main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends In Case of Emergency - Mara and Luke vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: In Case of Emergency
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Mara and Luke
    Summary: Marriage changes everything.

In Case of Emergency

Mara stared at the flimsy, wondering what it was about those four little words that had given her pause. She lifted the stylus, quite prepared to put a dash. That dash meant that there was nothing ? no one - to put in that blank. It indicated everything that had defined her.

Before.

Before Luke, there had been no name to put there, no one who really cared if she lived or died. Or if she needed them in case of an emergency. She was on her own, even when she was sick or hurt. The Emperor would have been displeased if she had died, but only because she represented a huge investment for him. Many credits had been spent molding her into the perfect assassin, the Emperor?s Hand.

She had served him well, and his investment had been repaid many times over. Other than Palpatine, there was no one else in the galaxy that she could named who would have cared if she died today. In fact, there would probably be a few celebrations. She had no one to call her own.

Until she had met Luke.

And loved him.

Biting her lip, Mara stared at the tiny blank space following the words that had thrown her. In case of emergency? In spite of herself, she felt hot tears stinging at her eyes. How often had she been in a med center, scared but trying not to show it? Knowing that no one was sitting anxiously in the waiting room or holding her hand while the medic examined her? Now all of that seemed to belong to someone else.

Laughing at herself, Mara carefully wrote his name.

In case of emergency, contact: Luke Skywalker.

Relationship to patient: Husband.

May this emergency contact be given health information? Yes.

She stared at the form for a moment, strangely reluctant to give it to the woman who held out her hand expectantly. Then, giving a little sigh at her own foolishness, Mara handed the form to the woman who glanced at it and then dismissed it as just another one in an ever-growing pile on her desk.

Mara turned and found a seat. They were on a small planet far from the Core and there were few medical facilities. She had not even wanted to come at all, but Luke had insisted during their comm call.

His expression had been both patient and firm. ?Mara?? A tiny note of concern laced his voice. ?Now this is silly,? he chided her gently, causing her to frown. ?You know I?m going to worry about you until you let me know that everything?s all right.?

?You?re the one being silly,? she muttered, carefully avoiding his gaze and examining her nails. How had that grease gotten under there? Damn.

?Mara?? Luke?s gentle tone made her meet his eyes. ?Please??

There it was.

With that simple word, he had roused up all the feelings they shared, the bond that linked them no matter how far apart they were. He loved her and with his love, and because she loved him, came a responsibility on her part to keep him from worrying when she could. ?Oh all right?? she said with ill-concealed reluctance. ?I?m telling you, it?s just the flu or something.? She sniffed. ?It?ll just run its course.?

?Well, I?ll feel better when the medic has said it?s just the flu or something.? His eyes crinkled as he smiled and she found herself wanting to kiss those lines. She had always found them oddly attractive.

?I?ll comm you later,? she said. ?And I?ll tell them to bill you.?

?I?ll be waiting,? he assured her.

That had been early morning ? two days ago. She had eased her guilty conscience by reminding herself that she had never said exactly when she would visit the medic. Then she had woken up this morning feeling worse than ever. Reluctantly, she had decided that Luke just might be right. For once.

So here she was, waiting for a medic, getting all misty-eyed and girly over a stupid form.

In case of emergency.

She sighed and closed her eyes. Sleep had proven elusive since she had started feeling bad. Ev

2. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this!!! Did you by chance have a doctor's appointment and was infused with inspiration???

Favorite line: He?s my?? Mara stopped and laughed. ?He?s my in case of emergency.?

Bravo! =D=

3. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Great vig!! :D [face_love] Mara's lucky to have Luke as her in case of emergency... [face_love] I wish Luke was my in case of emergency. :p

4. Rivad_Bacar2

Rivad_Bacar2 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2004
    ?You worried about me,? she said in wonder.

He shrugged, and she could tell he was embarrassed. ?I seem to do that a lot,? he admitted.

=D= This reminded me of the first time I had to fill out one of those forms after I was married. It felt strangely right to be able to put my wife's name in that space, and you captured that feeling in Mara so well. Great job! :D

5. Jedimaster_JainaSolo

Jedimaster_JainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2003
    =D=Aww,[face_love] That was sweet. great vig!

[face_cowboy]Dana[face_cowboy]

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Perfect. Sweet. Just the right tone. Huggles!!! :D

7. aurrasingrules101

aurrasingrules101 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2003
    Just adorable.=D=

Mara was alone for far too long. She deserved the happiness she got with Luke. And the same is true for him, really. And it was very Luke-like of him to show up like that to be with her[face_love]

Awesome job!=D=

8. Dana-Skywalker

Dana-Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    ?He?s my?? Mara stopped and laughed. ?He?s my in case of emergency.?

What can I say, besides "AW!" [face_love]

LOL, I wonder what inspired you to write this . . . All those hospital, school, work, etc. forms? [face_thinking] Any way, I'm glad you did! Sweet piece. I wish my 'in case of emergency' was Luke! O:)

9. MarasFire

MarasFire Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2007
    I hate to echo everyone else, but this was so perfectly sweet! [face_love] =D=

I never thought about that scenario, but it definitely would be one of those moments that shows how marriage changes your life.

