main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist More randomness, two new sketches as of 7/4...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Kaleesh-Cyborg, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Kaleesh-Cyborg

Kaleesh-Cyborg Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 4, 2017
    *deep breath...exhale* So it would seem I have finally dredged up the guts to do this. *taps claws nervously* As of right now, my art is limited to pencil sketching because tiny living conditions prevent me from having the desk space to use my laptop and Wacom, however, once those conditions change, I plan to go back and do colored versions of these drawings.

Anyway, first sketch: profile view of my NST character Grievance Vexx.
    [​IMG]
    The more I look at this one, the more I really do like the way this one turned out. It is extremely difficult to convey emotion on a character like this, but I think there is a pretty clear expression coming through the eyes, which are soft as though to imply he may be listening to someone (perhaps his master) and trying to understand a complex lesson.

Second sketch: scene from the NST combo post with dragonsith13 when Grievance awakens to find he has been captured by Draconis.
    [​IMG]
    This one is basically my inner love for storyboarding coming out. I referenced the conceptual images used in Draconis' character sheet to try and get his look as accurate as possible, but I don't know if I'm entirely satisfied with the end result, so I am open to any and all suggestions for improvement (that of course includes any suggestions the character's creator aka my master may have for me). I was also drawing this on a fairly small sketch pad, so Grievance's size is not what it should be.
    On a side note, for inspiration while drawing this, I was listening to "The Beast" by Sabaton and I think the song really fits well with the scene of Draconis capturing and torturing Grievance.

Third sketch: a portrait sketch of Darth Insipid because his character sheet image is strikingly cool and he is our supreme Sith authority figure Sinrebirth . *deep bow of respect* Now (hopefully) improved with a second take on the drawing below the original.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This one needs some work, I know. The eyes do not look right to me, so I'm going to call out to HanSolo29 for any advice on fixing this. That aside, I was trying to capture that look that we sometimes see posted by the emperor-god, quirking a brow at a brazen peon, perhaps plotting a satisfactory way of expelling and/or exterminating said peon. I did take the liberty of garnishing his clothing a little bit, trying to push a regal look there. My apologies for the flaws, almighty smiter. I will be updating this one and the one above it as I try different techniques to improve the appearances.

Fourth sketch: Reiis Invadator. I drew her pre-cyborg as Anakin.Skywalker writes her with such determination and defiance, it begs to be drawn in the facial expression.
    [​IMG]
    Again, I'm not entirely satisfied with this one. Humans are so frustrating to draw. I'm sure there will be improvements made to this one as well.

Fifth sketch, requested: every Sith's favorite Wookiee, Darth Ravenous.
    [​IMG]
    I apologize if he is not entirely accurate, WookieeRage . I was going largely on your character sheet images, but more so on your written description. If there is anything I need to tweak, let me know. I had a lot of fun drawing him.

Sixth sketch, requested: Minerva and Thrawn share a romantic moment.
    [​IMG]
    Nehru_Amidala , I know your request was an actual kiss, but I had this really good look going in those moments before lips touch lips and I just went with it. I really like the look and pose of Minerva, plus drawing a kiss often obstructs the view of facial features on characters and I really didn't want to lose what I had with Minerva's look. I can draw it again if you like and draw the actual kiss. Just let me know.

Seventh sketch, requested: part two of the Minerva/Thrawn romance requested by Nehru_Amidala.
    [​IMG]
    I'll be honest. This is the first time in the history of ever that I have drawn a scene like this. It was a challenge because I had to get past my own qualms with certain facial features being obscured, but I think overall, it turned out kind of okay.

Eighth sketch, gift: nihilistic_nihilus 's Sith character, Darth Nocturne.
    [​IMG]
    My buddy and I already discussed that his character's story and my character's story are briefly intertwined, so the Kaleesh half mask and the Sheelal cloak clasp are gifts from Grievance as gratitude for Nocturne's aid to Kalee. I really had fun designing the mask.

