main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT In defense of the prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Carrie Walsh, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Carrie Walsh

Carrie Walsh Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2014
    I keep hearing the same arguments for why the prequels are such horrible movies, and I just find it funny how people overlook the exact same things in the original trilogy. Though I love all six movies, there's no question that the originals make up the better half of the saga. Still, the prequels don't deserve the hate they get. Especially when most of it could just as easily be directed toward the saga as a whole...

Too much CGI - Everyone loves to harp on the fact that Lucas took advantage of the latest technology available to tell the prequel stories. Nothing looked real, and now it seems dated... but you could say the same thing about the original trilogy. The innovative effects that were impressive back in the late 70s and 80s look extremely dated today (if you say the tauntauns and walkers don't look fake, you're kidding yourself). Either way, both trilogies appear synthetic. Why are practical effects so superior? Just as much work and talent goes into creating computer generated effects.

Cheesy dialogue - The prequels are infamous for this. All I hear about is how stiff the lines between Anakin and Padme are or how whiny Anakin comes off as in Attack of the Clones. I'm sorry, but did you actually watch A New Hope? Was Luke ANY less annoying ("It just isn't fair... but I was going to go into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!")? And since when is the screenwriting from the original trilogy any more eloquent or articulate? Harrison Ford even commented that, "You can type this ****, but you can't say it." That's just Star Wars.

Underdeveloped characters - I always see people complaining how Lucas spent too much time designing cool-looking characters, like Darth Maul and General Grievous, instead of actually developing personalities for them. Darth Maul and Grievous were mostly used as plot devices and hardly had any speaking lines, so they were clearly just part of a marketing strategy to sell more toys, right? Are you kidding me? Bobba Fett is one of the most revered characters from the original trilogy, and he literally has about thirty seconds of dialogue altogether. In the 80s, he had no characterization. His entire purpose was to advance the plot and to stand around and look cool. Then Lucas actually comes up with a backstory for him in the prequels, but people complain about it. Pretty much all the villains in Star Wars besides Sidious and Vader are underdeveloped plot devices. Let's not pretend that was exclusively a prequel trilogy flaw.

Sophomoric humor - AKA Jar Jar... Of all the critiques I've heard, I can empathize with this one the most. The "comedic relief" in the prequels was cringe-worthy at best, and Jar Jar Binks is arguably the most annoying character I've ever seen in any movie. But I think what people are failing to recognize is that he was SUPPOSED to be annoying, which actually makes his antics somewhat humorous, and similarly obnoxious characters can be found throughout the entire saga, including the originals. Let's be honest, 90% of the alien creatures are annoying. Maybe not on Jar Jar's level, but childish nonetheless. Salacious crumb? Ewoks? Star Wars humor has always been directed more towards the younger fans.

If certain people would actually stop LOOKING for faults to find in the prequels, I think they would find that they are actually very enjoyable films. Do I think they surpass the original trilogy? Not at all, but then again, I doubt any movie ever will. I do think they are worthy of being part of the Star Wars saga though, and the only reason I can guess at for their bad reputation is the nostalgia factor the original trilogy carries for so many Star Wars fans. I can understand how the prequels being significantly different from the originals might throw some fans off, but, as a fan that saw the prequels before the originals, I've never experienced this problem, and I don't think new fans who become interested in the series will either.

I hope those people will keep an open mind when The Force Awakens hits theaters next year. I'm sure it will mirror the originals in ways the prequels couldn't have by at least containing recurring cast members, but I don't think anyone should expect a carbon copy of A New Hope. It's going to be it's own thing, and that's fine. It's a sequel, not a remake.

2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    You've screwed up your entire "defense" right there.

