Saga In the Shadow of the Chosen: Episodes I-III (Obi-Wan, Anakin, TPM/post TPM) - - End of III, March 2!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by solojones, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    "I'm saying you've already done plenty of things to regret, you just don't know what they are. It's when you discover them, when you see the folly in something you've done, and you wish that you had it do over, but you know you can't, because it's too late. So you pick that thing up, and carry it with you to remind you that life goes on, the world will spin without you, you really don't matter in the end. Then you will gain character, because honesty will reach out from inside and tattoo itself across your face."- The Big Kahuna

In the Shadow of the Chosen: The Obi-Wan Kenobi Saga

[image=http://noerf.com/irk/shadow1.jpg]
    (click to see cover art more clearly)

Index:
    Note: Episodes I-III of SotC are posted in this thread. The other episodes that follow will each be posted in individual threads. It's not really necessary to read all of the episodes to understand any of the other episodes, as it's based on film canon, but you might want to ;) Here are links to each of the episodes within this thread.

Episode I: A New Beginning Complete Word Doc Version
    The events of TPM through Obi-Wan's eyes from the moment he meets Anakin Skywalker. Includes many missing moments.

Episode II: A Master's Legacy Complete Word Doc Version
    Directly following TPM, Obi-Wan and Anakin must adjust to the changes in their lives. But Obi-Wan must first confront the recent past and his touch with the Dark Side.

Episode III: Smoke and Mirrors Complete Word Doc Version
    Three years after the events of TPM, Obi-Wan and Anakin have one of their first missions. They are assigned to investigate disappearences of kids from an orphanage on Coruscant- a special mission at the Chancellor's request.

Episodes Posted in Other Threads:
    Episode IV: The Cure

Overall Summary: A character study of some of the defining moments and eras in Obi-Wan Kenobi's life as the mentor of Anakin and Luke Skywalker. This is a series of stories, so each one has its own plot summary. Based on film canon.

Rating: PG

Timespan: TPM-ROTJ

Notes: I had a really long thing here, but decided I didn't want to try to tell everyone what this story was. Let it be to you whatever you see it as. For me, it's a labour of love. See the above quote from The Big Kahuna, which summarizes what this story is about better than I can so succintly. All comments are welcomed, constructive criticisms included.

Disclaimer: George Lucas created many of the stories, characters, and settings in this story. Dialogue in a few scenes is straight from the films, but it will be obvious when this is being done. I give the credit for those words completely to GL and the other screenwriters. I don't think I've used characters or anything from the EU, as this is intended to be a take-off of the films. If I have, though, I appologize for not knowing who to give credit to for those ideas. The only EU I've used, to my knowledge, are the Clone Wars cartoons, and I give their creators full credit for those ideas.

In the Shadow of the Chosen
    Episode 1- A New Beginning

[image=http://www.noerf.com/irk/sotc1.jpg]

Anakin Skywalker was the boy's name. He looked so young, his face so open and honest as he gazed in admiration at Obi-Wan. "You're a Jedi too?" he asked in a tone of awe. Obi-Wan gave a small nod. "Pleased to meet you!" the boy said with an enthusiastic grin as he shook Obi-Wan
  2. Bekah_K Jedi Master

star 4
    This is an interesting look into Obi-Wan's thoughts on Qui-Gon's actions in taking Anakin from Tatooine.

I also think that Obi-Wan should have been explored a bit more in the SW Universe. He is, after all, a large part of it. :)

~Bek
  3. Sabe126 Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the pm :)

This looks like it was worth waiting for. You seem to have nailed Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon perfectly and it was easy to imagine the scene from Phantom Menace continuing in this way.

Interesting to see the first time that Qui-Gon chooses Anakin over Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon voicing his fears over the identity of his attacker.
  4. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    An interesting take on Episode I, solojones and since this fic is a labor or love, I know it will be a very good one.

~aeryn
  5. CrystalKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Solo this is going to be a great story. I enjoyed reading it this morning. I like how you are going to start from the beginning of the saga (TPM) to the ending of the saga (ROTJ). I think its going to very interesting to see how Obiwan's character changes as his life changes. I look forward to reading as you post.

*goes to turn on the active topic notification *
  6. GuerreStellari Force Ghost

star 2
    Yay! I've always thought Star Wars should be called "The Life and Times of Obi-Wan Kenobi."

Just, please seperate the paragraphs with a space, it makes things much much easier to read.

Also: Kevin Spacey?

