main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT In original ROTS draft, Padme tried to stab Anakin in neck with knife on Mustafar!?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, May 12, 2017.

1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Padme knew better than anyone how the loss of his mother affected him.

This makes her abandonment of her children while physically fit to survive and raise them, according to the medics, even more incongruous.

It also makes nonsense of her expressed insight into Anakin's inherent goodness. Wouldn't that hope be something to hold on to and see you through if your life was in danger?Padme's life wasn't even in danger.

What could have caused her to lose the will to live? Was she just ashamed and didn't want to face being known as the wife of the traitor to the Jedi and to democracy, in spite of her feelings about him being redeemable?

2. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    It's possible. I mean, if I were married to a woman who helped tear down a democracy I fought so hard to preserve and my enemies pegged me as Public Enemy #1 just because I was married to her, I'd probably want to lose the will to live myself.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  3. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    No, she just decided, "It's all my fault. Everyone is better off without me, including my kids. You take it from here." The movie says it plainly; she lost the will to live. And after going through all that tragedy in the space of a few days, with no time to adjust, and nothing but misery on the horizon, it's understandable. She didn't kill herself; she just gave up on living.

Well, the man she sponsored to run the galaxy turns out to be an evil dictator. The government she supported has been destroyed. The Jedi she trusted are either dead or on the run. The man she loves has committed murder and, smiling, said he did it all for her. And when she dared to disagree with him, he actually attacked her. Her kids and her family are sure to be under threat, and she's sure to be targeted. And it all happened over a few days, with no chance to adjust or ride it out. She's like Job, but without the faith in God to go on. Ani's still has good in him, but she can no longer bring it out.

4. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    But not lose all will except to live long enough to profess your unshaken faith in that person who's actions are supposed to have removed that will. That makes no sense.

She already saw the end of democracy in the senate hearing. She didn't seem suicidal. Just disappointed and annoyed.

When Obi Wan informs her that the chancellor had engineered everything she does not react to the political implications. She simply denies that Anakin could also be involved in any way. And then she goes to Mustafar to check that he's safe and to suggest running away from everything and helping her raise their child.

Anakin attacked her because he believed that she had betrayed him to Obi Wan. Not because of a disagreement.

What is the equivalent of Job's faith in God? The thing she has any stated faith in is Anakin and dies proclaiming it.

She believes in fighting for democracy only to an extent because she realises that endless struggle will only continue to undermine it. But the end of liberty does not affect her will to live. Her will to live only becomes an issue after Anakin has strangled her (although not fatally), even though she claims to still believe in him.

5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Instead of being more determined than ever to fight. For her children & for the galaxy's freedom. Hell she even declared that she still believes in Anakin! She had everything to live for. In that moment, seeing her vulnerable newborn children she should've had more will to live than at any other time in her life.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't get the sense that she decided it was her fault, or that she thought everyone was better off without her, and I don't think losing the will to live says that in this situation. It says something, but not that.

7. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    If it doesn't say that, it also doesn't say that she lost faith in Anakin, because she proclaims not to have lost that faith with her dying breaths.

And it doesn't say she was broken by the failure of democracy, because that had happened some time before and all she gave up was a cynical retort.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Yeah, but remember how that film ended?

[​IMG]

He knocked her the **** out.

Anyway, I took it that Padme's dying words were a last minute epiphany. Too late to stop her from dying, but enough for her to surprise Obi-wan.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  9. OneTrueOverlord

OneTrueOverlord Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm surprised no-one's said this but

"Knives can't save you Padme, only my new powers can!"

10. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    This would have been awesome. Between cutting out the rebellion subplot, and this moment, Padme is only given a significant assertive moment when she tells Vader to leave behind what he has done. Padme had a lot to do in TPM and AOTC, so it's a shame she was sidelined in ROTS.

