main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming In the End They'll Beg Us to Save Them: The Deus Ex Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by moosemousse, Apr 16, 2010.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Or use an AUD. Or find a site with the code and hope it works.

But yeah, I'm with Raven on this. It was stupidly hard.

2. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    Maybe I have upgraded my hacking more, but I found this pretty easy. Didn't need any nukes or anything.

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    why did nobody tell me that beforehand :p

but even in-story... they're innocent people, aren't they? And unless you blow the place up, don't they revert to normal once you shut down the broadcast? So, the more people live, the better!

Though ironically, my oh so merciful Adam was a **** to everyone :)

4. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    After I got (in my opinion) screwed on my Pacifist play through, I went and looked up a guide and I believe that's what the guide said [in regards to Panchaea]. But, it stands to reason that you are correct. :p

5. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I went with the no kill thing all the way through that area. They're innocent civilians and all that. It was quite funny as I spent most of the time running away from them while my energy recharge, and then I'd chase after them and knock them out in some over the top way.

6. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I misread. They do count against the pacifist achievement. They do not, however, trigger alarms.

7. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I've restarted as a hacking stealth person. Game is significantly easier now.

The first boss died in hilarious fashion, eventually just blowing himself up with grenades.

EDIT: Best thing in the game so far: behind Serif, a baseball game that he's following is Detroit vs. Montreal. Win.

8. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

Zombies.

:rolleyes:

9. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Montreal? Do they reinstate the Expos in the future?

10. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Team name wasn't shown, only the city. Given that a large part of the game was made in Montreal, it's a nice touch.

I ended up going through the game for the first time as a stealth/hacker for the most part. I basically RP'd as a nice guy who'd rather not hurt anyone, Gandhi with a tranq gun. On easy at least, mobs didn't revive each other after they went down, so I'd just run away, get some battery, do a double take-down, run away some more. From an RP perspective, it's to a) protect the civilians still alive, b) because the people who've gone crazy don't deserve to die either, c) it's not like they'll be calling in alarms over the entire building. I'd already lost the "don't kill anyone" while saving Malak (mercenaries vs. a friend, my Jensen wasn't going to risk her life to half measures!) and I think that I lost the stealth portion in the last level. Oh well.

This time, my Jensen has a death wish. He's still mostly stealthy, but if cover breaks I'm not sweating it. And this time around, every single enemy that I see is going to die. Every last one. And I'm going to take option #4 at the end, straight to the bottom of the ocean. Nevertheless, he'll save every innocent life he can, until he reaches that end point.

11. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Has anyone tried this with OnLive (either .com or .co.uk)?

OnLive's introductory service means you can get this for a quid in the uk and play it on (almost) any old bit of kit.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Has anyone seen that they've released the bonus material as DLC? I can't tell whether to be annoyed about this or not as it means I could have just bought the regular edition for less that I paid for the Augmented Edition, and then bought the DLC, and probably would have saved money. Yeah the art book and bonus DVD are nice and all, but it seems to me that it devalues the Augmented Edition a bit. What's the point of preordering to get bonus material if they release it all as DLC anyway?

13. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    That's how everyone does it nowadays!! I like it, because it means people get to play all content and arent restriction by the version they bought.

14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    But then what's the point in having different versions at different prices if you end up with the same stuff any why? What's the point in having a preorder bonus if you give it to people who didn't preorder it? The whole point about having special editions of games is that you get exclusive content only available with that edition, not that you pay more for the same game and get the same content as the normal edition.

The Augmented Edition was special because it had the Explosive Mission Pack and Tactical Enhancement Pack.
    The Limited Edition was special because it had Explosive Mission Pack but not the Tactical Enhancement Pack.
    The regular edition wasn't special because it didn't have either.

That's why they had different different prices.

It just makes me so incredibly frustrated! If gamers were that bothered about the bonus content then they should've gotten the either the limited edition or the augmented edition.

15. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    The point is that you get the content before anyone else does. In this case over a month. The main point they release all these editions is because people will pay that bit extra.

I think saying that just because someone didn't preorder a game they shouldn't get the content is absolutely ridiculous. What about those who cant afford to preorder it but can afford it a few months down the line. Why should they be punished for that. Why should people who like me got this game as a gift, not get access to the other content just because I didnt get given a certain edition.

I don't think any game ever has actually made content exclusive to edition. Not serious content anyway and neither should it be. Usually the special editions make the bonus content cheaper than the downloadable content but who knows.

