Beyond In the Fog (18ABY, L/M, the Solos, Rogue Squadron, etc.; action, humor, romance.Ch 10 UP - 7.03.12)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mondra, Dec 28, 2011.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Mondra Jedi Knight

star 1

Title:
    In the Fog
    Timeline: 18ABY
    Genre: Action, humor, romance, AU
    Characters: Luke, Mara, Han, Leia, Rogues, Talon Karrde, Garm Bel Iblis, NRI, Borsk Fey'lya, OCs...
    Summary: Chief-of-State elections are just around the corner and Borsk Fey'lya will do anything to win...
    Disclaimer: Own I do not.
    A/N: So this is my another attempt at fanfiction. Big thanks to Jade_eyes for being my beta! I feel a lot more confident posting it now. [face_love]

Enjoy and may the Force be with you!

Prologue

A small shuttle of unknown origin landed slowly in one of the hangars of a V-class Imperial Star Destroyer Scylla. The hatch opened and three tall, lean humanoid aliens stepped out. Their skin was sickly gray, they had no hair whatsoever, and the only clothing they had were pale yellow knee-length tunics with slits going up to their upper tights that allowed them to move freely. They had sharp claws instead of soft, human nails, nearly nonexistent noses and large fangs that were sticking out of their mouths.

"So, do we have an agreement?" one of the aliens rasped, clearly not used to speaking basic, as they stood before a group of stormtroopers and Imperial officers.

"If that's what the Moffs want, that's what they'll get." captain Bensk Gnat wasn't really trying to hide his displeasure at having some filthy aliens on board his precious ship. Scylla has been under his command for over fifteen years now and it was the first time he allowed any alien on board, with the exception of Wookiee slaves.
    It was beyond him why the blasted Moffs wanted anything to do with this scum that barely even spoke basic.

"Good. Show us our quarters." the alien replied and Gnat had to take a deep breath trying to calm down. They're just uncultured animals, no wonder they don't know how to treat an Imperial officer with respect, he thought angrily. He waved at four stormtroopers behind him and turned around, wanting to be as far from the offending aliens as possible. He felt a claw on his arm and stiffened.

"If want respect, try harder, captain." the leader of the aliens said slowly. Gnat just glared at him, shrugged, removing the claw from his arm and left the hangar not looking back.

"We can't let this get out of control, Kabeth. We need to make sure we are in charge at all times." Moff Darel An'pag paced in his office and his son couldn't help but roll his eyes at the old man's back.

"Father, you already said that five times since we got here, and that was ten minutes ago." Kabeth An'pag, a tall dark man in his late twenties got more comfortable on his father's nerfskin armchair. "You know that our sources have verified their usefulness. And it would be unwise to question our sources. For now." He watched as his father stopped and sat down on a chair across the gigantic desk.

"Sometimes I don't know where you get this attitude of yours, son."

"Clearly, from my teachers at all the boarding schools you ever sent me to. And probably my mother." the younger man said with a smirk at his father's obvious nervousness when he mentioned his mother.

Hallel An'pag was indeed an intimidating woman. She was a Kuati aristocrat and married his father when good old Palpatine was still ruling the Galaxy. The family wanted to gain prestige by marrying their daughter to an Imperial Moff, but she didn't like that one bit and decided to make her husband?s life a living hell. She kept succeeding in that task for over thirty years now. She was a strong, proud woman, and never accepted her status as a Moff's wife. She wanted to go back to her glory days on Kuat, not be stuck on some backwater planet that the Empire consisted of these days. To say she wasn't happy with her life was an understatement. The only things that brought her joy was tormenting her husband and spoiling her son, and occasionally plotting to regain her high position in the Kuati aristocracy. She was not very welcome on her home world since the fall of the Empire.

"If this doesn't make your mother happy, I don
  2. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Mondra! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] I enjoyed gobbling up your early chapters LOL and the plot overall is quite promising in the riveting department :cool: and -- an excellent title there =D=

This is one of my favorite timeframes in the EU :) especially for L/M. :*

[:D]

[:D]

3. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Ooooh! Interesting prologue. I can't wait to see where you take this.
  4. LexiLupin Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Political intrigue, Talon Karrde, and Rogues... three things I do quite enjoy indeed. :D Looking forward to see what you've cooked up here. Especially if Borsk Fey'lya is involved... that always ends... well. [face_laugh]
  5. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Excellent start. It looks like you have all my favorite people lined up for this story. (L/M and such). The title, In the Fog, sounds ominous.
  6. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    Oooh, yay! I'm so excited!! This is a very intriguing beginning and I cannot wait to see where this goes!! I loved your first story and am hooked. Can't wait for more!! :D
  7. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    That is a really interesting start! I'm very curious to see where the story goes.
  8. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Interesting start, politics and action I love it
  9. mara_jade_rox Jedi Master

star 2
    These aliens sound creepy, and yet very interesting. You've got me hooked. :)

MJR[face_peace]
  10. Mondra Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow, so many comments! I'm overwhelmed! :D
    I have 5 chapters of the story written so far, and I'm working on the 6th. I will be posting quite frequently now, but please forgive me if I slow down later. I promise I will finish this!

Jade_eyes
    - Thanks again! :D Yep, that's also my favorite timeframe. No Vong, no Sith nephews, no Daala (seriously, WHY?!), just good ol' Empire vs New Republic.

Briannakin
    - I'm glad you like it :). I hope I won't disappoint you!

LexiLupin - Political intrigue is what I'm aiming for, and I will be working hard not to screw it up! :p Thanks for reading!

Jedi_Lover - Ominous, I like that word... [face_laugh]. I always have problems with titles, so I'm happy that I came up with that.

ginchy - Thanks! I haven't written a long story in... 10 years? Wow, it's already been that long... I will do my best to make it interesting!

Hazel - Thank you. Again, I will work hard not to disappoint you. :D

earlybird-obi-wan - I also like politics, and a week before I left to Japan there were elections in Poland; one political party likes to play dirty so that's why I came up with the idea.

mara_jade_rox - Thank you! Good to know that my aliens turned out how I wanted them to be. Sometimes writing is like baking - you don't know if the final effect will be what you wished for [face_laugh]
  11. Mondra Jedi Knight

star 1
    So, here's Chapter 1! Have fun!

Chapter 1

It was gray. Unusually gray on Coruscant. It was still unclear for him why he decided to come here in the middle of his most hated season. Late autumn light caused the usually flashy and lively city to look dull. Than he remembered his niece and nephew's birthday and his mood brightened a bit. He noticed a movement nearby and stood up to let an old lady sit in his seat on a hovertram.

?Thank you young man. How nice of you..." said the lady, sitting down.

?I try to do my best, ma'am" he answered, smiling slightly. The woman reminded him of aunt Beru a little.

?I'm glad to see that the Empire did not manage to purge all manners out of youths like you."

?Well, I guess you could say that the Empire wasn't that interested in my third rate home planet" he said with humor. The ?third rate" phrase reminded him of someone he was hoping to meet here.

?Third rate or not, manners are manners. I used to work as a secretary in the Old Republic Senate and I've seen all kinds of beings, presenting all kinds of behavior. From those most refined ones, like Alderaani or Naboo senators, to Garrmoreans and I think you know how I felt about them."

?So you knew some of the senators?"

?Oh yes, and I liked Bail Organa the most... A great tragedy, what happened to Alderaan. I heard his daughter is a politician, but I haven't used the Holonet in fifteen years, the prices these days are horrifying, I tell you."

?Certainly, ma'am... Oh, it's my stop. Goodbye..."

?Goodbye, young man. It was nice talking to you." said the old lady, oblivious to the fact that everyone in the hovertram was staring at her. Not everyday you see an old lady chatting casually in a public transport with THE Luke Skywalker. The galaxy sure was full of surprises.

The young Jedi hopped onto the hovertramstop platform in a better mood. It was nice to be treated like a normal person once in a while, not like the-Jedi-Master-Head-of-the-Jedi-Order-and-the-brother-of-Chief-of-State. Sometimes he felt like all those titles hung over him like {rain clouds} currently covering half of the city. But he had to ask Artoo if the Holonet fees were really that high...

It was not common knowledge, but Luke Skywalker had his strange little habits. Traveling by hovertram was one of those. He did like driving on his own, but usually he tried to act like a normal citizen, and that included using public transportation, shopping in a store nearby his apartment, taking out the trash or doing laundry. He didn't have an idea if the Jedi of the old did all that, but he figured that in this matter, ignorance was not a bad thing. Sometimes he felt desperate need to cling to at least some normalcy in life.

