In Defense of Things Beautiful

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Pixel Novastar, Dec 6, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pixel Novastar Jedi Knight

star 1
    http://gtv.cyberdream.net/starwars/fod/pixel/defense.jpg

"No!!!" Obi-Wan cried as his Master's body crumpled to the ground. Qui-Gon's attacker withdrew his lightsaber from his victim's body, as blood soaked through the fallen man's tunic.

Through the containment field, Obi-Wan saw the dark, horned creature snarl, growling in triumph. He extinguished his blade, then jumped into the melting pit behind him just as the containment beam deactivated.

Obi-Wan ran to his injured Master. He cradled his head in his arms.

"Master... Master!" he plead desperately.

"Too late..." Qui-Gon struggled to speak. "Obi-Wan... promise... promise me you will train the boy."

"Yes, Master. But, please, we can save you!"

"No, Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon whispered. "Anakin is... Chosen One. He will... bring balance. ... train him..." Qui-Gon raised his hand and gently touched Obi-Wan's face.

"Yes, Master," Obi-Wan choked. "Please... please, Master. Don't leave me..."

Qui-Gon's eyes closed as his body went limp in Obi-Wan's arms. The young Jedi bent his head as tears slipped from his eyes.

-----

Laster, when the young man stood from Qui-Gon's body, he picked up his Master's lightsaber and held it in his hand. He closed his eyes tightly when fresh tears began to threaten.

Obi-Wan removed his lightsaber from his belt, hooking Qui-Gon's on in it's place. His own weapon he slid into his tunic pocket.

Obi-Wan bent, and lifted his Master's lifeless body in his arms. His face hardened with every step he took as he carried Qui-Gon from the generator room.

It was senseless to him. Obi-Wan had remembered the dark man from the first attack on Tatooine. Qui-Gon had been certain the attack was merely a diversion, or someone after the young Queen he was sworn to protect. Regardless, Ob-Wan vowed to exact his revenge for this. The man - the thing - that had killed Qui-Gon; his Master, his teacher, his father and friend... he would pay.

"I will have my revenge," he said coldly as he stepped into the palace courtyard. The young Queen turned her head to the approaching Jedi. Surprise and anguish were etched on her face as she saw the elder man in Obi-Wan's arms.

Obi-Wan's curt nod answered her unspoken question and Amidala closed her eyes. Her handmaidens bowed their heads in grief and Governor Sio Bibble sighed deeply. He crossed over to Obi-Wan and laid a sympathetic hand on his shoulder.

"With your permission, your Highness, he would have wanted to be buried here," Obi-Wan said quietly. "My Master took joy in the beauty of his surroundings. To lay at rest here, I believe, would honour his memory."

Amidala nodded. "I would never deny anyone that right, Obi-Wan. Most certainly not one so brave and loyal as he. Let him keep the defense of all things beautiful, as he did for my people and I." Tears shone in the corners of her eyes as she spoke.

"Thank you, your Highness," he said simply in reply.

Governor Bibble gently turned Obi-Wan. "Let me take you to where we prepare for such things."

Obi-Wan nodded. As the two men walked away, he faintly heard the Queen murmur an instruction to her handmaiden.

"Sabé, when the pilots return to the hangar, send Anakin to my chambers."

-----

Well, I did it. I decided to start a fanfic.

This story is a little idea that popped into my head last night.. I'll write whenever inspired or encouraged.

As you've likely noticed, it picks up just before the end of TPM, but with a bit of a plot change. I hope that you can grow to enjoy reading it as much as I'm going to like writing it.

- pixelbaby.

[This message has been edited by Pixel Novastar (edited 12-08-1999).]
  2. Geoff Morton Jedi Knight

star 2
    Welcome to Fan Fic Pixel Novastar!!

A great start. Keep it up!
  3. digidroid Jedi Padawan

not bad. i'd like to see more.
  4. Cloudreaper Force Ghost

star 2
    Geoff You attempts at presenting an unbiased (and even an attempt at some ignorance perhaps? ) post towards Pix are about as successful as trying to keep the audience from realizing Sidious and Palpatine are one and the same .

Pix: Yes, I freely admit my bias towards you, my 'adopted little sister', but I like this for by changing the story the way you did, you completely took away Kenobi's little humbling experience at the hands of Maul...the same experience that made him realize that attacks out of hatred may not be as effective as a sneak attack brought about by calmness and peace. In effect, you took away the three minutes that can change Kenobi's entire life...quite interesting.

Maybe its just the abundance of dialogue compared to anything else, but the flow seems a bit off to me...I can't rightly explain it any better at the moment...I'll have to consider and edit this opinion. Like I said though, dialogue will do that to you.

Overall, I like the concept immensely, though i'm surprised you were actually willing to kil QGJ.

[This message has been edited by Cloudreaper (edited 12-06-1999).]
  5. Pixel Novastar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thank you... very, very much, for the positive feedback.

[Anakin mode]Compliments are very, very appreciated.[/Anakin mode]

-----

"Padmé?" Anakin asked tentatively, looking around the Queen's antechamber. "Sabé told me you wanted to talk to me."

