main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga In a Heart Where Light Dwells- Baby Luke arrives on Tatooine

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Mar 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I've often wondered who brought baby Luke to the Lars homestead and what that person said to them. This is my own interpretation, a possible scenario. As always I don't own any of these characters (I wish!) but I do like reading and writing about them.

The Skywalker twins have been born and for their own safety, they must be separated. This is the story of young Luke's arrival on Tatooine, and how he finds a home.

In a Heart Where Light Dwells
    Obi-Wan Kenobi brought the ship down skillfully on the sands of Tatooine. These sands had helped forge the destiny of one Skywalker, he could only hope that they would be more merciful to his son. He shut down the engines and made his way toward the back of the cockpit and looked down at the tiny passenger who had fallen asleep not long ago. Little Luke Skywalker lay with his left hand cradled underneath his blond head and the thumb of his right hand securely in his mouth. Luke stirred in his sleep, his tiny face scrunching up as if he wanted to cry, but the moment passed and he settled down to sleep again. Obi-Wan had learned to maintain his shields around the young baby, but even so he caught a faint hint of Luke?s momentary distress. The strength of young Luke?s Force signature was still amazing to him, even after weeks of traveling alone with the baby on a convoluted course through the galaxy.

He and Padme had made the decision to separate the twins soon after their birth. Padme had fled to Alderaan and was now under the protection of Bail Organa. She and Leia would be safe there, especially with the resources of the Organa family guarding their secret. Leia would be raised by Bail and his wife, but at least Padme would be able to see her daughter grow up, albeit from a distance. Luke, however, was a bright, glowing spot in the Force, so the only choice was to remove him from any possible contact with Vader or the Emperor. Luke could not grow up safely on any Imperial world, he needed a planet upon which Vader would never set foot, and that made this hot, dusty place perfect for their needs. Anakin Skywalker had lost a mother on the sands of Tatooine; Darth Vader would not seek a son here.

Obi-Wan wasn?t sure even this drastic plan would ensure Luke?s safety, or that of his sister, but all he could do was trust in the Force. Obi-Wan knew that future of the Jedi order itself depended on the baby boy who slumbered quietly, unaware of his destiny. The first part of the plan had been accomplished, he and Luke had escaped detection, but now it remained for Obi-Wan to convince someone else to help him. He had never met Owen Lars, but Padme had thought highly of him, his father Cliegg, and girlfriend, Beru. He hoped that the couple would be willing to raise young Luke as their own, far from the prying eyes of the Empire. Obi-Wan took the sleeping baby boy into his arms and exited the ship, heading toward the small moisture farm.

Obi-Wan called out a greeting to the man who toiled so diligently under the twin suns. The man straightened up and looked at the approaching stranger. Although the man was still young, his face was lined from the harsh climate and hard work that was his lot. His smile, though cautious, was friendly enough.

?May I help you?? Owen Lars asked.

?My name is Obi-Wan Kenobi. It will take me a while to tell you my story, and this little fellow is quite tired. Can we go inside? Are your father and Beru here?? Obi-wan said quietly.

Owen looked startled at Obi-Wan?s knowledge of his family. His eyes drifted down to the fair-skinned child sleeping in Obi-Wan?s arms and frowned. ?You best get the little tyke out of these suns, he?ll burn if you?re not careful!? He turned and led Obi-Wan down into the entrance of his home.

?Beru!? he called out as he entered the much cooler living quarters. A quietly pretty young woman walked into the room. Her face betrayed little surprise at finding a strange man and a baby in her home. She seemed to take in stride all life had to throw at her, whether good or bad. She

2. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    Ohhhhh, it's soo cute...

I like, actually I'm surprised that Owen didn't put up more of a fight. Or that he and Obi didn't have a slight row. Knowing their anamosity towards each other latter. . .

:D

3. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Believe me, Obi-Wan and Owen will butt heads! Luke is just a baby now, and Owen knows he needs a home. But as Luke grows up Mr. Lars will have some choice words for "Ben" LOL!
    Kimberley

4. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    **singing happily** A series, a series! She's making it a series!! *cough* Umm, anyway....

I loved this so much. You could really feel Obi-Wan's anguish at what he was having to do--separating a child from his mother.

I also like the way you explained some things that have always raised questions. Why was Obi-Wan so certain that Anakin would never return to Tatooine? Why did they have Luke keep the last name Skywalker? Nicely done.

Owen did seem a bit more open to Obi-Wan than I would have thought, but you laid the groundwork for a more acrimonious relationship later on with just a few grimaces from Owen.

I'm wondering now if you're going to tell us your theory on how Obi-Wan got the nickname Ben.

I can't wait for whatever you have next!!

5. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I hate upping my own story, but I want to add that it is important to remember that this Owen is much more like the Owen in AOTC, not ANH. He is probably only in his mid-twenties and in love with a woman who dearly wants a child. The realities of raising a force sensitive child haven't become apparent yet. Also, he feels a debt to Shmi, who loved him like a son. That is my reasoning for Owen being so receptive to raising Luke. I see many changes ahead for the Lars family!
    Kimberley

6. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    You ARE doing a series!

Loved it.

These sands had helped forge the destiny of one Skywalker, he could only hope that they would be more merciful to his son.

Anakin Skywalker had lost a mother on the sands of Tatooine; Darth Vader would not seek a son here.

I thought these lines were especially poignant.

I also liked how you explained why Luke should keep his name as well as Obi-Wan taking the blanket to Padme.

Looking forward to your next viggie!

7. picciami

picciami Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    Ohh...that is sooo cute!!!

8. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    It's great! What's this about the 'series'?

Owen didn't seem out of character to me. He's what, twenty-five, and he's not crusty or nasty like he is in ANH. He was such a nice guy in AOTC. Keep going - I like this!

9. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Oohh how cute! I don't usually read Post AOTC fics but this one caught my eye. Very adorable. The characterizations seemed perfect. Excellent work.

10. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    This is so wonderfully written! I love the interaction you have between Owen and Beru. you write so well.

11. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Aw, this was so sweet! I loved seeing Luke's arrival, and you've portrayed Obi-Wan and the Lars well, too.

I also don't think Owen was OOC. I doubt he'd be snapping at Obi-Wan right from the start, when they were still strangers.

In fact, I don't think he actually disliked Obi-Wan personally even later on. He just was very protective of Luke, and realized the danger the boy would be in if he were trained as a Jedi and left Tatooine. So, of course, he and OW would butt heads over Luke because they wanted different things for him. But I think a lot of Owen's gruffness and resentment comes down to his fear that Luke would be placed in danger.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this short story and I'm looking forward to more.

Kristeh

12. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    this was great, Kim. This gives a real feeling for the hopelessness and the sadness of the era- Padme is seperated from her children, and Anakin is hunting them down like a madman. I can really feel Obi-Wan's anguish at having to seperate the Skywalker family, and it makes for a good paralell to what the Jedi Council did- seperate infants from their parents.

excellent post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.