He picked up his bag and started towards his apartment. He gave up living in the Imperial Palace long ago and bought an apartment a few tramstops away. Nobody but his close friends and family knew about this place, so no holojournalists, politicians or fan girls (recently he really wondered what in the Force possessed all those young girls to start a fan club) could freely barge in and demand attention. Unlike his previous apartment, this one was decorated and furnished by him and was a kind of a getaway; he came here every time things in the Academy were running smoothly, Tionne had no mountains of paperwork for him, and Kyp's mood and mental condition were better than usual.

Stepping out of the turbolift, he felt a familiar presence, but decided not to call out to her yet and at least try to act surprised.

?Hey, Jedi-boy, are we getting rusty?" Mara Jade asked and leaned on his apartment door, smirking.

?Mara! Thank the Force! And I thought I would have to fight off my fan club yet again..." he said, humor in his voice, and he laughed when he saw her eyes widen.

?Those lunatics bothering you?"

?What, so protective?"

?No, I guess I just pity all those young girls who only think about idols instead of getting the real thing."

?Oh? And you're here for the real thing?" he smiled evilly, watching her ears reddening. Nothing else betrayed her
  12. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Love it! That has everything I like in an update...Mara and a naked Luke!!=D= [:D] [face_love]

Poor Luke! [face_laugh]
  13. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_laugh]

Maybe Wes was thinking Luke needed some inspiration to approach a certain redhead.

Very nice chapter!
  14. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Loved that. Luke acting normal and meeting Mara and the farmboy fun begins.
  15. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    Mara Jade has ALL the fun. I wanna see a wet neekid Lukie!!! I'm thinking she liked what she saw. Mara never stammers!! And that's too funny about Wes planting that under Luke's bed. (Uh-huh... :eek:) And I love him having his own place away from the crowds. Very Luke. Great first chapter!!
  16. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    The scene with the little old lady was sweet! But I really enjoyed Luke rushing out of the shower to see if Mara was in trouble. Oh man, Wes is going to get it [face_laugh]
  17. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Mondra, the scene on the hovertram --- awwwwww! So Luke -- he tugs at every mommy and grandmom's heart - it's those blue eyes of his.

As for the second scene and what mara noticed -- [face_laugh] [face_laugh] those SW Freudian slips - tell the story!!! rofl!!!

Ahem ... Wes is so in big poodoo now :p [face_laugh]

But hahaha! The Rogues know the lady-style Luke likes to drool over - i.e., specifically redheads with jade eyes ;) - Guess his attraction to Mara is no secret after all, duh!

18. Mondra Jedi Knight

star 1
    Jedi_Lover - Indeed, poor Luke! I guess I've been away from my boyfriend too long if my brain's coming up with that kind of stories... :p

Hazel - Thank you! I think that sometimes some men are so thick-headed that they need inspiration. ;)

earlybird-obi-wan
    - Thanks! Farmboy fun will never cease to entertain me!

ginchy - Wet... Naked... =P~ Oooh, I need to snap out of it!

Briannakin
    - Maybe it's too Klingon, but "revenge is a dish best served cold"... Wes is going to get it eventually...[face_devil]

Jade_eyes - Thank you! It's all thanks to you! :) Freudian slip is a result of me and my friends being bored once during class.

19. Mondra Jedi Knight

star 1
    A/N: I will be using the terms "President" and "Chief-of-State" equally. I don't really see the difference between those two. ;)

Chapter 2

Mara and Luke were sitting at a small restaurant near their usual gym, enjoying a simple meal. The whole day, Mara teased Luke mercilessly about the holos, even when it turned out that those were just a "present" from his ever helpful Rogue, Wes Janson. Of course, the banter served to conceal the obvious facts:

Fact one ? Mara had seen Luke naked.

Fact two ? Mara liked what she saw.

Fact three ? Wes knew Luke very well.

Fact four ? Wes gave Luke a data card full of holos of red-headed girls.

She stole a glance over her plate at him. Look at the bastard, nearly forty years old and still looking damn hot, she mused. Wait, where did that come from? Seriously, get a grip, woman... And what about all those red-headed girls in the holos? Confused, Mara ate her food in silence, only nodding as Luke talked about the Academy, missions and his family.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asked finally, when she nodded a "yes" to his question whether he should finally turn to the dark side or not. "I've been talking weird for the past minute and you haven't registered it yet." He said when her eyes regained focus.

"I... was... Actually, I was wondering what Janson was thinking when he hid this data card under your bed." she answered truthfully and nearly smirked when she saw his faint blush.

