main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit "In the Shadows of Our Fathers." - The Star Wars: Legacy Re-Read Project

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    For grunts n' chuckles, I made some relatively minor tweaks to Luke's stats from the JA sourcebook and playtested him against the One Sith from the Legacy sourcebook. All of them.

Pure. Carnage.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    West End Games loved overpowering the movie heroes. But damn if they weren't fun. :)

Of course, Wizards gave characters levels based on their ROLES in the story versus their historical accuracy.

Technically, Krayt was more powerful than Palpatine because the latter had a level in Noble while Krayt was all Force-User (both were 20th level). It's why I always wanted to introduce epic levels to Wizards.

I guess WOTC *WANTED* your PCs to have a ghost in hell's chance against Vader.

Crazy!

3. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Nah, you goota look at their Use the Force modifiers ;)

(This was all using d20 rules)

4. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    At first I was skeptical about Legacy. Back in 2006/2007 I was reading only KOTOR. I think I got myself to read Legacy sometime in 2008 IIRC, and I fell in love with the story right away. I have to admit though, Cade was never, and still is not my favorite character, since he reminds me a bit of Anakin (obviously it is intentional that he reminds us of him). But, characters like Jeriah Sin, Deliah Blue, Wolf Sazen, Treis Sinde, Bantha and others are one of my favorites. I hope we see more of Legacy v1 characters in V2 :D

Shadow Trooper likes this.
  5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    This is going to confuse you but I'm going to do this re-read in the TPB format than the actual issue one because it makes more sense to do so. I'll finish up Issues 6, 7, and 8 *THEN* do Issue 4# a.ka. "Noob."

Star Wars: Legacy
    Broken
    Issue 5#

[​IMG]

Cover Thoughts: Wolf and Shado with "Moff Konrad Rus"? That is an interesting trio to have together, though it makes sense in the book. I've got to say the resemblance to Henry Gibson is quite well done and I love how he has such a bold white color-scheme.

One of the things I learned in film-class and from the THX DVD release of "Return of the Jedi" was George Lucas said that the black/white dichtonomy was a mistake if you want your good guys to be really memorable. Luke had a white color scheme in ANH but that represents his innocence as opposed to his goodness. It's as both he and Han (black) mature in the books that their clothes gain colors.

The Empire is made of stark black, grays, and whites with Stormtroopers every bit as white as Luke. Konrad Rus wearing all-white is a nice way of establishing that he's a figure hiding in the mantle of good when he's actually evil to the core. I also feel that keeping white as a color of absolutism and not good is a excellent idea since it avoids the unconscious racial stigma.

Synopsis: Darth Krayt consults the Sith holocrons of Darth Bane, Darth Andeddu, and Darth Nihilus. They are less than impressed with him. Cade Skywalker and company arrive on the rendezvous planet only to be ambushed by giant monsters as is the thing that happens in Star Wars. Remember kids, environmentalism kills. Actually, I've always liked this as it's one of the most clearest call-backs to John Carter and Flash Gordon. Our heroes have it handled but Wolf and Shado intervene anyway to slay the monsters. Marasiah tries to stiff Cade but gets interrupted by Talon attacking. Talon proves her badass credentials by taking the entire Team Good Guy on by herself and only loses because Cade throws a starship at her.

Badass.

We also find out that Konrad Rus is a traitor when Astraal Vao calls him to give him updates on their location.

Issue Thoughts: I have conspicuously avoided taking about Wolf and Shado, which is a shame because I do love these two characters. Let me rectify it now. They're, IMHO, the most interesting Jedi Knights the Star Wars universe has produced in decades. I rank the Jedi Knights this way: Luke Skywalker, Yoda, Ben Kenobi, Mace Windu, TUF Jacen Solo, Vergere, Wolf and Shado, and TCW Anakin. Kyle Katarn gets an honorable mention but only because he works for me as a really-really crappy Jedi who is fun because he sucks at it. Bastila Shan gets to share the award due to her arrogant but curiously alluring snootiness.

It was a stroke of genius going back to the Jedi Knight's Samurai roots. Wolf is the One-Armed Jedi and Shado is, though we rarely get to see it, a Ninja. If somehow Master Zao from "Republic" survived to the Legacy period, we have effectively got Zatoichi thrown in too. The resemblance between Jedi and Samurai is somewhat skin-deep since, like Medieval Knights, real-life samurai were complete shuttas but they're wonderful in their mythology. Just like, again, Medieval knights.

