main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ark In Memorium 9/11

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by otisdodge, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    Y'all may know that I'm not the most conservative politically, so this is not a stump speech and I don't want it to become political.

I just thought maybe some people would want to talk about their feelings about the anniversary or what they remember from the actual day.

I didn't find out until after the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower. I heard about it on the news on the way to school, and then commiserated and mourned with my friends (fellow students and several professors) in the studio at BYU. I was in shock. It was like it wasn't real. I didn't see any images of the attacks until later that day--we were listening to the radio at the studio.

To tell you the truth, I was in shock for months. To a certain extent I still am. Most of us will never be the same. The world IS different. I never never really new depression before 9/11. Oh, I had sad periods, and even sometimes previous that might have been diagnosable as depression, but not like since.

I can't even imagine what it must be like for people who were/are closer to the tragedies. I don't really know anyone who died in the attacks. I don't even know anyone close to me who has died in the wars since. To be a victim, or a relative of a victim, or a first responder, or a soldier... I don't know those things and I have the deepest respect and empathy towards them.

I was sick this morning, so I wasn't up to observe the moments of silence with the rest of the country. But I wore black today as a memorial, and I have spent a lot of time today and in the last week or so thinking about it.

2. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    I was going thru the front gate of the base when the first one struck. It's amazing at how fast a base can close. Within seconds the base was shut down and secured. I was juz glad I was able to get on prior to lockdown.

I know it sounds harsh...but I actually was shocked that it had taken this long for something like that to happen. Our security had been lax for far too long. I hate the fact that it took something this drastic for folks to realize that. What a sad and horrible wake up call...

I juz hope it never happens again... we watched it live on CNN at work once I got there. It was scary cuz the live shots of the first hit revealed the second plane hitting the other tower. It was hairy there. One of my supervisors had a relative that worked near the top of WTC, and she didn't survive obviously. He still is shook up about it. I called him yesterday and talked with him for a good 30 mins.

Sadly, even Duncan remembers it (my kid). He even mentioned it to me last night when I was tucking him in. He wanted to add those families to our evening prayer. He said that he even remembered watching it on TV at school. (though that kind'a chaps my hide... my kid was like 6...kids that age don't need to be watching that stuff, but oh well I'm not the school or the system). I had a HECKUVA lot to explain to him once he got home from school. No thanks to that teacher... but that's another matter.

I juz hope those who had relatives that were touched by that event have someone they can talk to and receive comfort from. [:D] May the love of your faith comfort and guide you. That day shall be remembered for a long, long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.