"When you were away on this latest mission for Karrde, I had a small get-together at my apartment, only the Rogues. You know, for the sake of old times. No wives allowed, because Janson or Hobbie would just get frustrated again. Soon, it turned out that my fantastic friends intended to hook me up with some girls and every one of them brought various holos." Luke sighed heavily before continuing "I guess since I refused to look at those Wes brought he put them under my bed... And you happened to be at the receiving end of his prank, I'm sorry."

"Are you sure that it was just a prank?" she asked, not believing her best friend could be so oblivious.

"What do you mean?"

"Well... Since all of your friends want to hook you up with some girl, maybe that's what you should do." she said, amused at seeing a rather unfriendly expression on the Jedi's face.

"I wouldn't dare to, as you say "hook up" with anybody. I doubt that any woman would accept my lifestyle for a long run."

"Maybe you're right, with you being a monk and all..." now she laughed, not caring if he'd be mad at her or not. The look on his face had been priceless.

"I'm not a monk, Mara and you should be the one to know that best. You've seen me in many different situations and... and you're baiting me." he finished, all anger gone from his voice.

"Of course I am, you silly Jedi. Remember, a trek through a jungle and I can see through anybody." Mara laughed. Skywalker really looked cute while sheepish and she really did love to push his buttons. Wait, where did that thought come from? "But, all jokes aside Farmboy, I really see you with a wife and a bunch of kids. It would suit you. Yet you continue to punish yourself for Force knows what and lock yourself from the rest of the Universe..."

"I don't think that I need to remind you about my all previous disastrous relationships, Mara. You were there to pick up the pieces when some of them backfired." he cut in her speech, not wanting to listen to the same lecture all over again. It seems that everybody concerned themselves with his matrimony problems nowadays. Han, Leia, the Rouges, Lando and now Mara.

"If you think it has something to do with your brush with the Dark side..."

"I don't know. All I know is that, apparently, I'm destined to live my life alone."

"Oh that's bantha poodoo Skywalker and you know it!" she waved her fork a little too close to his face. "You deserve happiness more than anybody in this galaxy, I refuse to believe in anything but that."

"Mara, please, I want to eat my meal in peace for once... I don't want you to lecture me like my sister! I'm an adult, you know!" he sa
  20. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Nice the banter between Mara and Luke

And with Leia and Talon intrigue forming?
  21. LexiLupin Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Is Ghent the naive one... or Luke? [face_laugh]

Mara baiting Luke- always fun.

Wes pranking Luke- even better. :D

You know, I have red hair and when I was younger (like, 10), I used to think it'd be awesome to have green eyes (so I could be like Mara) or grey eyes (so I could be like Tenel Ka). Instead, I have blue eyes. So... like Ben, I guess? :confused: Not quite as exciting. Ah well.

I love Karrde and his continual insistence that he is not, in fact, respectable. Sound like any other smuggler we all know and love? ;)

Looking forward to more and finding out what craziness abounds with Fey'lya!
  22. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    Fact two ? Mara liked what she saw.

What woman wouldn't ;)

I think Luke needs a slap upside the head here. She likes you gosh darn it! You don't have to be a monk for the rest of your life!

naïve Zakarisz Ghent who was now 9 years older, but no less naïve. The quality seemed to apply to all computer geniuses

Oh! How I love Ghent! Most probably because I am doomed to marry a guy like him and not a Jedi. Ah well.

Interesting. I wonder what that bothan is up to now. I wish Canadian politics was as half as interesting as GFFA politics. My undergrad classes would be so much more entertaining.
  23. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Bless Winter for making sure Leia doesn't work herself into the ground :p and can enjoy family moments that once they're gone, are gone. :(

And the kids will remember that Mommy was not there and not give a diddly squat that she had "important cosmically relevant work" to do. o_O

Woohoo! See? The Rogues know what L/M won't or can't admit. I love Luke's holding out for the real thing - that is definitely in character. =D= :)

And yoohoo! Mara's in it for the long run - all she needs to be is asked. [face_batting] [face_dancing]

And Mondra, you like Trek? [:D] !!

Can we talk? [face_laugh] Oh, but I could go on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! about a certain -- pairing, oh yes I could and have! LOL

Across all fandoms, they're my OTP!

[face_love]

24. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Ha! Mara liked what she saw. She's right Luke needs to settle down. I really like the banter between Luke and Mara. Keep up the good work. I like where this story is going.
  25. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, Luke should be encouraged to date... Mara. ;)

I always enjoy the exchanges between Leia and Karrde. :)
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade