main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends In Shadows and Darkness -o0**COMPLETE! **0o- (L/M, H/L, Vader, Palpatine, Action/Drama)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by blank101, Jun 12, 2009.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Luke, Mara and Vader together ... awesome leadership --

[face_dancing]

Luke and Mara -- rulers and lovers --

Yummy tummy!
    [face_dancing]

2. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    ?Mara paused for long seconds; she?d been on the very edge of shouting at him, indignant at the accusation?but wasn?t it true?

Luke sighed, voice tired and quiet. ?What the hell are we doing? Who do we think we?re fooling??

?Not each other, apparently.? Still smarting from the near-break-up just a few weeks ago, Mara wasn?t looking for a fight. ?Actually I was just reflecting that your answer was good enough for me.??

I love how Mara?s getting wiser here. Who would have thought? ;)

And Luke?s ?slip?? Awww!![face_blush]

One stupid question? Would there ever be any music in that Music Room they walk through so often?[face_hypnotized] I know Luke went through an extensive eduction by Paly but was cithara playing included? [face_batting] And I can't exactly sitting and listening to a string quartetto in contemplative peace? [face_whistling]

?Could he trust her? Should he? The Force was like a wind at his back, pushing him on...

So why did he hesitate?

Do it...

?You keep on telling me you want me to trust you, you want me to let you in...well, now you?re in.?

?This isn?t what I meant.?

?No. You wanted a convenient, comfortable trouble-free truth. You wanted your truth, your way. But it?s not mine and it never was?I never made any secret of that, Mara. You want me, you want me to trust you? You want to step forward through that barrier? Well this is it, Mara...it?s now or never.? ?

The moment of truth, perfectly condensed, and I can?t help thinking that Mara?s mistakes which on this story?s level become so huge, could be anybody?s mistake in an ordinary life ? don?t we all want things that turn out to be impossible just beause the people around us are who they are? =D=

?He could have lied to her and she would have believed him. And even if she didn?t, he could have charmed and cajoled her as he always did. Why this? Why admit the truth when he knew it could damn him?and to Mara, who had never hesitated to make her allegiance known. ?
    And of course when truth comes out she wishes the lies had went on ? so human, so poignant!
    And now Mara?s facing her purgatory?[face_skull]

3. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    I keep vowing not to fall behind here, then I do and miss favorite parts. Phooey. But I shall get comments for the last chapter done, at least. [face_determined]

?Stop watching me,? he'd murmured quietly without opening his eyes.

Mara had loosed a smile into the darkness. ?I?m not,? she?d said. ?I?m looking in your general direction.?

?Well then look in some other general direction.?

?I like this one,? she'd maintained gamely.

You know, I can't even really articulate why I like this bit so much, but I always have. Maybe because it seems so ordinary and normal, when their situation is anything but.

Luke sighed, voice tired and quiet. ?What the hell are we doing? Who do we think we?re fooling??

?Not each other, apparently.? Still smarting from the near-break-up just a few weeks ago, Mara wasn?t looking for a fight. ?Actually I was just reflecting that your answer was good enough for me.?

He turned, words and tone indulgent, laced with mock belief. ?Really? ?Cos now I?m completely persuaded of your good intentions.?

Mara smiled, draping her arms about him where he sat. ?Come to bed, pushover.?

This, too. I know Luke tells Mara that she lied to herself and he only let her, but he lied to himself just as much as she did. Each of them knew perfectly well the dangers of this relationship; they just didn't want to fully face that reality. [face_thinking]

?Someone once told me that I could only destroy that which I loved.?

Mara froze, green eyes wide, and the burst of shocked elation which radiated out from her brought Luke?s own eyes up in surprise as she repeated his word...

?...Love??

Luke frowned... Value?his father had said value. It was he who had said...

Should he be elated or terrified? Or both?

Simply gorgeous. I swear, I have read literally hundreds of fanfics in the last eight years - more than a thousand, I'm quite sure. Precious few of those have managed the romantic pacing as well as this trilogy does. I'm amazed by this balancing act all over again every time I come back to these stories.

When she woke four hours later with a jolt, all those memories had seeped away into the cold dark of night, leaving only an eerie emptiness, a silence profound as the depths of space and for an instant?just a fragment of a second?she thought she had heard it even here? The howl of the wolf from her dreams.