"Anakin," came a soft voice from behind him. He turned and saw the Queen, clad in a heavy robe of black cloth. She stepped toward him and took his hand in both of hers and turned her gaze to the floor. "I am afraid I've some bad news..."

"It's Master Qui-Gon, isn't it?" the boy asked, trembling as he struggled not to cry. Amidala was surprised at the accuracy of his question, but nodded as tears pricked at her own eyes. "I couldn't feel him anymore..." Anakin began to sob as he lost his composure.

Confused, but heartbroken at the boy's grief, Amidala knelt beside him, wrapping her arms around him. Anakin laid his head on her shoulder as tears coursed down his cheeks.

When the boy could cry no more and had lifted his head from her shoulder, Amidala released him from her embrace. "Anakin," she began gently, taking his hand again. "Anakin, things are going to be very different now."

The boy nodded, drawing himself up to his full, albeit short, height, and making his face a mask of bravery. "I'll be okay. I can handle anything," he said confidently. She smiled at him.

"I believe you can, Anakin. Always know that you have a place here amongst my people and I. No matter what else may happen." Amidala tightened her grip on his hand reassuringly.

"You can cry, too, Padmé. It's okay. You're supposed to cry when you're sad."
  6. Pixel Novastar Jedi Knight

star 1
    "Foolish this idea is!" Yoda snorted, thumping his gimer stick on the floor for emphasis. "A Jedi Knight yet you are not!"

Obi-Wan glared back at the diminuitive Jedi Master. "I am also not a child in the crèche." Yoda sighed.

"I see that Jinn managed to impart his defiance in you," Mace Windu observed drily.

"The creature that murdered my Master was the same one that attacked us on Tatooine," Obi-Wan continued, ignoring Windu's comment.

Master Windu nodded. "At our urging, Captain Panaka and his men examined the melting pit the Sith escaped through. No remains were found in the incinerator, and we believe he escaped through one of the maintenance tunnels in the shaft."

"I must find him, Masters," Obi-Wan insisted.

"Revenge a Jedi seeks not!"

"But justice the Jedi do," Obi-Wan countered.

"This is a discussion to be had in the Council, apprentice," Windu said dismissively. "I suggest you retire after the ceremony. We leave for Coruscant at sunrise."

-----

Obi-Wan felt as though his own soul were laying on the pyre with his beloved Master. He forced himself to watch as the flames engulfed the older man's body, and found that it only strengthened his resolve to avenge his fallen Master's death.

Obi-Wan was lost in his solemn reverié when he felt a tiny hand tugging at his robe. He turned his head to his right, and saw Anakin's tearful face looking up at him.

"What's going to happen to me now?" Anakin asked quietly, clutching Obi-Wan's sleeve.

"The Council has decided you are to be trained. We leave for Coruscant in the morning." Obi-Wan put a hand on the boy's shoulder as he returned his gaze to the pyre.

"Goodbye, Master Qui-Gon, Sir..." Anakin whispered.

7. Geoff Morton Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey there, you soft and cuddly pixelbaby. You're leaving us hanging here. Write more!!!
  8. Son of Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, this is a cool story! I'd like to see more, as well!
  9. Pixel Novastar Jedi Knight

star 1
    "You have completed your task to my satisfaction, my apprentice."

"Thank you, Master," the horned Sith said, giving a slight, respectful bow in the direction of the hologram.

"You are aware of your next objective?" Sidious inquired.

"The boy, my Master," Darth Maul replied. Sidious' hologram gave an affirmative nod of it's head.
    "The Jedi have transported him back to Coruscant. I trust that finding him will not be a problem."

"I shall not fail you, Master."

"See that you don't," Sidious replied.

The hologram faded out as the apprentice gave a wordless bow towards his Master. Darth Maul entered the cockpit of his ship and ignited the engines. Maul prepared his ship for departure, bringing the vessel's various systems and functions back online. The outer hull of the transport glimmered, then faded to transparent as he activated the cloaking device.

The sleek Sith Infiltrator rose from the ground, the trees in the forest bending away as though an invisible force were pushing them to ground. With a flash of red from the ion engines, the ship raced toward the sky, away from the now peaceful city of Theed.
  10. MaraJessie Jedi Knight

star 2
    i think that you're doing a pretty good job. good work.
  11. Pixel Novastar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thank you, Son of Kenobi, MaraJessie, Cloudreaper, and Geoff.

I'd just like to add a little author's note here before I post again...

First, let it be known by all that this is a work of my imagination. I'm borrowing most of TPM to formulate the first part of the story, but, if you've read this far, you know that there was a vital difference in "that final battle" with Darth Maul at the end of the movie.

I didn't have Obi-Wan fight Maul. This is imperative to the story line that I'm creating. As Cloudreaper said In effect, you took away the three minutes that can change Kenobi's entire life...

That was deliberate.

In my last post, I implied that Darth Sidious had sent Maul with the instructions to kill Qui-Gon Jinn, and not force a treaty. Again, this was deliberate.

