In the context of the Saga, was there an opportunity to better utilise Episode 1?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by jp-30, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garoth Jedi Knight

Wow, now that went through my post again, I was Amazed how many typos I was able to put in it. Well, I'm quite sure that there is going to some more in the next one.

Vanthorne_OX, I know that there is going to be little more of Qui-Gon in EP3, but the biggest problem is that I'm quite sure that this was not the orginal idea. It was just something invented for his character afterwards, because GL thought that he needs to use Qui-Gon's character more. But if he had written EP2 and EP3 before he made EP1 he might have noticed the similarities between Jinn and Dooku and made a decicion to combine them. If I can see this option, it is quite reasonably to assume that he could have seen it.

But GL hadn't established "the new Sith apprentice" well enough too see this connection. thefore he now has Doku in the story and he is trying to finf ways to get Jinn back into the story. But on the otherhand, this character resurrection has worked quite well before, in OT.

Originally in the OT, the character of Yoda was not there. Obi-wan was going to survive ANH and train Luke. But when they filmed ANH, it was going to "stand alone" -movie, and not a first (or ultimately fourth) part of a bigger picture. So they had problems when with the character if Obi-wan end end battle of ANH. GL thought that it was not a good decicion to hane Obi-wan just to stand there with the generals and watch the battle from the screen. And he thought that it was equally unfitting solution to have Obi-wan to fly an X-wing in the end battle. Eventuall GL made his decicion: Obi-wan dies earlier in the movie. The worked very well in the ANH.

But when he was doing the sequels he faced a problem. Now that I have killed Obi-wan, who will train Luke? Threfore, he came up with Yoda. Buit how does Luke find Yoda? GL had many ideas for this one, but at the and he came up with the Obi-wan ghost to do the job.

This was just an example how one character can be resurrected from the dead to serve the plotline and new charcters that have not been previously established can be added to the story with positive effects.

It actually served to story very well to kill Luke's first mentor and them replace him with another one. So this time it actually served GL that he had not written ESB when he shot ANH, but i think that it didn't work well in TPM and AOTC.

2. KrystalBlaze Force Ghost

star 5
    GL put very little relevence into TPM except to bring forth the major players that will remain throughout the rest of the saga. The movie was good, but it needed more substance to actually prove it's worth to the saga. The fact it is the first PT movie is worthy enough, but there was nothing there that needed to be. We need to find Obi-Wan's, Anakin's and Yoda's characthers. Padme was a plus. Since he made the OT before the PT, we were looking for some key characters like Obi-Wan and the Emperor to present themselves. TPM was like a filler movie put only to suffice what he needed to do.

He could have done better, no doubt, by talking a little more about a Jedi's role and the corruption of the Senate that was all ready starting to take place.
  3. Ternian Jedi Youngling

star 4
    We didn't see Lando or Yoda in ANH and their impact in ESB and the rest of the saga worked out just fine. Be patient and have faith.

Lando was different - the dialogue between Leia and Han established who he was and his relationship to the story before we met him.

Dooku's name appeared in the opening scrawl and had audience's thinking - who is Dooku? And it is never clearly explained in AotC who Dooku actually is nor his role in the Confederacy or the galaxy. Jocasta Nu did explain it in the script - but it was lost in transit.

Yoda's the same.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.