3. Carrie Walsh

Jan 13, 2014

How? Just because I prefer the originals doesn't make the prequels bad. Everyone has their favorite movie in the series. A lot of fans prefer The Empire Strikes back to A New Hope, but that doesn't make A New Hope any less of an amazing movie. I would be content watching any of the Star Wars movies

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Most of why some don't like elements of the PT or OT is simply down to perception. Not everyone that has issue with the PT tears it apart with a fine tooth comb. I have issue with every SW film yet I like elements of each as well. There is no need for fan wars over different tastes or perceptions.

5. Carrie Walsh

Jan 13, 2014
    I totally agree, but I don't think it's fair the prequels get isolated and have such a bad rep for so many things that are present in all six movies anyway

6. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That's your perception and that's fine.

7. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Because opening statements like that come off like you're framing your opinions as fact and set the films off against one another.

Some fans get tired of hearing "defenses" of the prequels which have an apologetic tone or assert the superiority of the originals like it's an iron-clad fact.

Andy Wylde and Big_Benn_Klingon like this.
  8. Carrie Walsh

Jan 13, 2014
    This entire post was written under the assumption that everyone who reads it will understand that these are nothing more than my opinions. It's not a FACT that the originals are better than the prequels. I would hope that would be obvious. I just wanted to establish common ground with OT purists from the beginning.

As far as me being apologetic about my appreciation of the prequels, that just isn't the case. I've always been very open and blunt here about how much I like them and my negative opinions of those who unnecessarily demean them.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    There are a lot of good concepts throughout the entire PT.
    Good music, good looking aliens, some amazing looking sets, Ian McDiarmid, the different ships, the Battle of Geonosis, the double-sided lightsaber, Hayden in ROTS, the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis, sound effects like the seismic charges, the Pod race!

Andy Wylde and Carrie Walsh like this.
  10. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    It's not about what you think is obvious. It's about what you actually wrote.

Try adding an "in my opinion" or an "in my mind" to statements like "there's no question that the originals make up the better half of the saga" -- in an opening paragraph of what is intended to be a prequel "defense" -- next time.

Better yet, have more confidence in your own ideas, and don't resort to throwing out sops at the very beginning; or at all. You might think you're appeasing some people, but to others it's a turn-off.

Well done, then, for picking the PREQUEL TRILOGY forum.

"Unnecessarily". Sounds like you half-agree with the denigration of them -- personally.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. Carrie Walsh

Jan 13, 2014
    I think you missed the entire point of the post. I'm not trying to praise the prequels in any way here. I'm simply trying to reason with people who single them out from the rest of the series due to faults that can actually be found in the original trilogy as well. If I didn't post this in the PT forum, it would have gotten moved here... because it primarily concerns the prequels.

I'm confused that you're advising me to have confidence in my own ideas, yet you're trying to convince me I shouldn't be able to think the originals are superior and still appreciate the prequels. I shouldn't have to preface every point I make with "in my humble opinion." In a discussion concerning taste in films, that much is a given.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Amen! I've been told that before as well. I don't get it. I thought it was implied it was your opinion.

13. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014
    Some people just won't be happy with anything other than the original theatrical version of the original trilogy. To them, the 1997 Special Edition, the 2004 DVD release of the OT, all of the prequels, the Clone Wars cartoon, Rebels, the Blu-Ray version of the entire saga, as well as Episode 7 being called "The Force Awakening" are a complete disgrace to Star Wars.

As for the prequels, I really liked them. Attack of the Clones is the weakest but I still watch it. One defense I want to add is concerning something that most PT haters jump to at the very beginning - Midichlorians.

Midichlorians are NOT the Force. They simply determine how Force sensitive somebody is. The Force itself is no less mystical than it was in the OT. Without Midichlorians, anybody could use the Force and be a Jedi which clearly, through the lenses of both trilogies, is not the case.

14. Carrie Walsh

Jan 13, 2014
    Good point on the midichlorians. I should have mentioned that somewhere. I hate when people confuse them for taking the place of the Force. That would bother me too, but it's just not the case.

