main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"in my experience there's no such thing as luck"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Theory55, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theory55

Theory55 Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 3, 2004
    this occured to me just now.. when obiwan said "in my experience there's no such thing as luck" in ANH, was he referring to the then thought of luck of finding a brand new army for the republic in AOTC? Then later he might have found it it was all a trap, so he wasn't lucky at all?

2. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    There's no luck because everything happens by will of the force. Qui-Gon said that in The Phantom Menace.

Something along these lines:

"Finding him was no accident. It was the will of the force."

I know the quotes may not be successive, but they give the same meaning. There are no accidents there is the force, there is no luck, it is the will of the force.

3. Theory55

Apr 3, 2004
    yes, but the way he phrases it.. "in my experience..." just reminds me of him seeing first hand the creation of the clones..

4. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    Does this mean that Han used the force to kill Boba Fett??? cool!!!

5. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    No but the force willed it (though Boba didnt die- at least according to EU) and to none-jedi it would seem like luck

Its how you perceive things and which side you are on :)

6. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    Exactly.

And, another PT thing, qui-gon says that without midichlorians life wouldn't exist.

I don't remember the website, but it had a breakdown of the midichlorian (force potential i think it was called) in each major Star Wars character. Han Solo displayed a considerable high count, but he cant weild it, and channel it like a jedi. He attributes his longevity to luck, which is basically him using the power granted to him by his midichlorian count

7. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    So, if make a website that says "Han used the force to kill Boba Fett", does that mean Han used the force to kill Boba Fett??? Cool!!! If so, I'm gong to make that webpage. Does anyone know HTML?

8. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    He didn't use the force.

It's a tough thing to explain.

He has the midichlorians enhancing his ability subconsciouly, because he cant directly control it.

9. Theory55

Apr 3, 2004
    err i think his point was that the midichlorian website you referred to is not canon.

and this is getting off topic

10. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    The most obvious example as the will of the force looking like luck was Anakin's destruction of the Nemoidian Droid Control Ship in TPM. It's pretty clear that scene was written in that manner with the "no such thing as luck" line in mind.

Just another example of how the prequels are often written to match the OT, and to justify lines from it.

11. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I don't remember the website, but it had a breakdown of the midichlorian (force potential i think it was called) in each major Star Wars character.

That thing is a pure Supershadow creation, i.e. an utter load of pure, unadulterated BS. I don't mean to divert the thread off-topic, so I'm just clarifying.

12. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    I know it wasn't created by Supershadow.

It was entirely EU, and the breakdown was made pretty well, and gave a detailed explanation of how each person reacted to their level. I found it helpful, though probably doctored by someone who isn't in anyway canon, in understanding better the nature of the force and the midichlorians.

13. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    OK, I guess we're talking about different ones. The only one I've heard of is that one with just a list of names and numbers, and it has Anakin at 21,000 and some references to SS's delusions about "Darth Imperius" and "Kaja Sinis", but I guess that's a different one. Still, AFAIK, there's no official midichlorian counts, just fan-made ones. Sorry for derailing this thing.

On topic, I don't think Obi-Wan's statement should be taken completely literally; after all, if you're gambling and win, it's a stretch to say that was the will of the Force. It more refers to instances like Luke's shot at the Death Star and Anakin's destruction of the TF ship - those may have seemed like "lucky shots", but they were really the Force at work.

14. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.