main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

in jedi obi wan tells luke

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by battlewars, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    that the emperor was worried if anakin had any offspring they would be a threat to him, is he talking about himself or vader? and if hes talking about vader why does he send him to find luke?

2. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    That they would be a threat to the Emperor was always my interpritation.

3. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    "The Emperor knew, as I did, that if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him."

Him = Emperor Palpatine

He knew that if there was an Offspring of Anakin Skywalker, it could spell the end for the Galactic Empire as well as the Sith Order.

4. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    I covered this type of thing in English Class.

"The Emperor knew, as I did, that if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him."

Anakin is the last Proper noun so him=Anakin. ;)

I always thought of it as a threat to Vader, by turning him back to the lightside, which is what happened

5. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    "For the clones to discover the recalibration, a long time it will take"

We all know that English doesn't apply in the GFFA. He was referring to the Emperor.

But, two can play at that game.

Take out "If Anakin were to have any offspring" and it becomes "The Emperor knew, as I did, that they would be a threat to him."

:p

6. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    That's right. Part of the function of dual commas is that you can take out that more descriptive part of the sentance and it will still make sense, in the appropriate context.

Him = Emperor

7. Sithlord_kev

Sithlord_kev Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2005
    There's a deleted scene call Luke and Ben Extended in ROTJ, does anyone what dialogue the scene contains???

8. battlewars

Mar 5, 2005
    thats what i always got in that scene

9. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    "There's a deleted scene call Luke and Ben Extended in ROTJ, does anyone what dialogue the scene contains???"

Yeah I want to know this too. But I feel like if I make a thread - it might get locked and we'll just get linked to ask it in the DVD changes thread.

10. battlewars

Mar 5, 2005
    i really believe the emperor thinks the twins would be a threat to vader, so why does the emperor have vader go after luke?

11. poof-the-magic-jedi

poof-the-magic-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2005
    Deleted Luke/Obi-Wan scene

I've always assumed it was the Emperor that Obi-Wan was referring to, it seems to make more sense -- to me anyway.

12. acmilanboy

acmilanboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2005
    Grammar rules aside, I think whether it refers to Anakin or Palps really doesn't make a difference--six of one, half dozen of another. The implication that the most powerful man in the galaxy (IMO, Vader) could have children would pose a threat to both Darth and the Emperor.

With heirs to his position, Vader's situation would have definitely been complicated...a power struggle/acting like a father figure would most likely change his aura and outlook on life. In that way, children would be a threat to Vader.

Conversely, Palps was able to rein in the power of Anakin/Vader at an early age (from what we see in the PT), serving as the father figure/mentor/etc. Therefore, although Vader was doubtlessly powerful, the Emperor always remained over him. However, if Vader were to have children--who could very likely have the same powers as he does--Palps did not have an established relationship through which he could manipulate that power. As a result, children would be a threat to Palpatine.

13. canes81

canes81 Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2005
    When your father left, he didn't know
    your mother was pregnant. Your mother
    and I knew he would find out eventually,
    but we wanted to keep you both as safe
    as possible, for as long as possible.
    So I took you to live with my brother
    Owen on Tatooine... and your mother took
    Leia to live as the daughter of
    Senator Organa, on Alderaan.

Got the quote from the link above.

I thought Anakin knew she was pregnant? Is that an error?

14. Old_Republic

Old_Republic Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    He did know. The problem is that the dialogue in question was written over 20 years ago and never made it into the film. Because it didn't become canon then GL was free to tell the prequels in a different manner. IIRC, this speech did make it into the RotJ novel though, so some of us had this info to poison us against the prequels. It's really too bad that Anakin did know Padme was pregnant, it would have made Vader's and Palpatine's surprise all that much more dramatic in the OT. Also, this alternate history between Obi-wan and Padme might have been quite interesting to see. IMHO.

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The question is, left what? When he left Coruscant to go fight in the Outer Rim sieges, he didn't know she was pregnant. He only found out after he got back. So the passage is still correct.

16. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    I think "when your father left" means "when your father left us" as in "when your father turned to the dark side"

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    But as long as the phrase is ambiguous (which it is), it can fit into continuity.

18. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Right, it's all about "certain point of view".

19. Old_Republic

Old_Republic Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    I would assume that Obi-wan means when Anakin left the Jedi? Or possibly it was originally intended that Anakin, Obi-wan and Anakin's wife (whom we now know as Padme) used to travel around in a group ala Luke, Leia and Han. This is what I'd expected to see when I first learned about the prequels being made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.