Ninth sketch, requested: Halle Dray 's Sith character Kwea Acantha.
    [​IMG]
    I went a little bold with this one after reading her character sheet and tried to capture the spirit of a female warrior, hence the attempted dynamic pose. I ran out of paper drawing the extended arm holding the lightsaber and posed her free hand as though she may be about to throw out some Force-lightning. The angle is supposed to be from behind and to the side, but I'm not sure that is clear at a glance. Sometimes it looks right to me and then it doesn't. In any case, Halle Dray, if there is a detail I missed, please let me know and I will adjust/fix/update.

Tenth sketch, gift: for the Headmaster of the KoD, Draconis aka dragonsith13 in return for an unmerited favor. I told you, sir, that it was not taken lightly.
    [​IMG]
    And I can't draw a straight line to save myself, sober or not, so I gave the sword a unique edge to cover my flaws. X(

Eleventh sketch, random doodle: just my character glowering down from the rafters.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, thanks for looking and, again, critiquing is most welcome.

2. dragonsith13

dragonsith13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    You.... have a secret talent apprentice...

3. Master Vo

Master Vo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2017
  4. Kaleesh-Cyborg

Jan 4, 2017
    dragonsith13
    Thank you, Master. I don't know if it's true talent, but it is another creative outlet for me to be sure.

Master Vo'Un'Var
    Thank you. :)

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm glad to see you finally got around to posting your sketches, Kaleesh-Cyborg! They really look great!

You have a very distinct style, especially in the second one depicting the scene between Vexx and Draconis. I can totally see where you took inspiration from storyboarding. Hmm...have you ever considered using markers? I think your style would adhere to them quite well.

And moving onto the portrait – I will do my best to point you in the right direction. You mentioned that you don't think the eyes look right, so I will start there. :) The quirk in his expression may be throwing it off a bit. The right eye (his left) is on an odd angle; I would even that out and perhaps squint the opposite eye a bit to really emphasize that lifted brow. The eyes themselves are also too close together. A rule of thumb that I use, is you should be able to typically fit a third eye in the middle at the bridge of the nose. Moving onto the rest, this may be a style choice since I know you are basing this more on the animated Son character, but the nose is a little elongated. The tip of the nose should end about halfway between the eyes and the upper lip. The lower lobe of the ear should also line up with the tip of the nose, so that should give you an idea on where the placement should be. I would perhaps lower the ear and bring the nose up just a tad. The cheekbones are also a little too high and uneven.

Hopefully that wasn't too harsh. You are definitely on the right track, and like I said, I think some of it has to do with the stylized approach that you're using. If you need anything clarified or have any additional questions, please let me know! :)

6. Kaleesh-Cyborg

Jan 4, 2017
    Storyboard artist would be my dream job if I had the formal education to acquire such an occupation. I wanted to have that type of job since I was a youngling. I have entertained the idea of markers, just haven't hit the right type that won't bleed on or through the type of paper I use. I go for a very fine line and it swells up to a fat coloring book line. So frustrating. Any suggestions on reliable brands that won't behave this way?

Not harsh at all. I greatly appreciate the honesty. I knew there was a lot of misproportion in the facial features for sure. You've narrowed it down so I can more precisely target and fix the problems. For instance, I knew the eyes were uneven, but that was all I was seeing. You have pointed out other things that I wasn't paying attention to and it really helps looking at the sketch now. I will definitely be doing some editing and reposting it for further critiquing and again, thank you for your honesty and pointers. They will not go unheeded. :)

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Kaleesh-Cyborg

No problem! I'm happy to help where I can! :) I look forward to seeing the updated version whenever you get a chance to post it up!

As for markers, I personally love to work with Copic Sketch. They have a wide nib and a brush nib, and you can use them essentially like a paint brush. They blend very easily as well. You may still have some issues with bleeding through to the backside of the paper, especially if you're a heavy blender, but I've found that bristol board works fairly well. The only downside with the Copics is they can be on the expensive side ($5.99 per marker), but they are refillable. If you want to go for a less expensive option to get started, I would look into Prismacolor. That's the set I started out with before making the switch.

