main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming In the End They'll Beg Us to Save Them: The Deus Ex Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by moosemousse, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    You sure? Seems everyone is being manipulated by everyone in Deus Ex. As for "their orders are to kill you", so? If you play the game properly, you can talk down the Leader of the Humanity First movement. Seems Jensen is quite the talker, y'know? Everyone is open to some sort of reason. They're not zombies. :)

Also, you can get by on no-kills with just a pistol. Fully upgraded (and even partly upgraded) it's a great weapon.

2. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Ha ha! namir you punk!

I beat Namir easily with 2 fully upgraded typhoon Blasts between a short burst of Rifle fire. I mean it is still a bit luck of the draw, when he tosses granades. And he nearly killed me with that plasma rifle.

3. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    In the end I sided with Taggart It wasn't easy the guy is a Jerk.

But the tyrants, Zhao, all the madness caused by them, and the freedom they had to get away with it!

There has to be some control, some limit. Yeah, i am aware the The Tyrants and Zhao were working for them, But too many out of control augments. They should have never been made in the first place, Government has to retake control

4. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Kind of (see: very) disappointed nothing more came from reuniting with Megan. It was like "GRR, you're working with them!" and "No! ADAM! I'M NOT! *bats eyelashes* "Oh, you're not? Okay. How do I escape?" and she goes "Go this way, stop them, KTHXBI."

Really hope maybe some DLC covers what feels like a really poorly done plot point.

5. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Thanks Imp, that's good to know. :)

6. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
  7. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Hilarious!

But I do agree on what a boss fight shood be. It should be a final Exam, not simply a fight with a souped up enemy, I just Lucked out with my highly confrontational Play style, and I chose the upgrades that made this game easy in the end.

I really shouldn't have been able to kill Namir that easily... but conversly he shouldn't so Uber you needs to two shot him so the fight wouldn't be a total nightmere.

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    His comment about the "Endingtron 3000" is spot on. I was way disappointed by that final room and the ending in general. I mean, who didn't immediately save their game and view every different ending? And by "different ending" I mean a slightly different collection of stock footage.

9. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I didn't. Cuz I didn't feel like going back for Taggart, so my Endingtron 3000 was a button short :(

:p

10. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I just picked up the game. My first impression is that people move in really unnatural ways. My second impression is that the soundtrack sounds a lot like the first Mass Effect soundtrack.

EDIT: Third impression. I'm a total failure at sneaking. I've just spent a half hour trying to sneak around the first two enemies, and failing every time.

EDIT: Fourth impression. Now that I've stopped trying to use the cover system to get around, sneaking is easy.

11. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    I'm not cut out for sneaking. I've spent over a half hour now reloading the same room over and over. I'm trying to wait for different enemy paths, trying to use different paths myself, nothing is working for me.

I think that I'm just going to have to accept being an absolutely ruthless psychotic killing machine.

EDIT: Starting over. Killing everything.

12. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Stealthing is easier when you get the cloak, if that is your choice. it also alows you to gun down or taze people while invisable.

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I found the cloak to be pretty worthless. It's pretty easy to stay hidden in most areas. Just take your time and don't rush. I found hacking to be much more important for stealth. The ability to turn off all the cameras/turrets/robots makes some of the later areas super easy.

14. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

No. Killing everything. Everything must die.

15. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Hacking is relativly easy, as long as you have required level. For cameras that is. I never got Level 5 hacking because by then I didn't need it (It was in Singapore)

With four batteries an 3points in cloaking i just stealther through the laser detection grid in Ty young medical

16. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Submissioning and tasing people get you the "Merciful soul" xp bonus.

Besides without Full Skin armor/Flash Suppresion/ Lung protection, you can kill/ disable yourself pretty easily.

With Skin armor your a slightly more durable glass cannon.

And Enemys swarm you pretty quick, The ai is vicious in this game, If your playing agressive invest in armor skin and the Typhoon system.

The Typhoon is necessary if your going agressive.

Also invest in super strength and wall punching. vending machines will be your friend...and you can throw them!

17. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I have a problem with wall punching. If someone is on the other side you can only kill them, you can't knock them out. I guess it's only a problem for a no kill run, but still, the option would be nice.

18. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I Found a Horrible horrible anti climatic glitch spoilers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v1X5F0d58I

19. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    That's no glitch.

And it's hilarious.

20. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

I want to like this game. I like the setting and the world building, I enjoy the RPG elements, it's generally fairly pretty. But nevertheless, this game is making it hard for me to like overall. I went back to the game after taking a break for a few days, and I can't say as I like it any better. Right now, that I seem to need hacking in order to fulfill Malik's quest is a big pissoff for me. I don't mind leaving sidequests unfinished. But I don't want to leave this one unfinished, so I went back to restart. Again.

And then I changed my mind. I figured that I'd just continue with the main quest, and then loop back once I had more experience and hacking unlocked. But as I type this, I'm in the starting sequence. Since I'm in here, it won't give me a chance to skip or to just quit the new game. I just control/alt/deleted my way out of it, because it takes $#%^ing forever. Also, I absolutely hate the hacking minigame in this game, which was why I didn't bother getting hacking.

That some content can't be completed except by specific builds is fine. But I find it annoying that the game is being billed as a "play the way you want to play!" game when it actually means "play as a hacker/stealth character or you'll only ever seen the main questline, and without hacking and stealth it'll make you bleed in real life with the difficulty set to easy" game.

21. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    In lighter news, I got the Pacifist achievement tonight - though I could have sworn I heard a frag mine go off in Panchaea... because I chugged a box in its direction... near some... people... [face_worried]

Gave me Foxiest of Hounds too, which, again, I thought I'd screwed up on somewhere in the game.

Honestly, even in games I liked 5 times as much (and Deus Ex is great) I never got that many of the achievements. Only missing 2 o_O

22. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    So, I'm now entering in codes manually into the control panel to try to finish off the Shanghai Street justice quest.

Only 9950 more possible combinations to go.

23. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    buy a bunch of nuke and stop! virus', I couldn't complete that quest on my first run either, but I learend how to hack reasoable better through my first play through, And I eventually through hacking and looting got up to 8 nukes a 4 freezes. with 4-5 nukes I completed the quest.

24. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I think all bets are off come Panchaea. I'm pretty sure the "folks" there aren't counted if you kill them. Nor are they counted if you alert them.

I found out what happened during my Pacifist play through (see: first go). During the side quest Francis gives you, regarding old acquaintances. Apparently if you grant the old guys dying wish and pump him full of morphine (which I did) that's a kill. Kind of a pain in the neck, all things considered. But at least I know I can do it...again. As now the only achievements I'm missing are Foxiest of Hounds and Pacifist. Tell me a story, here I come. :p

25. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    I read on the achievement guide that they don't count in Panchaea