Beyond - Legends In the Fog (18ABY, L/M, the Solos, Rogue Squadron, etc.; action, humor, romance.Ch 10 UP - 7.03.12)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mondra, Dec 28, 2011.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    You're dang right Mara liked what she saw. Now she needs to do something about it. [face_mischief] I love how you're writing Luke and Mara having fun together! And it was great to see Karrde. I wonder what's up and what info he has for Leia. Can't wait for more!!
  2. Mondra Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi! I wish you a Happy New Year! And to all you dragons out there - this year will be awsome for us! (I'm talking about chinese zodiac) :D

Thank you for your comments, they give me a push to write more!

earlybird-obi-wan - Thank you! Intrigue will be forming, but at a slow pace. I hope it will not be too boring. ;)

LexiLupin - Thanks! I would do many things to have natural red hair... But I like my brown eyes, so I guess that would be impossible with red hair. And Karrde is one of my favorite SW characters. ;)

Briannakin
    - I don't see many Jedi running around here, so a computer geek is not such a bad choice. My boyfirend works in a hospital, so I have to listen to his stories of awful diseses and corpses. [face_frustrated]. And believe me when I tell you you woudn't like Canadian politics to be "interesting" in that way. It's good not to read the news every day and be like "they did WHAT?"...

Jade_eyes - That's right, kids remember far more than adults think. And I do like Star Trek; I can't even begin to compare it to Star Wars, it's so different! I like the new movie very much, but I was raised watching the old series. ;) Spock and Uhura really are cute.

Jedi_lover
    - Thank you! Right now they both don't realize what they need, and it's going to take some time and a few interesting experiences to finally come to their senses... But I'm not telling anything else!

Hazel - I think Leia and Karrde make a pretty scary team - you wouldn't want them to be against you...

ginchy - Thank you! I know how to write Luke/Mara friendship, because I have 5 years of experience with my other half. But we danced around each other for half the time our favorite duo did :D.

Now, on with the story!
  3. Mondra Jedi Knight

star 1
    A/N: Thank you Jade_eyes for beta-ing this for me! [face_love]

Chapter 3

?So, what did you plan for today, flyboy?? Leia asked her husband as she entered the kitchen.

?Well... First, silavka soup with noodles, then some correllian steak and for dessert I have a pie that's sitting in the oven right now, so don't open it!? Han said while wandering around their spacious kitchen. He seemed to be doing five things at a time.

?Oh... Why shouldn't I?? It seemed that Leia was totally oblivious when it came to the art of baking.

?Because then the pie won't grow, and it'll be ruined, my dear wife. You don't know a thing about cooking.?

?And you are one hell of a diplomat only if you have a blaster in your hand. We complete each other perfectly. By the way, when are those angels of ours coming back?? she asked looking around for any signs of mini-apocalypse in range.

?You mean our domesticated mynocks? Threepio hasn't contacted me yet, so I guess for once everything is going according to the schedule. They should be here in a few minutes. Until then, let's savor the silence.? answered her husband while laying the cutlery on the table.

?Since when has my scoundrel smuggler liked silence??

?Since our kids first came back on summer vacation from the Academy. I never knew what I had until I lost it.? he said with his trademark smirk. ?But I guess now I have one more thing to look forward to. You have to think positively in life, Your Majesty. So, how was today's Senate session??

?I want to erase that five hours from my life. If I knew that the Bothans would be such a major pain, I wouldn't suggest them joining the Alliance.? she sighed ?But I suspect nothing serious is going on. At least I think I would be able to feel it if something bad would be about to happen...?

The doorbell rang, but she didn't need it to know that her brother was coming. Leia smiled to herself; Luke had such a bright presence that she wouldn't be surprised if the non-Force users could feel him. Her brother appeared before her, grinning from ear to ear, apparently in a good mood.

?What is it, baby brother?? She asked as he came closer to hug her. ?You look quite good.?

?Are you suggesting that I don't usually look good?? he smirked in a very much Han-like way.

?I wouldn't dare. But you do look better than your average.?

?I had a good sparring session yesterday. I'm not proud of it, but to be the usual serene Jedi Master I need to vent some frustration now and then.?

?And what got you so frustrated?? asked Leia raising her eyebrows.

?One Wes Janson, who thought it would be swell to put a data-card under my bed filled with some not-so-innocent holos. That Mara found while I was in the shower.?

The siblings heard a snicker from the kitchen, followed by a barely audible ?ha!?. And than his brother-in-law emerged, still in an apron, followed by Chewbacca.