8. Kaleesh-Cyborg

Jan 4, 2017
    HanSolo29
    Hmm...I will probably have to resort to online shopping for such markers as I live in rural no man's land where the closest mall is a tractor parts shop. XD Ugh...I do miss being close to Hobby Lobby. I used to haunt their clearance aisle for sketch pads and pencils. I even found a light board in there once--the light-in-a-box required for traditional animation that has sadly become extinct. *pauses for a moment of silence*

Aargh! You mentioned Prisma and I've been dying to get my claws on the colored pencils so I could experiment with them. I know a lot of artists who can do some beautiful work and they will swear upon those things. They are not cheap though. $20 for their cheapest set. Eventually I will relax my pinch on the pennies and get them though. Just have to finish my house hunt first. I will keep my eyes peeled for the Prisma markers and see how high they run if Walmart carries them.

9. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I don't blame you there. I don't rely on the retail stores to carry anything I need – it's been too hit or miss. I do most of my shopping online through Dick Blick or Amazon. The former carries a wide range of markers (you can buy sets or individually), so I would definitely start there. Ah, yes...I know what you mean with those light boxes. ;) I took a traditional animation class in college, and we used them quite often. Too bad that everything has moved to digital today.

They are quite nice! The only issue I have with them is the lead is very soft, and they break way too easily. Just sticking them into a sharpener can butcher them. Other than that, they blend beautifully, and the color selection is great. I like to combine them with the Faber Castell polychromos. I use the Prismacolors for the base and the initial blending stage, and the polychromos for the details. Hmm...I'm not sure if Walmart carries them (I haven't really checked for art supplies there), but if you have an AC Moore or Michael's in your area, they should have them there. :)

10. Kaleesh-Cyborg

Jan 4, 2017
    *makes note of online resources for art supplies* Hobby Lobby carries a pretty good selection, but unless it turned up in the clearance aisle, it was usually pretty pricey. Honesty, I wish they would revive traditional animation, but it's not likely. Where it used to take two to four years to complete a full length animated feature film, digitally it can be done in six months to a year. Ultimately, it's cost effective. Less artists, less paychecks issued. And they can rake in the profits from the released film twice as fast. Granted, there are several digital films that I really like, but I do wish they would bring back traditional animation.

Ooh...definitely wouldn't be running those through my electric sharpener that sounds like a garbage disposal. Walmart does sell the most basic set (probably the least expensive one is my guess). They used to run around $14 a couple months ago, but since the tv ads started popping up, they've jacked the price up to $20. Never heard of AC Moore. I think I've heard of Michael's, but it's not a tractor parts store, so it's not in my area. :p

11. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I've never tried Hobby Lobby; we don't have one in my area, but do you know if they carry that stuff online? To be honest, it never really occurred to me to check there. And I wish they would as well. I mean, I do understand the reasoning behind wanting to get a film out there as efficient as possible and within budget, but there's something special about traditional animation that is lost with the computer. To look back and think that they used to create a full feature-length film by hand is simply amazing. If you get a chance, I recommend checking out Waking Sleeping Beauty. It's a documentary about DFA (Disney Feature Animation), and it covers the time period between 1984 and 1994 – the Disney Renaissance. It's really interesting and gives you some great insight into the entire process.

Oh, it's not just the electric sharpeners...depending on the lead, they don't like any sharpeners. Sometimes you need to sit there with an x-acto knife and whittle away at the points by hand. ;) Haha, of course they jack them up with the new commercial. I'm not sure how much you're willing to spend, but I just checked Dick Blick, and it looks like they're currently running some decent deals on the Prismacolor pencil sets. They have the 48 set for $26.38 and and 72 for $39.99. If you want to start out smaller, they have those as well. It all depends on what you want. :) The marker sets are a little more expensive, but that's to be expected.

12. Kaleesh-Cyborg

Jan 4, 2017
    Oh, yes. I just typed "pencils" in the search and this is what came back: http://www.hobbylobby.com/search?text=Pencils
    I will have to check out that documentary. Sounds like the type of thing I can stare unblinking at in complete fascination. I was thrilled when DVDs first came out and they had behind-the-scenes materials on them. I have probably watched those featurettes as much if not more than I've watched any given animated film.

