main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

In the interest of Star Wars Games...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by KorFallon, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KorFallon

KorFallon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 2001
    Should I get an x-box or a PS2? All the reviews i read are split down the middle. Thanks for the help.

2. Kenobi217

Kenobi217 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2002
    I would go for PS2, if you're looking for Star Wars games. They have a wide variety; starfighter games, racing games, and soon a bounty hunter action/adventure 3rd person game. They also have a good library for when (if?) you get tired of SW games. Just my opinion, anyway.

3. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
  4. JayFank

JayFank Jedi Master star 1

Jun 24, 2002
    PS2 = Large gaming library. But most of them are pitiful half-ass games. All their current Star Wars games out now are racing or flying sims. no fun at all. they have the clone wars and bounty hunter coming out. But they don't look as good as Knights of the old republic and jedi knight ii for xbox. xbox will also have 200 games out before their one year anniversary. more than ps2 put out in their first year. xbox will have a better online gaming too. Ps2 is only worth getting if you want final fantasy and grand theft auto. if not, then xbox is the best system there is.

5. Kenobi217

Jan 7, 2002
    I can't say I agree..in fact, right now, I'd say that PS2 has a better game library than X-Box. And Racing and Flying sims are fun, look at Rogue Leader, that's a flying sim, and being hailed as one of the best GC games, if not THE best. PS2's online gaming is currently free with the adapter, so I've heard, so you can't really beat that. KOTOR looks good, but if you don't (or even if you do) like it, you're sort of stuck there. I'd still recommend PS2 for the best Star Wars games.

6. JayFank

Jun 24, 2002
    Rogue leader is the ONLY good flying sim i've played. PS2's star wars library is sad. Racer revenge? who wants to play that? I like action adventure games. Games that XBox brings. I was a big ps1 fan and ps2 let me down. horrible system in my mind

7. Kenobi217

Jan 7, 2002
    I don't see any action adventure games for X-box, unless you want to count Obi-Wan, which was supposedly horrible anyway. The PS2 is coming out with Bounty Hunter and clone wars, which are gonna be good, especially Bounty Hunter. Most of the SW games on the X-Box are also on PS2, but the difference is the PS2 has other games to back it up.

8. JayFank

Jun 24, 2002
    PS2 has games to back it up like? Calm down. Any more of this sort of flaming and you'll be banned. jp-30. Obi-Wan graphically isn't a good game. But it's fun if you like star wars. and Clone Wars is gonna be just like the phantom menace on ps1. You are biased. you've probably never played xbox. Halo is one of the better games of the year. Metal Gear Solid is coming to XBOX. PS2 won't have a chance this winter. XBOX has 70 more games to release before Christmas. PS2 has like 45. Sony is worrying about the ps3. Sony has two games for their franchise that they've been built on. Final Fantasy and GTA. Final Fantasy is going to GC and GTA is going to xbox as well. PS2 doesn't have an exclusive title of their own. That's hurting them. Jedi Knight II, KOTOR, Mortal Kombat, MGS, GTA, Indiana Jones, Bruce Lee, are all GREAT GAMES COMING TO THE XBOX.

9. JayFank

Jun 24, 2002
    GameCube has the best games to market. Metroid, Zelda, Mario. They've always been around, and they're exclusives. That's what helps them. PS2. Yes, they got a big library, but 80% of their games are poopy. GameCube, small library, good games to choose from. Same for XBox. GC and Xbox both have great graphics. And ps2's online is free. but you gotta worry about dial-up people. slow connections lagging your game. Xbox's is Broadband exclusive. and i rather have that. 50 dollars a year's not that bad.

10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The topic states In the interest of Star Wars Games...Should I get an x-box or a PS2? .

If you're talking general console games, there's PLENTY of alternate threads, as Obi_Wan_01 has kindly linked above.

Keep this on STAR WARS games, please, as the threads author asked, otherwise there's no point in keeping it open.

11. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    If you are big into RPGs, I would suggest X-box since it will have Knights of the Old Republic and Galaxies. PS2 will only have Galaxies. It's unclear if the console version will have all the features of the PC one. Both consoles has Starfighter, and Jedi Starfighter, but I believe the X-box has enhanced versions. I have the PS2 versions because they came out first. I think of the two, only PS2 is getting Bounty Hunter and Clone Wars. I might be mistaken about that. Clone Wars is a vehicle action game with missions similar to the end of AotC, but also includes planets not seen in the film, like Kashyyyk. It also allows you to do some missions on foot with Anakin, Obi Wan and Mace. Sorry, no Yoda that I've heard of. Bounty Hunter lets you play as Jango Fett tracking down bad people and bringing them in. I believe it's a third person shooter. I don't remember hearing anything about it being a first person shooter. Playstation also has Racer Revenge, which is good but very short and easy, and Bombad Racing which is certainly not as good as Mario Kart. It's actually not very good at all in my opinion. If you throw in games for the PS1, there is also Phantom Menace (avoid at all costs), Jedi Power Battles (opinions vary, but I found it entertaining), Teras Kasi (amusing as a Star Wars game, but not as a fighting game), Dark Forces and maybe a few others that I'm forgetting, which should tell you something about them.

12. darth_melvin

darth_melvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2002
    (I posted most of this in the "PS2 or Gamecube" topic. But this topic is probably as much or more relevant (the abbreviated topic name threw me off) - so if you've read it there, disregard here.)

I'm about ready to replace my N64 console with a new one (I also have a PC). Which one do I get? From a Star Wars POV (and this is a Star Wars board) I think I'm about to settle on... Gamecube.

