1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Gold Coast (21st-23rd April), Melbourne (28th-30th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (25th-26th March), Adelaide (1st-2nd April)

FF:WA In the land of non-SW, its presence is made known...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by FaLLeN-AnGeL, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wedge3210 Jedi Master

star 5
    I was just reading Bret Ellis' "The Informers". It's basically a collection of short stories based around young, snobby, rich kids that take their lives for granted.

Anyway, one of the story's characters has his father die in a plane crash. When the ranger is taking him to the crash site, he describes the initial image of the body being like that of Darth Vader. He then goes on to describe the remains in a lot more detail, if you've read any of his stuff you'd get the idea.
  2. soneil Jedi Padawan

star 4
    There's a movie on tv at the moment called Wrongfully Accused. A rather silly Leslie nielsen one. I just saw a woman being shown to her seat at the theatre and the usher's torch projected a lightsaber blade complete with the authentic lightsaber sound.
  3. Princess_Lego Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Same movie.
    Leslie Neilsen gets squashed by a coffee table and does the frozen in carbonite thing.
  4. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Just going through the comics...
    There was [link=http://www.burstnet.com/gifs/13418.gif]this[/link] banner at the top of the page... :)
  5. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well I finished reading another Jeffery Deaver book last week called The Devil's Teardrop. Really psycho book, but it's a great read... Anyway, it is riddled with Star Wars references, so here we go...

1. Robby was at Parker's feet, accompanied by Han Solo and Chewbacca.

(Ok, this next bit is kinda long, but rather amusing.)

2. Parker opened his attaché case - a portable document examination kit. It was filled with the tools of his trade. Also, it seemed, a Darth Vader action figure. A present from Robbie.

"'The Force be with you,'" Cage said. "Our mascot for the night. My grandkids love those movies."

Parker propped it up on the examination table. "Wish it were Obi Wan Kenobi."

"Who?" Lukas frowned, shook her head.

Hardy blurted out, "You don't know?" Then blushed when she glanced at him coldly.

Parker was surprised too. How could somebody not know about Star Wars?

"Just a character in a movie," C.P. Ardell told her.

3. "Aren't you a good Catholic, Parker?"

"Not me." He was a lapsed Presbyterian who found the theology of Star Wars more palatable than most religions.

4. "They're driving me into bankruptcy. And all this Star Wars money. I can't figure out what it is. They're keeping me confused on purpose."

5. Two dozen toys were on the floor, a Nintendo 64 plugged into the old TV. Star Wars posters on the walls. Luke Skywalker. And Darth Vader...

6. Parker held his empty right hand out to the boy, palm up. Then with his left he offered him Robby's Star Wars Mullennium Falcon spaceship.

There you have it. I gotta find out if the author is a Star Wars fan, or if he just wrote them in as bonuses or whatever. Either way, that's two of his books that I have read that have them in it. Mind you, I have only read two of his books so far... I'd read a lot more if my library had them in! Anyway, yeah... :)
  6. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Ahhh April Fools Day, it brings the fool out of everyone...

Anyway, I was catching up on my webcomics today and I stumbled upon an [link=http://www.funnyfarmcomics.com/d/20020401.html]April Fools Day[/link] comic for [link=http://www.funnyfarmcomics.com]Funny Farm[/link] :D
  7. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The news have been talking about Mick Malthouse and John Worsfold and referring to them as the Master and the Apprentice. Although they may not actually be Star Wars references, I find it highly amusing that that is what they have been called, especially with the upcoming movie...
  8. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Ok, you know on ROVE how they have the funny bits and pieces in the credits? Well tonights was 'Astronaught Turn-Ons' and the very last one was 'Ewoks'!! :) :D [face_laugh]
  9. DarthDatorri Jedi Youngling

star 1
    At this year's Big Day Out, I caught a few SW references.
    1.There were Eskimo Joe simglets for sale. They were old-school green and gold basketball singlets, with the number 77 on the back with the name Skywalker.
    2.Someone was wearing a Silverchair t-shirt which followed the TPM 3 3/4" figure packaging - with Daniel Johns in the blister.
    3.When Silverchair played on the main stage, they opened with a sample from Star Wars (can't remember which one though)

Also, a couple of years ago I went to Brisbane for Livid, and when 28 Days came on stage, they opened with Duel Of The Fates. Their DJ (named Jedi Mater Jay, funnily enough) then started mixing it with House of Pain's Jump Around.

