main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq In order to remove nastiness from the countdown...

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Jaina Byrd, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    Take it outside! Here! Aggies vs. Lobos. Let's have a clean, healthy debate!

I have nothing to say at this juncture, other than the fact that we are not marbles, as our good friend Mr. Bloodclaw may tell you. :p

2. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    Is an "aggie" a school mascot? I think I have heard of the lobos from NM as a sports team.

3. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Kind of! Aggies refer to New Mexico State originating as an Agricultural school. (As it is with a few other other schools across the nation.) That's our name- but our mascot is Pistol Pete.

4. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Hey Imperial Birrer! The Aggie is the unofficial moniker of students that attend New Mexico State University. The teams are referred to as "The Aggies".

FYI, there are several schools sporting the Aggies name. I believe there's at least one in Texas that go by the Aggies as well. Can't recall who, though, at the moment.

5. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Texas A&M. :D OK State, now the Cowboys, used to be the Aggies too... and they use Pistol Pete as well.

Bob, should we involve Tech in this? :p

6. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Thankfully Tech doesn't have any "real" sports. At least anything affiliated with the NCAA.

Tech's got intercollegiate rugby and soccer teams. They also compete at various other sports (fencing, etc).

So I'm staying outta this one.

And let's definitely try to keep this thread in good humor, all!

7. Bloodclaw65

Bloodclaw65 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Both are Great University's. peace to the Aggie's

[face_cowboy]

P.s Like the name (Outer Rim)

8. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    NOW I REMEMBER!

The New Mexico Tech ruggers are known as the Pygmies.

The woman's rugby team? You guessed it, the Lady Pygmies, though they don't compete at the intercollegiate level.

The Tech men's and women's intercollegiate teams are known as the Miners and the Minerettes, respectively.

*sigh*

9. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    I thought I heard something about green sheep...? Do you know anything about this, Bob?

10. Salvan

Salvan Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2004
    Man I didn?t even know the name of the Rugby team at Tech until today and I lived in Socorro Practically my whole life lol Now that I?m thinking about it I miss Socorro. :( ALBQ has me scared. You Know I?ve been Robbed THREE times since moving here a year and a half ago...ahh well at least ABQ has Starbucks ;)

11. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Wow...sorry to hear that Salvan. Definitely think ABQ is getting a bit too big too fast..I've lived her practically my whole life and for the most part it has been a mellow place. I still like the smaller towns like Las Cruces though. LOTS of good memories there in Aggie-land.

12. Salvan

Dec 4, 2004
    Its ok Wook:) Although one of the thefts was pretty major(involving my wifes purse...credit cards...and all that personal info) the one that hurt the most was when my Backpack was stolen because it had my Star Wars RPG core rule book in it... I was devistated after that LOL

13. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    I've never had anything stolen here in Cruces! :p Move to Las Cruces. Come see the lovely ladies. ;)

14. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Lovely ladies? o_O

Don't know nothing about any green sheep.

15. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Lovely ladies...

a la Monty Python and the Holy Grail opening credits...

And I'm lovely! :p [face_batting]

16. Salvan

Dec 4, 2004
    Las Crucas? Hmmm Dont they simulate the Baton (I know thats wrong but I cant remember the correct spelling arg) Death March in Las Crucas because its so freakin hot and torturous? lol

17. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Actually, it's the Bataan Death March, and it's the highway between Alamogordo (but closer really to Alamo) and Las CrucEs. I'm quite familiar with the Bataan Memorial Death March, I have friends who did it for EXTRA CREDIT for class. They are crazy and I had to listen to them complain about blisters on their feet for like a month.

The highway I drive on to go back and forth from home is the Bataan Memorial Highway. They're fanatics around here. :p

18. Salvan

Dec 4, 2004
    Ahh thats right Bataan and Las CrucEs. Sorry for the incorrect spelling :/ Las Cruces is a nice place although Ive rarely had the oppertunity to visit. I have a sister that lives in Alamogordo with her family so when we go south its there. I was just reading the Bataan info on the Web and now I feel bad for making light of those mens memorial march. :/

19. Bloodclaw65

Nov 3, 2004
    My uncle was in Bataan 18 year old lost left leg, right arm and his lower intestine had to eat baby food for the rest of his life. but he always had a great out look on life and went to school and became a shrink for the VA.

20. LetoQuorme

LetoQuorme Mos Alba FF Chapter Rep star 4

Nov 11, 2001
    Both of my sisters go to NMSU and my brother will be going there in August.

21. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Yes! You should hook me up with them if they like Star Wars. :p

...isn't anyone going to make a "UNM is teh best!!!11" comment? ;)

22. obi_dave_kenobi

obi_dave_kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Arrogance and pride are not virtues of a Jedi. Besides, why state the obvious.. o_O

23. Bloodclaw65

Nov 3, 2004
    When your the best people just no ..go LOBOS :p

24. LetoQuorme

LetoQuorme Mos Alba FF Chapter Rep star 4

Nov 11, 2001
    They've seen SW, and they like it, but they're not fans to the caliber that we are. To them they're just movies, and nowhere near their favorite movies.

25. Jaina Byrd

Feb 21, 1999
    Go Aggies!

...and yes. It is unfortunate that this sibling types (I have them too) just think that Star Wars is "okay". Blasphemy, I say!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.