main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

In light of the PT, episodes 4, 5 and 6 need to be re-made from the ground up.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Sitara, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggernaut86

Juggernaut86 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    The acting scenes should stay

but the dogfights and ships should be cgi

but the ANH Anakin/Vader fight is a shame

2. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    How is the Kenobi-Vader duel a "shame?"

Because it's dated?

Everything is dated.

The duel in Phantom Menace is dated as well. They actors aren't doing acrobatics on par with what we see in ROTS, and we hardly see ANY dueling in AOTC, so do those need to be remade as well? I mean, they're dated, and they're not as exciting as what we're used to seeing. In about three more years, ROTS will be more dated than it already is, will that need to be remade too? Seeing as how we won't take time into context and all...

3. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    The Battle of Yavin at least already is CGI. It was something done back in the SEs. They also re-did much of the Falcon's scenes with CGI.

Which is why I find the common justification flawed, and I'm actually seriously wondering if Lucas won't keep updating all 6.

4. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Those of you who know me know I prefer the O-OT to any other SW, so when I suggest maybe remaking the OT isn't such a bad idea, I'm not coming from a place of critizing the OT. Here's my thinking: It would be good if the OT were remade to better fit visually and story-wise with the PT, if this in turn meant the original versions of the OT were then left as original versions and left alone. Trying to PT the OT just isn't working. However, a new OT (or would it simply be the New Trilogy?) would match the styles, fitting the OT better with the PT and allowing the fanbase of the PT to have a series that looks and feels more unity, while the O-OT could then live on in home video formats. In this way everyone gets what they want.

The OT as we know it works better as something called "The Star Wars Trilogy", which is not a fan name for it, but a name that GL and LFL attached to it for many years. And it worked like that. ANH and the likes were better if they are simply: Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi (which is how all theatrical releases, even the 1997 SE release, advertised them), not as Ep. 4, 5 and 6.

But the PT is not without merrit. It, too, is high quality sci-fi. It's also an incomplete story in-and-of-itself. You can't end it with Ep. 3, so you need more.

By creating a new OT and preserving the old OT, you create two SW universes. For those who like the new better, this is a win. For those who like the old better, they can ignore the new and life is good -- so that's a win. For those who like it all, now you have twice the fun, and that's another win.

But, to be honest, if GL were to remake the OT, I think he would discontinue ALL forms of the original OT, and that would be bad, very bad. So, it's a good idea in theory, but probably not in practice.

Besides, its all academic. GL won't remake the OT.

5. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    "better actors"

[face_laugh] *guffaw* [face_laugh] [face_sick]

Yeah, you're right..b/c no one beats Portman's performance in Sith :rolleyes:

6. AL_Patterson

AL_Patterson Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Not because it's dated just because it looks horrendous. It's a man in a plastic suit and an old man whacking each other with a stick. The stunt choreographer must have just said "ok, Dave, Alec, here are your sticks, now just try to whack each other." And then on top of that, the saber duels are completely inconsistent from the PT and the OT. Back when it was just the OT, the Ben vs Vader fight was much more acceptable because people looked at it as it was, an old man and a man in the suit. But then in the PT, GL had to have people even older than Ben flipping doing huge numbers with their swords.

Have you ever seen the old Robin Hood films from the 50s? Those sword fights are MUCH better than Vader vs Ben from ANH. The only reason that fight isn't cringe worthy is because they're using lightsabers.

And hardly see any dueling in AOTC? Well atleast you see more than in the OT which only has one duel in each film. But actually, that doesn't bother me. I really liked it back in the OT days because I think it gave the lightsabers a much stronger aura, it was used only when necessary. Now in the PT, everyone pulls out a lightsaber for just the smallest problem.

7. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    "Not because it's dated just because it looks horrendous. ... Back when it was just the OT, the Ben vs Vader fight was much more acceptable because people looked at it as it was, an old man and a man in the suit. But then in the PT, GL had to have people even older than Ben flipping doing huge numbers with their swords. "

I often defend the PT in most of these types of discussions, however the ridiculous acrobatics of Count Dooku are completely out of bounds of anything Star Wars. It's certainly believable that a young Obi Wan would be flipping and jumping and so forth, but then after 20 years on Tattoine, as well as Vader's physical limitations, the Death Star Fight seems completely acceptable. However, when compared to the PT reference point we're given of a whirling dervish Count Dooku & Yoda makes the Death Star fight on the surface seem stilted and stiff. It's an example of blatant inconsistency between the two trilogies, and I still cringe whenever I see a cgi Christopher Lee hopping around like Super Mario.

In terms of remaking the OT to serve the PT... I like Stryphe's idea, but only as popcorn fun. The OT, as he noted, is "The Star Wars Trilogy." I thoroughly enjoy the PT, but it should have no place in determining the OT. Where the problems arise, in my opinion, is that the technology used to create the PT is so vastly different than the OT that there's simply no way to create a sense of seamlessness. Had GL made 7- 9 instead of 1 - 3, it might have been easier to sell the slicker effects. He's tried to bridge the gap by special editionizing the OT again and again, but unless he actually takes Stryphe's suggestion and simply remakes the OT, there's no reason to touch it. Those of us who enjoy both trilogies can choose what needs to be overlooked in the PT to achieve a better sense of continuity.

Lastly: Loco: "Everything is dated.