I love that Leia catches this, too.

Then...like the galaxy realigning, like reality ripping and shifting, there was a stretched second of altered perceptions which pulled his senses wire-taut. He tensed against the wave of nausea and disorientation which ripped through him, until the chaotic upheaval slowly ebbed and reality seeped back in, stabilizing like ripples calming as equilibrium restored? And nothing and everything had changed.

It took a second for him to acclimatize to the shift, remaining perfectly still and holding feather-light contact with the Force but somehow skipping off its presence as he tried to chase down the nebulous feeling...

But the moment passed, nothing left but the hollow trace of formless imprints which melted to nothing, insubstantial as ghosts in the night.

And here's another area where I remain in awe of your skill: any and all descriptions of the Force and how Force-sensitives perceive it. The detail and vividness are astounding.

Uneasy, he turned over, hand to Mara?s shoulder. ?Up. Get up.?

She stirred again, eyes not yet open. ?Mmm??

?Mara?wake up.?

This time she opened her eyes, voice and sense instantly awake, remembering where she was, of the danger they were both in simply by being together here. ?What?s wrong??

?Something just happened?did you sense it??

Ha, they are getting complacent. I love that Luke assumes so easily that Mara would have sensed it.

But it was still there, the connection which he had once strived so hard to achieve now as natural as breathing. And every single fiber of his being told him that knowledge was being barred; that the Force itself withheld acuity?

But it didn?t work like that?n

4. blank101

blank101 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 20, 2008

TnTornado

""good grief ... now THAT was an update! AND a cliffhanger!!!!""

LOL!:p

""So much happened in this update its hard to take it in - with Mara finding out so much (and yet so little) about Luke's hidden business, and then finally making her decision, I think it comes down to how good can Palpatine read her? If he can still read just about everything about her, then they are both screwed, but if Luke has managed to help her enough, then they just might make it through a while longer.""

Yep, it comes down to just that - how well can he read her...and manipulate that reading to his own advantage o_O

""The nebulous event that both Luke, Vader, Mara(somewhat) and presumably the emperor have sensed still hangs out there without any explanation, and I tend to think it will be a game changer when we finally find out about it. Makes me wonder if anything from EU far future is being brought in early.""

Ah, that nebulous event has happened already...now it's just about to to snowball. Remember Luke's thoughts on it: "... looping back in a continuous coil of cause and effect, its consequences stretching as far as he could see, though right now it was still so small as to be insignificant, so mundane as to be overlooked, forgotten."
    That's a huge clue... ;)
    Or "... something hadn?t happened. It was about to happen; was happening right now, events tumbling forward like an avalanche gathering momentum, the mere fact that it was coming sufficient to send that shockwave sheeting through the Force. Something...some elusive twist within it, originated here in the Palace, radiating outwards and trailing sweeping tendrils of cause and effect, some already in motion, others yet to fulfill."

Got it yet? [face_thinking] ;)

The-Solo-Smirk

""Hope that your heated socks are helping in this weather!""

LOL! They are hopelessly inadequate! [face_laugh]

""The update was awesome, blank! Exciting and good thing that Mara knows the truth about Luke's wheelings and dealings now...I fear for her, though...""

Glad you liked it. Thought I'd give you a bit of a cliffhanger for Christmas ;)

-----Nathan walked in, performing his customary neat bow before looking up to glance from man to man, as yet blissfully unaware of the morning?s events. ?What?have I missed something??

""Gotta love Nathan!""

Heh,heh,heh :p [face_peace]

-----Mara practically burst out onto the massive granite landing platform seconds later and Luke turned to face her, knowing instantly that something was very wrong ... Luke strode quickly out to grab her by the top of her arm, yanking Mara in with enough force to shock her into momentary silence as he hauled her roughly back behind the shuttle, where he knew the all-pervasive surveillance wouldn?t have a clear line of sight.

""Loved this scene! They should erase the security tapes, though...unless they want the whole court to know whats going on between them!!!""

Funny you should mention that....

----- ?I have double standards!? You?re disobeying a direct order from the Emperor?a fundamental command.?

""One of the best scenes that you have ever written! I swear! Best monologue ever!!!""

