In Defense of Things Beautiful

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Pixel Novastar, Dec 6, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Butler Jedi Master

star 4
    (Sorry, but I can't help myself)
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
    No, Pixel Novastar, I wasn't laughing at your story, but at Womprat of Unusual Size's user name. It's hilarious! ("I used to hit womprats on my...")

By the way, nice story.
  2. Darth Vacuous Jedi Knight

star 1
    Womprats of unusual size? I don't think they--
    AAAAGH!
  3. Hiroko01 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Pix? Speaking of defense of things beautiful, dear, you really need to maintain this story.

<That was like a corny pickup line. I apologize. Post? Please?>
  4. Jotun Denal Chosen One

star 6
    That was clever Hiroko01...

Anyway great job Pixel Novastar and cool poster...keep up the good work!
  5. Pixel Novastar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey! Sorry to abandon my "baby" here. I don't just want this to fall by the wayside, and thanks to Darth Vacuous' most generous nomination for "Best Jedi" thread in one of the existing "Fanfic Emmy" threads, I'm going to endeavour to complete this one.

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys (and gals). I shall try to have a post up by the end of this weekend.

Love,
    -pixie.
  6. Son of Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Just bringin' this cool story back to page one!
  7. Pixel Novastar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Shortly before sunrise the next morning, Anakin awoke, rubbing the sleep from his eyes with the back of his hand. He stood, yawned, and re-tied the belt of his small tunic.

He looked around the room that the queen had shown him to the night before. It was large, with a high, vaulted ceiling and tapestries covered three of the walls. Anakin had felt rather small when he'd finally laid down to sleep the previous night, dwarfed by the bed on which he rested.

Last night. The sadness of the last evening washed over the boy, and tears pricked at his eyes. He hadn't known Master Qui-Gon long, but he had been kind to Anakin, and had had much faith in the boy's potential. Anakin had warmed to Qui-Gon immediately, and though they'd had only a brief acquaintance, he felt that the man had sincerely liked and cared for him. Anakin was utterly bewildered because within only a short time, he'd left his homeworld and his mother behind, and lost his friend and teacher. Thinking not only of his own grief, he was worried about Obi-Wan. From what he had seen of their relationship, that which a Master and apprentice share is similar to a parent and a child as much as a mentor and a pupil. He wasn't yet sure of Obi-Wan's feelings about him, because Qui-Gon's older apprentice had seemed to feel more burdened than anything else by his presence. Anakin sensed that Obi-Wan was occupied with more than just the thought of what was going to become of him when they landed back on Coruscant.

Despite his thoughts, Anakin forced himself to focus on the goal that Qui-Gon had been so certain he would achieve. "He told me I would be a Jedi," he said firmly, try to reassure himself. "So I will be a Jedi." This he whispered fiercely, eyes closed, as his fists clenched at his sides.

Opening his eyes, Anakin walked over to the heavy doors at the entrance to the sleeping room. He grasped the handle and pulled the thick panel open, closing the door again as he stepped into the hall. It was completely silent, and the smooth corridor was bathed in a pale, bluish light from Naboo's just-rising sun. Not really knowing where else to go, he started in the direction of the Queen's quarters.

Shyly, uncertain, he knocked on the door softly. The sound of his hand rapping on the wooden panel echoed through the empty hallway. The door swung open, and Sabé stepped out, smiling at him.

"You wish to see Padmé?" she asked in her gentle, quiet voice. Anakin nodded hopefully. She smiled again. "Come," she said as she placed her hand on his shoulder and led him into the antechamber.

"Can you wait here, Anakin?" she asked him once she had closed the door. He nodded again and she stepped quickly behind a curtain. Moments later, the young Queen stepped out around the same curtain, and greeted her young visitor. She wore an austere robe of black, and her hair in only a simple knot at the back. Anakin decided that she, too, would be grieving, since Qui-Gon had met his end at the defense of her people and rule.

"Good morning, Ani," she said gently, crossing over to him and taking his hand. He managed a smile as he looked up at her.

"Mornin', Padmé." She smiled at him and led him to a chair. As he sat, she sat across from him. "Did you sleep well?"

"Fitfully," she replied with a fleeting frown. "How are you? Did you sleep last night?"

"A little," he said in response. "It felt so big and empty, though."

That confused the Queen slightly, but she let it pass. Eirtaé entered silently, placed two glasses of a sweet-smelling juice on a table beside the chairs they sat upon, and then left just as silently.

"I'm leaving for Coruscant this morning," he said suddenly, looking very sad. She took his hand again.

"I thought that you wanted to go Coruscant and train to become a Jedi, Ani." She looked concerned.