I loved Mara's last line... How do you manage to write L/M so incredibly??

10. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    *cue big 'ole AWWWWW!!!* [face_love]

Perfect way to cheer up my not-so-fabulous day :D Just when I think you have written the most unique L/M out there, and you put out a last line like that ;) Awesome job!

11. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    It amazes me how you can take a simple line from a doctor's medical info sheet and turn it into something profound. The situation was perfect to describe that change in her life from a different perspective than just her new name.

I imagine the "in case of emergency" in her past was Kardde or "the nearest Imperial outpost commander"

?You?re the one being silly,? she muttered, carefully avoiding his gaze and examining her nails. How had that grease gotten under there? Damn.

Out of all the details, this one caught me the most. Wonderful way to express how even Mara can deny what she doesn't want to hear, even from her husband.

Excellence as always! =D=

12. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    OOOhhhhhh myy goshhhhh! MamaV!!! That was amazing! After handing out "HIPAA" (in case of emergency) forms to it seems every patient who walks into the doctor's office I work at--that made it so beautiful! *happy sigh* Gosh, I'm gonna smile like a nutcase every time I hand one of those out now!

=D= Absolutely an amazingly beautiful little moment! You're so good at those....wow. You made my night!!!

Huggles!
    [face_good_luck] Irish

13. Jedi_of_Imladris

Jedi_of_Imladris Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 14, 2004
    Oh! So sweet! It's the little things that are so cute and romantic. You captured the sweetness of the moment perfectly. Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master and Mara's "in case of emergency." Perfect!

14. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    ?He?s my?? Mara stopped and laughed. ?He?s my in case of emergency.?
    LOVED this!! [face_love] This fic was adorably sweet![face_love] Perfection! :*
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

15. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    So sweet! Everybody needs a Luke just in case of an emergency... ;)

16. Jedi_Emeritus

Jedi_Emeritus Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 22, 2005
    Another small glimpse into one of the mundane things most of us would take for granted. Well done!

17. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Perfect!

18. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Oh, after the annoying day I've had, this made it all better. I love this. :D Though, I'm really curious if it was just the flu? ;)

19. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    He loved her and with his love, and because she loved him, came a responsibility on her part to keep him from worrying when she could.

I imagine that was very difficult for Mara to get used to. This is a sweet look at her getting acclimated to having someone else in her life. :)

20. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was so beautiful

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

It's nice to see Mara finally admit she loves having that in case of emergency person.

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

21. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    How did I miss this? I'm gonna have to ask you to PM me every time you post a story. [face_laugh]

Not to many people can pull off Mara being mushy. Of course, you would be one who can. =D=

I loved this. [face_love]

22. mara_jade_rox

mara_jade_rox Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2007
    [face_love] AWWWWWWWWWWW!!![face_love] [face_love]

How sweet!!!

You write Luke and Mara beautifully. I love it!!!

MJR

23. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Jade_Pilot Yes, this was inspired by a doctor's appt! :D

Jaina_and_Jag You and me both! ;)

Rivad_Bacar2 It's a weird feeling, isn't it? [face_thinking]

Jedimaster_JainaSolo Thank you! :D

Jade_eyes
    So glad you liked it. [:D]

aurrasingrules101 Yes, it seemed like something Luke would do! :p

Dana-Skywalker I think that's a wish a lot of people on these forums share! ;)

MarasFire I just like the characters, so it feels as if I'm writing about friends. :)

Myriad_Daydreams I hope your day got better! [face_mischief]

madman007 Thank you! That means a lot, because I like to use those little details. :p

Irish_Jedi_Jade It's the little things that bring home the changes!

Jedi_of_Imladris They were both alone for so long, it's nice to think of them having their someone special. :)

dancing_star Thank you! [face_blush]

Golden_Jedi I think there's a line forming to the right! :p

Jedi_Emeritus It's the small things that mean the most sometimes.

karebear214 [:D]

J_M_Bulldog Probably! :p

Gabri_Jade I imagine it would be difficult to make the adjustment at times.

KELIA Thank you! :D

Alexis_Wingstar She's got a mushy heart, you just have to risk getting sliced by her lightsaber to get there! [face_mischief]

mara_jade_rox
    Thank you!

24. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    @};- Lovely story! You caught Mara perfectly and Luke was, well... very Luke! Aww [face_blush] You always catch them so very, very well!!! @};-

25. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    Absolutely beautiful! [face_love]

I just love how well you're able to capture how much marriage changed Mara for the better. She still has her toughness, but she's learning how and when to shed it for the sake of her spouse. The balance you created between her "I'm going to kill him for not calling" and " Awww... he's worried about me!" is absolutely perfect! I've only been married two and a half years myself but, I've definitely had plenty of those moments. I've learned pretty quickly that there truly is a fine line between love and hate!![face_laugh]

Again, just beautiful!

~Celeste

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.