Really? Wow, thanks! Glad you enjoyed it so much! Maybe it was where it was in the story...a lot riding on it?

-----Was this how Luke faced the Emperor; every summons, every meeting, heart pumping, hands trembling, anxious and fearful that somehow Palpatine imagined, he suspected, he knew ... Already she feared that she would slip, she?d crack, concede...

-----Already she feared she?d crumble.

""*fear* Oh God! Can't wait for the update, the Palpy/Mara encounter that is!""

Heh,heh - coming up! [face_peace]

Jade_eyes

""Amazing. Quite the literal turning point.

Mara's drawn the line and she and Luke are on one side of it--

5. blank101

Nov 20, 2008
    kataja

------Mara paused for long seconds; she?d been on the very edge of shouting at him, indignant at the accusation?but wasn?t it true?
    ------Luke sighed, voice tired and quiet. ?What the hell are we doing? Who do we think we?re fooling??
    ------?Not each other, apparently.? Still smarting from the near-break-up just a few weeks ago, Mara wasn?t looking for a fight. ?Actually I was just reflecting that your answer was good enough for me.??

""I love how Mara?s getting wiser here. Who would have thought?

And Luke?s ?slip?? Awww!!""

Heh,heh - y'old softie! ;)

""One stupid question? Would there ever be any music in that Music Room they walk through so often? I know Luke went through an extensive eduction by Paly but was cithara playing included? And I can't exactly sitting and listening to a string quartetto in contemplative peace?""

LOL! No, neither can I! :p I always kinda figured it's yet another room in the massive Perlemian Apartments that Luke's never once used. Even if he had the time, I don't think Luke would ever have had the inclination. But then we're back to Palpy's concept of wealth and power when creating his Palace: what matters is not that you use these things, but that you have them.... o_O [face_mischief]

-------Could he trust her? Should he? The Force was like a wind at his back, pushing him on ... ?No. You wanted a convenient, comfortable trouble-free truth. You wanted your truth, your way. But it?s not mine and it never was?I never made any secret of that, Mara. You want me, you want me to trust you? You want to step forward through that barrier? Well this is it, Mara...it?s now or never.?-------

""The moment of truth, perfectly condensed, and I can?t help thinking that Mara?s mistakes which on this story?s level become so huge, could be anybody?s mistake in an ordinary life ? don?t we all want things that turn out to be impossible just beause the people around us are who they are?""

I'm so glad they seem like mistakes anyone could make. I was hoping to get that sense of something so minor, which just snowballed beyond anyone's control, as things sometimes do.

------He could have lied to her and she would have believed him. And even if she didn?t, he could have charmed and cajoled her as he always did. Why this? Why admit the truth when he knew it could damn him?and to Mara, who had never hesitated to make her allegiance known.-------

""And of course when truth comes out she wishes the lies had went on ? so human, so poignant!
    And now Mara?s facing her purgatory? ""

Glad you liked :) I was kinda figuring that we've all occasionally thought how much easier it would be to live in ignorance than have to deal with the consequences [face_thinking] Mara's chosen her side at last...and the storm clouds gather....;)

Gabri_Jade

Hey Gabri [face_peace]

""I keep vowing not to fall behind here, then I do and miss favorite parts. Phooey. But I shall get comments for the last chapter done, at least.""

LOL! It's all that betaing you do - eats up your time! ;)

""--------?Stop watching me,? he'd murmured quietly without opening his eyes.
    --------Mara had loosed a smile into the darkness. ?I?m not,? she?d said. ?I?m looking in your general direction.?
    --------?Well then look in some other general direction.?
    --------?I like this one,? she'd maintained gamely.

You know, I can't even really articulate why I like this bit so much, but I always have. Maybe because it seems so ordinary and normal, when their situation is anything but.""

Heh, a little lull before the storm.....

-------Luke sighed, voice tired and quiet. ?What the hell are we doing? Who do we think we?re fooling?? ...
    -------Mara smiled, draping her arms about him where he sat. ?Come to bed, pushover.?