*puts in Samurai Champloo theme 'Battlecry'*

It goes just beyond surface similarity, though. Shado and Wolf have an attitude which is very distinct from the Prequel Jedi. There's a slight sense of arrogance, confidence if we're being generous, and a heavier mysticism as well as willingness to wander around the galaxy following the Will of the Force.

Very "Chambara."

I wouldn't mind exploring the idea of them serving the Republic as a way of promoting the Force the way the Imperial Knights serve the Emperor (and are even more samurai-like). The Legacy Jedi are "earthier" than the Prequel Knights and, honestly, seem tougher w/ the possible exception of the four Prequel Jedi I mentioned above.

There's a great moment where Marasiah Fel uses the arrival of the Jedi Knights to call out the trio for their as-yet-undone betrayal (which she suspected from the beginning).

[​IMG]

It's my favorite Marasiah Fel moment, even trumping her later bit where she tries to talk Cade Skywalker out of his funk. Not the least bit because her outfit is FABULOUS. Also, I've got to say, I consider it my headcanon she got those lips as her Sweet Sixteen present. Because, really, there's no way she hasn't had SOME work done. But yeah, I fell a little in love with Marasiah here and it's a tragedy we never get to see more of her. I'm not at all happy with her current characterization in the comic.

I also love the causal moment where Wolf and Shado find out they've found Cade in what's probably a week's time of looking for him, which goes to show you what you can accomplish when the Force (and plot) is on your side. Cade Skywalker dares them to call him out but Wolf simply acknowledges his former padawan is not the person he left behind. It's a powerful moment and I liked it. I suspect Cade, rationale or not, blames his Master for never finding him. It's what happened with Aurra Sing and the Dark Woman.

Darth Talon has an introduction here which puts her above Darth Nihl IMHO. Darth Talon attacks our heroes with no backup and manages to hold her own. It's only when facing the Force-Powerhouse of Cade Skywalker that she gets defeated and only temporarily. While her attire, or lack thereof, looks ridiculous--I tend to think Darth Talon is the Darth Maul or Starkiller of the series. She's the real "heavy" of Krayt.

No, she doesn't kill anyone but she shows no fear facing the group and they aren't able to defeat her despite vastly outnumbering her. It makes me wonder what sort of lightsaber style she uses. Form IV? Juyo? Reverse-grip Shien? Yes, I am that much of a nerd.

Darth Krayt's conversation with Bane, Andeddu, and Nihilus also reflects an interesting idea I wish could have been explored more. The idea of the One Sith as pretenders. I like the idea of them as Anti-Jedi and there being something OFF about them that irritated all of the previous Dark Lords. It had to be more than the Rule of Two, though, since that's a relatively recent addition to the Dark Side's legacy. I also would have liked to have seen Darth Krayt have a conversation with Palpatine, Kaan, or Malak. Dooku would have been awesome because I'd love to get his opinion on the subject from a contemporary to a contemporary.

My impression of Darth Bane is about what I'd expect, though I think the orbalisks look like salad on his head. Andeddu has a name which doesn't really reflect "Undead" and I would have gone with something more obvious like "Darth Andead" or flat-out "Darth Lich." People who complain about Darth Nihilus having a holocron should note he's never been a mindless voice of hunger. He's been a very MINDFUL force of hunger. After all, he had a Bright Sith padawan in Visa Marr. Hmm, I wonder if she's related to Darth Marr.

Probably not.

6. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Gotta agree with Charlemange 19 on Wolf Sazen and Shado Vao. These 2 guys were much cooler Jedi than all the cookie cutter Jedi we had been getting form the PT and post NJO eras. I also really liked the Imperial knights, especially Tries Sinde, and Azlyn Rae. These Jedi are what I expected out of Luke's order, not the PT copycats his order got turned into during the Denning verse.

Force Smuggler and Charlemagne19 like this.
  7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I enjoyed the "cultural posturing" between the Imperial Knights and the Jedi too. Things like Ganner and Antares saying that one Jedi is no match for two Imperial Knights, only for Shado to go, "Oh Rrrly?" The general sense the two groups are friendly but rivals was appreciated. I also think Tries Sinde was necessary because, until then, the Imperial Knights seemed more Imperial Royal Guard than Jedi while the role of Sinde could have been played by a Jedi but was played by an IK--showing they're as much descendants of Luke's Jedi Order as the Jedi themselves.

8. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    I hate how this issue showed Krayt being laughed at by the other Sith. It really made me hard to take him seriously and this problem became even worse when I found out his true identity was A'sharad Hett. On a completly unrelated note, I feel Krayt should have given the Nihilus holocron to Darth Nihl, imagine all the enlightening talks about nothing those two blokes would have!

Tanjint and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I didn't have much of a problem with it because Krayt still took over the galaxy. I also love it as a set up for Wyyrlok's "rebuttal" to Andeddu.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Not to beat a dead Bantha, but why is it that Wolf has one arm again? :p

I was never really a big fan of either Wolf or Shado, but recognize their obvious importance to the story. Cade's former Master & best friend and all. I frankly always thought Astraal had a lot more story telling potential than her brother did. Too bad she never really got fully explored.

I gotta play catch up a little.

Darth Talon, fan service at its finest. Like a gender bending cosplayer. Her killing Elke Vetter was kinda her moment but overall I never really took to her as a character. I guess she fills a role, that of the bad ass One Sith female, but she is so one dimensional.

Roan Fel returning to Bastion and being greeted by the loyal 501st is fan service of a different kind, and brilliant at that. That is such a great scene. Roan sticking to the plan instead of rushing off to save his daughter is a great character building moment. He truly puts the Empire ahead of everything, even his own family.

Luke makes his first appearance as well. I admit I think the story didn't needed him in the least, be he a death stick illusion or Force Ghost. If Cade wasn't going to be a Jedi to honor his father he certainly wasn't going to do it for some relative he never even knew. If Kol had been inserted in every scene they used Luke in I feel like the scenes would have had much more meaning and emotion.

I also liked Krayt's meeting with the Holocron. It added a great deal of nuance to him overall. He might be a Sith, or, he might not be. It leaves the situation quite ambiguous and that I liked. I in no way believe that Krayt needed to be a "Sith" to be one of the most powerful darksiders that galaxy had ever known. Now, I don't know that I'd proclaim him that myself, but anyway.

Back to the conclusion. Talon makes a decent showing against superior numbers, and accomplishes nothing. It is almost funny how Shado wants to head out and hunt her like he has some kind of death wish :p Thankfully Wolf has more intelligence than that.

Rus is another character that never saw his potential reached, but I enjoyed what little snippets we did see of him.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I acknowledge Nihl beat Wolf and isn't a complete poseur. You win.

:p:D

I'd be curious to know what you considered to be Astraal's potential. I say that as a Shado fan. I admit, though, I was looking forward to seeing her reaction to Konrad Rus' betrayal.

I wonder if her Fan Service takes away from her threat. I admit, I may be biased, though. I'm more a Bastilla Shan, Nomi Sunrider, Jaesa Williams and Kira fanboy than Darth Talon. Clothes can be sexy too!

Personally, I question that decision's effectiveness.

I dunno, I like the idea that Luke hangs around his family. Cade isn't remotely surprised by his presence after all.

I think that Krayt is a Jedi Master trained for 20 to 40 years by an Ancient Sith Lord. He doesn't have to be one of the most powerful Dark Siders of all times to be a ridiculous juggernaut as far as the galaxy is concerned. I brought this up with Count Dooku that he's probably an "average" Sith Lord--which is a bit like saying an "average" Emperor of Rome.

As Joruus C'boath showed, an "average" Jedi Master can change the galaxy.

12. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I would have thought that her becoming more involved in the Imperial Mission, the politics of the Empire, stuff like that could have been really fascinating. She could have even ended up serving the One Sith via Rus against her own brother. That type of thing would have given Shado an actual story arc to call his own. As it went he is a very minor character, a guy with a lightsaber to help even out the numbers for sure, but he really doesn't do much more than that.

But which Sith Lord trained him? Seems to me more like Krayt was the king of the self help videos, learning from Holocron's and such without having a true master. He certainly became very powerful but if we are to call him Sith his path in achieving that title was very unconventional.

