"In God We Trust" Should it be removed from money?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by QuanarReg, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuanarReg Jedi Knight

star 3
    What about the biggest one, Abortion, or what about Cloning, or Euthanasia? All of these most people take stands on because of Religion.

And I'm pretty sure E Plubis Unum means "Out of many, one."
  2. womberty Jedi Master

star 4
    What about the biggest one, Abortion, or what about Cloning, or Euthanasia? All of these most people take stands on because of Religion.

It doesn't matter how an individual arrives at their stance on a particular issue. What matters is its basis for law. The issues you mentioned can be decided without the need for religious opposition. For example, one can oppose abortion because it ends a life without needing a religion to back it up. One can oppose euthanasia as an exploitation of the old and mentally unstable without needing to preface that with some belief in God.

Our laws are already designed to uphold the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. We don't need religion to reinforce the sanctity of life because the right to life is already a principle embodied by our laws.
  3. QuanarReg Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well don't get me wrong, I'd like if religion and politics were never mixed, but I don't know how that can ever happen.
  4. Cheveyo Force Ghost

star 5

You really think so? I think Religoin has forced itself into these issues, buit I don't think we have these issues because of religion.

Abortion is the debate over whether or not killing a fetus is murder.
    Cloning has a whole sleu of issues, many of which (i will concede) are religious--do clones have a soul, etc.
    Euthenasia is like abortion, it's about what to consider murder. Religion comes in after the fact.

5. kasiel Jedi Knight

I always thought that ws a testament to american financial thinking...

you know..

" (only) In GOD we **trust**.... anybody else, secure collateral"
  6. womberty Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought the translation was:

"In God We Trust. All others pay cash."

:p
  7. Darth Dane Jedi Master

star 4

[face_laugh]^^

Good one :p

DD - Love Spliff

8. bobilll Jedi Master

star 4
    Religion IS mixed with politics. And though I don't care what money looks like as long as I can spend it, it obviously rubs off on others.

For example, Bush uses God as an excuse to fight Iraq. Not that many people go against that.

what if Bush was Jewish? Or Buddist? Or Wicca? Would people still let him use religion as a way to attack? I bet you people would be swarming if the dollar bill said, In Buddha we trust.

So is it the government or the people?

However, I don't think religion should be completly ripped apart from politics, even if the US is supposed to be religiously tolerant. Religion is the most effective way of presenting morals, and to rip that away from politics, you'll get corruption in a week.

Maybe the reason people don't care about the slogan is that Christianity usually is enforcing people to be good people.

and redxavier, I got your joke! I thought the same thing when I saw this post!
  9. Jedi-Monkey Jedi Master

star 4
    I had always assumed they simply forgot the letter "L" in "IN GOLD WE TRUST", and no one had noticed it yet.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.