Oh yeah, there's a heap of SW references in Toy Story 2.
  10. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Was watching the Simpsons the other night. It was the episode where Homer got the bucket glued to his head. He went and got it x-rayed and it looked very Vaderish.
  11. Toniwaan Jedi Youngling

Then there is the very first Star Wars parody.... Spaceballs!!!
  12. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan

star 4
    A couple this week...

I don't know how many of you watched the Logies last night, but I was spending time with my lil sister, so I watched it... Anyway, the Umbilical Brothers were presenting an award for Sports coverage or something like that, and they were making all the sounds for what was shown on screen for each story or whatever... One of the shots was the typical "Oh, I've won. I'm going to shake a bottle of champagne and spill it over everyone..." So there was this frothing bottle of champagne and one of the brothers says "Oh no! My lightsabre is melting!" :D [face_laugh]

The second was was in the comics on Saturday. It's kinda titled "Unsuccessful Hollywood Pool Party" and it has Robocop (from Robocop), C-3P0 and R2-D2, The Robot (from Lost in Space) and Robby (from Forbidden Planet)... They're all kinda lying around (or maybe floating around) with coctails and beer bottles and stuff like that...
  13. MarkI Former TFN Games Staff

VIP
    star 1
    There's that episode of Friends (one of only two I've ever seen) where one of the gals dressed up as Leia.

There have been plenty of references in Stargate SG-1 & Farscape.
  14. Jedi_Nat Jedi Master

star 5
    Damn you MarkI - you took my Friends thingy!

Anyways the episode he was talking about was from Series 3, Episode 1 (I'm a huge Friends fan and have all available episodes on tape). It's titles "the one with the Princess Liea Fantasy". This is what the back of the cover says: Ross' secret fantasy doesn't stay secret for long after he confides in Rachel. Much to Joey's dismay, Chandler begins to rekindle his relationship with ex-girlfriend Janice after becoming strangely attracted to her again whilst corresponding over the Internet.

Anyways at the end of the episode Rachel dresses in the slave girl outfit that Leia wears in Jabba's Palace.
  15. Darth_Soup Jedi Youngling

star 3
    ......But has the cinnamun bun hairdo from ANH... :)
  16. Jedi_Nat Jedi Master

star 5
    Ah, yeah, she does too! It's been so long that I've seen the episode - I only remembered about it the other day.
  17. Chilli Jedi Youngling

I dont know if anybody watches buffy... but there is always heaps of references to star wars tonight... like tonight i was watching it and there was a scene in which Spike(a vampire) threatened to destroy an authentic boba fett figurine from 1979 which meant quite a bit to 3 star wars fans.
  18. MarkI Former TFN Games Staff

VIP
    star 1
    Taped that last night, great stuff.
  19. Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

star 6
    there is heaps of simpson star wars things. One of them is a rip off of the teaser poster for EP1 [it has bart casting a shadow of homer] there is one were there is a cloud version of Vader saying "luke, i am your father"
    I cant remember all of them, but there is a bunch.... and lots of take offs on Futurama.
  20. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan

star 4
    In Just Shoot Me tonight, Mya was trying to help Nina with something or other... Anyway she said "I will be your emotional guide..."
    And then Finch chimes in with "What, like yoda?"
  21. Chilli Jedi Youngling

this one reall doesn't have much of a reference... more like a rip-off.

Flicking through channels today i found some random cheesy show called passions. some chick was possessed or something and she used Palpatine-style Force lightning on some old hag. quite funny stuff....
  22. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Hahahaha Passions rocks! I mean... Ummm... [face_blush]
  23. Jedi_Nat Jedi Master

star 5
    I was walking through one of the arcades in the city when passing a coffee place that had a coffee called "Java the Hut"....
  24. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Watching Everybody Love Raymond just now... Raymond and Robert are standing by the fridge when Ray stands up and Robert asks him "What?" and Ray says "I uh, sense a great disturbance in the force..." <enter Marie> Robert says "You gotta teach me how to do that!"
  25. MarkI Former TFN Games Staff

VIP
    star 1
    That reminds me, there was another reference in the Rove Live credits last week. If I remember correctly, it was something like Ice Cream Store names and one was, of course, "Attack of the Cones". Correct me if I'm wrong.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.