main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social In one year...

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Big Bad Yoda Daddy, Dec 14, 2016.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I actually was the opposite. I saw the JP movie first, and then tried to read the book. As I was in 7th grade, it felt a little too "adult" for my taste, so I never finished it-and only about three years ago did I read JP and Lost World all the way thru-and loved them!

As for TPM, I was in a prep school in small town Wisconsin. There was only one (kind of rundown) theater, and I was going to wait until summer vacation to see it in my hometown in the Chicago area, as I was in the middle of all the proceedings for graduating High School at the time. But my friends (who had just seen it on opening day) literally came back to campus, told me to drop what I was doing, and we all walked about 20 minutes out to that theater and watched it.

I was glad I did.

2. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I saw TPM in a mall theater in DC. There were no lines wrapped around the block. I do remember the INSANE hype, and just remember loving it. I wasn't alive when the original SW was released, and an infant and toddler during TESB and ROTJ. So I had no memory whatsoever of the SW hype. I always wanted to experience it. I got a taste during the SE release, but TPM felt like I finally got to partake in what the people from 1977 might have experienced.

I did see both AOTC and TFA in NYC, at the theater I mentioned earlier. The line was wrapped around the corner for both of those viewings. They were insane.

Luke'sSeveredHand and DARTH_BELO like this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I stood in line for three days to get tickets to the ROTS midnight screening. That's the closest I've ever gotten to the real Star Wars hype (well, if you don't count Celebration last year). We have reserved seating at all our major cinemas in Sweden, so lines before the movie starts don't usually last longer than maybe ten-fifteen minutes, but lining up to get the tickets was amazing. We were maybe two hundred people standing in line, outside in northern Sweden in late April/early May. For three days and nights. It was tough, but one of my fondest fandom memories.

I actually kind of miss that. Now I just booked the tickets online and picked them up from a machine later the same day. Not really the same thing. :p
    Then again, I'm really not up for standing in line that long these days - especially with the movies being released in the winter now.

Luke'sSeveredHand and DARTH_BELO like this.
  4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    jaqen, that was the same for me, regarding experiencing the hype for TPM. It sounds like I'm about the same age as you, so the OT was basically just a trilogy of cool movies to me. But I was the perfect age for the PT, and it being embroiled in all the anticipation of that time was what made me the fan I am now.

TCF-1138, That's some dedication right there!! But I will admit nowadays, it's kind of...anticlimactic, cos all we have to do now is just go online and reserve seats, and I can show up as late as five minutes before the movie starts! Not that I'm complaining though-there is something to be said about the assurance of having the best seats in the house...:p

jaqen and TCF-1138 like this.