""This, too. I know Luke tells Mara that she lied to herself and he only let her, but he lied

6. blank101

Nov 20, 2008

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Palpatine stood at the far side of the cavernous three-story Receiving Room, the light from the long banks of tall windows dimmed by photovoltaic glass, reducing the massive hall to darkness and shadows. This was not a room for daylight?like all of the Emperor?s chambers it thrived in darkness. The tall stretch of multi-story walls were inset by two columned walkways which further sheltered the shadows, stucco plaster pigmented a rich, radiant claret red, the arched and vaulted ceilings above rendered in relief-carved tracery of glowing golds. Its commanding, stately grandeur engulfed all who entered, and it was not without consideration that Palpatine had chosen it.

The substantial carved doors slid aside and Mara Jade whispered into the hall, her footfalls inaudible though her sense in the Force sounded a heavy tone of profound unease.

His back still to her, gazing out through the muted windows, Palpatine?s thin lips pulled to a pitiless smile at the game ahead. He waited until she was close, neither turning nor acknowledging her reverential bow, but leaving her to stand in uneasy attendance...

When he finally spoke he turned his head just slightly, his face still hidden within the heavy cowl of his raven cloak, his gravelly voice cool but neutral. ?I am...confused. Chancellor Amedda tells me that my Jedi has left for Mosiin...yet you are still here.?

The tension was palpable in Jade?s voice. ?The Heir...forbade me to attend.?

?Forbade you? You act under my decree, lest you forget, Emperor?s Hand. I commanded you to attend him. He is now without a bodyguard...or a watcher.?

Jade hesitated long seconds, and he knew she was gathering her nerve where normally she would have spoken without pause. ?I apologize, master...but he wouldn?t allow me to board?my rank isn?t equal to his...?

?Why??

She wavered, unsure. ?...Master??

?Why would he not allow you to board the shuttle?what had you done??

?We...argued. He told me I was to stay here to consider m...?

?About what??

Mara paused, uncertain; had Palpatine already spoken to Luke? Oh, she could so easily destroy everything without whispering a word about his defiance.

No; Luke had surely played this game too often with the Emperor. If he?d already been quizzed and been forced to give an account, then Luke would have made damn sure Mara knew every point. She?d seen him do it with scrupulous attention to detail so often over the most minor matters in the past?and that must be a fraction of the truth, if he had hidden his meetings with his father for so long. No, this was something else...

The Emperor turned his head a little more, his tone a shade more indulgent. ?A...personal quarrel, perhaps??

The breath went from Mara?s lungs in a silent rush.

Sensing his opening, Palpatine turned, the slightest of smiles on bloodless lips. ?Or did you think that I was unaware??

He set forward, one arm out beside him to usher Jade along as he walked the length of the massive, imposing room. ?I?m disappointed, my child; I thought you knew me better than that.?

Head in a spin, she allowed herself to be guided forward, no words coming to her lips, no thoughts to her mind, such was her alarm.

He shepherded her from the soulless magnificence of the cavernous space to a small waiting room beneath towering columns, its proportions of a more comforting scale, fitting to his line of attack, decided now. From what little they had spoken?from the lack of readable information through the Force when he had asked her directly about the argument?he knew she was hiding something. He could force her to tell him as he had originally intended, could terrorize and intimidate her or simply break the barriers she had placed and take the information by dint of relative strength...but this was so much better.

He owned his Wolf?and nobody else. Skywalker had learned his lessons and trusted very few, so the opportunities to clarify this fact were far between these days, but occasionally i

7. LittleMissNightsaber

LittleMissNightsaber Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2009
    And that was too much to tolerate.
    Someone had to answer for that. I'm guessing who is.
    Great update as usual. With a cliffhangar.

8. Ocelotl_Nesto

Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    Mara did betray Luke!

But how quickly will Luke arrive? I dont think it will be soon enough to save his dad. It looks like Vader is being selfless and selfish all at once.

Great story!

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow, blank. Wow. From first word to last. I didn't see any of that coming :p Brilliant brilliant plotting. =D=

10. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    That was stunning (and so unexpected!) :eek:=D= Brilliant! You've really got an amazing story going here. @};- I wonder if Luke will be able to get there in time. [face_worried] Can't wait to read more!! =D=[face_dancing] [:D]

11. The-Solo-Smirk

The-Solo-Smirk Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 27, 2008
    I have a couple of questions concerning this weeks chapter:

1) Why was Mara so weak in comparison to Palpy when it comes to blocking his access to her mind?