"I think I do... I mean, I want to, but I don't know if I want to now." As Amidala looked more confused, Anakin explained further. "Qui-Gon said I could be a Jedi, and Master Yoda and Master Windu said I wasn't going to be trained when I
  8. Jane Jinn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Fascinating!

Excellently written. I see great potential here for a love interest between Obi-Wan and Amidala, also for tension between Obi-Wan and Anakin.

Keep going, I want to find out more!
  9. Geoff Morton Jedi Knight

star 2
    Bravo!!! Welcome back!!!

I really liked your latest post... keep going...
  10. Geoff Morton Jedi Knight

star 2
  11. Darth Vacuous Jedi Knight

star 1
    ...thanks to Darth Vacuous' most generous nomination for "Best Jedi" thread in one of the existing "Fanfic Emmy" threads, I'm going to endeavour to complete this one.

Whooooo!
  12. Pixel Novastar Jedi Knight

star 1

Coruscant -- Jedi Temple

Obi-Wan Kenobi paced restlessly around the chambers that he had shared with his Master. The young man's over-tunic was carelessly flung over the back of a rough-hewn wooden chair at the dining table. Obi-Wan could almost hear Qui-Gon's voice, gently chiding him for his habits. On a small table lay a Corellian board game, half-finished, that Master and apprentice had been indulging in whenever they had a spare hour. There were Qui-Gon?s spice racks lining the walls of their small kitchen, row upon row of small tins holding his treasured leaves and powders. Suddenly, the room was suffocatingly full of memories. Obi-Wan staggered to the door, threw it open, and stumbled into the hallway.

The big hall was nearly empty; most of the younger apprentices were either in training sessions with their Masters or other teachers at this hour. The odd individual could be seen walking along here and there, but it wasn't the normal, busy flow of Jedi and apprentices.

Hands clenched into fists at his sides, Obi-Wan began walking, head lowered slightly. His strides were long as he walked along the large corridor. The few Jedi he passed paid him no heed, thinking only that the young apprentice lacked the courtesy to pay them the obeisance due their rank.

Obi-Wan continued walking until he found himself in one of the Temple's many atria. There were considerably more people in this area than in the hall along the sleeping quarters, and he raised his head to avoid colliding with anyone. He saw the boy, Anakin, sitting on a padded seating platform near a window, gazing out at the busy city. Anakin turned his head and saw Obi-Wan, and at that moment, Obi-Wan felt an abrupt push at his mind.

"He's in my mind!" Obi-Wan realized, becoming angry at this violation, this invasion.

"I miss him, too," Anakin offered, standing, reaching out a hand to Obi-Wan. The boy's face revealed he was near tears.

But in that instant, Obi-Wan saw, instead of a gentle, frightened young boy, a hideous presence, a horrible evil in front of him, and he pushed out with the Force. The young boy's face turned to a mask of shock, and then pain as he fell hard to the ground. Everyone in the atrium turned as the child began crying, gasping with pain. Several people ran to the young boy's side, and gently rolled him onto his back. Obi-Wan stood, staring for a moment at Anakin, at the white jagged bone pressing out through the boy's skin. He felt a strange sensation wash over him briefly before fleeing. "He's only a child," Obi-Wan thought, sickened. Then, disgusted with himself and his actions, he turned and ran back in the direction of his rooms. No one tried to stop him, in fact, the crowd parted to let him through.

---------------------------------

Yoda sighed. Obi-Wan was going to present a problem after all.

"I believe I speak for us all when I say that this goes beyond mere mourning for a Master," Mace Windu said with a heavy sigh. The rest of the Council nodded their assent.

"Banishment?" someone suggested in a worried tone.

Yoda shook his head slowly. "No good for one so powerful in the Force, is that."

"Qui-Gon trained him far too well. He would be a lethal adversary, if he should succumb or be tempted to the Dark Side once banned from here."

"And the boy, the young out-lander?" someone else asked.

Mace Windu replied, "He has a severe fracture to his left arm. The medics were able to set it, and he should heal well, and quickly."

?He will then be trained??

?No,? Master Windu responded, causing a ripple of surprise to run through the gathered members of the Council.

?But it was Qui-Gon?s dying wish, as I understand it.?

?It was Qui-Gon?s request of his apprentice. Young Kenobi is of no mind to take on an apprentice at this time. And we don?t need to be encumbered by him. After this latest disruption in the boy?s life, he is too weak to be trained.?

