main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

In Love With Night (AU, Xani/Qui Angst, Drama) **NOTE: 2/4**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jedi_Suzuran, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    There I was, writing something on my other fic, when my Master obi_ew intruded on my thoughts. After some subtle hints *coughnotcough* ;) I've been inspired to post this.

This is your fault, Master. :p

Title: In Love With Night

Rating: PG-13

Archive: Ask and ye shall receive

Summary: Xanatos and Qui-Gon's relationship, from a different perspective.

Disclaimer: There once was a man named George,
    Who created Star Wars upon us to gorge.
    He copyrighted it tight,
    And try as I might,
    I ain't making any money off this, so don't sue, all right?

Author's Notes:
    1. The title was inspired by one of my favorite lines in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. They seemed to fit Xani.

2. The name of deCrion, which I gave to Xanatos, is courtesy of my master, obi_ew. Thanks, master. [face_love]

Enjoy the fluff! :)

Part I: Chosen

Prologue: Night

Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
    Take him and cut him out in little stars,
    And he will make the face of heaven so fine
    That all the world will be in love with night
    And pay no worship to the garish sun.
    --Romeo and Juliet, Act 3, Scene 2.

It was night when I first saw him.

Having come back from another "Planet-A-wants-a-treaty-with-Planet-B-but-Group-1-is-opposed-so-they-decide-to-bomb-the-talks-to-kill-everyone-including-me" mission, I walked through the Temple, heading for my room. There was no one about, it was far too late an hour.

As I passed the doorway of the Gardens, I heard a noise. I slowed my progress, wondering if I was imagining things. Who would be up at this time?

I heard it again, the sound of flesh hitting the ground. My curiosity got the better of me, and I followed the echo to its source.

I would never forget that moment.

Standing in front of the illuminated koi pond, was a young boy. He had a practice saber in his hand. As I watched, he slashed the air, his movements precise and fluid, and leaped, twirling in midair.

Very good, I thought, in my Master voice.

He landed beautifully, but stumbled, a bit off balance. Well, no one was perfect, and he was young.

The boy, however, wasn't pleased with that.

He scowled briefly, and did the maneuver again, and again and again. Harder, faster, with more precision.

I continued to watch him. He was a wonderful sight. His hair, gleaming strands of rich black, hugged his head. He was thin and lanky, but would no doubt be tall and lithe, an impressive figure in the future. He already had grace in his movements. I couldn't see his eyes, it was too dark.

I wanted to.

He leaped into the air again, doing a back flip. He overcompensated, falling hard on the grass. He was still, gasping for breath.

I took a step forward, concerned, but then he began to laugh. It was a deep, joyful sound, and I relaxed immediately. He was all right.

He lay there, gazing up at the night sky. It was an illusion, of course, we were in a building, but it was so real. A curved sky, swathed in layers of seductive midnight, glittering with the sparkle of gemlike crystalline stars. Bridging the gap between Heaven, sheltering me with its beauty; haunting me with its distance.

The boy was equally enraptured, lying there, making not a sound.

I stood there for a long time, marking this child as mine. I had not thought to take another padawan so soon; Dinaësi had been knighted only four months before.

Excuses. You know it's meant to be.

It was. I couldn't deny that. I knew that later this morning there would be initiates presenting themselves to Masters and Knights, hoping to be chosen. This boy would be among them.

I would choose him.

It was meant to be.

Looking back now, I think he chose me.

2. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Suzuran... oh...

wow... *shocked speechless*

That was beautiful. I loved Qui-Gon's thoughts...

*applause* Well done! :)

3. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I actually got in at the beginning of one of your stories. :)

I can picture everything. You did a great job with the visuals/description.

4. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    [face_plain] :( :_| :D :) Oh Padawan I don't know what to say! I'm so honored and humbled.Is there going to be more? I love Xan and I only got to see a little glimpse of him.Beautifully written and I was spellbound from the first line! * wanders off crying into her kleenex *

5. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    I refuse to let Xan fall clear down here! :mad:

6. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    Well, I was reading your other fic and saw someone mention this, so here I am. Your master dragged me over to the Xan fan club with Underneath a Sky of Dust, so now I am thrilled to see another Xanatos story go up on the boards.

Wonderful imagery in the first post. It made me sad however, comparing this choosing of a padawan with the rejection that awaits poor Obi-Wan down the line. :(

Looking forward to more. :D

7. Master_Comedy_Kitty

Master_Comedy_Kitty Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2002
    Oh........wow.....just wow. I mean.....uh wow. :D Is there another word for 'wow'?

8. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    Wow Jedi_Suzuran... this was a great post...

Like I told your Master...you all are making me like Xani...I dont know if this should be a good thing or a bad thing....

Good job...I really loved it..

PT

9. Drunk_on_Tang

Drunk_on_Tang Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2002
    There you go again, Suzuran... I wish I could write stuff like that... Its just so great...

~Dot

10. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    Yay, readers! :D

sheleigh:
    wow... *shocked speechless*

That was beautiful. I loved Qui-Gon's thoughts...

[face_blush] Thanks! :D

PadawanKitara:
    I actually got in at the beginning of one of your stories.

I can picture everything. You did a great job with the visuals/description.

There's a beginning to my stories? ;) :p Thanks. [face_love]

Master:
    Oh Padawan I don't know what to say! I'm so honored and humbled.Is there going to be more? I love Xan and I only got to see a little glimpse of him.Beautifully written and I was spellbound from the first line! * wanders off crying into her kleenex *

:( My poor Master. *hands Master a red hanky* There you go, wipe your pretty eyes. :)

And thanks for the up! :D

Sheila:
    Well, I was reading your other fic and saw someone mention this, so here I am. Your master dragged me over to the Xan fan club with Underneath a Sky of Dust, so now I am thrilled to see another Xanatos story go up on the boards.

:) My Master has turned many to the Xani Side of the Force. [face_love]

Wonderful imagery in the first post. It made me sad however, comparing this choosing of a padawan with the rejection that awaits poor Obi-Wan down the line.

Ah, I hadn't thought of it that way. [face_blush] Silly me! Thanks! [face_love]

Master_Comedy_Kitty:
    Oh........wow.....just wow. I mean.....uh wow. Is there another word for 'wow'?

[face_laugh] I have no idea. Woo-hoo, I reduced someone almost speechless, my day is made! [face_devil] :D

PT:
    Wow Jedi_Suzuran... this was a great post...

Like I told your Master...you all are making me like Xani...I dont know if this should be a good thing or a bad thing....

Shh! Don't say that near my Master or she'll be mad! :_| It's a good thing, a good thing! ;) :p :)

Good job...I really loved it...

Thanks. :)

DOT:
    There you go again, Suzuran... I wish I could write stuff like that... Its just so great...

[face_blush] Aw, you're sweet, DOT. Thanks.

<<< To Everyone >>> (especially my Master)

THIS IS A STORY, NOT A VIGNETTE! THERE WILL BE MORE! [face_devil] [face_devil]

11. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Beautiful, beautiful! [face_love] I just love a story that sounds so beautiful to read.

I usually don't read non-Obi fics(I'm a little obsessed ;)), but I just might make an exception here.

I hope Qui will be a nice guy here. [face_pleading-eyes]

12. Jedi_Knight_Hunter

Jedi_Knight_Hunter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Why can't he be a little older (Xani ) :X :X :X

*thinks there should be a meeting for Xani and Obi lovers annonymous*

excellent post, it's not everyday I can say this, but thus far I like your Qui

13. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    Cas:
    Beautiful, beautiful! I just love a story that sounds so beautiful to read.

Such praise! [face_blush] Thank you. :)

I hope Qui will be a nice guy here. [face_pleading-eyes]

I'll do my best. :)

J_K_H:

Why can't he be a little older (Xani )

Oh, I have a feeling he will be. [face_devil]

*thinks there should be a meeting for Xani and Obi lovers annonymous*

Hmm, I gotta agree with you there.

excellent post, it's not everyday I can say this, but thus far I like your Qui

Thanks! :) Glad you like Qui here. :)

Not sure if I'll have a post tomorrow, as I'll be busy. I'll try during the weekend, but if not, then Monday for sure. :)

14. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    This is a story,not a vignette!There will be more! :eek: :D :)

* grabs chair and sits waiting for more Xan! *

15. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    Your beautiful post inspired me to write a little intro poem last night to my next post for Breath of Night that I'll put up whenever I get the thing finished - the next post, I mean. It might not be until my other story is done though. Sadly, I can't work on more than one at a time. But I just wanted to let you know your lovely writings are inspiring. Please keep writing, Suzuran! :)

16. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
  17. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    * wipes drool away with back of hand as she sits staring.And waiting! *

18. Drunk_on_Tang

Drunk_on_Tang Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2002
    MORE PLEASE SOON!

::falls into coma from lack of posts::

~Dot

19. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Beautifully poetic - and prophetic. A very intriguing beginning, filled with lovely imagery.

