main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends In Its Place (Dark NJO AU)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lonewolf89, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Author: Lonewolf89
    Title: In It's Place
    Timeframe: NJO AU
    Keywords: Anakin Solo, Jacen Solo, Dark-fic
    Genre: Angst, Thriller
    Summary: Everything has it's place.
    Notes: Wow, it's been awhile since I've been over here! I'm still swamped with RL, I'm afraid, but this is one of those plot bunnies that just demanded to be written. I sat down to work on an essay, and the next thing I know, I have a Dark Anakin floating around in my head whispering dialogue that somehow found it's way onto my word processor. ;p

Anyway, this fic is a bit of a separation from my usual work. It's something of a dark NJO AU, and while it's tempting to try to stretch it into a full length fic, I don't have the time to work with it now. But, I hope you enjoy it, even in if it is an unbetaed, one-poster.

And, P.S. to all my friends and fellow writers, I do hope to pop over here more often and get caught up on all these great fics that have cropped up recently. :)

It's Place:

Anakin Solo leaned his chair back to rest on two hind legs, his fingers locked behind his head. The figure across from him squirmed uncomfortably under his measuring azure gaze, fixing brown eyes on the game board between them.

"You're getting too cocky for your own good, little brother."

Anakin's eyes narrowed imperceptibly at the slight. His temper spiked underneath his cool expression, but he reigned it in. After all, if his opponent was resorting to childish goading, he probably had reason to be cocky.

"You're move," he replied, shifting his weight. The chair fell back onto all fours with a loud thud, and he could have almost sworn he saw Jacen jump.

"I'm thinking," came the impatient reply as the older Solo sibling bit unconsciously on the pad of his thumb. Anakin hid a smile at the action. He could read his brother like a book.

The game was already over. All that was left was to finish what was already in motion.

Jacen reached across the board, his hand hovering over a game piece. Slyly, he thought, his gaze shifted upward to judge his brother's reaction. Anakin lifted an eyebrow, his expression one of quiet amusement. Heaving a sigh, Jacen fell back in his chair. "I give up," he said in a tone of defeat. "Three to zip. Are you sure you haven't been cheating?"

Anakin pushed himself away from the board, his body falling back into the dim light of the cabin. Jacen saw his brother's shoulders shrug in the shadows. The gesture tugged at a sense of familiarity in his mind, but he couldn't place it. His forehead wrinkled in concentration as his thoughts jumbled.

Anakin noted his sibling's expression and could feel the confusion surrounding him. A smile quirked at the corners of his lips. He would enjoy this.

"Perhaps this just isn't you're game," he stated blandly. Deciding to play this scene out to it's fullest potential, he leaned back into the light, his hand reaching out for one of the white playing pieces. His rolled it between his fingers, studying it with the utmost curiosity. He felt his brother's mind shifting from it's inner focus, back into the moment. He sensed the crimson stain of embarrassment leaking into his thoughts.

"Or, it could be that you've just gotten better," Jacen replied, trying to play the good sport, even though his expression fought a loosing battle to hide it's jealousy.

The smile spread wider across Anakin's face. Yes, he was enjoying this. Almost too much... almost.

"This game is fascinating, don't you think?" He brought the piece closer to him, squinting at it as if breaking it down to it's basic parts, molecules, atoms, raw energy. He could sense that this change in topics had thrown his brother off. This was going to be easier than he though.

"Yes. I enjoy it," came a terse reply. Hard restraint could be heard edging into Jacen's voice. Anakin heard the seething anger buried in the words as if his brother had screamed obscenities. Read like a book.

Pulling his focus away from the smooth, ivory colored marble, Anakin placed it back in its

2. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    wOOt!!! 1st reply! I like it! More soon please!

3. _Jedi_of_Destiny_

_Jedi_of_Destiny_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2003
    A hiss of energy, purple light, blinding movement at Force enhanced speed, and the splattering of crimson drops. These were the final plays.

Crimson on ivory.

I really liked this line. I could really see it in my mind.

Ooh. Chilling. I definitly like this and will keep an eye on it. Nice start. :)

4. EnsignThursday

EnsignThursday Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2005
    You could never really see how things were going to end. That's what you have to do when you play, see the end before you even being."

Being should be ?begin,? I believe.

Crimson on ivory.

Excellent image.

If you ever turn this into a multi-post story, I will definitely read it.

5. DCWiz00

DCWiz00 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2004
    Hey there Lonewolf, great work. You definately have a way with words. =D= Anakin gave me the creeps before I got to the end, just the way you wrote him made me feel the evil in his gaze. And coming from an avid Chess player (yes that makes me sound more like a nerd than I already am :-B :p ), you did a wonderful job with their interaction with each other. Reminded me of a few games I've had with my brother-in-law. I also liked the Crimson on ivory part. It really added to an already dramatic end. :cool:

6. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Lonewolf: :eek: :D

Great imagery, and a superb sense of mystery and ambiguity... all of which leads to superbly clear characterization.

Dark Anakin - I assume he's been raised dark - is a fascinating character-study... you've given free rein to his self-confidence, making him cruel, controlled, and willful, like a teenage Palpatine. At once utterly unfamiliar and plausibly the same person, totally transformed by a different point of view, a different context...

Dark Jacen, on the other hand, is just... Jacen. I'm trying to put my finger on exactly why he's less effective, less dangerous - perhaps, oddly, the very obviousl lack of Jaina. But I bet he tortures little animals... :p

The fascinating thing is how the different context turns their relationship on its side...

Great stuff!

- The Imperial Ewok

7. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Good to see you again, Lonewolf :)

Seems like forever since I've read a new Anakin Solo story.

"Some Jedi were even turned out of the ancient Temple if they lacked an understand of the game." Casually the words were spoken. Anakin was careful with his tone, molding it and fitting it for his purposes.

He is playing another game here [face_mischief]

A hiss of energy, purple light, blinding movement at Force enhanced speed, and the splattering of crimson drops. These were the final plays.
    Crimson on ivory.
    Everything has its place.

Wow, definitely not what I was expecting. But I suppose that was the point :p

Loved it though ;) Cryptic and dark. The way Anakin patronized him throughout, laying out what was going to happen, or what had already been decided, all the while Jacen was almost completely oblivious, but aware enough to know he should be nervous.

I also really like how much is unsaid in this. Obviously Anakin is cruel, probably evil in this, but we get the feeling that Jacen isn't totally innocent, that we may be seeing a Dark Side Jacen if not at least one that has done some terrible things.

And what game were they playing incidently? I assumed it was supposed to be like Chess [face_thinking]

Anyway, terrific post. It's a shame it won't be a full fic, but I'll take it ;) I always love it when someone writes a nice dark viggie instead of the more popular "mush" :D

8. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Ooh! I like it, Lonewolf. Anakin is so evil - playing with his brother like a hunter with its prey. Even Dark, he's tantalising though. LOL

Great dialogue and chilling images. Good work. So glad you escaped DRL for a few minutes to post it. :)

9. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Thank you for the great feedback, everyone! Once I get a chance, I hope to come be back to reply properly.

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Ack! I thought I left feedback for this! Bad Vadey, bad Vadey!

I found this chilling and disturbing, which is something I really like! :D Bravo! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.