and Kenobi stats wrong?

Any help would be nice.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I would assume the stats are wrong, unless there's another feat or style that gives the same bonus.

The Improved Critical feat in SWRPG (rather than D&D) only improves the threat range by 1, rather than doubling it.

3. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Maybe the lightsabers have the Keen property? *shrug*

4. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004
    The what?

5. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Didn't notice it in the book, but in D&D, there's a Keen property to weapons that expands its threat range by one. While I don't remember seeing it in the sw rulebook, it's in KotOR, so I figured I'd just overlooked it or that it was in another sourcebook.

Anyway, having a lightsaber with that property would at least giving something of an explanation.

6. Shadowen

Shadowen Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 1999
    Aside from "mastercraft", d20 weapons and equipment don't have "properties", like flaming or icy burst or holy.

Also, in D&D 3.5, keen doesn't stack with Improved Critical, so even if they were keen they wouldn't have a threat range of 17-20.

7. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I see it as them having the feat and that they have personalised there weapon. The equipment guide talks about that.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Probably a typo. Phew, at least I'm not the only one who's constantly confusing Star Wars d20 with D&D, with d20 Modern, with Mutants and Masterminds, with... :)

9. Kel_Dar

Kel_Dar Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2005
    D&D D20 stats state the increase is 1 critical range. In other words an axe (20/X3) is increased to (19-20/X3). This is followed with the ranges of other weapons that are better in that department, a longsword for instance has (19-20/X2) and the improved crit feat increases it's range one category to (17-20/X2). The keen property functions exactly the same way, and the reasoning behind the 3.5 revision of it is it became too powerful. For instance the scimitar (18-20/X2) becomes (12-20/X2) with imp crit and keen in 3.0 edition.

So no, the stats are correct and a lightsaber will have 17-20 range with someone who has the improved critical feat. The feat is powerful, thus requiring the +8 BAB in D&D, and rightly so.

10. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004
    But all the other characters in the book that have the Improved Critical feat only have 18-20.

I think the Windu/Obi-Wan stats are wrong.

11. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Keen "Doubles the threat range, but does not stack with any other effect that expands the threat range of a weapon" So if a saber aready has 19-20, a keen saber has 17-20. The example in the 3.5 DMG uses a longsword, which has the same threat range as a saber.

So assuming these guys have Keen Sabers, that could answer it. But IMHO, keen sabers don't really make sense

12. Kel_Dar

Kel_Dar Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2005
    Keen isn't the issue. And again, if it is using the standard D20 ruleset, which was developed with D&D, the threat range would be 17-20.

Straight from D&D 3.5 PHB

Benefit: When using the weapon selected, your threat range is doubled. For example, a longsword usually threatens a critical on a roll of 19-20 (two numbers). If a character using a longsword has Improved Critical (longsword), the threat range becomes 17-20 (four numbers).

Granted I do not have the Star Wars D20 books with me, but Improved Critical should function specifically in that manner on all D20 products. Almost everything in the D20 system is the same in each incarnation with minor variances, martial weapons proficiency and blaster rifles proficiency for example. Everything that does not need changing, stats...feats...bonuses etc stay the same.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Granted I do not have the Star Wars D20 books with me, but Improved Critical should function specifically in that manner on all D20 products. Almost everything in the D20 system is the same in each incarnation with minor variances, martial weapons proficiency and blaster rifles proficiency for example. Everything that does not need changing, stats...feats...bonuses etc stay the same.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

Improved Critical in SWRPG only increases the threat range by 1; it does not double it. This is explicit.

14. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004
    Thats right. I just read that myself.

15. Youkai

Youkai Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2003
    Arms and Equipment has the answer. An individual may personal modify a weapon to increase the crit range by 1. So a personally modified lighsaber wielded by a person with the Improved Crit feat would have a lightsaber with a 17-20 crit range.

16. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004
    Thanks very much. Guess that clears it up :) Finally.

17. TheLoneGunman9x19mm

TheLoneGunman9x19mm Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2005
    Hehe, my groups always let them stack, but what can I say, there's no kill like overkill...

Go ahead, shoot that prairie dog with the fifty cal...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.