?Why Leia says that I look good, when you look ten times better?? Luke eyed his friend. ?I wouldn't be able to put on an apron and still look so dashing.? the Jedi grinned.

?Oooh, you wound me. Well, she got used to seeing me every day, so maybe she doesn't notice my charm anymore.?

?You men are both idiots, you know?? Leia sighed in defeat. ?Now let's get those presents ready before the fearsome trio arrives.? Chewie growled his acknowledgment and pulled some large boxes out of the closet.

The birthday party went better than expected. The twins were obviously happy with their presents, and the adults were even happier with Han's cooking. Anakin clung to his uncle's hand all the time, sulking a little bit (his presents were smaller and it took a great deal of explaining on Luke's part that it was, in fact, his siblings birthday, not his), but overall he was happy to be in the center of Luke's attention. He wasn't attending the Academy yet, so he wanted to squeeze every second of those few moments his uncle was around on Corruscant.

When the kids were finally in their beds (thanks to Threepio's good night stories), Han, Leia, Chewie and Luke decided to have a drink and enjoy
  4. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    ?Kid, if you're not good partner material, then ninety percent of the galaxy's males should just put a blaster shot right through their brains. You're causing us to have an inferiority complex.?

More like 99.999999% of them should. Luke does not give himself enough credit at all.

Yup, Fey'lya is up to something fishy alright! Why doesn't that surprise me?:rolleyes:
  5. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    ?Speaking of teasing... How is your love life??

Wow, Han is sounding just like my Dad.

Loved H/L teasing Luke and I really loved H/L at the beginning.
  6. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    ?Kid, if you're not good partner material, then ninety percent of the galaxy's males should just put a blaster shot right through their brains. You're causing us to have an inferiority complex.?

He ain't just whistling dixie. So true. Luke would make a great partner for a certain redhead named ginchy... I mean, MARA. Yes, Mara. [face_love] ;)

Love your Han and Leia and loved your Han, Leia and Luke banter even more. Excellent update!!!
  7. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Luke is a great guy, but I get his point...how many women could handle worrying about her husband all the time? Luke is always off fighting Sith Lords, getting eaten by Waru, killing rancors, getting thrown into a coma by the spirit of a dead Sith Lord, fighting off clones, Vong and Imperials all the time...come on, it will take a special woman to handle that type of lifestyle. That is the reason I was always confused as to why it took Luke so bloody long to figure out Mara was the only woman for him. Remember her Luke? She saved your butt twice on Wayland! She's the one! Kiss her you fool!

Oh yeah...very nice post!
  8. earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One

star 6
    love the banter between the twins and Han and Chewie are so teasing.

Nice post
  9. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 7
    Super H/L banter at the beginning; and Han's teasing Luke - perfectly in character. ;) And Garm's activities - the Imperial schemes he's picked up on [face_thinking] Can't wait till they tie all that to the Bothans :p as they will [face_shame_on_you]

10. Mondra Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thank you all for your comments! :D

Briannakin - Oh, the cruel truth... But I guess somewhere there still are good men, right? The problem is to find them. Maybe they're hiding like Luke? ;)

Hazel - Thanks! Your dad sounds scary... :D

ginchy - Thank you! You're lucky that Mara isn't lurking somewhere here in the boards... or is the?

Jedi_Lover
    - don't even remind me of that incident with Waru! And you're right - Luke doesn't need just any woman - he needs one that could put up with his lifestyle...

earlybird-obi-wan - banter is one of my favorite things in the universe, so you will see some more of it in this fic! :)

Jade_eyes
    - Thank you! In these chapters I'm slowly introducing the plot and hoping it will make sense in the future. I also have a couple of cliff hangers up my sleeve... ;)

Now; on with the story!
  11. Mondra Jedi Knight

star 1
    Chapter 4

Rummaging through a stack of datapads, Borsk Fey'lya couldn't help but feel a bit gleeful. This time his campaign was planned flawlessly. He had his people in the streets of every major world of the New Republic, he had a plan that the public would like, he was sure never to miss a chat with a holojournalist. The only thing he needed now was to somehow ridicule his greatest adversary and the Chief of State's position would be his; the realization of every Bothan's dream ? power and influence in the Galaxy.

He had a plan and everything was going smoothly. He thought about every option and every gap and got rid of it; today, everything was set into motion. He chuckled at his opponent's stupidity ? and this bunch of idiots thought they were fit to lead the New Republic...? Finally, he found the datapad he was looking for and tossed it into the fireplace. He looked as it melted and left his office after calling a cleaning droid.

