main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends In Shadows and Darkness -o0**COMPLETE! **0o- (L/M, H/L, Vader, Palpatine, Action/Drama)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by blank101, Jun 12, 2009.

1. blank101

blank101 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 20, 2008

CHAPTER SIX

Luke opened his eyes slowly, the world swimming before him, his vision still dark and hazy down his right side, forcing him to turn his head slightly to bring his Master into focus, even this small movement cutting deep across his collarbone, forcing him to freeze, unable to even breathe for long seconds. Time still condensed into short bursts of awareness, no real sense of any specific length between them, leaving him with the unsettling sense that people simply appeared and disappeared about him in the single blink of an eye.

Seeing his Jedi?s jarring, mismatched eyes flutter open, Palpatine spoke, unheeding of the boy?s obvious disorientation. ?I have news, my friend. My agent within the Rebellion?s main base has sent the proof I have been waiting for?confirmation that your attack originated there.?

Palpatine paused just slightly, almost unwilling to finally impart this damning information. It had been a long time coming and he had worked hard to achieve it, to force the Rebellion?s hand whilst not betraying his own. ?The assassination order came from the Rebel Alliance, dictated by their ?honorable? leaders, so full of their own pious, self-righteous morals?until it?s no longer convenient. They are your aggressors, my friend?those you fought beside, those you never once harassed or denounced. How quick they are to condemn you now... But didn?t I always warn you of their treachery??

He fell to silence, sharp yellow eyes locked on his Jedi?s, searching for some reaction, for the explosion of fury which would have welled up inside of himself had he been given this news?for the continuation of his Jedi?s outrage just a few days earlier when the true motive behind the attack had come to light.

Strangely, the boy only slumped, his head turning away, expression completely void of any emotion. Palpatine reached out subtly with the Force, but all he sensed was a momentary impression of a weight pressing in, deep and profound; disappointment not anger, loss rather than outrage. But acceptance; this remained a momentous victory for Palpatine, no matter how subdued. The final severance of old ties, even those which lay buried, something that could not be commanded or induced?such a profound parting of the ways had to be incited by those his Jedi trusted.

He was almost immediately pushed back, barriers raised and true emotions hidden, but he?d glimpsed the truth, and that was enough. Enough to bring the veiled ghost of a gratified smile to the old man?s lips.

The grief washed over Luke in waves, yet he felt strangely quiet as he turned away, shutting down the emotions which he knew his Master was searching out, pulling back inside himself and listening to the sound of his own ragged breathing, hearing his heart beat slowly. If he could have stopped them, stilled them both beneath the weight of this tearing loss, then he would have done so without hesitation. Simply closed his eyes and slipped away...

Memories and moments which had sustained him for so long came intensely to mind, recollections of trust and fellowship which had held him grounded in the eye of this endless storm.

Had Leia been there, when they?d made this decision? Had Mon? The woman who?d shook his hand and told him that she was proud of his commitment?that they needed more like him. Had Rieekan, the man who?d promised him that there would always be a safe haven for him within the Alliance on the same day he?d become top of the Empire?s Most Wanted list? Had Madine and Ackbar? Had Han?

After a long time, Luke became aware that his Master was still speaking, still pontificating on some detail or indictment. He wanted to tell him to stop?that the battle had been won, that he understood this final betrayal, that he accepted its implications and consequences.

But all he could do was to lie there and watch those thin, bloodless lips move in self-righteous accusation and listen to the profound silence which existed between the beats of a wounded heart.

He woke again late at

2. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Oooooooo!

What wonderful characterisation!

Vader and Luke seem to be getting closer- Hooray
    And Luke and Mara.

And Palpy is as criptic as usual.

Heh!
    So, will Luke chase Mon Mothra and Madilane? Yes.
    But how remains to be seen...

3. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Great update!!

Love reading this!!

