main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

In brightest day... In Blackest Night... Green Lantern 2010

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Koohii, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    I wouldn't worry about the whole "Will be able to do both Deadpool and Green Lantern at the sametime?" debate. The Green Lantern script and pre-production is a lot farther along than what we've heard about a Deadpool script. GL is supposed to start main production in January 2010. We've heard almost nothing on a script or a production start for Deadpool. I think it's safe to say that production on a Deadpool movie won't start until mid/late 2010 at the earliest. I'm confident that Ryan Reynolds will be able to pull off doing both characters.

2. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    I can go along with Reynolds as Hal Jordan, but I'm not overjoyed about it at all. I just hope they don't try and make him TOO funny. To me, Reynolds already lacks the ability to convey the type of intelligence and discipline it takes to be a fighter pilot.

I'm just happy a Green Lantern film is in the works.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Have you seen him in Smokin' Aces? He does a good dramatic/serious character there. If he combines that with the confidence he usually projects in his comedic roles, I think he could pull off the fighter pilot thing just fine.

4. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    He's intelligent enough, he just doesn't look anything like Hal except that they're both white males in their 30s with all their limbs and organs intact (so far as we know!). If he can pull off a dramatic role, terrific, but it will still be Ryan Reynolds pulling off a dramatic role and not Hal Jordan aka Green Lantern. Dude is flat wrong for the part.

It's like casting, say, Nick Cage as Superman and then justifying it by citing Cage's acting prowess. It's not the skills that are in question here, it's the rightness for the role. Thank God (or Zod) that Cage was never cast in that part, as he would have looked and sounded ridiculous. I'm sensing a similar pattern here.

5. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    The Deadpool movie will never happen and if it does it will suck.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I will destroy you.

7. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I hope Reynolds is in the first 4 minutes then is replaced by BARAKA-POOL for the rest of the movie.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Fandom fixes everything.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0LhEeWdzFN8/SkzT3XebSwI/AAAAAAAABQ0/ZWiYy5XoCas/s1600-h/scarletvulture.jpg

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He'd have to wear make-up and a mask anyway.

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Green Lantern: First Flight came out today. Overall a very good movie. Christopher Meloni was great as Hal and Victor Garber was fantastic as Sinestro. They also had several well know actors for supporting cast. Kanjar Ro was played by Kurtwood Smith (Red Foreman!) and Tomar-Re was played by John Larroquette.

While, I wouldn't want the live action to be a straight adaption of this movie, there were several great scenes that would be fantastic for live action. :cool:

11. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    I just bought the Blu-Ray Green Lantern: First Flight with the free action figure at Best Buy. I can't get enough GL lately.

12. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    One of my favorite parts of First Flight is the homage to the Mos Eisley cantina scene.

13. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Just finished watching First Flight. After Superman Doomsday, Justice League New Frontier, and Gotham Knights, I wasn't expecting very much. Wow, was I unprepared! Probablly the best DC movie since Justice League Unlimited ended (and yes, I'm including Batman Begins and Dark Knight, as well as Superman Returns in that list). Almost as good as if Bruce Tim were back in charge. OK, Sinestro's weapon looked a little like Unicron's infant offspring, but all-in-all a very good movie--worthy of a theater release.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  15. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    Years ago...when I was reading the "Emerald Twilight" storyline, I thought Dennis Qaid would have been a great Hal Jordan. But that was in the 90's. My thoughts are...Ryan Reynolds would make a good Kyle Rayner.

But Hollywood casting is just doing this:

Chris Evans/Human Torch...Captain America
    Ryan Reynolds/Hannibal King/Deadpool/Green Lantern

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Green Lantern Wondercon footage (4 minute reel):

Apple Link

Youtube Link

:eek: AMAZING!

After that crappy trailer, they clearly had to nail this one to win back people.

Yeah, the mask still looks like bad CGI, but the scene of Hal first saying the oath makes me not care.

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Yup. Much better. I had to pause several times to catch all the GL's in there. Geoffrey Rush is a great choice to voice Tomar Re. And the rumor is Michael Clarke Duncan is voicing Kilowog.

Once against very excited for this film. Such a shame the merchandise is terrible though.

18. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I have now given up all doubt. This movie will be awesome. I am not worthy to watch this.

19. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I also have to say Mark Strong is nailing the part of Sinestro. I can't wait until he gets the yellow ring and goes all Sinestro Corps War for the sequel.

20. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Um, OA looks kinda like Unicron.... Or Apocolypse...
    And the escape pod... Not sure if that's one of the Geonosian Solar Sailers of the vulcan red-matter ship.

So, could be good.
    Could be teener/blockbuster fodder.

As always, I'm waiting for the DVDs

21. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm excited, and I'm encouraged by Reynolds saying Hal's not a funny guy and that it's within the first act of the film that he gets the ring and has to start becoming the serious Hal Jordan we all know and love. Not the cocky flyboy who cracks a few jokes here and there.

And is that yellow/black cloud Parallax? Wow.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Whose the scientist bad guy who looks to get infected by Parallax? He's not the dude that looks like Sinestro's head in the comics, is he?

23. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    It's Hector Hammond.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, yeah that's the guy. When I read my first few GL trades a few years ago, he popped up at the end of one of them for the first time and confused the hell out of me cause I was like "so why is Sinestro saying that, and why is his head so huge/body so tiny now?".

Thankfully they're a little more distinct in the movie, it seems. ;)

25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I thought the strongest part of the footage was that centred on Strong's Sinestro. He seems like smart casting for the role.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.