main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT In original ROTS draft, Padme tried to stab Anakin in neck with knife on Mustafar!?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, May 12, 2017.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Saw this on Reddit the other day. Apparently so

Personally glad they didn't go through with that idea. Aside from the fact that Obi-Wan confronting Padme and telling her about it is one of my favourite scenes, I think even this would be a little too.... well, much

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Interesting - thanks for sharing, Ghost.

That being said, I am very glad they did not opt for this alleged ending, it's totally out of character for Padme - and I think it's rather crappy of Yahoo to claim that it would have been "much better."

Aside from some who have issues with her dying due to "losing the will to live," I really don't see many problems with the way the film ended. I thought it was great.

4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    edit: nevermind

5. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks for posting - that's just wild!

"Anakin your breaking my heart... .and oh, can you turn around there's something on your back, let me see if I can get it"

Pensivia, True Sith, DrDre and 9 others like this.
  6. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    Luke : " Do you remember your mother? Your real mother? "
    Leia : " Just...images, really. Feelings. "
    Luke : " Tell me. "
    Leia : " She was beautiful.Kind. But ... sad. And good with a knife."

7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Much as I'd have loved to have the Rebellion founding scenes included (I don't care about length, give me a 3, 4, 50 hour SW movie) I think Padme's role worked quite well, yes

There's a certain edge to the whole "about to stab him but can't bring herself to do it" that I do kinda like, but eh. Even most of r/starwars seems satisfied they didn't go for this

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As much as I disliked the sobbing and "you're breaking my heart" and losing the will to live, that would have been too far on the other extreme. I'm glad the writers did not go with it.

9. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    would have been cool if it was like a little pocket lightsaber knife or something...

if they went that route obviously :p

Ghost and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  10. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    typical of prequel bashing yahoo articles they claim that was the 'original better ending'

Alexrd, Slicer87 and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  11. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Here is the link detailing Padme at 28:00

12. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Yikes. The artwork picture is really chilling.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I should have read a bit more closely - it was Esquire UK that originated the crappy title of that article, Yahoo just reproduced it.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well according to the article (and video), she runs up to him, puts her arms around his neck... then her knife comes out, on his neck, and she can't do it. Then he goes insane and kills her and Obi-wan shows up.
    (I think even the finished draft also had an element of Anakin suspecting an Obi-wan/Padme romance too)

And as for it being "out of character"... it only became her character because that's how they wrote her in ROTS. In TPM, we see how place her role as Queen above her liking to Anakin, saying "the Queen would not approve" of Qui-gon's plan and bets. In AOTC, Obi-wan and Anakin talk about how Padme would do her duty and let Anakin die, if Anakin and Padme's roles were reversed (when she falls out). Her evolution to that wouldn't be more of a jump than Anakin's fall in the same movie. And apparently she still couldn't do it, but she tried, she brought it to the point of her knife at his neck.

Martoto77, Tho Yor and heels1785 like this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I was taking 99% of ROTS into context when I said it would be out of character. Unless they had other alterations to the plot that were not mentioned - perhaps Obi-Wan actually showing her the footage of the younglings being slain - it would be very odd for the Padme we see throughout ROTS to react to Obi-Wan's words so drastically that she would try to murder the father of her children.

16. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I remember reading about this when I was 10. Really disturbing to me. Padme was always an interesting character, even taking ROTS out of context, I'm not so sure I could see TPM or AOTC Padme doing the same thing. Just seems a bit too dark, even for Sith imo.

17. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I agree Deliveranze
    Just the picture gives me the creeps. Especially the look on Padme's face

Slicer87 and Deliveranze like this.
  18. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Yeah it just looks stone cold. I think its trying to give Vader an anti-hero edge for his actions. Like he tried to kill her in self-defense which keeps Vader's reputation in the OT as "honorable badass" intact. Obviously, Lucas's vision was to show how uncool turning to the dark side is and how selfish and evil Anakin has become. So it doesn't mesh at all well with the theme of the movie.

19. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I kind of feel like Padme would be more of a blaster person than a knife person......

20. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Why didn't she try a lightsaber?

21. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    It's not even about being dark. Children were murdered by our main character(and one died on-screen) a man chokes his own wife, then becomes burned alive. That in itself, for a children's movie, is incredibly depressing.

It's just completely out of character for her to even try and attempt at killing her husband. Plus, it would actually make her character genuinely stupid. She's a very eloquent and smart women, so she wouldn't just take someone's word as truth unless she saw it for herself(and she did).

Edit: Sorry heels. Meant to respond to Del.

Deliveranze

22. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Ghost You read my mind. I was actually gonna make a thread on this or at least mention it. :p Kudos. This is an interesting topic.

@{Quantum/MIDI} Good point. I think what I meant by "too dark" is more to what you stated. The child killing is done by someone, who at that point, we aren't suppose to sympathize with, but since Obi-Wan and Padme are both our main protagonists at that point, having her try to murder him comes off as weak. Like, her character is built upon optimism and strong dedication to what she believes in and her trying to kill the man who she cares for is, like you said, "stupid" and absurdly too much.

23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Wow! I did not know this..

It is!!

She should of used sand instead.. Would of been more effective.. :p

24. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Why couldn't she side with Anakin to overthrow Palpatine together like Anakin has been planned?

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, that's probably the main reason why, and I support the change for this reason.

Though I just had some fun imagining this in an alternate ROTS:
    -more focus on Padme actively gathering allies for the Rebellion (she was passive even in those deleted scenes)
    -maybe she's with Bail when he goes to check on the Jedi Temple (maybe she's even the one bringing him along)... and that's when she discovers the truth
    -she listens to Anakin tell her he's going to Mustafar... but this time they're both lying to each other
    -maybe there's an actual battle on Mustafar this time, so it takes a little while
    -Padme goes and asks C-3PO to bring her "madeupnameon" and he asks why since it can cause her to miscarriage, and she just says do it
    -Padme is with Bail to pick-up Yoda from the Senate (maybe Obi-wan went with Yoda to double-team Sidious)... and they immediately go to Dagobah
    -cut back to Mustafar, Padme appears after battle ends, the knife scene happens, she backs down, Anakin yells why
    -Padme says the Anakin she knows is dead, and she's already started a Rebellion to take-down the Empire... Anakin yells "traitor!" at her, says he did it all for her to save her in childbirth... Padme "reveals" she took "madeupnameon" and miscarried. Padme: "your son never lived... you will never be a father."
    -that's when Anakin freaks, kills Padme, Obi-wan appears
    -Obi-wan returns to Dagobah... Bail Organa is leaving, with the droids, and a mysterious package (aka Leia's cradle) he's carrying, says he will continue Padme's rebellion with the others, and he says goodbye to Obi-wan and thanks him for his service, and Obi-wan says he'll be on Tatooine if the rebellion is ever in dire need
    -Yoda then reveals Luke (revealing to audience that Padme lied to Anakin to protect her child/ren), and asks Obi-wan to take him to Tatooine (and it also preserves the Leia surprise)

Deliveranze likes this.