2) Why are you (and I think that this is truly your intention) preparing for a second part showdown that ends with Vader's death? - how dare you!

3) Will Palpy be successful in preventing this vision of his demise from happening?

4) Why do I have a feeling that Luke will be too late trying to save his father?

12. TnTornado

TnTornado Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2006
    Goodness Gracious what an update!!!

So Mara actually betrayed him. I was hoping against hope that she would be able to stay strong, but in the end 20+ years of brainwashing does have an effect.

Palpatine put it together and acted, interesting to see Vader bring the past, into it with Obi-Wans last words.

Now to see what happens when Luke puts it together - how does he react not only to Palpatine but to Mara as well.

13. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I hope Luke makes it in time and if not makes you wonder how he will react. Maybe with Palpatines head on a platter. Please don't kill Vader [face_praying] [face_not_talking]

14. kataja

May 4, 2007
    As always, I?m breathless by your skill. This could so easily have been a chapter about Mara betraying or not betraying Luke, about the Empreror realizing it or not.

But it becomes a chapter about the power and will of the Force, about Palpatine?s unrestrained ego and greed for souls and power, about the tragic fate of a helpless child who grew to a woman that thought she could control her own weakness, about masterful deceit and manipulation, about bloodties and recognition, about atonement and sacrifice.

And then the complete silence ? in the Palace as in the text ? Mara in agony, Palpatine lost in thought, Vader in his memories and desicions?

--- and then the clash...

Brilliant!!![:D]

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    TSS comes up with stellar questions. I was too shocked by the sudden pin-stuck-in-balloon performance that Mara suddenly took on -- strong like no one's business and then suddenly wimpsville? o_O Just so Luke can really become a mega-Darth since that was probably the whole intent all along -- make him into someone worse than Palpatine. :p

16. kataja

May 4, 2007

I believe the old greeks called it an Achilles' heel. Happened to me the other day.:p But sorry, no details...[face_whistling]

17. blank101

Nov 20, 2008

LittleMissNightsaber

Hi!:D

-------And that was too much to tolerate.-------
    ""Someone had to answer for that. I'm guessing who is.
    Great update as usual. With a cliffhangar.""

Heh, glad you liked. Yeah, tried a little cliffie there ;) Next chapter, all hell explodes....

Ocelotl_Nesto

Helloo! [face_peace]

""Mara did betray Luke!""

She did! but for all the right reasons, in her mind. To Luke, it would be a betrayal--to Mara, it would be
    damage control...and I'm pretty damn sure Palpy could be a very persuasive man when he has to be - and manipulation is his specialty.

There's also greater things at play here, with individuals aware of such things feeling that they are being pushed and pulled by the Force - that it's withholding knowledge and spurring on... With everything finally coming to a nexus, destiny and prophesy are coming into play. Palpatine once said to Luke that even a Jedi must bow to the will of the Force, yet Master Yoda said that a Force-sensitive could change the fates, like a stone in the path of a river. The question is, what's fixed and what fluid? Palpatine believes he knows, guided by his ownvisions. Vader believes he can change it, if not for himself then for his son, and Luke no longer cares. Al of those things are what now hang in the balance, waiting to be decided.

Sorry - long answer there! :p

""But how quickly will Luke arrive? I dont think it will be soon enough to save his dad. It looks like Vader is being selfless and selfish all at once.""

And isn't that so like him?o_O Even at his best, I like it when Vader's more than a tad ambiguous[face_mischief]

""Great story!""

Thank you! [face_blush] More soon :)

Jade_eyes

Hi:D

""Wow, blank. Wow. From first word to last. I didn't see any of that coming Brilliant brilliant plotting.""

Oh, I'm so glad it was a surprise! I always try to drop little hints all over but keep the whole picture obscured, so it's good to know that balance worked :D :D

dancing_star

Hiya! [face_peace]

""That was stunning (and so unexpected!) Brilliant! You've really got an amazing story going here. I wonder if Luke will be able to get there in time.""

Glad you're enjoying it:) Yep, only two chapters to go and things are (hopefully?!) hotting up.

""Can't wait to read more!!""

Always good to hear!:D More soon![face_peace]

The-Solo-Smirk

Hi :)

""I have a couple of questions concerning this weeks chapter:

1) Why was Mara so weak in comparison to Palpy when it comes to blocking his access to her mind?

