main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga In the Dark of the Night (Vignette; Jedi purge AU)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Nienna_Narmolanya, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I wrote this last night and I've been picking at it like crazy since then. It's time to just post it. *takes deep breath, drops fic, and runs*

Title: In the Dark of the Night
    Genre: Drama, AU, Vignette
    Characters: Jocasta Nu, Dooku
    Summary: What if Palpatine hadn?t killed Dooku on the bridge of the Invisible Hand and had allowed the former Jedi to carry out the purge of the Jedi Temple?
    Notes: Just to clear any confusion ? in my Before the Saga story, Whispers, I set up Dooku and Jocasta as friends. I thought it would be interesting to explore the possibility of them encountering each other decades later after so much has drastically changed. I realize there?s really no logic to this set up other than that, but that?s the beauty of AU. I can indulge my fantasies. ;)

I haven?t written or posted anything in a very long time, so please be kind! :)

Warning: This is very dark, so if you?re feeling depressed, this may not be the story for you.

>><><<

The sun had long set on the Jedi Temple, yet at least one being within its ancient walls evaded sleep. Jedi master Jocasta Nu walked the deserted aisles of the Jedi Archives, listening to the faint echo of her own footfalls. She usually felt at home among the glowing holos, but tonight unease coiled in her stomach. Darkness veiled the Force. Something terrible lurked on the horizon, a nameless evil. She could feel it, and she knew from a conversation with Master Yoda earlier that day that he had felt it too.

Spying a discarded holo on one of the workstations, Jocasta muttered to herself about irresponsible padawans as made her way down the appropriate aisle to re-shelve it. Stretching to her full height, she slid it back in place with a satisfying click.

Then the screaming began.

Even though her physical ears heard nothing, an eruption of agonized cries sliced through the Force, bending her in half with shock and the unchecked pain of other Jedi. The pain of the dying.

Holding her hands to her ears, Jocasta took a moment to ground herself and raise her mental shields against the onslaught. Then, picking up her skirts, she bolted down the aisle as fast as her old legs would carry her. As she ran, she became aware of the lightsaber dangling from her belt, hitting her leg in rhythm with her gait. She hadn?t used it in decades, preferring the peaceful life of Temple librarian in her retirement, but she?d made sure to keep it in perfect working order.

As she rounded a holo-shelf and raced toward the exit, the doors parted. A black robed figure, its face lost in the shadow of its wide cowl, blocked the exit, blaster fire flashing like lightning behind him. Jocasta threw her weight backward, coming to an abrupt halt. The man entered the room with slow, purposeful steps. Black boots, polished to a shine, slapped against the marble floor, echoing the throb of Jocasta?s heart. One black gloved hand squeezed into a tight fist. The other grasped a flaming lightsaber. Red. Blood-red.

As he advanced, Jocasta crept backward, keeping her eyes fixed on him as she slowly drew her lightsaber from her belt.

The Force gave her the barest of warnings before the dark Jedi sprang at her, quicker than sight, in a gravity-defying leap. In the space of a heartbeat, he stood in front of her, gripping her saber arm like a vice. Jocasta tried to pull away but her back brushed against a holo-shelf. Trapped.

?Now, you will give me your saber,? the man commanded in a rich bass voice as he used the Force to yank the lightsaber from Jocasta?s hand. It coasted across the floor, out of reach.

That voice. It felt familiar, like she?d heard it in a dream? Jocasta narrowed her eyes, struggling to penetrate the shadow under his hood.

Holding his blazing saber to her throat, he released her arm, but a Force-vice still remained on her arms, keeping them pined to her sides. The dark Jedi used his now freed hand to finger the worn fringe of her robe and Jocasta fought off

2. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Oh Nienna what a chilling piece! Such a sad ending for Jocasta especially after reading 'whispers'. :(

Wonderful, vivid descriptions from you as always. Loved this.

As she rounded a holo-shelf and raced toward the exit, the doors parted. A black robed figure, its face lost in the shadow of its wide cowl, blocked the exit, blaster fire flashing like lightning behind him. Jocasta threw her weight backward, coming to an abrupt halt. The man entered the room with slow, purposeful steps. Black boots, polished to a shine, slapped against the marble floor, echoing the throb of Jocasta?s heart. One black gloved hand squeezed into a tight fist. The other grasped a flaming lightsaber. Red. Blood-red.

Brilliant. You never cease to amaze me with your writing.

Bravo =D= I look forward to seeing more from you soon (hint hint ;) )

3. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    wow. :eek:

that was so dark and i loved all the little details.

go you for writing this!

4. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Oh, that was cooooold.

Cold and incredibly dark for Jocasta to be betrayed like that. *shudder*

Amazing stuff, Nienna. Startling, even. Much =D=---oooh, that was good though. In a scary way.

5. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Not even the slightest bit of mercy from Dooku?

:_| :_| :_| :_|

Though maybe he felt he was being merciful by not making Jocasta suffer.

Wonderful job on this. It's nice to see the purge from a Jedi's POV, even though this was an AU purge.

=D= =D= =D= =D=

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Excellent! [face_devil]

?How typical of them to label me a lost Jedi.? He laughed bitterly, a wholly unpleasant sound. ?No, not lost. Found.?

His shadowed face turned toward her, and in the blue glow of countless holos, Jocasta could have sworn he was smiling. ?Yes, the Dark Side can be treacherous, but it can also be a powerful tool in the hands of someone competent enough to wield it properly. It is very ironic really. You Jedi spend your entire lives devoted to what you call the light side of the Force. Yet when you are in your most desperate hour, the light abandons you and the darkness assumes its place.?

For an instant, Jocasta dropped her eyes from the black-robed man to the bust his fingers gently caressed. The hollowed out eyes of Dooku stared back at her. ?No,? she breathed.

The man raised his lightsaber to the ready position and took two measured steps toward her. ?The Jedi were always pathetic fools, pawns to a corrupt Senate that perpetuated greed and discord in a galaxy that craved nothing but stability and peace. I promise you, by the end of this night, the galaxy will have its peace.?

Dark and lovely! =D=

7. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    Kes - Thank you so much for the kind words! [:D] I look forward to seeing more from you soon (hint hint) I'm working on it. ;)

Jennifer_Lyn - Thanks for reading, J_L! :D

Luna_Nightshade - Startling, even. I think that's the first time anyone's described one of my fics as "startling." Hmm, is this a good or bad thing? [face_worried] :p Thanks for reading, Luna!

KELIA - Not even the slightest bit of mercy from Dooku? He is a Sith after all, but I like your thought about him actually being merciful by giving her a quick and painless death. :) Thank you!

VaderLVR - Thank you very much! :D

8. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    *shivers*

Oh, Nienna, that was shuch a hauntingly cold piece -- I have shivers! So dark... you wrote both Dooku and Jocasta so well. I have to admit that I haven't read many pieces featuring them, so this was extra interesting.

Very, very dark though.

=D==D==D=

9. ROTSFan

ROTSFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2006
    Dark and sad, but beautiful. [face_skull]

Is it wrong that I spent this entire post just glad it wasn't Ani that was doing this? :p

10. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    Idrelle - I like writing about less popular characters for some reason. Maybe it's because less ideas have been taken already. :p Thank you very much! :D

ROTSFan - Is it wrong that I spent this entire post just glad it wasn't Ani that was doing this? From my perspective, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. :p Thanks for reading! :D

11. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    Awww, that was so sad, Master...:_|

A superb piece of writing, I loved it!=D= =D=

12. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    *wipes away tears*
    that was so poignant and well-done! I could see this happening.
    Great job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.