main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga In Remembrance (Post-TPM fanfic, friendship/drama, Plo Koon)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by koonfan, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Well, I think this is my first proper attempt at posting a fanfiction. Hope you enjoy. XD

Synopsis: After Qui-Gon Jinn?s tragic death, arrangements are made for his Jedi funeral. One Jedi Master is called upon to eulogise an old friend, one who knew him better than most?

+++++++++++++++++++++
    -Shortly after the battle of Naboo?-
    Pain. Heart rending pain. The moment Qui-Gon Jinn was struck down, Plo Koon could feel his death in the Force, even all the way back on Coruscant. True, Jinn had been one of the order?s greatest masters. Almost every Master and Knight would notice this wound in the Living Force.

But with Plo Koon, it was different. Qui-Gon, more than any the others in the order, was his friend. His partner. One with whom he shared a Concordance of Fealty, of mutual learning and mentorship. He was practically his brother. From the moment they met as younglings, an older Jinn helping to guide young Plo Koon, an unbreakable bond was forged.
    The Kel Dorian master sat in the meditation chambers cross-legged, meditating on this. The council had already arranged for the proper ceremonies. The funeral and the victory celebration were prepared. It was in this time that he would try to come to terms with the loss. No matter how painful, Qui-Gon was one with the Force, and attachment was not the Jedi way.

The councillor with a permanent seat played that credo over and over in his head, reminding himself of what he should do. He?d done it before, after all. Tyvokka, Tahl, Micah Giett, he had been able to let go of a father, a sister and a brother.
    But it was difficult. So very difficult. Qui-Gon was more than a good friend. He was one you could exchange witty banter with, spar with, learn from. He had always been there for Plo whenever the going got tough, such was his compassion.

Loss. Sadness. Guilt. Anger. Loss of his best friend led to sadness. Guilt followed when he inevitably thought he could have somehow prevented this. Anger at the Sith and himself was swiftly buried, to be snuffed out. This was as much a personal quest as it was a spiritual one. Jinn?s death had dramatically affected Plo?s perception of the Living Force, and that, in turn, was affecting his thoughts.
    Plo sighed and got up. This wasn?t working. He knew what he had to do, what he should do. But it never seemed nearly as impossible as right now. He would have to find another time.
    It should have been me?If Qui-Gon had lived?

-The Jedi Temple, shortly before Qui-Gon?s departure?-
    ?Koh-to-ya, Master Plo.? Qui-Gon greeted with a bow and a smile.
    Plo Koon returned the bow, the edges of his masks lightly upturned. A sign, to the trained eye, that the Kel Dorian was happy.
    ?Koh-to-ya, Master Jinn. And to you, young Skywalker.?

Things had been busy as of late. With the Naboo crisis, Qui-Gon wasn?t left with much breathing space to reconnect with old friends. He, along with his padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi, had to deal with the matter at hand.
    Qui-Gon grasped Plo?s hands firmly and shook them with a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye.
    ?It?s been far too long, old friend. I?m sorry that we couldn?t meet under more candid circumstances, but?well, you know what matters brought me here.?
    Plo Koon chuckled, his deep Kel Dorian voice lowly expressing happiness.
    ?Do not worry about what cannot be helped, Qui-Gon. Naboo needs you.?

The two old friends shared a moment of silence, knowing through years of experience that this was the correct course of events. Qui-Gon turned to his young charge, the little boy from Tatooine, and gestured to Plo Koon.
    ?Anakin, this is Master Plo Koon. He is one of my oldest friends, and a very powerful Jedi. Should you have any further questions about the order, you can always ask him.?
    The young boy whimpered slightly, intimidated by the largely alien look of Plo Koon. The ridge of his head, the mask, the goggles?it made him seem expressionless. The alien laughed, beckoning to Anakin and kneeling down.
    ?Don?t worry, young one. I don?t bite.? Plo joked warmly, extending a hand.

Anakin stepped forward uncert

2. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was wonderful!

Its nice to see a character not featured much in the movies be the focus of a story.

I'm glad to know the Order is allowing Qui's good friend to eulogize him - that is so very fitting.

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

3. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Wow! Thanks! Glad you liked it, Kelia! Yes, as my name gives away, I am an unabashed Plo Koon fan and have come up with various theories and personal interpretations of him, topmost of which is the friendship with Qui-Gon. XD

And yeah, I figured that however traditional the council could get, it was still made up of Jedi through and through, and they'd do their best to honour one of their own, especially Qui-Gon. :D

Admittedly, this might only go on for another chapter or two, but I hope to make it worthwhile! [face_peace]

4. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    =D= Great start! I never really thought about Plo Koon's relationship to Qui-Gon, and I'm very interested in seeing how the next chapter(s) play out.

5. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Thansk for your kind words, TheMacUnleashed! Glad you liked it! Sorry for the late reply, but I was busy with some stuff, and working on this, too. XD

Here, we'll see I'm jumping around the timeline a bit. In the Lightsaber Duels game, Anakin thanks Plo for somehow playing a part in his inclusion into the order. I'm using that as the basis for most of this chapter. Admittedly, this one isn't so intimate, as it's pretty much the council members talking, but I tried to inject a sense of individuality and some small suspense. Hope you enjoy it!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    -Jedi Council Chamber, after the battle of Naboo?-
    Mace Windu spoke first, the dark-skinned Korunnai human leading the discussion in measured, well-thought out words.
    ?This meeting begins now. We shall discuss what to do with the case of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker.?

There was a moment of silence as they looked at one another, contemplating their stances. Plo normally remained quiet in these meetings, only giving input when he felt it would be valued or when it was asked of him. Like Qui-Gon, he preferred personally interacting with the galaxy rather than deliberations in the council chamber.

However, this time, he had plenty to say. The Kel Dorian leaned forward, unclasping his normally held-together hands. As he spoke, his naturally deep and resonant voice filled the room.
    ?It?s clear that Obi-Wan faced a Sith warrior, and if not one, then certainly something powerful in the dark side of the Force. To defeat it was no small task. Given the nature of these events, I believe that we should make him a Jedi Knight.?

Master Yarael Poof tilted his head downwards ever so slightly, his somewhat bone-white long neck weaving a bit. The incredibly wise Quermian master raised a hand.
    ?Master Plo would be correct. All things considered, padawan Kenobi has faced both the trial of the flesh and the trial of skill in this matter.?

Short, balding and grumpy Lannik master Even Piell furrowed his brows, narrowing his one good eye as he looked all around. He spoke in a raspy, muttering and harsh voice which was typically used to discipline unruly learners.
    ?I would venture a guess that we are no more conflicted on the matter of Obi-Wan Kenobi than a spice trader would be about selling his products at greater prices than he should. What we need to discuss is the matter of the boy.?

The councillors looked to one another, murmuring to the people closest to them. A wave of agreement followed shortly. Mace Windu nodded and continued.
    ?Those in favour of knighting Obi-Wan Kenobi??
    Most of the room raised their hands. It was a clear vote.
    ?Very well. Now to discuss the matter of Anakin Skywalker. As things stand, Master Jinn brought the boy in to be tested. He is, quite potentially, the most gifted being we have ever seen, which is something to consider. On the other hand, he is too old, too attached to his home, to properly learn the Jedi ways.?

Four of them felt things from a position of compassion. Two spoke from personal experience. Three were thinking from an angle of tradition or how it would affect the Order as a whole. And Mace Windu and Yoda?they were unreadable as always, even to a telepath experienced at reading ambient feelings. They?d commented on their misgivings before, of course, but even now, Plo couldn?t tell how Qui-Gon?s death and final wishes influenced them, if at all.

Yoda ?hmm?d a bit before he spoke, like most sentients tended to do.
    ?Ask ourselves, we must: Prepared, are we, to go against tradition, and to train Anakin Skywalker, as Qui-Gon requested? The risk, do we dare take??
    That was the essential question. Plo knew that there were other issues within it to be considered, like the boy?s feelings or where he would go if he wasn?t accepted, but Plo already made up his mind. Still, like most matters, it was still left to a vote. The discussion in-between, however, could be crucial.

Yoda shook his head.
    ?Grave misgivings, I have, if trained the boy is. At length have I spoken on this matter. Too dangerou

6. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    =D= Good job on this chapter! I thought that the dialogue revealed a lot about the individual Council members. I look forwards to seeing what Plo Koon will have to say about Qui-Gon.

7. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Thanks again, TheMacUnleashed! Glad you liked it, even if it was slower-paced!

Something interesting I noticed: Eeth Koth got the least characterisation out of all of them. When you think about it, it's exactly the same as his real situation.

And when you look even further, you can see that Eeth Koth got so little development, but his 'replacement' Agen Kolar got quite a bit of attention or at least publicity.

Meanwhile, the other 'replaced' Council member, Adi Gallia, is actually one of the old councillors with the most attention (appeared in two videogames and had a good role in prequel comics) given to her, yet her replacement, Stass Allie, is one of the least developed 'new' Jedi Council members.

Interesting, isn't it? Thank goodness that Plo Koon is long-lasting. XD

8. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008

Ha, good points!

Loving the fic, great job; you created twelve distinct personalities for the Council members and managed to juggle them successfully. Good stuff.

9. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Well, it's been awhile! Just wanted to assure everyone that I'm still alive! Sorry for the lack of attention for this fic, I AM a lazy little nerf herder after all...Still, so as not to waste your time, here's whatever I had stewing in my mind for awhile!