2) Why are you (and I think that this is truly your intention) preparing for a second part showdown that ends with Vader's death? - how dare you!

3) Will Palpy be successful in preventing this vision of his demise from happening?

4) Why do I have a feeling that Luke will be too late trying to save his father?""

Okay, well, (and I guess this is for Jade Eyes too) why was Mara so weak when she's normally so strong? Because this is the one person who can get around her every guard. Remember, she's been with Palpatine - subject to his overbearing, dictatiorial manipulations - since she was a child. Meetings with Luke aside, she still has absolute loyalty to him and to the Empire and she's never made any secret of that. This is the man who was her mentor, her tutor, her taskmaster and her Emperor. He's controlled her completely since childhood, which was why he was confident enough to let her get close to Luke in the first place...because he knew he could always get to her in the end. He would always know just how to push her buttons.
    I'd say she held out an admirably long time against a Sith Emperor, but what could she say? He already knew something was wrong in the first place, he knew she

18. The-Solo-Smirk

The-Solo-Smirk Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 27, 2008
    Well, I guess because when we're with Luke and he senses the momentary contact with his father, then panics, he was still in a military base an hour or so from the Palace. When we return to the Imperial Palace where Palatine's confronting Vader, we realize that Vader makes that contact at the moment when he's made his decision to force Luke's hand. At that point, Luke's still an hour from the Palace and Palpatine's about a minute away from drawing his lightsaber, so...

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Come on, blank ... what's the use of thinking for ourselves when you will surprise us anyway???

I am lazy by nature...so I won't waste energy/synapse activity when goodness only knows what's going on in that diabolic mind of yours!

Considering that last chapter, I don't think you can get worse than Palpy, can you?

This explanation is good enough for me! Maybe we should agree on the term mega-Palpy to explain why Paply always has got to have the upper hand!

I am still a bit puzzled by the fact that Mara backed down so quickly...well, I am sorry but I am an idealist...I can't help it!

19. Darth_Malevolent7

Darth_Malevolent7 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2007
    Oh my goodness gracious. What a chapter.

I loved the end ... Vader, his insight of what he position is relative to not only Palpatine and Luke, but also in a sense with the Force. His seeming willingness to sacrifice himself, using Obi Wan's last words, were chilling.

I would like to see Vader survive, but your thoughts are hidden from me so patient I must remain.

20. Ocelotl_Nesto

Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    I re read the latest posting, I am pretty sure that Vader is going to perish. The question now is whether he was redeemed as we saw in RoTJ?

I liked the observation that even one Jedi is an agent of change. The portion on light and dark vs just a listing of power is an interesting. Personally I still think that darkness doesnt need a Sith to be represented in the Force to have balance. Hence the imbalance and need for Jedi to fight against the influence of the Dark side...

21. blank101

Nov 20, 2008

Darth_Malevolent7

""I loved the end ... Vader, his insight of what he position is relative to not only Palpatine and Luke, but also in a sense with the Force. His seeming willingness to sacrifice himself, using Obi Wan's last words, were chilling.I would like to see Vader survive, but your thoughts are hidden from me so patient I must remain
    ""

So Vader's finally realized the truth, and with it comes the desire to take responsibilty for his own actions, past and present. But redeption demands atonement, and atonement requires sacrifice, I'm afraid - especially in the SW universe... :(

Ocelotl_Nesto

""I re read the latest posting, I am pretty sure that Vader is going to perish. The question now is whether he was redeemed as we saw in RoTJ?

I liked the observation that even one Jedi is an agent of change. The portion on light and dark vs just a listing of power is an interesting. Personally I still think that darkness doesnt need a Sith to be represented in the Force to have balance. Hence the imbalance and need for Jedi to fight against the influence of the Dark side...""

Interesting... Yes, I woud imagine there doesn't have to be a Sith to represent the Dark Side too. It will always be there, in some aspet. There cannot be good without evil, even if it is the struggle within every mind and heart. Sometimes the subtlest struggles are the most important of all. [face_thinking]
    On the other hand, we both know that this won't be the case today.....o_O

The Solo Smirk

Sorry, TSS - brace yorself...

22. blank101

Nov 20, 2008
    CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

Vader was dead.