Qui-Gon on midichlorians in TPM: Life forms living together for mutual advantage. Without the midichlorians, life could not exist, and we would have no knowledge of the Force. They continually speak to you, telling you the will of the Force.​

Clearly two separate things.​

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Exactly. You haven't said what's worthy or interesting about them.

So what makes you think you're going to convince anyone of anything?

Given that people who troll prequel fans frequently state their opinions as fact, I think it helps if you try and differentiate yourself in some way -- preferably by making clear, especially when boldly asserting that "there's no question that the originals make up the better half of the saga" in an introduction, that you're giving a personal opinion.

It's my personal feeling that a little dose of nuance here and there tends to help in selling an idea to a larger crowd. You can present your opinions as-is all you like and then act like it's the other person at fault, but I think it's more becoming to always use a qualifier or two, particularly when making staunch remarks that prequel fans have become utterly tired of reading.

Just my take, mind you.

Andy Wylde and Valairy Scot like this.
  16. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    I have love for all of them except Attack of the Clones. I HATE that movie for numerous reasons, however I love the TV show and feel it covered all the good parts of that film and expanded on them as well to a point that blows that film out the water. In short because of the show ep 2 is no longer necessary. Revenge of Sith is just as good as any of the original trilogy films. I love ROTS!

17. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    So much hate for AotC! I won't blame you but perhaps the word hate is a bit much.

I personally enjoyed all of the films, with AotC being my favorite. (Don't hate me! :p)

I should probably explain why I like AotC. Well, I originally said it was my favorite movie when I was 12 years of age. I liked it so much for the fact that it was "a war between two nations" kind of story. Yes, the Clone Wars led into RotS, Battle of Coruscant, Battle of Utapau, Battle of Mygeeto, etc. So I hope my reason is good enough for a 12 year old. :p If I wanted to change my favorite now, it'd be RotS.

Big_Benn_Klingon and FRAGWAGON like this.
  18. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    This trilogy doesn't need to be defended. What it needs is to be treated with the same kind of respect that any standalone movie would receive. It needs to be viewed as a self-contained experience and judged accordingly.
    Yes, it belongs to a series, but it has the power to stand on its own and should be taken seriously in that regard.
    Noone has to like it, but it should be given a fair chance.

IMO.

19. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    People can hate the PT all they want. It doesn't effect the enjoyment they give me at all. It's only when the raped childhood statements come out that I have to say something. That's such an irrational and stupid claim to make.8-}

20. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Nothing wrong with peoples opinions. You can argue a fact, not an opinion.

21. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Well, it's my opinion that claiming a film raped your childhood isn't an opinion. It's an idiotic statement.

22. roguesquadpod

roguesquadpod Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2014
    I always enjoyed the prequel movies. They do have some flaws but all films do. Darth Vader should have killed Jar-Jar in his rage would of made up for all of it. :D

23. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    I get that it's an idiotic statement, but it is hyperbole, akin to saying "I'm dying of thirst" or "I haven't seen you in a thousand years". The frustration of the prequels for some is that the absolute joy and wonder and inspiration that the original films created in our inmost being was significantly diminished. It's hard for others to understand the experience and effect the OT had on the first generations of fans or so that saw it. It was unlike anything that had come before it. They gave us unforgettable cinematic moments that imbed themselves in the psyches of moviegoers, collectively and individually. These films made dreamers out of ordinary people and have inspired countless artists from all types of mediums. Thusly, in light of that, the PT diminished that in us to varying degrees. It was cool to imagine the fall of Anakin in our heads. What would it look like? How did it happen? That was part of the mystique. The story we got, even in a vacuum, was just poor. It tarnished not only Darth Vader, the biggest villain in generations, but watered down the whole franchise. So George didn't rape anything, but he did kill quite a bit inside a lot of people.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    =D= Well said I agree completely except the 'Vader biggest villain in generations' comment.

sonnyleesmith likes this.
  25. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    Who would you say?