You know, of course, I have NO time for this - but I have a feeling I'll find a way to drop in from time to time.

Lovely, JS - just lovely.

CYN

20. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    * looks around * Padawan? Padawan? Where's my Xan post? :(

21. Jedi_Suzuran

May 22, 2002
    Cas:
    Your beautiful post inspired me to write a little intro poem last night to my next post for Breath of Night that I'll put up whenever I get the thing finished - the next post, I mean. It might not be until my other story is done though. Sadly, I can't work on more than one at a time. But I just wanted to let you know your lovely writings are inspiring. Please keep writing, Suzuran!

[face_blush] [face_blush] Oh, I'm so honored! I didn't think I'd ever inspire anyone. I can't wait to read what you write. I'm sure it'll be beautiful. :)

Oh, and thank you so much for the up! [face_love] [face_love] You're the best. :D

Master:
    * wipes drool away with back of hand as she sits staring.And waiting! *

Subtle escapes you, doesn't it, Master? ;) :p

DOT:
    MORE PLEASE SOON!

::falls into coma from lack of posts::

Don't you dare die again! I won't have a permanent paramedic for the thread just for you, DOT.

CYN:
    Beautifully poetic - and prophetic. A very intriguing beginning, filled with lovely imagery.

Thanks. [face_blush]

You know, of course, I have NO time for this - but I have a feeling I'll find a way to drop in from time to time.

Lovely, JS - just lovely.

Well, whenever you can read this is fine with me. :D Thanks for the kind words. [face_love]

Master:
    * looks around * Padawan? Padawan? Where's my Xan post?

Eep! Master, it's here, it's here! :_|

*mumbles about mean Masters*
    :p
    Okay, okay, here you go!

Here's the post!

Chapter I: Across a Distance

You'll be picked. You'll be picked.

I kept telling myself that, as we made our way to the sparring hall, where Masters and Knights awaited. My skills were good, but I was also, at ten, one of the youngest hopefuls today. I still had two more years to be selected as a padawan, but I had worked extra hard to convince Master Ino'ke to put me in this group.

A heavy hand fell on my shoulder. "Nervous, Xanatos?"

I turned to look into Master Ino'ke's purple eyes. "A bit," I admitted softly.

One of his other 4 arms ruffled my hair. I squirmed, wrinkling my nose. What was it about my hair that fascinated people? It was just black strands. There were many adults, and kids too, who loved to touch or stroke it.

He grunted, the Schoalian equivalent of boisterous laughter, quite used to my reaction."I never thought to see the day you'd be nervous, Xani," he said, baring his teeth in a smile.

"Easy for you to say, you're a Master already," I mumbled, shifting my practice saber from one hand to the other.

He laughed again. "True enough. Do well, Xanatos, that is all that is required of you."

I nodded. "Yes, Master."

I have to.

We lined up, in alphabetical order, so I was at the very end. I was glad that my best friend, Shi-Ara was here. She got out of formation, standing beside me.

"Aren't you terrified, Xani?" She whispered, tugging at a thick lock of her curly brown hair and putting it in her mouth. Her cheeks were pale and her gray eyes were frightened.

"Course not, nothing to worry about," I told her loftily, straightening my tunic and standing taller. There was a muffled snicker from behind me. I turned just in time to see Master Ino'ke hide his mouth behind two huge hands. I scowled at him. His purple eyes widened innocently.

"Something you wanted, Xani?" He said, lips quivering.

Not funny, I told him mentally, though of course he wouldn't hear me. "No, nothing." I muttered. Masters! Far too much trouble. Why was I here again?

Shi-Ara didn't notice the exchange. She was chewing on her hair, something she always did when she was upset. "I think I'm going to be sick, Xani."

Here we go again. "You won't get sick." I told her firmly.

"Yes I will! I'm going to throw up in front of the Masters, I just know it!" The chewing increased in speed.

I rolled my eyes. "If you throw up in front of the Masters, I'll never let you live it down. I'll

22. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    * blows nose loudly and tries to speak coherently between sobs * :_| Oh Padawan I dunno if I will make it through this fic! That was simply...perfection! I love what your doing not only with my little Xani but with this whole relationship! More please? :)

23. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    What a wonderful post. So full of warmth and friendly interaction between Xani and Shi-Ara. Good idea to introduce Xani's friends. It provides a richer background for him.

Please post more! :)

24. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    Nice post JS! The interaction between Xan and his friend was very sweet. Can't wait for more. :D

25. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I love the exchange between Xani and the other initiate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.