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    When I ask for DVDs and games as a present I always make sure to specify the limited edition or the GotY edition. I'm not asking for Lego Harry Potter for my birthday even though it's released the day, just to make sure I get the preorder bonus. Not getting content isn't a punishment, but getting content is a reward for early purchase or buying the special edition of the game. I didn't get any of bonus stuff that came with the Collector's Edition of ME2, it'd be nice if I could have gotten it, but I can't, so I'm not going to complain.

Games that have made exclusive content:
    ME2
    The Witcher 2
    Dragon Age 2 (the Signature Edition was only available to preorder and not sold after release)
    Sims 3 Pets (will have exclusive breeds on consoles and a pet shop on PC)
    Sims 3 Medieval

There are probably a lot more that I can't think of right now.

17. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Not everyone buys off of Steam where the different options are available, not everyone preorders every game, etc. Take the Witcher. I just picked up the original Witcher yesterday. Somehow, I seem to have failed to preorder it. I did pick up the enhanced director's cut special edition or whatever it is. But expecting people who pick up the games later not to be a little annoyed that they've missed content is too much to expect.

18. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I absolutely hate it when games have pre-order bonuses. Especially when there are like 4 or more different bonuses depending on where you pre-order it. Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop and WalMart all give something different. You want all the maps for Game X? Sorry, better buy four copies! It's a disgusting practice that I wish would stop. It's not like pre-ordering is even necessary. I've never had a problem picking up a game on release day without pre-ordering. It's all a gimmick.

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Why? I just dealt with it. I didn't preorder ME2 so I didn't get the collector's edition or preorder bonuses, but it doesn't bother me too much. And the Witcher 1 special edition wasn't all that special and it didn't have any exclusive material either. It was just an upgrade that everyone who bought the game could get. The Augmented and Limited Editions of Deus Ex actually have bonus material, but now that it's available anyway there's no difference between the editions except the price. I can't remember the price difference but it was a lot more than 320 MS Points.

However, this pales in comparison to this:

I strongly agree here. Preorder bonuses can be great but when four different places have four different bonuses? Yeah, that sucks. Take Forza 4 as an example. Different shops have a different car each. And Gears of War 3 had a different character skin for different places places.

Preordering is a lot different for me though, it makes sure I get a copy and it's delivered to my door. Means I don't have to make a two hour round trip to pick up a game.

Anyways, I have issues to do with being left out and not included. Getting preorder or limited edition bonuses makes me feel special because I have something that other people don't. I like feeling special and knowing my 'special' edition isn't special any more just kinda sucks. :(

20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    On a much happier note than my last post: The Missing Link is out now!!

It's 1200 MSP on XBL, you'll have to check how much it is where you live but it's £8.99 on Steam and I can't check on PSN.

21. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    If anybody has any feedback to give on the new DLC, please share. Contemplating purchase.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So are you also opposed to GOTY/Ultimate editions then too Mousse? That certain content should always be exclusive to certain limited editions? I can see an awful lot of potential for such a move to backfire spectacularly.

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    GotY and Ultimate editions (such as Fallout 3 GotY, GoW2 Complete Collection, DA:eek: Ultimate Edition, Forza 3 Complete Collection, Dawn of War Complete Collection, probably lots of others too) don't actually contain exclusive content. It's just the regular game plus expansions/DLC available to everyone. Except Forza 3, it didn't have the Community Choice Pack, but that's no big deal as it's not exclusive either. But no, I'm all for those. It makes it easy for late comers to pick up the game and not worry about hunting round for all the expansion packs or DLC. But that is vastly different to special editions, such as a Collector's Edition, having exclusive content. It's a perk for those who want it and pay more for it and/or preorder it. Otherwise why bother preordering or buying a Collector's Edition when you can wait a few months for the price to drop and still end up with the bonuses that those who paid extra for the Collector's Edition and preordered it got?

Anyways, let's move on from that.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd say it's likely a gamble buying the special edition Mousse, albeit one weighted in your favour! After all, in most cases, those limited editions will only be done for the games expected to sell well and so will indeed disappear in most cases. Certainly preorder deals aren't going to be repeated either.

But, as you say, back to the game: Worth experimenting with for £20 or under?

25. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    finally picked this up, and after struggling some early, it is going well. I am mostly going for a stealth non leathel character. balacing full stealth and stealth combat. and can't imagine doing open combat in this game. so much depends of stealth