main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

In star by star...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Soontir-Fel, Feb 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    it makes several metions of magma missles. So I want to know are they the ongs equivilent to proton torps?

2. Cloaked

Cloaked Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2002
    My guess is that it is just super heated rocks.

3. JediProphet

JediProphet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2002
    I'd think that these magma-plasma missles were the Vongs primary weapon on all their ships. They can get to be pretty big, and go pretty far too, so they work good in long range.

The Vong ships can also shoot out grutchins, which I guess are like big preying mantises that eat through a ships hull.

4. Cloaked

Cloaked Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2002
    Didnt they mention that the missiles cooled turning into meteorites in SxS? That indicated to me that it was just molten rock being flung at top rates of speed.

5. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2001
    So if they traveled at long distances that would mean they got cooler and less effective?

6. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    "Didnt they mention that the missiles cooled turning into meteorites in SxS? That indicated to me that it was just molten rock being flung at top rates of speed."

That's how I always understood it...

7. BobaFetts_Clone

BobaFetts_Clone Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2001
    I noticed that too. They mentioned that the missles cooled down in to rock, making me think that they were shooting out molten rock of some work. But they also mentioned plasma weapons on the OVng ships...
    So it could just be a mistake and they're using the terms interchangeably, or there could be two different things. I would think plasma balls would be better than molten rock...

Here's another question, how would plasma react in space? woulld it solidify or varporize?

8. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    BFC...
    "I would think plasma balls would be better than molten rock.."

It actually depends on the defense. We know SW uses two completely different defense systems - particle shielding and ray/energy shielding. Particle shielding is good against physical attack and energy shielding is good against energy attack.

For the most part, particle shielding is kept up constantly on ships, essentially creating a stronger hull and it's energy shielding which is shifted around to wherever its needed the most.

However, if a ship had weaker particle shielding and stronger energy shielding, then the magma missiles would be devastating against it.

If a ship had stronger particle shielding and weaker energy shielding, then the magma missiles wouldn't be as destructive.

Plasma balls would be up in the air - being charged particles, it offers the best of both worlds in terms of balanced devastation. However, whether there's a trade-off in terms of effectiveness of component parts is unknown.

9. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    how would plasma react in space? woulld it solidify or varporize?

Plasma is a high-energy, superheated, ionized form of gas. The atoms of the gas have been heated and energized to such a point that they have been stripped of some or all of their electrons. As it cools, plasma recaptures its electrons and reverts to a normal gas. It can then cool farther and become a liquid or a solid, depending on what materials it was made from.

There are only two known ways to contain plasma. One is through an intense gravitaional fied (like the Sun). The other is through a magnetic botle. Because the plasma is ionized (charged), it can be forced to move in a circular fashion through a magnetic field. This is how a fusion (plasma based) reactor would be contained.

Uncontained in space, plasma would react just like gas, spreading out and cooling according to the basic laws of Thermodynamics and Gas theory.

Kimball Kinnison

10. BobaFetts_Clone

May 12, 2001

Thanks that makes sense.

But if Plasma is ionized, superheated gas, it would be particles and hence should be deflected by particle shields only, so how can it it also hurt ray sheilding? Unless the ray sheilds are required to absorb and dissapte heat form the plasma itself....

11. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    "But if Plasma is ionized, superheated gas, it would be particles and hence should be deflected by particle shields only, so how can it it also hurt ray sheilding? Unless the ray sheilds are required to absorb and dissapte heat form the plasma itself...."

Because it's Star Wars...

12. BobaFetts_Clone

May 12, 2001
    "But its Star Wars...."

Even so.....

It may not be real, but there should be some reason.....

13. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    As a superheated gas, plasma also emits various wavelengths of radiation (depending on the elements in the plasma). Remember, it also has a higher energy level, so it could contribute to overloading the shields (much like an ion cannon would).

Kimball Kinnison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.