Anyway, can't wait for the next post! Especially considering this isn't AU. It'll be interesting to see your take on Obi-Wan during some pivotal scenes from the films.
  7. Opal Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought that your Qui and Obi were spot on. I definately can picture that as a natural continuation of that scene.
  8. Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow. Very nice so far, solojones. Good characterizations, especially.

I'll have to watch this... ;)
  9. Captain_Observant Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wow...that was great!
    I loved the interactions between the characters!

I will definitely
    have to watch this one! ;)
  10. Laine_Snowtrekker Force Ghost

star 5
    I like this, but please format it so it's easier on the eyes.

I like the way you contrast Qui and Obi. They are two different people, and personalities, and conflict just a tad bit.

I would like to see more, solojones.
  11. Guinastasia Force Ghost

star 6
    Oooh, this is gonna be a good one, SJ!

:D
  12. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Wow, thank you all so much for the support, it's crazy! I am a complete dolt- I always forget to space between paragraphs! I'll make sure to do that from now on, thanks for reminding me :) Now some personal replies here (the next part of the fic is in my next post)

Bekah_k: Exactly! I think in the SW world, well marketing anyway, Obi-Wan is thought of as not as 'cool' so he can be downplayed.

Sabe126: Thanks for waiting so long! Let's hope I can make it continue to be worth it.

Aeryn_Sun: Well, you know, that love, it's like oxygen. Love lifts us up where we belong, all you need is love! etc ;)

CrystalKenobi: I'm flattered to have your interest since I know you're a big Obi-Wan fan of course :) Is it good that it's going to be TPM-ROTJ or just insane? ;)

GuerreStellari: Obi-Wan's story is definitely worth telling. And thanks for reminding me about paragraphs. Yes, it's definitely been interesting writing/extending scenes from the film... we'll see how that goes over ;) Oh, and well, Kevin Spacey is my favourite actor and well it's kind of become a JCC joke about my manual sig ;)

Opal: Characters being in character is my biggest pet peeve with fics, so I hope I can achieve that kind of a realistic feel. :)

Ty-gonn Jinn: Characterisations! Yay, w007

Captain Observant: More character comments. Good, good. Soon I will bring you all over to the Dark Side :p

Laine_Snowtrekker: Yeah that format really is tough to read, sorry about that. Oh yes, defintely more coming.

Guin: I'm glad you think so! Hope I can live up to that.

Thanks again to everyone for their support :) I'm trying to keep a post or so ahead of myself here so that I don't run out of stuff to post every day. I'll do my best, anyway!

-sj loves kevin spacey
  13. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Episode 1 Continued

As soon as they had landed on Coruscant, Qui-Gon requested a meeting with the Jedi
    Council to give a detailed report of their mysterious attacker. The Council was
    troubled at the prospect of the Sith resurfacing, but also a little incredulous.
    Obi-Wan wasn?t sure what to think. He thought it strange, as Mater Windu had
    pointed out, that the Council would not have known about it. But the Council could not
    seem to come to an agreement on the issue.

?With the Naboo queen you must stay, Qui-Gon. Protect her,? Yoda said, after some
    deliberation.

Back to Naboo, Obi-Wan thought somewhat glumly. It seemed this mission would truly
    never end. He and Qui-Gon had been on countless missions in the past, but they
    rarely spanned so many planets or involved so many parties. Obi-Wan?s mind had drifted
    for a moment, but was called back with familiar words.

?May the Force be with you,? Yoda said sincerely. Obi-Wan made a courteous bow and
    turned towards the exit. After a few steps, he noticed Qui-Gon had not yet followed. He
    hoped in vain that his Master would follow, but it was immediately clear that the Jedi
    was not finished.

?Master Qui-Gon, more to say have you?? Yoda?s distinct voice inquired.

Obi-Wan turned back to face the council, trying to hide his annoyance. He had known
    this was going to happen but had clung to some hope that Qui-Gon might change his
    mind. He was only wasting time and embarrassing himself and Obi-Wan, but the
    young apprentice wouldn?t dare to questions his master in front of the council. Instead
    he stood obediently and said nothing.

?With your permission, my Master,? Qui-Gon began, ?I have encountered a vergence in the
    Force.?

?A vergence, you say?? Yoda asked with cautious curiosity.

?Located around a person?? Master Windu added.

?A boy,? Master Jinn clarified, ?his cells have the highest concentration of
    midi-chlorians I have seen in a life form.?

Only a slight twitch of a cheek muscle betrayed Obi-Wan?s frustration. He had
    processed the data himself, but he still wasn?t sure it was correct. Besides, even if
    the levels had been correct, what did that really mean? It took more than
    midi-chlorians to be a Jedi, that much Obi-Wan was sure of.