Palpatine was unavailable and Court already cancelled, the Council Chambers above and below the Throne Room eerily empty when Mara arrived in the South Tower, deeply disquieted, walking empty halls in hushed apprehension.

Vader was dead?and Mara was inescapably implicated in the death of Luke?s father.

Everything was spiraling out of control with terrifying speed.

She?d returned to her quarters, uncertain what to do, when the comm had come in from Reece?that Luke had sprinted off, taken an I-TIE, answering no hails, his course directly toward the Palace...

Mara broke the tip from the small glass vial and loaded the single dose into the dart, twisting the dart into the gun, little more than a gas-powered, rifled tube. When she pushed the safety on, her hand was trembling. She tucked the compact gun into her back pocket, telling herself that she was doing this for Luke?that if he came back to face the Emperor now, both parties would be livid. Palpatine would turn on Luke with a vengeance and Luke would goad him on, outraged. Neither would even attempt to contain or restrain themselves.

It could only end one way.

And for what? Vader was dead. Nothing Luke did would change that.

But she could stop it escalating?if she stopped Luke before he reached the Emperor.

But to do that she?d have to incapacitate him...and there was only one reliable way to do that. Her hand moved again to the loaded dart gun and she pulled it free, checking compulsively that the drug was loaded, that the dart was in the chamber, that the chamber was charged with gas. Aware that ultimately this would leave Luke prey to the Emperor?s fury for his part in the deceit, aware that he?d hold her to blame...but better that than an all-out confrontation when both were this volatile.

She was dong this for Luke. If she did this, he?d live to fight another day...even if he hated her for it.

She was doing this for Luke.

The I-TIE came in hot, batting down like a banshee as it slewed across the landing platform, forward thrusters battling with the antigrav. The canopy blew clear as it skittered to a grating halt and Luke lurched out.
    Mara set forward across the landing platform, arms before her, palms up, hoping to calm him, to interject.

Luke shouted from ten steps away, striding forward. ?Where is he?!?

Mara shook her head as she walked towards him, unable to do anything but answer, such was the tone in his voice. ?He?s in the Throne Room. But??

?Not Palpatine, my father. Where??

She was shaking her head, distraught. ?Luke, listen to me...?

?WHERE!!?

Mara shook her head again in mute appeal, reaching out for him as she neared him, but he twisted by without pausing, without even looking, rage rolling from him like a stormfront.

She reached out to grab for his arm as he passed and he turned, knocking her hand free. For a second she thought he would turn away and keep walking; perhaps that was what he?d intended. But his fury burst through and he reached out, hand snatching her throat, dragging her about and powering her backwards until she hit the Tower wall hard enough to see stars.

Still he held tight against her neck, leaning in, eyes wild and furious and desolate, a glowing rim of ochre at the edge of glacial-blue. He pressed in, eyes hardening, Mara?s vision tunneling as she fought for breath.

One hand to his, still tight about her throat, Mara fumbled her free hand to her back pocket, pulling out the small dart gun and pressing it to his neck and just for an instant he froze?then his eyes iced over and he shook his head fractionally, furious at her for this and himself for allowing it, for forgetting one last time where her loyalties lay.

Mara dragged a breath in about his hand, still tight to her throat, remembering when he had made her blaster misfire. ?You can?t beat it every time, Luke. You said yourself if there?s sufficient gas in the chamber to ignite...?

She left the rest unsaid, the a

23. SHADOW_MASTER_W

SHADOW_MASTER_W Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2005
    BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @};- @};- @};-

EXCELLENT BEYOND ALL EXPECTION!!!!!!:eek:

You can be very VERY SURE I'll be reading this over and over until the conclusion.

The descriptions of Palpatine's thoughts and realizations....FANTASTIC!!

The imagery of the fight.........SUPERB!!!

This has easily become my very FAVORITE Star Wars story, including all of the books that I've read.

24. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    DING DONG, THE EMPEROR'S DEAD, THE EMPEROR'S DEAD, THE EMPEROR'S DEAD...... [face_dancing]

Now, hopefully, Luke won't be dead, too.

25. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    What an intense chapter and Vader's death only brought about Palpatine's destruction. It took him long enough to realize his folly. Now Lukes life hangs in the balance? I can't wait for the next chapter