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well I tend to think holocrons function equally well to masters. But you're correct, he was taught by a Holocron the ways of the Sith as opposed to a Sith Master itself. Exar Kun, by contrast, was self-taught without a holocron and educated himself in the ways of the Sith by books plus a bunch of spirits egging him on to use the Dark Side.

It does, however, give Krayt as much title to the name of Sith as Darth Ruin, however.

Agreed on that being a good story arc. I wish we could ask the writers what they planned for Astraal and Konrad.

14. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Talon definitely showed she's not to be messed with by engaging a superior force and not dying in 5 seconds flat (though I think Nihl will give her crap about their target getting away and it being her fault - then again he just seems to not like Talon very much). The scene where Shado and Wolf confront Cade about who is was very nice.

So you think Marasiah got some enhancement done? Maybe she was just born with Angelina Jolie lips.

Fel taking back Bastion last issue was an awesome moment. The panel where the 501st kneel to him is just great and I was playing the Imperial March in my head when I saw it. Plus, it says something that the 501st "Vader's Fist" remained loyal to Fel. While we don't know how the 501st are now, they do have a certain legacy for ruthlessness - them siding with Fel can be seen as a sort of foreshadowing for Fel's own pragmatic ruthlessness (which sent him over the brink). We actually see it in that issue (I think that's when it was) when he forbids his Knights to go rescue his daughter. While it makes sense in a way (after all we see in Noob that the news about Bastion costs him a Legion) I can't help but wonder if he expected his daughter to either escape or die before captured. Taking Bastion and getting his loyalists there was obviously a plan years in the making and one he didn't want to deviate from. It's one of those lose/lose decisions that I think weighs heavily on his shoulders.

And it makes me even more sad that we never saw a battle of Bastion - that would have been ten kinds of awesome.

Force Smuggler and Charlemagne19 like this.
  15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Well he always was the weird guy that wears a suit made of insects. [face_dunno]

You fool , it's the tattoos that make her that damn sexy, ! :p Also consider the extra effort of actually having to keep drawing those instead of just clothes.

16. Darth_Garak

Jul 28, 2005
    Let's face it, whoever did the tattoos on Talon probably enjoyed the work.

17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

I am sure she does :)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jan_Duursema

Darth_Garak likes this.
  18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    While I too wish we could have seen a Battle for Bastion, given how often it was mentioned how formidable Bastion's defenses were, not sure the art could have pulled it off, based on how the Legacy- War comics played out, but guess it depends on who drew that arc. Ms. Duursema is great with characters, but Francia (I think that was the name?) did great with the GA issues.

This was probably one of my favorite parts of the first arc, as most of the major characters meet up. Its also pretty funny considering, how Marasiah feels she can dictate terms and then suddenly the Jedi ship blows up, so she's back to relying on the pirates. Wolf and Sazen also had a pretty cool entrance, taken out an acklay like that (not to mention Jariah's reaction to Deliah thinking they can handle those two). I wish Wolf had appeared more, he had a relatively high number of appearances for a recurring character, but I wouldn't ever quite call him a main character- he's probably too calm and collected to count as a main character, considering how long Cade tries to resist the hero's call. Not to mention that great panel where they hear Cade's name, but don't push the issue for now. It also shows that the Jedi were willing to help the Fel Imperials, or at least were civil about it. While an actual alliance took much longer unfortunately, at least they were all civil, though they might have shown up mainly to rescue Shado's sister.

Too bad Astraal never shows up again after this arc- Rus sold out, but not quite sure I'd call him evil, I think a few background pieces said he's mainly concerned with keeping the Imperial Mission and its mission of mercy going, and if it and he need to serve as spies too, so be it. Probably another of Legacy's truncated plots (based on that Tatooine arc at least). Also liked Marasiah's fringe outfit, compared to Astraal still running around in her white dress, Marasiah at least could blend in. Was hoping she could have more missions out on the fringe, but not sure we ever saw her in anything other than Imperial Knight armor after this. Well, aside from that torture session and then her current role as Empress, but we've been over her lack of appearances before.