"Punished Obi-Wan must be," Yoda said decisively, pulling the subject back to its origin. "Guard his room, we shall, until we decide on action.
  13. Jane Jinn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Zikes! This is getting really gripping now! How can we--I mean you--prevent Obi-Wan from going to the dark side? Let him come to his senses soon! I'm looking forward to more.
  14. Geoff Morton Jedi Knight

star 2
    And the plot thickens, and darkens in tone... Bravo!!!
  15. Pixel Novastar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks, everyone, for the praise and support! :)

Onto Page 2!

- pix.

[This message has been edited by Pixel Novastar (edited 02-03-2000).]
  16. Jane Jinn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wow! What's he going to do next?

I can't help wondering if the Council ever thought of the "eye for an eye" principle. (You broke Anakin's arm, now we'll break yours.) Probably not. Just wondering.
  17. Pixel Novastar Jedi Knight

star 1
    In frustration, Obi-Wan pressed the button next to his door again. The light above flashed red. Locked. Obi-Wan kicked the door frame in anger.

He paced around the room like a caged animal, faster and faster. He couldn't control the rage that was building inside of him. Qui-Gon would be disappointed in him, Obi-Wan thought, but he really couldn't help it. He stopped pacing and gripped the edge of the dining table. He felt strangely ferocious, savage. It took every vestige of his self-control to prevent himself from throwing the table across the room. He pushed himself away from it, and felt something collide gently with his left side.

They hadn't taken the lightsabre away when the guards had locked him in his room, he recalled. He ran to the window on the opposite wall of his quarters and rapped his hand against it lightly. It responded with a dully echoing thud. A feral smile turned up the corners of the young Jedi's mouth. He stepped back, unhooked his dead Master's lightsabre from his belt, and ignited it.

Slowly, he brought the humming light sword close to the window. He felt the resistance of the thick glass as the shimmering green blade began to penetrate it. Obi-Wan pulled the sword away, and stepped back.

The glass didn't immediately cool, and it glowed a light red along the small hole that Obi-Wan had punctured through it. The young Jedi's smile widened.

Glancing away from the damage he'd caused to the window, Obi-Wan looked out at the menagerie of vehicles travelling past his window. Looking down below the elevation of his window, he saw a lengthy caravan of large barges creeping along.

Obi-Wan grabbed his Master's small toolkit from one of the shelves and ran back to the door. Frowning in concentration, he took the smallest of the tightening blades from the toolkit and quickly proceeded to unscrew the metal panel surrounding the door's button. Obi-Wan pulled the piece away from the doorframe, and looked intently at the jumble of wires behind the panel. He found the wires that trailed away from the light above the button. Isolating the two wires leading to the power supply, he ripped them away from the small red bulb. Using a sharp blade, he pared the casing away from the wires, exposing a short length of reddish metal. He dropped the tools back into the small box, and took a wire in each hand. Steeling himself and hoping that his actions had the desired effect, Obi-Wan brought the wires into contact. Sparks danced away from the metal strands, and the faintest smell of smoke filled the room. Obi-Wan pulled them away from each other, quickly re-wired the panel back to it's normal state, and stepped back. He hurriedly re-fastened the metal plate to the wall, and pushed the button again. The light stayed dead.

"With any luck, they won't notice anytime soon," he said to himself, putting the tools back into the box. He started to walk back to the window, but reached down first and tucked the toolkit into a journey bag that hung by the now-broken door. He reached into a box on his shelf and pulled out a handful of credit sticks. He thrust those into a pouch under his belt, and ran over to the window.

"I've bought myself a few minutes, at the most," Obi-Wan muttered, drawing the lightsabre again. Igniting it, he roughly cut a large hole in the glass, melting it away entirely from the top frame of the window. He half-closed his eyes as wind whipped into the small room. The difference in air pressure made it difficult to stand still. Finally, he withdrew the lightsabre, and extinguished it.

Obi-Wan waited impatiently for the glass to cool enough for him to touch it. Then, he secured the pack to his back and shoulders, drew his robes tightly around him, and hooked the lightsabre back on his belt. There was a barge directly below him, and he could make the jump easily, using the Force to cushion his fall. He turned, took a look behind him and around the room. A sudden sadness tugged at his heart, but Obi-Wan forced himself to turn. Inhaling deeply, the young
  18. Jane Jinn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey, that's not fair! Here I think I'm getting a new post, and you've just moved the old one around so that now my comment is completely out of place! I was so excited to read the next installment, and now I'm really disappointed.
  19. Pixel Novastar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Jane: I moved the post in order to make sure that it gets read. It seems to be a cardinal rule of fanfic to ignore the last post(s) of a previous page if there's a new page started.

Sorry to disappoint.

- pix.
  20. Jane Jinn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Really? You'd think people would discover they missed something and go back and read it, wouldn't you?

