main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

In brightest day... In Blackest Night... Green Lantern 2010

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Koohii, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I pre-orderd Emerald Knights on amazon and got a notice that it's been shipped so I'll probably get it in a day or two. I'm really surprised that I'm getting it before the 6 Booster Gold TPBs I ordered three weeks ago though. But back to Emerald Knights, I was under the impression it had no connection to First Flight and that the animation was just a coincidence. Like how Superman Braniac Attacks had no connection to Superman the Animated Series. So I don't think were supposed to see it in the same continuity as First Flight.

Also reserved my tickets for me and my two friends for the midnight premiere next Thursday on Fandango. I'm excited, even though I feel like I've already seen the whole movie with all the clips they keep releasing. I'm hoping it does well at the box office, it's only got a week before Cars 2 and Transformers 3 come in, and I'm guessing those will probably make A LOT of money.

2. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Just got back from the midnight screening. Boy was I impressed. All the negative reviews the critics were giving it had me worried but, wow, just wow. It wasn't Dark Knight quality, nothing will be that. But was it Thor or Iron Man? Definitely. Give it an 7.5 out of 10. Would have given it an 8 out of 10 if they had done something with the Star Sapphire Corps at the end for payoff for Carol's characterization, she really set up getting the ring for the deep love she feels for Hal.

Sinestro was perfect, I mean perfect. Mark Strong nailed him. The Corps doesn't do much other than Tomar Re and Kilowog who were great. The Guardians are pretty much how the are in the comics, very aloof.

Blake Lively did a good job on Carol, not Oscar worthy but she impressed me. I could believe her getting the violet ring now.

Ryan Reynolds was a great Hal Jordan. I know a lot of people questioned it but he was just so right for it in the movie. Ryan is Hal Jordan for me now.

Hector Hammond was a very well done villain, very creepy in a weird stalkerish kinda way.

They didn't hold back on the ring constructs either, Hal was very creative with them. I loved the GIANT FIST to Paralax at the end, that was just great.

Paralax was a lot better done than Galactus, I think Clancy Brown was voicing him and it was great.

The special effects were amazing, I saw the 3D version and I feel the 3D improved the film rather than detracted from it.

All in all a very good movie. I look forward to a sequel.

And stay for the end of the credits for... SINESTRO CORPS SINESTRO!

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    This is good to hear.

With the buzz about bad reviews and on top of that the negativity at SHH... I was a bit worried. Most likely I'll enjoy it.

I just wonder if GL isn't hitting a wall that people have only just starting realizing exists with superhero movies? I mean, we are getting a glut of them right now. All the build up to the Avengers from Marvel, Batman 3 next year, The Man of Steel. It makes you wonder if people, and critics especially, are just at their wits end. And with GL and Thor you've got a less than simple mythos.

4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I saw it at midnight last night. The movie could be summed up in one word: Rushed.

It's clear they rushed production and they rushed the pacing. The script could have used a bit more fine tuning. The idea wasn't terrible. But it was too short. Things they should have done to fix this movie:

Show us more of Abin Sur. We keep hearing he was the greatest lantern blah blah but when we see him, he's taken down in minutes. His wound didn't even look that severe and yet it kills him.

More Sinestro. Seriously not even sure how this didn't occur to the film makers and Geoff Johns! Sinestro is such a fascinating character and Mark Strong did a brilliant job with what little time he had. Other than his speech, a brief training with Hal and some chats with the Guardians, he's largely sidelined. I'd say Tomar Re had more dialogue.

And on that note, this movie should have featured the Green Lanterns in more than glorified cameos. They had an excellent opportunity when Sinestro led them to fight Parallax but squandered it by taking them out faster than Palpatine taking down the jedi. So fast in fact that you can't even tell which lanterns were killed. And really, who wouldn't object to more Kilowog. Would have loved to see him, Sinstro, Tomar and a few others helping Hal at the end. Wanted to throw something when Hal suggests taking on Parallax all by himself. Luke had more training when he went off to fight Vader!

Less Earth! When people claim this is the next Star Wars, I think SPACE! nearly 85% of the movie is on Earth.

