main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends In His Master's Wake - winner of the PT Rewrite Challenge #9

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by UnderCoverJedi, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnderCoverJedi

UnderCoverJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 19, 2006
    Title: In His Master?s Wake
    Author: UnderCoverJedi
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon
    Notes: Written for the PT Missing Scene Challenge #9. This challenge: Qui-Gon the rebel.

In TPM, Obi-Wan implores Qui-Gon not to defy the council: "Don't defy the Council, Master, not again." Your challenge this time: write a scene where Qui-Gon defies the council. It can be a humorous or serious piece, taking place at anytime.

A/N: This may not be exactly what was intended with the challenge, but I had to write it.

In His Master?s Wake

Obi-Wan sighed deeply as he followed behind his Master?s rather long strides. The ring of boot heels on the polished floor of the corridor seemed overly loud to Obi-Wan, but he had the feeling that his Master would not appreciate any remarks on the inappropriateness of the noise.

Hunched inside the hood of his cloak, Obi-Wan hoped that no one would be able to identify him. Though the odds of it being anyone else following along in Qui-Gon Jinn?s wake were rather small, he admitted. Still, he could hope.

The thought of any of his friends seeing his Master in such an obviously angry mood, and knowing that their latest trip to the Council was common knowledge, made Obi-Wan grimace from within the safety of his cloak. Yet again, Qui-Gon had lived up to his reputation as a rebel. Being the Padawan of such a Master was both a trial and a deep source of pride. For the moment, however, his pride was overshadowed by fear for his Master.

The Council had been most impatient with Qui-Gon?s latest outburst and Master Windu especially had not been reticent about expressing that opinion.

Quietly and unobtrusively as possible, Obi-Wan trailed behind his Master. Even though Qui-Gon had slammed up his shields, Obi-Wan was more than aware of the irritation radiating off his Master as he stalked through the Temple. Perhaps the other Jedi sensed it as well, because more than one of them scrambled out of his way with a startled look.

Qui-Gon only slowed his tortuous pace when they reached their quarters. His Master punched in their security code with vehemence and Obi-Wan winced at the sharp, tapping sound of irritated fingers.

Oh yes, Master Jinn had worked himself into a fine state of agitation.

While Qui-Gon shrugged off his cloak and tossed it onto the couch in an unusual show of exasperation, Obi-Wan carefully placed his own cloak on a hook and then picked up his Master?s and did the same. Qui-Gon did not seem to notice.

Then Qui-Gon plopped down on the couch and stared morosely into the empty fireplace. Without a word, Obi-Wan deftly started a fire. Qui-Gon said nothing as the flames leapt up to bathe the dim room in a cheerful, golden glow. Obi-Wan went into the kitchen to start a pot of tea brewing and to give his Master some privacy.

From the couch, Obi-Wan heard a deep sigh. Shaking his head, Obi-Wan poured two cups of tea and put them on a tray, which he carried into the living area. Silently, he placed the tray on the small table in front of his Master and took his own cup to a chair in the corner.

A brooding Qui-Gon was no fit companion for a pleasant evening, so Obi-Wan resigned himself to an evening of uneasy silence.

It would not be the first.

Qui-Gon leaned forward and took the cup of tea, cradling in it in large hands as if letting its warmth seep into him. He took a sip, his eyes never leaving the fire. After a few moments, he sighed again, but this time it was softer, less exasperated and more exhausted.

At last, Qui-Gon turned and smiled briefly at Obi-Wan. ?I?m sorry, Padawan,? he said. ?I know how such scenes distress you.?

Obi-Wan took a sip from his own cup to gain time to gather his thoughts. ?No apologies necessary, Master,? he said finally. ?It?s not my place to judge.?

Qui-Gon?s smile became a grin and he shook his head. ?You?re a terrible liar, Padawan.?

?I?m not lying,? Obi-Wan insisted quietly. ?It?s not my place.?

?You?re my Padawan,? Qui-Gon murmured. ?My actions have a direct impact on you.?

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    A great entry to the challenge and congrats for winning=D==D=

3. slow_dawn

slow_dawn Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2006
    I really enjoyed you're portrayal of the interaction between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. I also thought that Qui-Gon's prophetic ending was a nice touch.

4. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    Very nice. This was great -

Hunched inside the hood of his cloak, Obi-Wan hoped that no one would be able to identify him. Though the odds of it being anyone else following along in Qui-Gon Jinn?s wake were rather small, he admitted. Still, he could hope.

Great job and congratulations. =D=

5. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    ?I doubt there?s been such a scene in the chambers that has not involved you.?

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Yes, that describes Qui-Gon quite well.

I would have loved to have seen Windu's face when Qui told him to bend over and...

Great response to the challenge and congrats on the win

=D= =D= =D= =D=

6. UnderCoverJedi

UnderCoverJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 19, 2006
    earlybird-obi-wan Thanks so much.

slow_dawn I appreciate you reading this little bit of nonsense. :p

azizah Poor Obi-Wan, always plagued by less than discreet masters and padawans.

KELIA I would have paid good money... [face_whistling]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.