Oh my. They should be called "fragilecolor pencils". I still might try them out though. Have you ever used watercolor pencils? They color like a normal colored pencil, but you can take a damp fine paintbrush and blend the color to look like it was done in actual watercolor. I have a set, but I have no idea where they are. Most likely in storage at the moment. Darn small house. *grumbles*

13. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Ah, excellent! Thank you! :)

Definitely! Let me just say I caught it on TV by accident, and it sucked me right in. I think they aired it on one of the Disney Vault segments they run every so often on Turner Classic Movies. And I know what you mean – in some cases, I find myself more fascinated by the extras and the other documentaries than I am in the feature presentation. :p

They are definitely worth a try. The nightmare scenario with having to use an x-acto knife is by no means the norm. You just happen to get a few bad eggs in every box. And I have never tried the watercolor pencils myself, but I have seen what others have achieved with them. They look like they can be a lot of fun. When I have a free moment, I should really start experimenting with some of these different medias.

14. Kaleesh-Cyborg

Jan 4, 2017
    People think I'm such a weirdo when I sit there and watch whole movies with the director commentaries turned on. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feasts on that extra stuff like it's candy. I just love learning about the process for creating such cool stories, scripts, and imagery. Can't get enough of it.

Ah, cool. I can deal with a few quirky pencils. Especially ones capable of producing such rich color and blending on some of the work I've seen. The watercolor pencils are a lot of fun to tinker with. I got my set at Barnes & Noble and I'm pretty sure they were around $12.99 for 24 pencils. Nicely boxed set too. :)

15. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Kaleesh...this stuff is awesome! You're really quite good.

Kaleesh-Cyborg likes this.
  16. Kaleesh-Cyborg

Jan 4, 2017
    Thank you. I still have much to work on, but this stuff and writing are what keep me (in)sane. ;)

17. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    Kaleesh-Cyborg

Niiiice!!! I love it, especially the expression you put on her face.

It was terrible she was mutilated but boy did she deserve it!

18. Kaleesh-Cyborg

Jan 4, 2017
    Glad you approve. Hopefully one of these days I will get these sketches colored and the portraits may look a little better.
    I had fun drawing Reiis with the added challenge of making her expression readable. Used a screen shot of Anakin as a reference for the expression.

19. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    Oh really. That's neat!

20. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Ah, I see you've updated Insipid! A big improvement all around – he's really coming along nicely! :) I think you've captured that pensive expression really well. I almost want to see the contour on the left side of his face be more subtle, but I know you're trying to capture a distinct style, so I think it could work the way it is.

Ooo...nice drawing of Reiis! She almost looks like she came straight out of a Disney film! I know, I know, Anakin.Skywalker doesn't like crossing fandoms, but in this case, I love what you did with the style. ;)

I have to say, I hope you continue forward with drawing characters and scenes from NST; I'm really enjoying this! :D

21. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    I've never ventured into this forum before now but I gotta give my fellow Sith my support!

Those drawings are so great, Kaleesh-Cyborg! I love the sketches of Insipid and Grievance/Draconis. Well done. =D=

22. Kaleesh-Cyborg

Jan 4, 2017
    HanSolo29
    Honestly, your eye placement/spacing tip really helped a lot with Insipid and I also applied it when I started the basics on Reiis' face. I think the cheekbones are still a little too pronounced on Insipid, but I like the look much better than the first draft. Thank you so much for giving me some pointers to help me improve my work on humans. And yes, I fully intend to continue drawing scenes and characters from the NST. :D

QueenSabe7
    Your support is most appreciated, your majesty. *respectful bow* Drawing Insipid and Grievance's capture/torture scene were my biggest challenges so far. So glad to have the queen's approval. :)

23. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Kaleesh-Cyborg

You're welcome! I'm happy to help where I can! :)

In terms of the cheekbones, looking at the drawing again, I think it might be the left side of his face. The concave is a little too steep. I think it will help to make that angle more subtle so that his face appears rounder.

24. Kaleesh-Cyborg

Jan 4, 2017
    Yes, that's the side I feel needs some work. I tried softening the line there, but I think I may need to erase the line entirely and put a fresh one in that is more subtle.

25. SavedByChristAlone

SavedByChristAlone Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2017
    Beautiful! I love Grievous and Insipid!