main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

In the Beginning, or Character Creation

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Tremaniac, Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    I wanted to try something different. It was interesting, but I'm never doing it again.

2. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    I have to agree about the charm of a first level schmuck. Sure, you're cooler than a commoner (provided they are the same level), but you at least have the satisfaction of knowing that the only place to go is up. Or dead, but that's thinking negatively.

3. DarthArraKul

DarthArraKul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    i let my players roll 4d6 x 6 and drop the lowest .

they may then assign them in whatever order that they want

4. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    i'm pretty generous with my players as far as char gen goes. right now i'm using the following system for abilities:

1. roll 4d6, keeping the three highest. record the score.
    2. do this 8 times, keep the six highest.
    3. look at the set of six scores. you can either take that set, or throw them out or roll again, but this time you only get seven rolls.
    4. if you don't like the second set, you can do it one more time, but you get six rolls and you have to take all of them.

the scores end up higher than average, but that's the point, since i want them to be reasonably heavy hitters. they're also starting at 8th level with max VP.

5. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    they're also starting at 8th level with max VP.
    Wow. I let characters start with max ata level one, but after that, you've got to take what the dice give you.

6. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    I've got to agree with Fin on that one. That many levels of free VP is just asking for trouble.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I agree with Fin. However, I also approve of the "auto-middle" rule. Which would be 3.5 VP/level for d6, 4.5 VP/level for d8, 5.5 VP/level for d10 and 6.5 VP/level for d12.

Round up or down at the end at your leisure.

8. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    i totally understand your concerns, and i told the players (and they all agreed) that if it gets out of hand i reserve the right to have them go back and roll VP, but i think it will be fine. i trust my players and they are generally not abusive of the latitude i give them.

they know that brute force rarely solves anything in my games, which tend to be more political/roleplaying/problem-solving oriented. combat, when it happens, is usually more of a plot device than an end goal, and i'm OK with my Jedi players having a big pool for Force use since i think the RPG tends to underpower the Jedi overall. plus, the max VP rule also applies to major NPCs, so it all comes out in the wash...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.