main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL In honor to the victims of 9/11

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Rex_Karrde, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rex_Karrde

Rex_Karrde Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    I want to open this thread in honor to the Heroes, Victims & families of the tragedy on 9/11.

2. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Prayers and rememberance.....

3. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I'd like to alert people to WTC Uncut, playing on Wednesday, September 11, at the Gene Siskel Film Center, 164 N. State St., at 8:15 P.M. Admission is free, and will be followed by a discussion with the filmmaker.

Here's the description from the Chicago Reader:

Seeing the twin towers burning from the office of his video company, Steven Mudrick set up a camera and kept it running until after the buildings collapsed, and in the days that followed he and Bryan Kortis roamed New York, taping interviews with survivors and sounds of the city. The sound track of this 76-minute video is a collage from those sessions heard over a nearly continuous view of the disaster, resulting in an intelligent and expansive treatment of that now-iconic imagery. The reactions range from jingoism (our flag is the "most beautiful in the world") to an accusation that the U.S. is responsible for mass killings in the Middle East. But the billowing smoke--hypnotic, terrifying, yet beautiful--dominates the voices, defeating attempts to think about the disaster, and though Mudrick breaks its spell with jerky zooms and camera movements, the event seems to remain beyond comprehension. Mudrick will attend the screening, introduced by writer, filmmaker, and Reader contributor Bill Stamets. Admission is free.--Fred Camper

Here's the description from the Gene Siskel Film Center website:

As artists and filmmakers begin to respond in varying ways to the September 11, 2001, World Trade Center tragedy, WTC UNCUT already stands out as both a document and an ephemeral media monument in its own right. The film consists of a fixedly intense camera gaze at the towers that begins moments after the second strike and ends shortly after the collapse of the second building. The contemplative aspect of the image is enhanced by a collage of sound that ranges from emotional you-are-there reactions to the voices of New Yorkers experiencing and coping with the aftermath. WTC UNCUT is screened free of charge through the courtesy of filmmakers Bryan Kortis and Steven Mudrick, who ask that audience members consider making donations to Here Is New York (116 Prince St., New York, NY 10013; www.hereisnewyork.org), a photographic exhibition that supports the Children's Aid Society WTC Relief Fund. Copies of the film will be available for purchase in DVD or VHS at the screening. Co-director Steven Mudrick will be present for audience discussion; freelance film critic and Super-8 filmmaker Bill Stamets will introduce Mr. Mudrick. DVD video. (BS)

Phil

4. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Seeing the newspapers and commercials for all the televised events starting tomorrow, I actually started to cry. Some of you know me as a big, fun-loving guy but a year ago tomorrow, I never knew so many emotions can hit a person at once. The first reaction was skeptism, when I first heard a plane hit the towers. I first thought it was just a small pivate plane because they fly low and perhaps the pilot got lost or something, and harmlessly hit the side of the building. When I actually got to a TV a few minutes later, it was shock that hit me. The smoke and fires bellowing out of the tower just put me in a state of disbelief. I turned to talk to a friend of mine when everyone started screaming. I turned back and saw the second crash. When it was shown that they were passenger jets, I knew it had to be an attack.
    I finished my route after that, listening to the reports, the attack on the Pentagon, then of the uncomfirmed one that Camp David was attacked but later was shown that it was the brave heroes of Flight 93 that brought down their plane to save countless others. I got home and was overwhelmed by the video of the Trade Center towers falling and people running for their lives. Except for the passing of a loved one, I have never cried so much in my life. The first thing I did when I came home was to call my wife but she had already left work when her boss had everyone go home early. Then I called my sister in California, waking her up. Like me, she didn't believe what I was telling her till she turned on a TV and saw the terror. We called my mom on 3-way to just console each other and know that we were all right. When my wife came home that day, I don't think I have ever hugged so tightly before.

To those innocent people murdered for no other reason than being Americans, to those firefighters, police, and medical personnel who sacrificed there lives to save others and to the heroes on Flight 93 who found the courage and fought back, I will always remember you and this "day of infamy" and make try to make sure that future generations will not forget September 11,2001.

God Bless America!!!!

5. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    [image=http://www.accesstechnologyinstitute.com/images/candle.gif]

6. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    [image=http://www.sportg.com/ny.jpg]

7. Rex_Karrde

Rex_Karrde Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Here is a great site with Poems, Pictures, Presentations in memory of those who died September 11, 2001

We Will Stay Vigilant Remembering How We Loved You And Still Love You - Click Here

This one will take a little longer to load (is 7 Mpgs) but is worht the waiting.Click Here

I also wanted to add that I met Todd Beamer's (Let's Roll) Father. David (Todd's father) was in the bar Tuesday night with his familly, and was sorprised to see a tribute dedicated to Todd by the front door; which Todd's father singed and the family took pictures. It was very touching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.