I can't stress enough that this is a work of my imagination, and I created it out of an idea that just popped into my head one evening.

I just wanted to clarify in case some people were believing I had several misconceptions about TPM and it's plotline. Nothing of the sort.

Thank you, my readers. I appreciate your comments.
  12. Darth Vacuous Jedi Knight

star 1
    This is really, really good. Ergo, top.
  13. Hiroko01 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey Pix! Welcome to the realm of Fic Nerds. Intriguing possibilities in this one, yes.
  14. Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Dang it! I managed to post half of my post and THEN the entire thing! My intended post is the next one...

[This message has been edited by Mara Jade, Emperor's Hand (edited 12-09-1999).]
  15. Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Veeeeery nice work, Pixel Novastar! I guess I've been hooked by yet another fan-fic. Let me assure you, managing to get me hooked on a story ain't an easy feat, so you can be very proud...

Anyway (adapts Sidious/Palpatine tone), I will be watching your fan-fic with extreme interest... (evil laugh)

MTFBWY,
    Mara Jade
  16. Geoff Morton Jedi Knight

star 2
    Post Pixel, and post soon. I grow tired of waiting, so I will tell you one more time... (misquote Tarkin in ANH)

pretty pretty pretty please post!!!
  17. Geoff Morton Jedi Knight

star 2
    Post Pixel, and post soon. I grow tired of waiting, so I will tell you one more time... (misquote Tarkin in ANH)

pretty pretty pretty please post!!!
  18. Pixel Novastar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Obi-Wan stood at the window outside of the Queen's Throne Room. The moon was at it's zenith in the star-filled night sky, and everything below was bathed with a soft glow. Looking off to his right, he could just make out the faint outline of the building the funeral ceremony had been held in. The weary apprentice sighed. He was tired, but it was more a fatigue of the spirit, and not of the physical form.

His Master was gone.

Obi-Wan closed his eyes. Never again would he hear his Master's gentle voice advising him, guiding him, instructing him. Never again would he be able to sense his Master's silent pride in his skills. There would be no more companionable talks, like two friends, equals, instead of Master and padawan.

A tear slid from under Obi-Wan's eyelid and ran down his cheek. He didn't raise his hand to wipe the tear away, and it fell to the collar of his tunic, leaving a single damp spot.

He heard the quiet footsteps behind him before Amidala even spoke.

"Obi-Wan?" she said softly. He didn't move.

A wave of sympathy washed over the young Queen. She crossed the rest of the distance to the grieving Jedi, and laid her hand gently on his left forearm. The young man's skin was cold to her touch. "I am sorry..." she began, but stopped when she couldn't find the words to express her sorrow.

Her hand was warm as it rested on his arm. He turned his head to her and smiled ruefully. "It's difficult to word, isn't it?" he asked. "What do you say? What can you say, really, that can show someone you fully understand their pain? How can you put into words..."

"You can't," Amidala broke in, and embraced the young Jedi.

Surprised, Obi-Wan stood motionless for a moment before awkwardly returning the girl's embrace. When she released him, tears were streaming down her cheeks. She stepped back and looked up at him.

"You can't," she continued, "but you can show someone that you care about them, and you care that they are feeling pain."

Obi-Wan managed a weak nod of acquiescence.

"I want you to know, Obi-Wan, that I do care. Please don't let this make you cold." She quickly squeezed his hand in hers before turning and walking to the end of the hall. At the door, she glanced back at him. "Don't let this make you cold," she repeated, then disappeared through the door.

Obi-Wan stared after the door long after it had closed. Finally, he turned back to his observance of the courtyard. He shook his head. Nothing will be the same, he thought. But I can make up for my mistake. Qui-Gon will be avenged.

"This I will do for you, my Master."
  19. Pixel Novastar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks everyone, for your encouragement! I was beginning to think that this was so horrible no one would give it a read. What a depressing possibility...

Just wanted to let you guys know that I appreciate your compliments and encouraging words very much.

I'm lovin' it!
  20. Cloudreaper Force Ghost

star 2
    Quite interresting Geoff...double posts at the same time, one with Amidala, the other with Sideous...are you suggesting they're one and the same?

Credit given where credit do, Pixelita bonita...'tis a fascinating concept and well done...that's why people applaud it. Keep up the good work.
  21. Son of Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Just bringin' this cool story back up!
  22. Jaro Jedi Knight

star 1
    My sincere apologies for not posting sooner (I could have sworn I did - that's what I get for staying up so late at night).

I'm just dropping in to let you know that your story is very, very good so far! I can't wait to see where you're going with it.
  23. Womprat of Unusual Size Jedi Padawan

Hey! Just boosting this up because I like the concept! A story with Obi-wan dealing with his own potential to fall to the dark side is always a favorite in my book!
  24. Unbidden Evil Jedi Padawan

wHen ArE yOU goiNG to WRitE aGaIN?

i AM aNXiousLY AWaITinG ThE neXT poST!
  25. TheLastApocalypse Jedi Master

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.