main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

In brightest day... In Blackest Night... Green Lantern 2010

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Koohii, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    This. Is. The. Corps.

I have just found my new background. I just got into Green Lantern last year and I'm proud to say I know who everyone in that picture is.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think I only know 6 or 7 of them, but then it's been a while since I've read a GL trade, and I've only read 3 stories (Recharge, Rebirth & Sinestro Corps War...waiting for Blackest Night to hit paperback).

3. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah same here. I did get Rage of the Red Lanterns and Agent Orange about a week ago. Larfleeze is so great. I do wonder how far into the mythos the movies will go if it's successful. Sinestro with the Qwardian ring is pretty much guaranteed for the sequel, hopefully with the Sinestro Corps in tow. Carol becoming a Star Sapphire is also pretty likely. I wonder if they'll cover the Red Lanterns, or heck even the Blackest Night as the franchise goes on.

4. DX6channel

DX6channel Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 2010
    New Trailer:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810166777/video/25116657

5. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    SINESTRO CORPS SYMBOL! :eek:[face_hypnotized][face_dancing]

6. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I still haven't read any GL although I have been meaning to.

But this film looks so....beautiful. This definitely looks to be the film that will make the sci-fi fan within me very happy.

7. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I said over at Superhero Hype in a thread where folks speculate that GL might get burnt by critics, I think there's about as much risk in this movie for WB as there was for 20th Century Fox with Star Wars in '77. It's got stuff that's just... bizarre and maybe "too" exotic such that it might make you doubt whether folks will go for it. GL's relatively obscure for most people despite the name and mythos being pretty much the same age as that of Batman and Superman.

GL could turn into the kind of sleeper hit that Star Wars was. The only thing potentially weighing it down in that respect is the fact that it's a comic book, and people still aren't fully accepting of comics. And this has to be the most brightly colored comic movie we've had since, well anything.

8. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I'm looking forward to it because I hope it is "bizarre and maybe "too" exotic"

I'm burnt out on the superhero movie plot formula - hero origin, villain tied to origin, essentially a big montage, silly quips, fight at the end in the city

Not that GL sounds much different, but at least its that IN SPAAAAACE

9. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I've been worried too, but it does have a lot of things going for it to get viewers. The whole premise is every 10 year old's dream so they should be getting a lot of younger viewers. Having Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively should help get female viewers. I think it will do well, not Dark Knight well, or even Iron Man well, but well enough that DC will have another movie franchise. Of course If I'm wrong and this bombs I will officially give up hope on all mankind.

10. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I hope it does well too. I wouldn't say it'll be Dark Knight huge, but it should do pretty well, I think.

Alot of non-comic book fans I know say they want to see at least and that's a fairly good barometer.

11. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah I was watching Green Lantern: First Flight with my RA a few months ago and some other guys came in with no knowledge of Green Lantern. They thought it was an awesome concept and they all asked why they haven't done a movie of him yet. I was so happy until one of them blurted out they did a month ago with Seth Rogen. I then had to spend 5 minutes explaining the Green Hornet is not the Green Lantern.

12. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I just had the same conversation with my sister this evening! Then I had to explain to her that, yes, Ryan Reynolds was in another superhero movie, Wolverine. And, no, it doesn't have anything to do with Green Lantern. Then I had to explain to her the difference between Marvel and DC superhero movies.

13. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    New trailer narrated by Tomar Re(Geoffrey Rush) best trailer I've seen. REALLY looking forward to June 17th, the effects are spectacular.
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167353-new-green-lantern-trailer

14. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Now that was a Green Lantern trailer! Very good idea to give Tomar-Re a Jor-El sort of narration, which is ironic that people on the Hype are criticizing that despite that it gives important information to people watching and saying to themselves "what's this guy all about?"

This will be the first movie ever that I go to see in full blown IMAX 3D, and I'm excited. My 5 year old is going to have a blast with me. He's already got his first movie Hal Jordan figure, and the mask and ring roleplay set. I need to find him a GL tshirt so we can both be dressed up for this.

I've never even worn a Star Wars shirt to a Star Wars movie, but I'm going to see Green Lantern wearing a GL t-shirt and dark grey pants. Haha. And probably a ring, though since the 1:4 scale ring and power battery sets from DC Direct don't come out until July I'll probably be wearing a plastic White Lantern ring I got with Brightest Day #1.

15. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I liked the trailer because it gives people with no knowledge of Green Lantern a good reference for what it is. My parents know nothing of Green Lantern and this trailer helped them a lot, my dad actually says he wouldn't mind seeing it now. So I'll see it a second time with my whole family for a family movie night.

But I'm going with my two best friends on the midnight premiere at a fancy movie theater with a larger than normal screen in 3D. I've got a Green Lantern T-Shirt and a smaller one that doesn't fit. I also got about 5 3D masks from the action figures. I know my one friend will where the small shirt and the mask, my other friend will probably take the bigger one. That will leave me with my Sinestro Corps shirt.

16. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    that is so many stages above than the last teaser/trailer, and so INFINATELY better than the first teaser, that I have to wonder why they bothered with the first one.

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The first one really hurt them. I think they would have been infinitely better with a small teaser of him just reciting the oath rather than showing half finished effects months before it was ready. Because of that, they've been forced to ramp up the marketing and pump out a new trailer just about every month now. I think it's successfully turned most of the doubters, but it's hard to erase the feelings the first trailer evoked. That said, I think this movie will do very well and I love the simplified version Tomar Re gave for the story of the corps and parallax.

I too intend to go to the midnight premiere with a t-shirt and ring. Still looking for the shirt, but I got the light up rings from the brightest day pack before my local comic shop went out of business.

18. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm scrambling to find a decent ring for myself. Just not sure I want to spend 15-20 on a comic style light up ring now and then a couple months down the road get the same ring with a power battery too... That said, I don't like the movie sculpt rings I'm finding online, though the one that projects the GL Corps symbol is a cool idea it just seems all clunky.

19. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    The rings for the various other colors of the rainbow that came out a couple years ago seem pretty good. OK, I've only seen blue & orange because the others disappeared when I wasn't looking (I don't go into comic shops much), but still, decent. Oh, they had limited edition clear pinkish and green, but I didn't feel like spending $35-55 for one...

20. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Those rings are all coming out again with their own 1:4 scale power batteries and a nice little thing to put both the battery and the ring on.

21. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I picked up a die cast power ring key chain from Toys 'R Us today. It's an exclusive for them, and the ring comes off the key chain and it's adult sized. Pretty cool.

[image=http://www.mwctoys.com/images/review_glring_4.jpg]
    [image=http://www.mwctoys.com/images/review_glring_3.jpg]

22. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    First official clip.

Featuring Kilowog, where he
    says
    it

Poozers

23. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
  24. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    First time I read that, I was wondering if that meant they were light-up rings...

Is it just the Green, or all the colors?

25. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I've seen all of them on Entertainment Earth.

Just watched Green Lantern: Emerald Knights. Pretty great. Though I'm unclear on the continuity between it and First Flight... there's animation and design continuity, but they've gone with the comic mythos rather than the green and yellow element stuff from First Flight, which is good. And Sinestro is still a GL... so it somehow takes place during the time period of First Flight if it is intended to be in continuity with that film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.