?It is possible,? Qui-Gon continued, ?that he was conceived by the midi-chlorians.?

The Council exchanged meaningful looks as Obi-Wan struggled to contain his surprise.
    Qui-Gon couldn?t be proposing what he thought he was.

?You?re referring to the prophecy of the one who will be balance to the Force,? Mace
    stated blatantly. ?You believe it?s this? boy?? He sounded sceptical.

Obi-Wan realised that he had underestimate Qui-Gon?s interest in the boy. He had never
    imagined that his Master thought the boy such a key personage in Jedi lore. The
    Padawan?s disbelief seemed to be echoed by that of the Council members.

Now Qui-Gon seemed to realise the weigh of what he was implying, and hesitated. ?I
    don?t presume-?

?But you do!? Master Yoda interjected sharply. ?Revealed your opinion is.?

The Jedi remained unfazed. ?I request the boy be tested.?

?Trained as a Jedi, you request for him??

?Finding him was the will of the Force, I have no doubt of that,? Qui-Gon spoke with
    great fervour. ?There is too much happening here??

The Council members looked at one another, exchanging private thoughts. Obi-Wan shifted
    his weight slightly in impatience. There was a pregnant pause before Master Windu
    replied, somewhat reluctantly, ?Bring him before us then.?

?Tested he will be,? Master Yoda said, eyeing Qui-Gon carefully.

The Jedi and his Padawan bowed reverently before exiting the chambers.

14. LuvEwan Jedi Master

star 4
    Great job, sj. I look forward to more. ;)

And beautiful cover, too. :)
  15. Sheila Force Ghost

star 4
    This story looks very interesting, I really like the idea of getting inside Obi-Wan's thoughts about all the stuff that happened in the canon universe. I look forward to seeing where you take us. :)
  16. Terr_Mys Force Ghost

star 6
    Excellent work thus far, sj. I know you've come to expect such praise from me, but believe me, it's quite deserving. ;) I can definitely see all the hard work you've done in analyzing OW's character paying off in your writing. Excessive present participles aside, I think that when I've spoken to you about OW's personality and such, I've learned a lot about him that I hadn't really noticed before. I'm hoping your insight will continue to be expressed throughout this undertaking.

Anyhow, one thing that I've discovered (which is probably due to our obvious bias in discussion against him ;)) is that you've also really got a hold on Qui-Gon's character - he compensates for his lack of concrete, 'Jedi' principles by resorting to blind faith, primarily in Anakin. You've done a good job at capturing OW's practical temperment, which provides as the main source for conflict in these early stages with Qui-Gon. I also appreciate the general depth of insight into OW's subtler character traits revealed in your writing, particularly that sense of subdued anger that is only fully expressed at a couple points in the films so far.

I do think you should try to pace yourself, though. I know everyone will be eager to read more, but just take your time and your character work will show all the better. Also, try not to let this get lost in any extraneous diction. Obviously you've got a very good vocabulary, but consider that you're also trying to portray a rather succinct character ;). Maintain your focus on characterization and dialogue, but try to preserve a clarity of theme by using a well-paced, logical form. It might take a little more time to perfect, but knowing you, it shouldn't detract from the quality of your theme. You've got a great start here, and I can't wait to read more. :)

//Terr's review
  17. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I'm glad you like the cover art, I finally came to a design I liked and I'm very pleased with how it turned out :)

Terr: number one- analySe; number two- Who said I don't like TQG?! I would never say something like that :p I'm just portraying him in character. If that comes across as negative, well that's his fault isn't it? ;); number three- I will try to take my time writing, but do remember that I type faster than you ;) Thanks for the review buddy, it means a lot.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  18. CrystalKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Excellent second post. I have to agree with the others you have the very realistic characterization of Obiwan and QG nailed. I like your realistic characterization very much.

By the way when you get done with this story, I would curious to see what you can do with Obiwan's character during the JA series. I think you would do a better job then well you know who. You are doing a good job here.

Added note: I 'm printed out this story. I think down the road I am going to want to reread certain things and it will be easier toread on paper then on the screen. Hope thats okay.
  19. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Hmm, well I've been reading the JA series lately (I'm on book 10 I believe) and I have to say that I have some qualms with how certain issues have been handled. I've considered writing some JA era stuff, but right now I'm gonna focus on the film eras.

By the way, I have the next two posts completed already... I just like to taunt people ;) Some interesting original scenes coming up that I think shall be...well, interesting. We'll see.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  20. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Hey, question real quick. Would you guys tell me if that edited first post now is in an ok format? See it's different for every computer... what looked good at home looked horrible here. I'm trying to decide on a format that everyone can read easily... thanks. :)

-sj loves kevin spacey
  21. CrystalKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    The format looks good to me.
  22. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Ok, thanks. Let me know everyone if any of these have a weird format and I'll be glad to fix it. I've been told different things because different computers are... different. Yeah. Shutting up now :p

Episode 1, Part 4

A few hours later, the two Jedi stood with Anakin outside the Council Chambers. The boy was anxiously chewing on the inside of one cheek. Qui-Gon knelt down next to him. ?Try to relax. There?s nothing to be afraid of.?

?I?m not afraid,? Anakin said boldly, lifting his chin a notch.

Qui-Gon smiled. ?I know you?re not.? The Council door slid open, and the boy gave the venerable Master a questioning glance. ?Go on in. I?ll be here when you?re done,? Qui-Gon said. Anakin nodded and entered the Council chambers, leaving Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan outside to wait.

?It will be at least an hour before he?s done,? Qui-Gon said. ?Why don?t we stretch our legs? It?s been a while since we?ve been here anyway.? His apprentice nodded in unspoken agreement.

They walked along the busy Temple hallways silently. Obi-Wan was trying to figure out why the council had entertained Qui-Gon so much about the boy. He was almost positive that they wouldn?t accept Anakin for training; the boy had been through too much to simply have his mind reprogrammed to an entirely new lifestyle. It was wrong to get the Jedi Master?s hopes up.

Qui-Gon easily sensed that Obi-Wan wanted to say something to him, but knew the young man was only comfortable speaking with him in private. ?It?s a lovely evening,? he said, motioning towards the door to the west balcony, ?why don?t we go outside?? The Jedi Master gazed appreciatively out over the beautiful site of the sunset as he strolled onto the veranda, Obi-Wan following at his side.

Obi-Wan didn?t want to upset Qui-Gon, but he felt someone needed to keep his hopes for Anakin?s future grounded in reality. ?The boy will not pass the Council?s tests, Master,? he said, letting more of his annoyance creep into his voice than he had meant to. He felt Qui-Gon?s mood shift. ?He?s too old,? Obi-Wan added, looking away. The argument was only a fraction of what was really on his mind. He could think of half a dozen reasons why Anakin should not and would not be trained, but his confidence always seemed to falter when Qui-Gon disagreed with him.

?Anakin will become a Jedi. I promise you,? Qui-Gon replied with firm assurance. Obi-Wan knew the tone all too well. It always came when his Master had his hearty set on something, especially something the Council and others disagreed with.

?Don?t defy the Council, Master,? Obi-Wan pleaded, ?not again.? He had grown weary of Qui-Gon?s constant defiance. Sometimes he understood the elder man?s reasoning, but at other times such as this, he simply wished his Master weren?t so stubborn.
    Qui-Gon?s reply was predictable. ?I will do as I must, Obi-Wan.? He turned and walked over to the railing, gazing out over the endless city illuminated by the glowing sunset.

Still, Obi-Wan was not quite ready to give the matter up. ?If you would just follow the Code, you would be on the Council,? he said, following after Qui-Gon. He said nothing in reply. ?They will not go along with you this time,? Obi-Wan finished in frustration. He meant it, too. Master Qui-Gon was an extremely well-respected Jedi, but sometimes he flat out defied the Jedi Code. It was unfathomable to the young man. He had insisted to Qui-Gon many times that if everyone refused to follow a set of rules, there would be chaos, but the Jedi Master had always wholeheartedly disagreed. The battle was an exhausting one which Obi-Wan felt might never end.

?You still have much to learn, my young apprentice,? Qui-Gon said, a hint of amusement creeping into his voice as he placed a friendly hand on Obi-Wan?s shoulder. The young man remained grave, and looked away from his master to watch the speeders zooming about the city below him.

It was at times like these that he wished Qui-Gon would take him a bit more seriously and treat him like an adult instead of an inferio
  23. Terr_Mys Force Ghost

star 6
    I've already given you my thoughts, so...I'll just say...very nice work. ;)

Can't wait to read the section...after next... section... ;) :D *giddiness*
  24. CrystalKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Wonderful Solo. I could picture them having that very conversation in my mind. It seemed so real the way you told it.
  25. thebadge Force Ghost

star 4
    Impressive, Most Impressive!

thebadge
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.