Thank you so much for the PM

EG

4. The-Solo-Smirk

The-Solo-Smirk Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 27, 2008
    Myself, I think that wild cards would be unavoidable, even for Jedi and no matter what age you get them at; it's the human condition. We're unpredictable things, we fleshy sacks! Admittedly, I don't really think that Yoda telling Anakin, who's plagued with visions of the brutal death of his own mother, that he needs to master such emotional concerns wasn't straight out of the Dr. Spock book of child psychology (basically he sounded to me pretty much like he was saying, 'Push it all down inside, kid. Jus ignore it and it'll be fine!')

Exactly...and since we ARE unpredictable, especially when it comes to facing our fears, nobody would "just ignore it". Nobody.

I think Yoda's light side advice meant: "Well you cannot be sure if this vision of yours will come true...maybe it will only happen when you act to prevent it from happening...but we are not really sure..."

??? I'd go mental in any case... [face_laugh]

*off to read update*

**************************************************************************************

Memories and moments which had sustained him for so long came intensely to mind, recollections of trust and fellowship which had held him grounded in the eye of this endless storm.

Had Leia been there, when they?d made this decision? Had Mon? The woman who?d shook his hand and told him that she was proud of his commitment?that they needed more like him. Had Rieekan, the man who?d promised him that there would always be a safe haven for him within the Alliance on the same day he?d become top of the Empire?s Most Wanted list? Had Madine and Ackbar? Had Han?

This brings tears to my eyes?the loss of friendship and the tragedy of it all.

?I laugh,? Vader allowed, with the dry addition, ?just not out loud.?

?At what?? Luke challenged?but there was humor in his rasping voice.

I liked the teasing bit a lot!

His son glanced at him momentarily and despite everything those blue eyes seemed so similar to Vader?s own. It was a long time since he had cared to look at his own reflection, but Vader hadn?t failed to realize how much the boy looked like him; the same eyes, the same hair, the same jawline. Lean and sinewy as Anakin had been in his youth, but compact and trim, very much like his mother. A mix of them both, of himself and?

What would she think, to see her son like this? Consideration of her grief allowed Vader to acknowledge a little of his own?to realize that the weight which had settled cold and hard, like a stone in his stomach from the moment he knew what had happened was?fear. Not for his plans or his intentions or his loss of potential gains. Not because of what the boy could achieve or the goals he could fulfill?but that he may lose his son. Just that.

<3 Loved it!

?They were my family,? he whispered at last, the loss and disillusionment undisguised in his voice. ?I trusted them absolutely?they trusted me.?
    ?Leia Organa told me she would always trust me. Always, no matter what. I once found a bottle of Alderaanian mead on a tapcafe on Ansion and took it back for her. Cost me a month?s wages and I would have paid twice that to see her face when I gave it to her.

<3 Loved it, too.

?You?ve learned all that you can from him? Before he was an advantage?now he is simply an obstruction.?
    ?Take control,? he urged, bass voice no more than a whisper.

Go Vader! *evil cackle* It's the way of the Sith!

?Palpatine?s looking for a response?expecting one,? Luke said thoughtfully. ?I?d hate to disappoint.?

:D

Skywalker?s hoarse voice grated weakly from the doorway in reply, ?He is still awake and can hear everything you?re saying.?

?Well then, The Heir knows that there is no absolutely no way that he can return to his apartments yet.?

LOL!!! [face_laugh]

?Don?t make me laugh. My ribs hurt enough as it is.?

I loved the sick patient interaction between Luke and Mara...especially the fact that everything hurts and that laughter is the worst enemy of a broken rib!

He hesitat

5. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Strangely, the boy only slumped, his head turning away, expression completely void of any emotion. Palpatine reached out subtly with the Force, but all he sensed was a momentary impression of a weight pressing in, deep and profound; disappointment not anger, loss rather than outrage...

...The grief washed over Luke in waves, yet he felt strangely quiet as he turned away, shutting down the emotions which he knew his Master was searching out, pulling back inside himself and listening to the sound of his own ragged breathing, hearing his heart beat slowly. If he could have stopped them, stilled them both beneath the weight of this tearing loss, then he would have done so without hesitation. Simply closed his eyes and slipped away...

Had Leia been there, when they?d made this decision? Had Mon? The woman who?d shook his hand and told him that she was proud of his commitment?that they needed more like him. Had Rieekan, the man who?d promised him that there would always be a safe haven for him within the Alliance on the same day he?d become top of the Empire?s Most Wanted list? Had Madine and Ackbar? Had Han?...
    :_|:_| This was just heart-rendering. Luke, don't give up hope in your friends, and don't give in to despair or anger. Not everyone's abandoned you. :( Han, for one, is not giving up on you!

And I loved the part where Mara found Luke on the floor. [face_laugh] The interaction between them was cute. "You're laughing on my broken shoulder." LOL, poor Luke. :p

Amazingly well-written as always and looking forward to more!! =D=[:D]@};-

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Terrific update. =D= =D=

:D

7. LukeSkywalker_2001

LukeSkywalker_2001 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 18, 2002
    I'm glad that Luke seems to be okay after the injuries. I hope that he continues to recover, and that he stays away from Palpatine.

8. The-Solo-Smirk

Jun 27, 2008

Awww! Always the optimist...Mr. blank hasn't scared all of them away yet!

I *heart* you, dancing_star!

9. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Excellent update as always. Looking forward to more

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    That makes two of us!!! :* :* :* dancing_star is the sweetest! [face_love]

11. Ocelotl_Nesto

Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    Give me the hunt.... OOH... Madine is a walking dead man!

12. LittleMissNightsaber

LittleMissNightsaber Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2009
    Madine AND Mothma!

13. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Oohh, I so love this update; Luke still so vulnerable(the feeling you create is so palpable!), yet moving on with his plans, finally determined.
    Love the father & son scene and love, love, love Luke and Mara's little encounter when he has bumped on the floor; the timing, the feelings just under the surface, everything just perfect! I think it's my absolute favourite of all scenes in this story, no wait, that was the flag scene, or then it's the - ups, that's not posted here yet... [face_blush] Those are not posted here yet...:p Anyway I can't choose - too many of them! [:D]

PS Did I mention I adore Hallin!??? [:D]

14. blank101

Nov 20, 2008

Darth helinith

Hi :)

""What wonderful characterisation!
    Vader and Luke seem to be getting closer- Hooray
    And Luke and Mara.
    And Palpy is as criptic as usual.
    Heh!
    So, will Luke chase Mon Mothra and Madine? Yes.
    But how remains to be seen...""

Glad you're enjoying it. Yeah, Vader and Luke are kinda...well, in the same ballpark but stood at different ends and neither one's willing to walk a single step closer before the other does. o_O
    Will Luke go after Mothma and MAdine? He's thinking on it...but then, he's thinking on a lot of thigs at the moment...
    More on Friday [face_peace]

EG Kenobi

""Great update!! Love reading this!!
    Thank you so much for the PM
    EG""

Hey, no problem. More this weekend.

The Solo Smirk

Hey TSS :D

"" -?I laugh,? Vader allowed, with the dry addition, ?just not out loud.?""-

I liked the teasing bit a lot!""

Heh,heh; well I figured if Vader had a sense of humor, it would be desert-dry!

""Luke seems to trust Hallin a great deal?! Is that a good thing? I am not sure...makes him vulnerable.""

It does make him vulnerable and he knows it (there were stuff about his father he wouldn't admit, even to Hallin, though he knows he can trust Hallin completely), but I think even Dark Luke would go insane without having a group of closer confidantes about him. It's just who he is... May cost him eventually though...;)

"" -Still, Mara felt a pang of guilt which kept her eyes to the ground, irresolute morals and deep-seated loyalties holding her to an uneasy silence.-

I love this scenario! Nothing better than a bit angst/guilt/clashing loyalties...and attraction!""