As mentioned in another thread, Krayt's... consultation with the Sith holocrons could count as both awesome and pathetic. He's ruler of most of the known galaxy, with a fanatical army (look at Darth Talon, who sadly is probably there more for the fanservice than anything else, ugh, I really wish they could have killed her off at least), so I would definitely count him as one of the greater Sith in history. Yes, he mainly learned from holocrons, but several other Sith were just self-declared too. Its really cool seeing all those figures together, and while they're all disdainful, as mentioned in the other thread, they are all Sith, and thus all jerks. Technically Krayt has improved on Bane's Rule of Two, but Bane has a point that power is its own end, not to bring about order, but rather being a Sith is about having the power to do whatever you want. I remember back in those days we were speculating who Krayt was, and his approach to ruling the galaxy shows some vestiges of Jedi thought (similar to Vader's "bring order to the galaxy" view). Funny how while Bane warns Krayt's order will fall apart, he does keep it together until his death. Its cool to see all those holocrons at once, but trying to consult those three for answers is not a smart idea, given how they're still able to play tricks on Krayt's mind. Sith holocrons are still dangerous, but then Krayt is already a Sith lord. I wonder how much of the Jedi archives he went through looking for a cure too.

Battles in Legacy have honestly sometimes been... inconsistent. Yeah, that's often how comic battles play out- one issue Talon can take on all of them, later Cade manages to take her on alone, then by War she can just show up and taunt and still escape. Still gotta love how everyone looks after Cade hurled that wreck at her, from Jariah's wary look to Marasiah's stunned look.

I can understand Roan Fel's view on not rescuing Marasiah from a tactical point of view, that wasn't so bad, its his later actions that make it look more ambiguous- covering it up, awarding Draco with a medal but promising marriage is off the table now, etc. In hindsight I wonder if marriage to Marasiah was also a way to control Draco. In better times, probably not, but it is a particularly dark age. And we also see just how far Imperial Knight oaths will go- Draco is going for Sia, but Antares follows him, but then Antares is also one of the ones who remember the IKs' other purpose too.

Still wish we could have seen more of Wolf- cool entrance here, unflappable and unlike Shado, there's never any doubts about his character. Too bad that was probably already setting him up for the Obi-wan role. Speaking of that, while it was cool to see Luke as a Force ghost, I do wish we had seen Kol more. Arguing with his father, rather than just a great-great-grandfather, would have probably worn down Cade a lot faster, since with Luke Cade was arguing about history a lot of the time.

19. Darth_Garak

Jul 28, 2005
    Krayt's mistake with the Sith holocrons was in asking for their help - like a Jedi would. I think he should have demanded they give him their knowledge and enforced that demand. Also don't try to talk to more of them at once, they'll just gang up on you (they're Sith, of course they'll be jerks. )

20. Foggy's Pal

Foggy's Pal Jedi Padawan

Sep 28, 2013
    I have a question for you guys and gals. In the troopers issue, we get another of those homages to the original trilogy; this time a trooper while being carted off says something like, "I will be more machine than....man." How do you feel about those nods to the previous movies/stories? I don't really like them because it always seems like they use the most obvious lines. How many times does someone have a bad feeling? I think, at this point, authors should just create new characters who are great on their own merit steering clear of the past.

21. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    The lips are a Jan Duursema thing. About the only complaint I have about the series is that all the women have the exact same face. That's what led to the coloring error in the next issue; it looked like Cade tapped Marasiah :eek:

22. Darth_Garak

Jul 28, 2005
    Yeah I was confused by that coloring issue, it all seemed so sudden.

23. Shadow Trooper

Jul 18, 2013
    Well he also got one of those dreaded therapy sessions from Darth KFC. Apparently those can make anybody a proper Sith no matter how unsuited they are for the role.

Zeta1127 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    What's interesting is that Vergere says a lot which can be taken as DISCOURAGING Krayt. In my headcanon, I've decided Lumiya heard about Vergere from Darth Krayt who made up a story about how she was a secret Sith.

Thus, ruining Jacen Solo by proxy.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Looking back on #5, the best part for me was the revelation that Moff Konrad Rus was a traitor. The issue wasn't one of my favorites at the time (especially coming after #3-4), but it was a solid issue. It is funny seeing how much Astraal Vao was used at this stage, only to disappear. Ditto with Moff Rus. They both had potential, but I wouldn't want more of them over Gar Stazi, Treis Sinde, or other supporting characters. In all, my thoughts dwell most on the Imperial Mission. Started with noble intentions, but in the end it was led by corrupt and self-serving individuals. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that the mission was disbanded once the Triumvirate took power.

--Adm. Nick

Charlemagne19 likes this.