Consider...
    Gamecube has:
    Bounty Hunter
    Clone Wars
    Rogue Leader (so far, exclusively)

That means, the only games of note that I can't get on the PC are:
    Jedi Starfighter (PS2, Xbox)
    Obi-Wan (XBox)
    Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox initially)

Now KOTOR will be ported next spring to PC, and Jedi Starfighter will probably also go across to PC like it's predecessor Starfighter did. So that means the only "loss" is Obi-Wan on Xbox (which might make it over to PC, who knows) - a loss that might be balanced out by the "evil Bill Gates" factor."

(Plus, IMO the only console games worth playing that aren't available on PC (RTS, shooters, etc.) are exclusive to Nintendo: Metroid,Zelda and Mario.)

13. Kenobi217

Jan 7, 2002
    Calm down. Any more of this sort of flaming and you'll be banned. jp-30.

Clone Wars is gonna be just like the phantom menace on ps1. You are biased.

Ok, so let's see here, you're judging a game that hasn't come out yet, that you probably haven't even played, for a system you probably don't have, and you're calling me biased?

Final Fantasy and GTA. Final Fantasy is going to GC and GTA is going to xbox as well

I can guarantee you that GTA isn't, if you go to gamespot.com and check it out under the X-Box games, you'll see that it says that sony made a deal that keeps GTA off any other consoles. I didn't see Final Fantasy on any upcoming games list for GC, and we're not even talking about the GC anyway.

Sony has two games for their franchise that they've been built on.

Yeah, ok. The ignorance of this statement is astounding. If you knew anything about the PS2 library, you'd know that there are a lot of other great games besides those two.

Ok, getting back to Star Wars games here.

If what Darth Melvin said is true, and KOTOR is coming out on PC, then there's no real reason to buy an X-Box for SW games, unless you want Jedi Outcast, which is coming out this november, when the PC version will probably cheaper, along with free online play.

So that means, the only game on X-Box you can't play on PC or on PS2 is: Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan's rating from Gamespot.com: 4.6 out of 10. From IGN.com: 5.9 out of 10.

The only PS2 games you can only play on PS2 are: Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, Star Wars: Clone War, Star Wars: Racer Revenge, and Super Bombad racing. While Super Bombad Racing isn't that good, most of the other ones are, or most likely will be. Racer Revenge's rating from Gamespot.com: 7.1 out of 10. From IGN.com: 8.4 out of 10.

You make the call.

14. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    PS2 has games to back it up like? Man, you're an idiot

Better than being a moronic Microsoft Fanboy.

Whoa whoa whoa, calm down sparky.

15. Kenobi217

Jan 7, 2002
    But he started it![/six year old]

16. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    I love my PS2. I bought it for 2 games basically, one of them being SW. I highly recommend PS2.
    You have to remember that you can play alot of the PS1 games on PS2.

I have not gotten an Xbox yet, but I doubt that I will be getting the SW games for that if I do.

That is what I have to say about that. Keeping to the topic, like the moderator asked.

17. KorFallon

Jun 24, 2001
    So is it bascially Game Libary vs. Really Good Graphics?

18. darth_melvin

Jun 18, 2002
    <<If what Darth Melvin said is true, and KOTOR is coming out on PC, then there's no real reason to buy an X-Box for SW games, unless you want Jedi Outcast, which is coming out this november, when the PC version will probably cheaper, along with free online play. >>

It is coming to PC - this is from lucasarts.com
    "Availability: Xbox Fall 2002 / PC Spring 2003
    Genre: Role Playing
    Platform: Xbox, PC Windows"

<<The only PS2 games you can only play on PS2 are: Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, Star Wars: Clone War, Star Wars: Racer Revenge, and Super Bombad racing. While Super Bombad Racing isn't that good, most of the other ones are, or most likely will be. Racer Revenge's rating from Gamespot.com: 7.1 out of 10. From IGN.com: 8.4 out of 10.>>

Bounty Hunter and Clone War WILL be on Gamecube as well, not just PS2. (also from lucasarts.com) So the only thing left is the racing games - which aren't so hot IMHO.

So in my estimation, the winner is still... Gamecube.

19. Kenobi217

Jan 7, 2002
    I know, D_M..I would have reccommended GameCube, but the thread's creator asked if he should get a PS2 or an X-Box. He didn't say anything about a GameCube, so I assumed he had decided he didn't want one.

20. KorFallon

Jun 24, 2001
    Also in the equation are good baseball games and the Gamecube doesn't have any so its between PS2 and X-Box

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Unless there are Star Wars Baseball games I'm unaware of, that does not enter into this equation at all.

EDIT: OH. You're the thread starter. LOL. Well, maybe it does enter in, but not for the purpose of THIS thread. :D We have plenty of other Console vs. Console threads to use for general discussion & recommendations.

22. Kenobi217

Jan 7, 2002
    Hehe, thanks JP-30...

Dear LucasArts,

I have a wonderful idea for a new Star Wars game..

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  24. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    You know what....that would be pretty cool. A baseball game of SW characters. The teams could be from the different worlds. You could have a team of Gomorreans, Wee-Quays, Chiss, Wolfmen, Gotals, Bith, Bothans, Sullastans, etc.

Pretty cool.

25. darth_melvin

Jun 18, 2002
    >>I know, D_M..I would have reccommended GameCube, but the thread's creator asked if he should get a PS2 or an X-Box. He didn't say anything about a GameCube, so I assumed he had decided he didn't want one. <<

I missed that from the "In the interest in Star Wars games..." title. It made me think consoles in general - sorry.

"In the interest of baseball games..." might be a better title though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.