main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga In a Moment's Hesitation -- an AU story where Vader doesn't come to Luke's rescue in time

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Ben_Max, Aug 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_Max

Ben_Max Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2001
    This is the first draft of the story that I just finished writing. If you have any feedback on it, I'd appreciate it.

In a Moment?s Hesitation

In this alternate universe tale, it approaches the climax from ?Return of the Jedi? when the Emperor is electrocuting Luke and Darth Vader finally turns from the dark side and kills the Emperor. But in this story, he acts only a moment too late.

"Now young Skywalker...you will die." An evil grin spread over the Emperor?s face, but it vanished into a sneer as Force Lightning shot from his fingertips once more and hit Luke, who once more screamed in pain.

Darth Vader stood at his master?s side and watched as his son screamed and writhed on the floor. As he watched, something began to happen to him. A change. A tiny light flickered inside of him. Like the flicker of a match on a moonless night, but a light nonetheless. The light began to grow. And grow.

What...what is happening to me? A voice responded in his mind, ?I have watched this from deep within for too long. The night has ended.?

Darth Vader felt a throb in his chest and he clenched his eyes shut in pain. When he opened them, everything had changed. It is as if I am seeing the world for the first time again...Anakin Skywalker had been reborn. He looked at his master, then down at his son, who had stopped screaming, but still squirmed from the pain. No. I will not watch my son die the same way as Padmé!

Anakin turned to face the Emperor and picked him up off the ground. Force Lightning spewed from the Emperor?s hands, but now fell back onto himself and Anakin. He gritted his teeth at the pain and trudged on towards a shaft to the core of the Deathstar. He felt the heat of the lightning begin to slightly deform the shape of his mask.

Once he had gotten close enough, Anakin heaved the Emperor over the edge of the balcony. He leaned over and watched as the Emperor?s echoed screams got smaller and smaller until a rush of blue fire came up the shaft and blew Anakin to the ground. He had grown weak and his breath came out hoarse.

He turned to look at his son. He still laid on the floor, not moving very much. Not much more than his chest faintly rise and fall in shallow breaths.

Anakin grunted as he got to his knees and crawled over to his son. He pulled him up onto his lap. Only then did Luke open his eyes. "Father...I?m dying..."

Anakin looked down at his son and tried to muffle his sobbing. "I know...Luke, I?m taking...my mask off. I want...us to look eye to eye...just once..."

Luke?s eyes opened a little bit more and he said, "No, Father!...You?ll die...too. Just...leave me..."

Anakin shook his head. "Noting...can stop that now...I want to see you...through my own eyes...just once..." Anakin lifted his hands and pulled the helmet off. He dropped it with a thud to the floor. He then placed his hands behind his head to peel off the mask. Fear ran its way through his body. The fear for his son to see what he had been hiding now for over 20 years. He could feel Luke?s fear, too. But they could be scared together. Anakin slowly pulled off the mask and looked into his son?s eyes.

Luke gasped softly and tears began to fall onto his cheeks. Seeing his son cry just made Anakin cry as well. "I am sorry, Luke...I am...so sorry."

"It's okay...Father...I came here...to bring you to the good side...To the light...I knew that my father was in there somewhere...behind the mask."

"I am glad...that you could know...that you were right...Even though...I could not see it...I only wish...your sister could know..."

"She will...I can't explain how I know...but she will..."

"If only...I had acted sooner...In that one moment?s hesitation...everything has been lost...the Jedi Order...will die..."

"As long as the Force exists...the Jedi Order will live on...Leia...will find...a way..." Luke moaned in pain and his eyes clenched shut. "This...is...it...Good-bye...Father..." Luke?s head slumped down into Anakin?s lap.

Ana

2. joy_noel

joy_noel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    NO! Say it isn't so. :_| Wow, that was so depressing. No Luke, no Jedi, no hope. :_|

3. Ben_Max

Nov 22, 2001
    Well, I really wasn't going for the idea of no hope for the Jedi. Just that it would be hundreds of years before they flourish again. And that there would never again be anyone as power as Anakin or Luke.

4. Ben_Max

Nov 22, 2001
  5. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    that was different I liked it alot. I always wondered what would happen if Vader had waited to long.
    So what's gonna happen to Vader?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.