Character Development- Carol gets enough. So does Hal I suppose. But it seems as though they cut corners. My guess was the movie was supposed to start with Martin Jordan's plane crash. Instead, they chopped it up and put it in a flashback. And other things like Hector Hammond's relationship to Hal and Carol were glossed over as well as whatever importance Senator Hammond had. You have Amanda "The Wall" Waller in this film and barely use her. We assume she survived because Hal sent her out of harm's way, but that's the last we see of her. Even a mention of Cadmus or Suicide Squad would have been great. She had the potential to be DC's Nick Fury and start to tie movies together. Such a waste. And really, so much missed opportunity to develop Sinestro and the other lanterns that I can't complain about this enough. You spend all this time rendering them and then don't use them!? Unbelievable fail.

Explanation of the villian please: Not one person said Krona. Not only that but none of the guardians were named. Now, I can guess that it was Ganthet speaking since he's the only one with a ponytail. And the female was likely Sayd because she's the only female Guardian I'm aware of next to Scar.

No quitting after a day!: Hal absolutely should have been training much longer. He should have been on a mission. Such a missed opportunity to have Sinestro teaching Hal field tactics and having him go to an alien world. Now THAT would be more like Star Wars. When Green Lantern: First Flight can do it, I expect the real movie to do much better. Heck, stick him with a bunch of rookies and really let Kilowog shine for longer than 5 minutes.

You can't kill FEAR!: Parallax should not be able to die in the sun. Trapped there? Ok perhaps. But not burning up. Also, poor choice in killing Hector. Even if you weren't planning to use him again, the decision to always kill the villians just makes things dull. The idea that a villian can still escape, can still pose a threat offers far more suspense. This movie dispatched the two villians so quickly that one really has to know why the Guardians were so afraid and why Sinestro wasn't bright enough to think "Oh! I'll just lure it into the sun! I can use my fellow corpsman as decoys!

Better fallout from the public reveal- A superhero is a big deal. And yet, Coast City (which I don't think I ever heard mentioned by name by the way), seems only slightly excited about a Green glowing superhero.
    I felt like I was given the cliff notes of the story a

5. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Yeah I have some of your same complaints but it didn't ruin the movie for me. I would've liked to see more of the Corps but the movie isn't about the Green Lantern Corps, it's about the Green Lantern, it's about Hal Jordan. And since it was just the intro to the mythology I'd expect to see the Corps get more screentime next time.

And I don't think Paralax is dead. I think what he we saw was Krona possessed by Paralax, Krona might be dead, but Paralax is probably still alive. Just look at Sinestros eyes at the end credits.

I would've liked it to be longer too but it seemed fine for the length. I think a lot of things are supposed to be answered in the next movie, like why would Sinestro want the yellow ring.

And If I remember Secret Origin the Guardians didn't go by names, only one called himself Ganthet and he kept it secret. so Krona might not even have had a name.

Still upon sleeping on it I'd still give it a 7.5/10

6. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I have to agree with this.

I saw it today and I thought it was pretty good. I didn't like it nearly as well as Thor but probably slightly more than X-Men: First Class. I really cracked up when Carol figured out Hal was Green Lantern. "Did you think I wouldn't know it was you just because I can't see your cheekbones?" :p

7. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah, you can't kill feat itself. Anyone who uses the yellow rings will probably be possessed by Paralax to a degree, kinda like how Hammond was.

And I loved Carols comment on the mask too. I laughed so hard when Hal was doing his own Batman voice. [face_laugh]

Great way to lampshade the mask too.

I do wish it was a bit longer mainly so we could get some more characterization from the Lanterns, especially the strike force Sinestro took to take on Paralax, it wouldn't have been that hard to let the audience know some of their names and here them talk a bit so when 4 of them die we actually feel bad. Heck Red Shirts on Star Trek got more characterization than those guys. But like I said, this one was about Hal, the next one should have more of the Corps.

8. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I also want to know more about the strikeforce. Specifically I want to know more about how Sinestro got away from Paralax. Maybe he was infected in some way similar to Hammond. It was only after that that he suggested creating the yellow ring, right?

9. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I'm pretty sure Stel, Tomar Re, and Kilowog were on the strikforce too. Only four Lanterns got killed so if it was about 12 or so like I think another 8 should have escaped. I think after the four lanterns were killed Sinestro just sounded retreat and they all got the heck out of dodge. Paralax seemed to be in the middle of devouring a world so he didn't pursue. But I don't think Paralax turned Sinestro into a sleeper agent or anything. I really wish they would've given five more minutes of the strike force to get who was there and who they were. I'm almost positive Kilowog and Tomar were there.

10. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm avoiding reading all the spoiler tags for obvious reasons. I'm seeing this tomorrow.

However, the one comment I looked at was that Abin Sur should be shown to be more of a bad a Lantern. Here's the thing I don't think Abin Sur has ever been given that kind of development in the comics, and certainly not in the origin story of how Hal Jordan became a Green Lantern. Secret Origin was the template for this film, and Abin Sur gets hardly any page time at all.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's ok. It's not the worst comic film so far but not among the better entries of recent years.

Best comparison would be (for me at least, since I actually really liked Daredevil) to say it's not as good as Daredevil, but handles the material better than the Daredevil movie handled it's material.

Overall style and feel is lighter than most recent comic films- closer to those of the 80's and 90's, with a bit of a mix between Superman 1, Superman 2 and Batman Forever (though without the full-on camp of the latter) with a dash of trying to rip off Iron Man (though that brings it a modern tone at least). There's several sequences that are definitely reminiscent of the first two Superman films.

Still, it doesn't really give the story the time it needs so it feels a tad rushed and certain jumps back and forth between locations are a bit odd in terms of the story structure that kinda hurts the film's ability to gain momentum (specifically, the bar scene between the lantern oath scene and the flight to Oa and, most annoyingly, that Hal travels all the way to Oa just to ask for permission to defend the planet he just came from. He should have already chosen to leave Earth by then and been on Oa for a bit so that him asking to go back would have more weight..

The action sequences/heroic are actually quite good. Reynolds is pretty good, as is Mark Strong. Skaarsgard is ok as Hector. Everyone else (non-Lantern characters) really doesn't register. The universe they try to build here is effective enough, for sure.

Still, it's watchable. And is a decent enough base that they could do some good stuff with the sequel if they focus on the story more next time.

12. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    On Hal going to Oa to ask for permission, he wanted the Guardians to send help that's why he went. It would've been better had Sinestro agreed to go with Hal to defend Earth, it would've made a friendship between them seem evident and it would've put in the story that Sinestro isn't above disobeying the Guardians to do what he thinks is necessary. Seeing Hal and Sinestro taking on Paralax by themselves would've been awesome, but I can understand them wanting Hal to be the hero. Or better yet Sinestro comes back with a whole bunch of lanterns when Hal is enveloped by Paralax, we get the Corps and Sinestro looking awesome and we can still have Hal save the day.

But a sequel should be much better, they have the background now, they have the origin. Now we can get to the Sinestro Corps War and the War of Light.

13. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    My issue with Hal going it alone is that there was no good reason other than the Guardians said no. And it seemed like the lanterns sometimes did what they wanted anyway. So the fact that NONE of the 2000+ help after that big speech by Sinestro about unity and being undefeated etc. makes the corps look pretty bad. The guardians are always jerks so it doesn't matter if they look bad. :p

What's upsetting is there were several ways to address this. Have another galactic crisis like a planet exploding, have Sinestro's strike force out hunting Parallax on the other side of the galaxy and therefore not able to reach Hal in time so Hal has to go it alone. The fact that they were all just sitting on Oa while Hal (a half trained ROOKIE!) goes off on a suicide mission is just ridiculous

Also on my comments on Abin. I just feel like he went out far too fast. There was a great opportunity for a battle showing us what the ring could do and instead he's taken out in minutes and flees. The movie's pacing was too fast. This is an area where it could have taken a little material. Why? to introduce the audience better to the rings and the constructs. Too much was left to Tomar Re to explain. And that was about 20 minutes in.

14. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah to be honest it did seem that the Corps just waits around for Sinestro to make speeches that they can yell "WE ARE THE CORPS!" at the end of. ;)

It is explainable that the Guardians have recalled all the Lanterns to Oa to wait for Paralax's attack, but it still seems like they aren't doing anything. And the Guardians didn't order Hal to stop Paralax but from their perspective letting a rookie lantern sacrifice himself really isn't that much of a loss. And Sinestro, Kilowog, and Tomar did arrive right after Hal defeated Paralax so apparently they were trying to come help him. It would've been better if they came in and saved Hal and then Hal defeats Paralax.

15. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Meh, I thought it was a great movie. All the hate for it just seems, I don't know... because people wanted to doubt it.

I don't know what it was, I can see some editing issues especially on OA. I assume more time passed than we got an impression of.

One seventh of Secret Origin is on Oa training. Hal's inner monologue suggests it was so whirlwind that he had no idea how long he was there. It says

Sure, it would have been nice for him to be in a boot camp with Kilowog and other recruits and an induction ceremony with them speaking the Oath at the end of it... but I'm not sure it had to be all that long.

16. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Glad you liked it too. All the people I've talked to who have seen the movie enjoyed it. It's just one of those things where critics and audiences differ. I hope it does well at the box office, it's budget was pretty high. I'm hoping it does well in international markets cause with Cars 2, Transformers 3, and Harry Potter coming out I don't see it staying number 1 for more than a week. Of course I heard they're already starting production on the second movie so maybe WB is just trying to push the franchise no matter what.

But the thing with Hal is his origin isn't really that grand, once you get into the Sinestro Corps War, the War of Light, and even the Blackest Night things get really awesome and movie like. But now that we got the origin and backstory done we can get right into the good stuff.

And Dawud786, you did stay for the end of credits scene though right?

17. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Honestly, this was the movie I was waiting for this summer. Perhaps I expected better. But if that is so, then it's due to the hype DC made for it as well as the cast. When I hear Geoff Johns is involved and they have all these lanterns, I was expecting them to feature a bit more heavily. I wasn't expecting the Earth portion to dominate the film. I expected it to be the end battle for certain, but Green Lantern is essentially space cops.
    I saw no cop work. Even First Flight had Sinestro and Hal traveling to another planet. It also had the corps hunting down a wanted criminal. Here the corps were just window dressing despite all the touting of how many they had included as well as the big name voice actors they had. And I certainly expected Sinestro to have as much time as Hal and certainly more than Hector or Carol. Sinestro and Hal's relationship is so very important and it's the least developed of the relationships in this film.

18. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    "We're gonna do a Montage!"
    "Mon-TAGE..."

19. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    To be honest if I was in charge of the sequel I'd do things like this. First introduce the Star Sapphire Corps and have Carol get recruited. And have the Star Sapphires use the crystals that sort of mind controlled them instead of the rings. Hal then has to deal with his girlfriend being his enemy, and Carol gets to do something other than get put in danger.

Hal and the Corps then fight the Star Sapphires throughout space. Hal and Sinestro work together to defeat the Star Sapphires and become better friends over the course of the movie until the end when Sinestro tries to wipe out all the Zammorans and Star Sapphires, the Guardians cut off power to his green ring, Sinestro realizing the Guardians won't do what's necessary puts on the yellow ring and asks Hal to join him and help bring peace and order to the universe, Hal rejects him they fight, Carol breaks free of her mind control and manages to harness the violet power and helps Hal. Sinestro retreats. The Guardians and Zammorans meet to discuss a treaty or something and the movie ends with Sinestro sending out thousands of yellow rings setting up the third film for the Sinestro Corps War.

And with that plot you'd have pretty much 80% of the movie in space and what not with the Green Lantern Corps getting a lot more screentime.

Edit: Perhaps the most important thing I would do is get Hans Zimmer or John Williams to give the movie a freaking score. I mean I didn't even remember if it had one, Green Lantern deserves something epic and memorable that you can hum for a few days.

20. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    The score was a definite problem area. There were touches of greatness there, but then it'd often fall flat. I also have a feeling that WB wants to push the franchise, but simultaneously didn't really want to fully invest in it... and thus we end up with edits that chop out possibly tons of effects heavy stuff. Training on Oa, Sinestro's squad of GLs going to fight Parallax. Possibly more about Krona specifically.

