main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

In Memoriam: A Discussion of the Dead Characters in the EU

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Anakin_Solo02, Dec 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin_Solo02

Anakin_Solo02 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2002
    This thread is to discuss, agree and disagree :) why certain characters are killed, what it means to the sw universe now that they are dead, and how they could come back, etc. This is ONLY for characters that have already died in the EU, it does NOT have to be NJO neccessarily, although the first topic is

Chewbacca

2. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Did you get permission on this? Because there already is an official EU debate.

Why not just ask DarthAttorney if the next topic can be "Death in the EU"?

3. Anakin_Solo02

Sep 3, 2002
    I'll go first....

I think Chewbacca was killed to demonstrate that the star wars galaxy was no longer a safe place. Many of the characters realize this during Vector Prime and the later books. Chewie's death, while tragic, sets the stage for the rest of the NJO novels, most of which are decidedly dark. The new republic fights back and isn't losing too bad until after balance point, when it seems like they are beginning to get desperate. This is when the novels begin to turn darker and sadder. What i don't understand, however, is why, after chewie died to save anakin on serpindal, they killed off anakin. It almost demeans chewie's sacrifice. Like he died for nothing, since anakin was going to die later. We hate to see our favorite characters go, but i think when the writers of the njo began developing the series they realized that to make it as good as they were trying to make it, they would have to kill off some of the main characters. I disagree with the choice of Chewbacca and Anakin, i think that maybe Mara and Jacen would've been a better combination. But oh well. Some characters most likely will not be killed, and here are the ones i don't think they'll touch....

1.Luke Skywalker
    2.Han Solo
    3.Leia Solo
    4.Jaina Solo
    5.Ben Skywalker

I think's it's still possible that they'll kill jacen, although that would be sorta dumb, since there'd only be one solo kid left, and the series is supposed to revolve around them. I think that they will kill mara, but they won't touch any of the above.

4. Anakin_Solo02

Sep 3, 2002
    xie - because death in the eu is too broad a topic to be covered only in one argument. each character should get it's own discussion.

5. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    I repeat: Did you ask?

This isn't your forum to judge which characters get their own topics.

6. Anakin_Solo02

Sep 3, 2002
    no one ever told me that you had to ask just to make a topic. i believe that's what there's mods for. if there is a bad topic, they remove.

7. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Most of the time, no. Maybe I'm way off base here, but seeing as how there is an Official EU Debate, an Unofficial EU Debate seems redundant.

8. Gotterdammerung

Gotterdammerung Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    xie, it's the Unofficial EU Death Debate. There's a narrower topic open for discussion.

9. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    How about we stick to the topic and leave the politics to the those whose job it is to worry about these kind of things.

I agreee with Anakin_Solo02 about Chewie saving Anakin and then Anakin being killed. I also wanna add that I was kind of saddened in the way Ganner Rhystonne (spelling?) was killed. Just the way that they describede his "passing" I think was done really well; and then Vergre telling Jacen about the Vong folklore and "The Ganner" statue was a good way to pay homage to a not all that famous Jedi. I still didn't like him being killed but they made up for it. They have yet to pay for Anakin's death. :mad:

10. Gotterdammerung

Gotterdammerung Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Anakin's death came through as a bit pointless. He just glowed a bit, then died. At least Chewie's death was dramatic, and had a point.

As for "the Ganner" I can't complain. It was wonderfully done.

11. Anakin_Solo02

Sep 3, 2002
    i think anakin should've never been killed in the first place... how do you build a character up so much and then just crush him?

i would have to agree that 'The Ganner' was wonderfully done. although i hate to see him go.

12. Pervy_Man_Fancier

Pervy_Man_Fancier Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2002
    Jaina must die. Or be inable of speaking, moving, or passing thought.

Or winking. None of those sneaky "One for Yes, Two for No" kind of things.

Mara too.

That is all I have to contribute.

13. Cyber_SkyForce

Cyber_SkyForce Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 2002
    Tell me Why Jania must die? Also tell me why Mara must die? Come on people. No one NEEDS to die. We aint the people writting the NJO. WE are the people talking about it. Its not our place to discuss who should and shouldn't die! This thread was started to talk about the people who HAVE died not the ones who might die or who we wish to die.

14. Anakin_Solo02

Sep 3, 2002
    very true. although i have word from DA that the thread will be renamed to something like "In Memoriam: A Discussion of the Dead Characters in the EU" or something to that effect. jaina isn't dead yet, and i sure hope she doesn't die. she's my favorite character that's still alive. (anakin's dead!!!!) mara, i'm not a huge fan of, but i don't hate her.

15. Anakin_Solo02

Sep 3, 2002
    i will be posting the next topic within a day. chewie doesn't seem to be too popular.

16. Lucid_Lady

Lucid_Lady Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2002
    It was sad when Chewie died. I just sat there and kept asking "why." He had dedicated his life to Han and his family at the cost of never seeing his own. He didn't deserve it.

17. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Chewie's death was done purely to shock us and shake everything up, nothing more. And what better way to do it then by killing one of the most beloved SW characters ever ? Sure, it was a huge gamble, but a shakeup was definitely needed and we got it big time. Besides, Chewie had already been developed about as much as he could have, and a noble death was probably a better option over simply fading away into the background one day.

As for characters who I think should be killed off, I'll be thrilled if Mara, Jaina or Lando go.

18. Anakin_Solo02

Sep 3, 2002
    if at the end of the njo, they killed either luke or leia and also mara, i think it would add a nice touch. :)

19. Anakin_Solo02

Sep 3, 2002
    okay, DarthAttorney has renamed the thread (he asked me first) just in case you were wondering what happened.

20. Anakin_Solo02

Sep 3, 2002
    OK, now we have a vote on who the next topic should be on....remember, the character you vote for to talk about must be already dead, and must have died in the eu. okay, vote!

21. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    hmm, that's actually hard. although there are many charactors that have died, no one really comes to mind right now. Guess I'll have to vote later, :D

22. Anakin_Solo02

Sep 3, 2002
    The new topic is...

Anakin Solo

Discuss! :)

23. Apophis

Apophis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    I didn't like the death of Gaeriel Captison.

24. Anakin_Solo02

Sep 3, 2002
    that was sad.

25. JediMaster41589

JediMaster41589 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    Crix Madine.
    He died like a soldier... :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.