The duel in Phantom Menace is dated as well. They actors aren't doing acrobatics on par with what we see in ROTS, and we hardly see ANY dueling in AOTC, so do those need to be remade as well? I mean, they're dated, and they're not as exciting as what we're used to seeing. In about three more years, ROTS will be more dated than it already is, will that need to be remade too?"

You're absolutely right. Look no further than the fact that we've had 2 CGI Jabbas in the same movie in a span of only 7 years. Maybe Lucas should issue OT Special Editions like software. Every couple years we can get the OT version 3.0.1.2 and so on. The same can be done with the PT, seeing that there are already 2 versions of TPM and AOTC, and supposedly another TPM with a digital Yoda somewhere on the horizon.

8. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    The fact that everything is dated (to a degree) is exactly the reason updating a film should not occur. Remakes would be more appropriate, although usually unnecessary, too.

9. Darthgordon

Darthgordon Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    Not really when you consider how well Vader is fighting in the next movie. I've always been a bit dissapointed in the duel in ANH. It really has nothing to do with Obi-wan or Vader physically. It has to do with Alec Guiness and David Prowse trying to fence with blades they couldn't even strike together. It has to do with a Vader suit that is difficult to see and move in. It has to do with the limitations of the 70's and an inexperienced crew working on a movie. However, it's the only part of the OT that bugs me (aside from some dated fx, which can still be easily fixed... and yes, I'm refering to the ones that were already added for the SE). So I see no reason to remake it. ...maybe 50 years or so down the road the whole saga could be remade.

10. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    Yep, many of the SE changes already look outdated. So unless we're going to get revisions every 5 years, I see no reason to change the OT anymore.

Anyway, I actually wouldn't mind an Episode VII, VIII, and IX. It could take place 30 years after ROTJ so that way we could still have Mark Hamill as Luke :p

11. yuna_kenobi

yuna_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    listen, the point is moot on all sides of the issue. with the way that lucas has more recently changed the history of the starwars universe and its denizens, everything would have to be redone to conform to everything else, and then, right there you would loose SW's greatest attribute, Inconformity. call me a heretic but look, einstein said that it is incomprehensible that the universe should be understood. yes, with the domineering way the sith interact with each other, Vader probobly would hav just killed Palpatine after becoming a sith, and no, Natalie Porman was no better an actor than anyone in the OT, in fact, i enjoyed the OT characterization more than the PT, yet Lucas's more recent characterization of the Sith, dosn't conforn to previous starwars works either.

if you were to redo Star Wars, you would have to redo all of it because, you have three main eras in the starwars, universe, OT, PT and KOTOR. all of them were spawned in different situations and all of them are governed differently, but all of them are just as good, even if they don't conform. In fact if anything, Lucas left holes for Fanfic/film/ect. to fill in any gaps.

That's my 2 cents, call me crazy, but redoing anything will ruin the whole thing, (i just photoshop out Natalie Portman, slide by slide):D

And Darth_Sidious- i love that idea...[face_peace]

12. wcleere

wcleere Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2002
    Exactly. Unfortunately it feels like we're living in an age we're nothing is cool unless it's new. The fact that half the "new" movies that come out are remakes, or big screen treatments of old TV shows, and sequels. Then on DVD we're treated to newly packaged "collector's Edition" and "Director's Cut" DVDs every week. The whole movie business, as well as Lucas, just can't seem to leave well enough alone.

13. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    That's a fair point, wcleere, but that is the nature of the business, and as long as feed it money so shall it be.

14. Han-my-boogie

Han-my-boogie Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2005
    Leave the OT be. *inhales* Thank god for the O-OT on DVD, It feels good watching pure unadulterated Star Wars *exhales*

15. Pacman729

Pacman729 Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2007
    No. The OT, does not need, to be remade.

16. yuna_kenobi

yuna_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    amen!

...even if i was born twenty years after it came out!

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I've said it before, but you don't need to re-film ANH to have among other things, a better Lightsaber duel. You just get two stuntmen wearing replicas of the outfits from 1976 and have them fight it out, intercut with older footage. But the fighting would be closer to TESB and ROTJ. Not the PT level. TESB and ROTJ are fine on their own. The former because Luke isn't as experienced as his father was in his prime and the latter due to the fight being more emotional, rather than a dazzling display of phyiscal skill.

18. bebbie

bebbie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    *sigh* Must it always fall back into ?the acting is SOOOO much better in the OT than in the PT??? It?s Star Wars for heavens sake. I?ve been watching these movies for 30 years - there are both good and bad performances in BOTH trilogies ? no better, no worse. BTW, no-one was taking about Harrison Ford?s ?great? acting in the OT around the time when the first three movies were released. Funny how it?s being described as ?great? now?? And CGI vs models ? I suggest people read ?365 days of Star Wars?

As for question of this thread ? The OT does not need to be remade. It?s fine as it is. It?s a brilliant story. The PT is a great back story to that, and the two connect just fine in this fan?s eyes.

19. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

=D=

20. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Sinister, that is a good point and I wouldn't be too surprise if GL does exactly that.

21. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000

22. bebbie

bebbie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002

23. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Must be an interesting world you live in where there are no subtler degrees of quality between "bad" and "great".

Harrison Ford's acting in SW wasn't GREAT. Good, but not great.

Relative to some of the horrific acting in the PT, Ford's performance in SW rivals Brando's best.

24. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
  25. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    Bag it, and tag it. If you don't like Star Wars there's plenty of other movies to watch. Or you can make your own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.