I could see the Star Sapphire thing working and having Sinestro and Hal work closely on that one. And Tomar-Re and Kilowog. Another important thing, perhaps, with Sinestro's development is to show that his sector is the most ordered sector in the universe and since the Guardians generally have a rule against fraternization between Lanterns anywhere but Oa, it's not known just how it is Sinestro keeps it that way. During the Star Sapphire crisis Hal sees why Sinestro's sector is so chill... Sinestro is Space Hitler. Much like Emerald Dawn II. Just work the Star Sapphires into it. Heck, maybe Sinestro's already recruited his Corps and they are doing that for him while he's still being a GL.

The movie wasn't perfect, but it was great fun. A real blast to watch and a treat for my son who has been getting exposed to GL for the past couple years because of my new found interest because of Johns' comic work.

If I had my druthers I'd probably take elements of First Flight and this movie and combine them. More time with Kilowog like Secret Origin too. I just wouldn't be in any rush to have Sinestro put on the yellow ring and attack the GLC like First Flight was.

And, yeah, I stayed for the end credits scene... but I also watched it on YouTube yesterday. I thought there was just enough development of Sinestro to make that scene logical, but he could have used more time to show how ruthless he can be. Movie Sinestro is kind of a kitten compared to comic and animated Sinestro.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think that was one of the problems with the film- it seems like it's trying to rush through everything to get to Sinestro Corps War (which is somewhat understandable, given that was the major story of the last decade that kicked GL into the spotlight in the comics industry- it's just that it comes across like they're trying to do the story for "movie #3" for "movie #2"). They really should have given Sinestro and Hal more time, so that his eventual betrayal has more impact, instead of jumping him into yellow suit right off the bat.

22. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah I agree completely. WB needs to take this slow. If they do Sinestro Corps War for the sequel I don't have much hope, it needs a lot more development to be good. WB should do a sequel setting up the Sinestro Corps War, the third movie be the Sinestro Corps War. Then start another trilogy with the War of Light and the other Lantern Corps ending with Blackest Night.

It really depends on if WB wants to do a franchise or just introduce Green Lantern, get a few bucks, and move on to Justice League.

23. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Saw the movie.
    Most importantly, saw the movie with a civilian--someone who is not a comic geek, and knew nothing about GL. She thinks Ryan Reynolds is hot.
    As far as she was concerned, the movie was kick-ass fantastic, and she plans to buy the DVD.

It was OK.
    Not perfect. Not a disaster.
    Could have been much better with very little effort, but like most movies didn't bother to got that one extra step.

To me, all the camera shaking as AbinSur's ship was destroyed was annoying. Same with Hal running to the escape pod--there was no reason to shake the camera for that. With the attack on the ship, it was to hide the flaws in a CGI rush job. Really, they should have slowed down that sequence so we could actually see what was going on. Oh-well.

As a movie targetted to the general populous, a success. For the comic fans, not so much.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Last word was WB wasn't planning on copying Marvel's shared universe approach, and will instead have Justice League be recast/unconnected to the Bat-Nolan, Man of Steel and GL films.

Though, if they were really smart, they'd use JL to introduce John Stewart or Kyle Raynar, then tie it back to GL with both Lanterns in Sinestro Corps War.

Though, I suppose they could do so in a direct GL sequel as well- but using JL might make the second Lantern seem less like an echo of Rhodey/War Machine (especially if it's Stewart), which could be an issue given the comparisons to Iron Man already stacked against the first film.

25. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah I heard about that. What I meant was they introduce the characters and concepts so when they do a Justice League movie the audience already has a familiarity with the characters and they don't need to rehash everyone's origins again. The audience in Justice League wouldn't go "Green Lantern? What's that? What's with the ring?" They'll just go "Oh yeah, I know about him."

Introducing John Stewart, Guy Gardner, and Kyle Rayner will be tough. It'll really pull the movie back to more earth scenes and detract from the space and Corps portions. It'll be interesting how they pull that off, which I'm almost confident that they will try to put John Stewart in if not Kyle too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.