Martoto77 likes this.
  11. fastcooljosh

fastcooljosh Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2017
    Thoughts on Ian McCaig last line ?
    Sounds really disrespectful, like he hates the movie. lol

12. ManlyEwok

ManlyEwok Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    I read a fan theory (or maybe it was a Youtube video) that the Emperor actually siphoned the life from Padme and gave it to Anakin...I'll see if I can find the video...it's kind of an interesting theory and makes her death a little more plausible...

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's just for people who didn't like what Lucas did. It's the same way in the EU, there was an alternative explanation that was given for how she died in "The Coruscant Nights" Trilogy.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It basically boiled down to "Droids didn't recognize the damage done by Force Choke, which was enough to eventually kill her". Hence their blaming "will to live".

15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    what was that explanation ?

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Something like a piece of bone in her throat area had broken and got caught in her throat. Or some such.

gezvader28 likes this.
  17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    :rolleyes: As if expert medical droids with high tech equipment wouldn't detect that. Better to stick with GL's wishy-washy explanation. Clearly her will to live meter powered down until she deactivated.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well they also say those droids had never met a human before and didn't understand human biology.

heels1785 likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Coruscant Nights II: Street of Shadows:

There were conflicting reports, of course, but all the autopsy reports were in agreement on two things: that she had been strangled, and that the child had died with her.

But exactly how the former had been accomplished, no-one was quite sure. The evidence of strangulation had been there, and obvious: the fractured hyoid bone, damage to the larynx, and compression of the trachea were all clear indications of fatal throttling.

But...

There were no sighs of bruises on her neck, no scratches or signs of congestion ... no indication of exterior trauma at all. Her throat had been pristine. It was as if she had somehow been choked to death without physical contact.

gezvader28 likes this.
  20. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    So, as I understand it, a mystical energy field that can give certain people the power to see the future, levitate objects and effectively use swords with blades made of energy is perfectly acceptable. The idea of a secret conspiracy of near-sorcerers who tap into powers spawned by anger and hatred, one of whose number can manipulate single-celled organisms to create a living being through sheer force of will, and another of whose number can all-but-singlehandedly manipulate an entire galactic government into granting him extensive political power and then transforming said government into a massive dictatorship basically run through his own willpower is perfectly acceptable. But a woman being hit with multiple tragedies over a matter of days and feeling mistakenly responsible for said tragedies and losing the will to go on with her life is not.

Is that about right?

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Pretty much. Apparently people have a BS limit.

22. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    A lot of detractors seem to think Padme willfully lost the will to live and let herself die. But they do not seem to acknowledge that it was not her decision. She did not choose to give up and die. Vader had fatally spirituality injured her with what he has done and what he had planned to do. Padme's death is a recycle from a early version of ANH where Vader kills Luke's brother though spiritual injuries. C3PO tries to render aid but can't stating that such injuries counter logic and science. That all droids including expert medical droids can only understand the logical and can't understand spiritual matters. The medical droids simply did not fully understand what was happening. Anakin became a monster to save Padme, which is what killed her.

23. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I'd sincerely doubt Padme would've died if Anakin didn't choke her. That was definitely the catalyst.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Spritual injuries?? Padme lost the will to live. That's what we're told in the movie. It's what Lucas wrote in the script.

25. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    To be fair though, they probably don't really get how she died of a broken heart. Considering that IRL, when people die of 'broken hearts', the physical symptoms look like an actual heart attack/stroke so you'd think the medical droids would've detected that as the issue and deduced she was dying of that. Even if Obi-Wan and Yoda disagreed, the medical droids would've had that as the conclusion, and the detractors probably would have had a better time accepting it. As we have it now, Padmé is medically healthy, yet...she dies. Somehow. Because of plot.

I hate to bring up bad memories, but look what happened to Carrie Fisher's mom. She died of a stroke a day after Carrie died. The grief was probably so much that her heart just couldn't take it. Same thing probably happened with Padmé.

And there was that whole thing of Leia being able to remember her birth mother, yet we see the literally few minutes old Leia onscreen. Do you remember anything that happened five minutes after you were born? Your earliest memories are probably from when you were a toddler, if that.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.