main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

In-jokes, homages and subtle references in the EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    They're there, and you know it. The little jokes, the references to other books, whatever. There used to be a great thread on these things, but I can't find it, so I'd thought I'd just start the list:

-- The exchange in Isard's Revenge: "I thought you were taller" "I thought you were dead." Classic, straight out of the escape from new york movies.

-- The reference to "kubaz zirkonia" or something.

-- The way Mara Jade steals the names of people she knows by switching the first letter of each name, for example Celina Marniss and Melina Carniss.

-- The way Karrde names all his ships as a double entendre.

-- The running Ewok gags through most of the X-wing series.

-- I seem to remember a great joke in Crispin's books, but I forget it. Something to do with the acknowledgement section ro something.

-- Little stuff like The History of Corvis Minor coming up again and again.

2. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    In AC Crispin's book, there's a subtle reference to WEG writer Pablo Hidalgo, by naming a character after him...

in Galaxy of Fear # 7, there's a character named after Literature Comependium guy Mike Beidler...and in Vader's Quest # 1, a character is named after good webguy and writer Rich Handley...good fun.

3. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    I'd forgotten about half of those...
    -Jenos Idanian, the alias used by Han in Crispin's trilogy. It's an anagram for Indiana Jones. Corran also used it in I, Jedi.

4. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Rip Calkin is an anagram for Cal Ripkin...but I don't know what it's from, I just remember seeing it somewhere.

5. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Planet of Twilight

6. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    In Children of the Jedi, Leia talks about her aunts. One of her aunts is named Aunt Tia; Tia is spanish for aunt.

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I recall a town called 'new Hope' in ToTNR..

8. green_chikita

green_chikita Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2001
    I'm sorry, most of the abrreviations I can get sooner or latter but what is "ToTNR"

(I'm gonna feel real stupid when it's somethin obvious)

9. AurraMouse

AurraMouse Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 1, 2001
    Tales of the New Republic??

10. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    In one of L. Neil Smith's novels (The Probabality Breach?), one character teases another for thinking he's "Lando Calrissian," and later an alien changes his name to Vuffi.

L. Neil Smith is the author of the Lando Trilogy and creator of Vuffi Raa.

11. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    In Bacta War, there's some technician whose name is a inside joke by Mike...

Oh, and the Jenos Idanian thing is not an in-joke, it's a tie-the-different-parts-of-EU-together plot devices.

Ara
    (Spoonerism is contagious... beware the guy with the Spoon!)

12. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    "What do we do for entertainment? Nothing. There are no women assigned to Folor Base. Because of the general's philosophical beliefs, there's no alcohol, no gambling, and we can't watch broadcasts from Commenor. This has led to a rather high suicide rate, but there's no getting around that. We do have some holorecordings of Coruscant diplomatic functions, if you'd like to see that." - Wedge, to Han (Wraith Squadron)

Janson: His name is Kettch, and he's an Ewok.
    Wedge: No.
    Janson: Oh, yes. Determined to fight. You should hear him say 'yub, yub.' He makes it a battle cry.
    Wedge: Wes, assuming he could be educated up to Alliance fighter-pilot standards, an Ewok couldn't reach an X-wing's controls.
    Janson: He wears arm and leg extensions.
    Wedge: Please tell me you're kidding.
    Janson: Of course I'm kidding.
    Wedge: I'm going to get you, Janson.
    Janson: Yub, yub, Commander.
    -Wraith Squadron

Hilarious. [face_laugh]

13. Thief

Thief Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 29, 2001
    A Decipher card calls General Veers "the very model of the Imperial officer," a tip o' th' hat to Gilbert & Sullivan's Major-General Stanley, the very model of the modern major-general.

Gamer #7 includes a picture of a 'droid demanding to know the laden velocity of a mynock.

Both Essege Tuketu's gunner Skids and Face Loran have made the comment "Pardon me, have you seen my wits? I had them here just a moment ago---"

And, of course, who can forget the O-so-clever Hari Seldona, poet from Alderaan---a clear reference to Isaac Aasimov's Foundation and its character, Hari Seldon.

There's a whole metric horde of this sort of humour in the pits of Moffell.

The Moffship blunders on!

14. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    And who can forget Big Bird or the Silly Rabbit from L. Neil Smith's books.

15. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Entoo Needaan E-elz! He bears a suspicous resemblance to C3P0. :D (hint, sound the name out...)

16. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Actor Burt Reynolds is on the Council of Blood in CEII.

17. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    DHC Comics Editor, Peet Janes becomes a character using his "Star Wars Name" (see the thing making the internet rounds every so often) as Peeja Mobet.

18. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    And the Barada, Nikto and whatchamacallams were taken from the infamous words of The Day the Earth Stood Still: Klaatu, Verata, Nikto!

19. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Everyone in Union is a big name star.

20. CommanderSesfan

CommanderSesfan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    In Starfighters of Adumar, there's Hobbie's line "And I'll get back to you on my last name. Lots of people misspell it", which is, of course, a reference to Allston himself misspelling Hobbie's name as Klivan in his first Wraith book.

Sesfan

21. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    Jenos Idanian is an anagram for Indiana Jones? that's cool...i've never noticed that before... :)

22. loser_fett

loser_fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere that the zhan in Yuuzhan Vong is an homage to Timothy Zahn.

23. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

That would make sense since both destroy things in the Galaxy far, far away. :D

24. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
  25. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Although this isnt exactly an in joke but more a homage, I figured I throw it in anyway, cuz I thought it was nice. In CoD, near the very beginning, when one of the characters says, 'Stars' End.' I thought it was a nice touch by Luceno and a greta way to honor his friend Brian Daley.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.