Luke woke up with the first rays of sun, as he always did and last night has been relaxing and fun, so he slept very well, which was a rare occurrence. But, he reflected as he was fixing himself breakfast, peace and quiet are always too good to last, at least in his life. He frowned as he remembered Bel Iblis's haste departure. Of course, vacation wasn't meant for people like him. He let out a long cleansing breath and, deciding worrying will do him no good, started to munch on his breakfast. Absentmindedly he turned on his holonet device and almost spit out his food when Borsk Fey'lya's face popped out on the screen.

?The current government cannot handle the present situation in the Republic? said a deep voice of a known holo-star while various images of galactic conflicts were shown in a manner of a slide show. Luke rolled his eyes when he noticed some 10-year old holos of conflicts long settled. ?What the Galaxy needs now is a trustworthy, strong leader who can swiftly deal with the problems of regular beings.? Now images of Fey'lya shaking hands with various beings flooded the screen. ?There is only one such leader. Don't forget the election in two standard months ? you can save the Galaxy by voting for Borsk Fey'lya!?

The Jedi sighed and regarded his bowl of Correlian cereal with contempt. There were few things or being who could make him loose his apetite and, unfortunately, the irritating Bothan was one of them. He forced the rest of the meal down his throat (?never, ever waste food, Luke!? the voice of aunt Beru in his head was as loud and clear as always) and when he was rinsing his bowl in the sink, his comlink chirped, indicating an incoming transmition.

?Skywalker.? he muttered into the receiver, not even bothering to check who was calling.

?Hey, boss, hope I'm not disturbing.? Wedge Antilles's cheerful voice gave Luke a start, but he collected himself pretty fast and grinned.

?Hang on, Wedge. On screen.? his grin became wider when he saw his old friend's face. ?How have you been lately? Are you on Coruscant now??

?Yep, I'm on Coruscant and missing Iella terribly, but don't tell her that if you meet her by any chance. It's been too quiet for me, so I'm bored out of my mind doing paperwork. You know the feeling.?

?So, are you calling because you're bored or...?? Luke raised his eyebrow. He didn't believe for one second that his former wingmate was bored. Not with the Rogues keeping him company. That is why he must have had an ulterior motive for calling him today, especially so early in the morning.

?You know, I'd love to hang out and grab a few drinks like in the old days, but I'm afraid that's not why I'm calling. But of course, you already know that.? Wedge smirked at his friend's amused grin. ?I received a message in the middle of the night from my wife. She's been on a mission for about a week now and it seems she would like a little help from my friends, if you catch my drift. She also said that Cracken is not so happy about it, but she thinks it's the best option. And you know there's no arguing with my wife, even if you're the head of NRI. She doesn't take
  12. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    ?Luke went to the 'fresher, discarding his sleeping robes on the way. Artoo squeeked loudly and extended his claw to grab the crumpled garments.

?I'm sorry, Artoo. I'm just feeling lazy today.? Luke chuckled and the droid let out an offended beep that the Jedi thought meant ?You just wait for a day when I'M feeling lazy!?

Oh Artoo! He has helped saved the galaxy dozens of times and this is the thanks he gets.

?Why everybody seems to think that we work well together is beyond me.? Mara groaned and rolled her eyes. ?We argue all the time.?

Like an old married couple! Which they should be by now.

Another great chapter. I can't wait to see what happens next.
  13. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Yay! L/M team work [face_dancing]

Also great scenes with Wedge and Talon
  14. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Luke and Mara off on a mission. That is always a good thing.

How do we know that? I am sure Yoda had a mother. I can see her now nagging him:

"Who ever heard of a 900 year old bachelor! I know, I know...the no attachment rule. I'm sure you put that rule in place yourself so you would have an excuse to not give me grandchildren. All the other mothers in my neighborhood have holos of their grandkids and greatgrand kids. What do I have? A photo of your pet snake on Dagobah. And how are you going to find a wife on that planet? You need to get out and circulate, meet people! Oh, oh, now you say the Emperor is out to kill you. There is always an excuse as to why you can't find a nice girl and settle down!"
  15. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 7
    Mondra - your pacing is perfect in building the plot =D= It neither drags nor feels rushed.

Loved the Wedg/eLuke and Talon/Mara conversations.