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    -Naboo, Theed, the site of Qui-Gon's funeral...-
    Plo Koon stood at the head of the mourners gathered there in the large chamber.
    In one group, the Jedi Council gathered. A mix of contemplation and grief was etched upon their various faces.
    In another group, the important rulers and officials of Naboo, including the very ones Qui-Gon had served recently. Although they scarcely knew him as well as the Jedi, they all felt a degree of grief for the fallen protector and warrior.
    Also present was Qui-Gon's padawan (now a Knight), who was probably feeling the deepest loss, alongside the boy Qui-Gon believed in. Anakin Skywalker. The boy must have felt a strong bond and sense of compassion, because by all accounts his grief was next only to Obi-Wan's.

Gazing upon the hushed masses, Plo Koon stood up to his full height and spoke the opening greetings.

"Members of the council. Honoured rulers of the Naboo. And of course, Obi-Wan and Skywalker. I am glad you are all here this evening. Today, we honour the passing of Qui-Gon Jinn, and mourn the loss we all feel. In remembering how and why he died, we keep alive the memory he left in our hearts. In doing so, we honour him.

"Qui-Gon Jinn fell in the battle to free Naboo from the grip of the Trade Federation. He was struck down by a mysterious warrior, giving his life for the freedom of billions. He had trained three padawans, the most recent being his best and brightest student, Obi-Wan Kenobi, also gathered here.

"Some of you may not know me. I am Jedi Master Plo Koon, of the council. I was Qui-Gon's fellow learner, and I hold the honour of being one of his oldest friends. For this, I was called to speak on his behalf.
    "Yet whatever advantage I may have in years, I know for a fact that those years are meaningless. Whenever Qui-Gon touched a life, it was never a question of time. Each and every sentient being he helped felt the full depth of his compassion, and the absolute clarity of his wisdom and vision. It is this mark that he left upon me, and it is this same mark that I see upon the faces and hearts of each and everyone gathered here."

A sense of remorse filled Plo Koon as he remembered his friend. However, he had the strength to go on. Everything that he needed to say would be said.

"I will be honest. Qui-Gon was a maverick. He did not always agree with the council, and often butted heads with our judgements. He was certainly an unorthodox Jedi, some might say peculiar. However, did that make him a bad Jedi? Far from it.

"Qui-Gon Jinn always lived in the moment, concentrating on the problems at hand. From his earliest days, his defining traits were his unorthodox approach to life and his overwhelming compassion for others. He followed his own philosophy of the Living Force, one that was vibrant and alive. It should be no surprise that this lead him all over the galaxy, interacting and bonding with the very essence of life itself. He helped the poor, the downtrodden, the oppressed. He was not one to sit and contemplate the mysteries of the universe while innocents were suffering. This, I believe, was what led him to all of you.

"He showed wisdom far beyond his years, and he never judged someone based on their looks or species, but by their actions. I should know. Growing up as a Kel Dor, friends are hard to come by, yet it was he that approached me. No matter who it was, he always held them as equals. Naboo, Gungan, Kel Dor, Wookiee...None of that mattered. All that matters was that he would help anyone that needed it. He would offer wisdom to anyone freely, without expecting anything in return. To him, all life had value.

"Some may think that these are simply common Jedi virtues, and in a sense, they might be correct. Jedi are taught to conduct themselves with dignity, honour a

10. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    =D=Good conclusion! I loved Plo Koon's closing speech, especially the "There is no death, there is the Force" part. I would say you managed to wrap everything up in a satisfactory manner- although the Boards could always use more Koon-fic... :D

11. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Thanks, TheMacUnleashed! Glad you liked it! Truth be told, the closing lines came from comics. One of them came from Mace Windu eulogising a Jedi general, and another came from Adi Gallia during the Stark Hyperspace Wars. Still, they were great lines so I decided to use 'em. :p

And yes. More Koon-fic. This forum deserves a different class of koon-fic....and I'm gonna give it to 'em. [face_laugh]

Presently, the ideas I've got would be...
    -A Plo Koon and Ahsoka story, though which time period remains ambiguous to me
    -Plo Koon interacting with Dooku at some point. Again, time period continues to elude me
    -And then we've got Obi-Wan and Anakin. :p
    -I always imagined that when he wasn't doing field-work, Plo Koon was a sort of combat instructor in the Jedi Temple, so I was considering having him guide and instruct characters in some of their trademark fighting styles

What do you guys think? :D

12. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    By Plo Koon and Ahsoka do you mean in a pairing? Because I think if people can write Anakin and Ahsoka, than others should write PloKa. :p

13. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Now that WOULD be intriguing, if slightly creepy, but no. Not what I had in mind. :p
    I always imagined that while their involvement can't be too deep so as to avoid attachment, I always figured Plo Koon was always just sort of there, ready to advise and support Ahsoka while she was a youngling, like a helpful uncle.

Also, I believe he is the one who taught her the reverse-grip. Nothing short of an official explanation can make me believe otherwise. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.