Oh, well, I suppose I'll live. By the way, I really like this Obi-Wan, struggling with these darkner emotions. I'm only so disappointed because I want more!
  21. Cloudreaper Force Ghost

star 2
    JJ: Actually, you'd be amazed at how quickly people will just jump to a new page and continue to read, ignoring sometimes even more than one post. Some even just figure the lack of exact continuity being a lack of author skill.

Part of our problems with threads I've participated in were due to such skipping ahead and ignoring important story posts.

This story continues to be a wonderfully creative tale, btw. It's one of the few reasons I come back here these days.
  22. Pixel Novastar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yoda paced the floor of the Council Chamber, the clattering of his gimer stick against the tiles the only sound. He stopped, turned to Mace Windu, and said, "Correct, was I. Sufficient, confinement was not."

"He has gone, then?" Adi Gallia queried. "He is not hiding in the Temple?"

It was a foolish question, for they all knew that the young Jedi had likely stowed away on a flight leaving Coruscant.

"His intentions are not known," Ki-Adi-Mundi said gravely, shaking his head.

"Wrong is that assumption. Know well, do we, what his intentions are," Yoda countered. "To kill the Sith, he seeks."

"The one that murdered Qui-Gon Ginn?" Adi Gallia asked, her eyes widening. "He shall surely succumb to the Dark Side in his quest!" she said loudly.

The rest of the Council nodded their agreement.

"Perhaps," replied Master Windu. "But we should take great pains to find Obi-Wan Kenobi before he finds the Sith lord. We do not want to face him as an adversary. He was trained very well in the ways of the Force."

"Too well," Yoda retorted with a thump of his gimer stick. "Defiance, Qui-Gon trained him in also." Yoda shook his head slowly in admiring disgust.

"Summon the boy," Mace Windu said to a serving girl in the room. She bowed quickly and hurried from the room.

The Council continued discussing the potential danger that Obi-Wan could pose, should he return after siding with the dark side of the Force. Adi Gallia and Mace Windu emphatically defended the position that spies should immediately be sent to find the boy. Yoda remained silent, only expressing his disagreement by shaking his head occasionally.

A few moments later, the door opened slowly, and Anakin tentatively walked into the Chamber, his right arm in a cloth sling that rested around his neck. His footsteps were light, and he made no noise, but the Council was instantly aware of his presence. They turned to look at him, and the boy grew shy, looking down at his feet.

"How feel you?" Yoda asked the boy in as gentle a tone as he could muster. Anakin looked back up.

"Better, sir," he replied truthfully.

"Obi-Wan has gone," Mace Windu said.

Anakin nodded. "I thought he had left, sir. I couldn't feel him anymore, like I couldn't feel Qui-Gon when he died," he said plainly. There was only a little sadness colouring his words, but his voice didn't waver.

Some of the Council members raised their eyebrows at this, and began to whisper quietly. Yoda ignored them, and kept talking to the boy.

"Return to your mother, you shall," he said, not unkindly. As this registered, Anakin's face fell. Yoda continued, "Train you, we cannot, with your arm as it is. Nor with young Kenobi gone. Too old, are you. Leave tomorrow, you may."

"I don't want to go back to Tatooine," Anakin stated defiantly.

The members of the Council stared at the boy. "Stay here, you cannot," Yoda replied simply.

Anakin's face turned to a mask of fierce determination. "Master Yoda, if I can't be trained now, please let me return to Naboo."

The boy's request surprised the other Council members, who began quiet, fervent discussions amongst themselves. Yoda thumped his gimer stick impatiently, and their whispering ceased. "Naboo? For you, what is there?" he asked Anakin.

"Pad... Queen Amidala told me that I could be trained as a mechanic, and a pilot, if I was ever sent away from here." Anakin decided against mentioning his vow to help his mother and her people. He wasn't sure if such ambitions would be respected or decried.

"Go to Naboo, you shall then," Yoda decided, despite the murmurings of the other Council members. "Leave tomorrow, you will."

Anakin felt dismissed, and bowed quickly and turned to leave the room. "May the Force be with you," Yoda thought as the boy left the room, extending that farewell to the fallen Obi-Wan Kenobi.
  23. Jane Jinn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Now the hunter becomes the hunted! I like this. I like it a lot. Good plot twist, to send Anakin away to Naboo. I wonder if Obi-Wan will run into him there. I've just read the last post, and I'm already looking forward to more.
  24. Son of Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Well done! And ... back to the top with this really cool story. It's very intriguing to see the darker side of Obi-Wan, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

[This message has been edited by Son of Kenobi (edited 02-05-2000).]
  25. The Butler Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with the other comments that have been posted here. This is a very good story, exploring a direction which hasn't been taken before. Wow.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.