Heh,heh,heh...stick around! ;)

"" -Because the truth was that even now, after three long years, Palpatine was never quite sure, that knife-edge volatility as wild and feral as ever. Would he ever truly tame it?in truth, did he even want to? ?Will you howl in the Darkness?my Wild Wolf??
    Luke half-smiled, unaware of the ruthless menace in his own scarred features in that moment. ?Give me the hunt and I?ll make sure I?m heard.?-

Huh? I didn?t see that one coming!""

Heh,heh. The defense would like to cite two incidents, m'Lud.

?You may find him a little?different," Hallin said. "Unpredictable, erratic perhaps. People recovering from coma's following head injuries?brain trauma?will often exhibit new character traits. They generally complain of racing thoughts, they?re unable to sleep, they may loose some social function...interpersonal and social judgment may be impaired for instance, so they may act inappropriately or out of character. They may exhibit a tendency towards violent episodes, become more mercurial or impulsive, swinging between inconsistent, often contradictory mood swings.?

He?d left himself vulnerable for too long, Luke knew. Torn between conflicting principles and loyalties. Palpatine had been right to point that out to him. Well now he had a new allegiance?the one he should have adopted long ago.
    Himself. His plans. His goals.
    Yes, Palpatine had sought a reaction, and Luke intended to oblige. For his own ends.
    Dum-dum-Duum! :p
    More soon.

dancing star

Heloo!:)

""I loved the part where Mara found Luke on the floor. The interaction between them was cute. "You're laughing on my broken shoulder." LOL, poor Luke.""

Heh,heh. Glad you liked. More Luke and Mara coming up. :)

""Amazingly well-written as always and looking forward to more!!""

Thank you! More on Friday.

Jade eyes

"Terrific update."

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it - more soon. :)

LukeSkywalker 2001

""I'm glad that Luke seems to be okay after the injuries. I hope that he continues to recover, and th

15. kataja

May 4, 2007

Squee!!! Really??? Is that a promise??? [face_batting] Awww, you're sweet, be careful I might hold you to that promise... :p

16. blank101

Nov 20, 2008

Heh,heh,heh. Promises, promises.

That's an interesting signature you have there... Now there's a quote I haven't heard in a long time...a long time. ;)

17. Allana_Djo_Solo

Allana_Djo_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2008
    Ok I have to admit I have read both stories this past week and [face_love] them if you could add me to the PM list I'd be happy

18. LittleMissNightsaber

May 2, 2009
    Bout time for a post. Isn't Blank?

@};-

19. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Blame me. I was on vacation, and haven't gotten the betaed copy back to him yet. Soon, very soon.

And then this afternoon I had to go follow the Saga Awards ceremony, in which our blank101 did very well indeed for this story's prequel, 'Into the Storm':

Best Epic
    Best Drama (tied)
    Best Canon Male
    Best Canon Female
    Best Villian

And last but certainly not least... Best New Author!

Let's give him a big round of applause! =D= =D= =D=

20. LittleMissNightsaber

May 2, 2009
    Congrats Blank!

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D= :D

21. The-Solo-Smirk

Jun 27, 2008
    Oh ho! Not bad, blank!

:eek: =D=

22. blank101

Nov 20, 2008
    Heh,heh, thank you so much![face_blush] :D [face_dancing]

It was very exciting and great fun!

[:D] [face_peace] And of course, a million thanks to everyone who voted for me! [:D] [face_peace]

[face_dancing] See how happy you make me![face_dancing]

23. blank101

Nov 20, 2008

Allana_Djo_Solo

""Ok I have to admit I have read both stories this past week and [face_love] them if you could add me to the PM list I'd be happy""

Hehe, Hey Allana, glad you liked 'em. You're on the list - more soon!:D

24. kataja

May 4, 2007
    =D= =D= Hurray!Congrats Blank!!!!!
    It was well deserved indeed!!!! [:D]
    =D= =D= =D= [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

25. blank101

Nov 20, 2008

Thanks Kataja! :D

And to you, for The Child. Well-earned![face_peace]