:D

They do work well together (L/M) -- they do other things great too ... but that comes later in the story, LOL [face_mischief]

16. CurtisZidaneZiraa Jedi Master

star 1
    Liking it! Sounds really interesting.
  17. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    If it weren't for the crazy Bothan I'd almost think Luke and Mara were being set up on a blind-date. [face_laugh] I adore L/M team-work and can't wait to see where all of this leads them... Loved Luke's conversation with Wedge. Excellent update!!
  18. Mondra Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thank you guys for reading! I may slow down with uploading new chapters now, because tomorrow I'm going for a trip to Nara and next week will be quite busy at work, but I will do my best! :)

Briannakin - most of the SW characters are alive because of Artoo - he doesn't get the credit he deserves! ;)

Hazel - Thanks! I always enjoy writing Karrde and Rogues.

Jedi_Lover - You have a talent for making me laugh - fortunately it's not office hours right now. :D I guess Yoda's mum must be the most powerful being in the Galaxy...

Jade_eyes
    - Thank you! I like to concentrate on details, which is why I sometimes loose the main plot on the way. But I guess with you as my beta I will not stray from the right path. ;)

CurtisZidaneZiraa - Thank you! Of course "there is no try", but I will try to update quite frequently.

ginchy - I love matchmaking fanfiction - especially when it's Karrde who does the matchmaking... But this time it's strictly professional (at least that's what everybody says ;)).
  19. Mondra Jedi Knight

star 1
    A/N: As always, a huge "thank you!" to my wonderful beta, Jade_eyes! My auto-correct insists on changing the names of various characters and I'd be lost without her...

Chapter 5

Winter Celchu glanced at the small crowd gathered in one of the NRI conference rooms and smiled to herself. That bunch would give any other officer a headache in the first thirty seconds of debriefing, but she learned years ago how to deal with them.

Wes Janson was, as usual, being his loud, obnoxious self, this time annoying Wedge. Derek ?Hobbie" Klivian was standing behind him and rolling his eyes at his best friend. Gavin Darklighter, Inyri Forge and Pash Cracken were sleeping with their heads on the table, three cups of caf steaming nearby, while Winter's husband Tycho tried, in vain, to wake them up. The doors opened and Corran Horn sauntered inside in a very Correllian way, followed by Mara Jade and Luke Skywalker.

"Boss!" Wes cried in delight as soon as his eyes fell on Luke.

"Wes." Luke said threateningly and glared at his former wingmate, but before the conversation could proceed,

Winter decided it was time to get started.

"Tycho, could you please resort to more brutal methods?" she asked her husband, handing him a glass of ice-cold water.

"Hey, I thought you guys are peace-loving Alderaanians!" Wes snickered and his eyes gleamed in anticipation.

"We are." the couple said, turning their expressionless faces towards the other pilot. A shiver ran down Wes's spine. Those two could be scarier than Darth Vader if they put their minds into it.

A few moments and a lot of spluttering curses from the sleeping trio later, Winter could start the debriefing,knowing she had the crowd's full attention.

"As you may know, our Intel detected some unusual Imperial activity in the vicinity of Iphigin. With the help of Talon Karrde's organization we started digging deeper and found traces of some suspicious credit transfers. Additional information is in the memory cubes of the datapads in front of you. And I think I don't have to remind you that it is strictly confidential." She calmly regarded every person in the room "Concluding, our field agents and Karrde's men were able to trace some of the credit transfers back to Aoda system."

"Stop giggling, Janson" She heard Wedge mutter.

"Now, we will be divided into three groups for this mission. First group will take care of the Imperials on Iphigin and trace the suspicious credit transfers." Winter raised her eyebrows at Wes and Wedge, who were now engaged in a poking battle. "The second will check Bothawui's bank systems, especially the one that twenty-three percent of shares belong to Councilor Fey'lya. The third group will join our cell in the Aoda system." She paused and looked at her audience. "I think you know why Rogue Squadron was selected for this job, am I right? We absolutely can't let any of Councilor's associates know that we're, in fact, spying on him. We can't let anyone know that. I know it may seem to you that what we are doing now is unethical, but the NRI deemed it necessary. Now, if any of you would like to back out of this mission we trust you not to compromise..."

"Winter, are you joking? We are the Rogue Squadron. We don't back down from missions." Gavin scowled and crossed his arms. "Besides, we all know that Fey'lya is not an innocent baby and we have a reason to check where he gets his credits from. Who we vote for has nothing to do with our work, am I right or am I right?" he asked, turning to his fellow wingmates.

"Yeah, if Mon Mothma or Leia were doing something as suspicious as he does, we'd have to do the same. No offence." Corran turned to Luke who nodded in understanding.

"So, if everyone's participating, the groups are as follows." Winter glanced at a piece of flimsi she was holding in her hand. "Team one: Forge, Horn, Cracken. Team two: Janson, Klivian, Darklighter, Celchu. Team three: Antilles, Jade, Skywalker. Is that clear?" After a round of nods, Winter turned off her datapad, gathered the flimsis scattered around the table and looked at th
  20. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Love the way Winter takes charge around the Rogues. =D=

Poor Leia! Cursed holopress.
  21. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Idiots! It's a secret mission therefore you don't tell the public what's going on! Its like reporters asking a general, "where are your troops located and what do you think their major defense weaknesses are?"

I hate the press.

Nice chapter!
  22. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    I loved Winter dealing with the Rogues. She's like their mother.

Great chapter
  23. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 7
    Loved Winter with the Rogues - LOL about the ice water and Leia being so poised with the press.

Luke's exchange with Artoo -- I'm sorry Mondra, but at the moment, rofl! I can't read the word "Artoo" without ... cracking up. ;)

Ahem ... I'm just glad he's purely himself and not infected with anything in particular [face_laugh]

24. earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One

star 6
    Winter and the Rogues[face_laugh] and Leia and reporters. They are always a pain in the posterior.

Nice update
  25. Mondra Jedi Knight

star 1
    A/N:Thank you all for comments and I'm very sorry for such a long wait! I've been very busy at work and I had barely time to breathe, much less to read and write. I tried to stay up-to-date with my favorite fanfics, but that excluded any possibility of writing... But I'm blabbling. I'm very sorry, I'm not going to answer your comments today because I'm so tired I'll drop dead if I don't get some sleep; I just wanted to update and get rid of the guilt. ;) A big, fat THANK YOU goes to Jade_eyes for being my wonderful beta! So, on with the story!

Chapter 6

When Mara, Luke and Wedge landed in Ao'n's biggest city, Harete, they were greeted by a few government officials and an annoyed-looking Iella Antilles. When the formalities were over, she led them to the New Republic's embassy where they were to unpack their luggage and meet the other operatives.

?What is it?? Wedge asked his wife when they entered their speeder. ?You look like you found a bantha poodoo in your shoe today.?

?Almost.? Iella growled, but then glanced at her husband and her gaze softened a bit. ?But it's good to see you, love.?

?You too.? The Rogue Leader nervously glanced over his shoulder at Luke and Mara sitting in the backseats. ?I... um...?

?Spill it, Antilles. Pretend we're not here.? Mara said and smirked. Luke just rolled his eyes at his former wingmate.

?I missed you quite a lot, you know....? Wedge said after a short pause and was rewarded by a grin from his wife. His tough fighter pilot exterior didn't allow him to say things like that in front of other people very often. But Luke and Mara are not just any people, right? He thought and returned the smile.

?It's been a month... That combined with the bureaucracy here was enough to give me a headache.? Iella said with a sigh.

?I know what you mean. For the past month I was sitting on Coruscant, catching up on paperwork."

?Good boy.? the NRI agent smirked and jabbed her husband in the arm.

?As much as I hate to disturb you when for once you're being all lovey-dovey, I have to ask you a few questions, Iella.?

?Good to see you too, Mara. Go ahead.?

?This whole An'jiu bunch, do you have some solid data on them yet?? the Trader asked, unfazed.

The Intel discovered a separatist organization on the planet that was rumored to be less-than-peaceful. Supposedly, they despised the New Republic and would like to separate from it. The important question was ? would they want to become independent or join the Empire? The Aoda system itself was not famous or wealthy, but the proximity to the Core and the fact that the whole sector depended on their crops was enough for the NRI to get involved and dig a bit deeper into the matter.

?I think we are closer to infiltrating them than ever before. They are very secretive and don't recruit new members often.? Iella sighed and glanced at Mara in the rear mirror. ?But agent Tian was able to contact one of their cells and is in the process of gaining their trust. That may take quite a long time, but it may be worth the effort, and we'd also like her to introduce one of you to them. A Force-sensitive can come in handy." Iella turned right and slowed down. "All right, here we are.?

The New Republic embassy was a large, elegant building in the quiet part of the city. Surrounded by trees, it almost looked like a holiday villa of a wealthy family. Iella parked the speeder in a small hangar adjoining the building and led them to the main hall.

?Unpack your stuff and we will have a meeting at two o'clock local time. I will introduce you to the rest of our operatives and hopefully we will come up with some ideas how to infiltrate the An'jiu. And you, husband dear...? she turned to Wedge and a goofy smile blossomed on his face ?...you come with me.? She took his hand and they both practically ran to what must have been their room.

Luke and Mara were left alone in the main hall and they both looked at each other awkwardly.

?So... um.. See you in a few.? Luke said and went to his designated room trying to quench the feeling of je
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade