main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion In the spinoff films, who will comment on the action?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Golden Jedi Knight, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Golden Jedi Knight

Golden Jedi Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    In Episodes I thru VI, C-3PO and R2-D2 often would observe and make comments about events taking place. I wonder if the spinoff films will make use of that storytelling technique? Perhaps there could be a character serving as a narrator off-camera? If the spinoff was about a Jedi, maybe a character like Jedi librarian Jocasta Nu, for example, could serve as a narrator. What do you all think?

2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    It's possible that the spinoffs shape their own identities. I'm not sure that they will necessarily be structured like the typical saga films. We could see gangster movies, westerns, all sorts of things. And it's not a guarantee that they will always feature the "everyman" (or droid in this case) to identify with.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, there is a very wide range of possibilities. It's a large sandbox to play in.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    the everydroid

4. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Excellent question. Certainly I hope that the "side commentary" continues is the Saga with R2 and 3PO.
    The spin offs are going to take SW to new areas. As such they can be bolder with new techniques creating their own styles within the GFFA different to the Saga.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    ^^^ Yes please.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    In the spinoff films, who will comment on the action?

Unsatisfiable, opinionated nerds. On the internet.

8. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Yeah, I think any writer who is working on the spin-offs will likely be focusing on how to distinguish their film from the main saga, not how to incorporate any further similarities. Disney will likely be putting pressure on them to make them distinct as well, to avoid audience fatigue with the brand.

The main saga films are an amalgamation of different genres, including a bit of Greek theatre, leading to the "chorus" characters of C3PO and R2D2. Assuming the Han Solo and Boba Fett films are indeed the spinoffs were getting, I would expect those to be much more taut, focused exercises in genre and tone, and not requiring any sort of analogous element to the droids.

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It might be the saga is part of the whole journal of the whills, which is a commentary on what has happened while the spinoff will exist outside that tome.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    never mind. wrong thread.

11. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    Which was the weird Ugandan movie that had one guy yelling Action !!! Action !! over the action scenes?

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    R2, 3P0, Crow, and Tom Servo.

leiamoody and Sith-Mullet like this.
  13. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Morgan Freeman or that other guy... I think that his name is James Earl Jones. ;)

14. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a Jedi. To me, being a Jedi was better than being Chancellor of the Republic . Even before I first wandered into the speeder-cab stand for an after-school job, I knew I wanted to be a part of them. It was there that I knew that I belonged. To me, it meant being somebody in a neighborhood that was full of nobodies. They weren't like anybody else. I mean, they did whatever they wanted. They double-parked in front of a hydrant and nobody ever gave them a ticket. In the summer when they played cards all night, nobody ever called the cops.

15. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    How about the audience derive their own commentary for the spin-offs? (Or it'll be the director, the sound guy and a couple of the stars as an extra on the DVD :p)

16. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    How about Joel, Crow and Tom Servo?

leiamoody likes this.
  17. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    May the force be with you. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' they're out there. The Jedi. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope they don't get exterminated again.

[​IMG]

18. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    The power converters.

19. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    One day . . one day one of the jawas helped my mother carry some power converters on her way home. You know why? IT WAS OUT OF RESPECT.

20. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    I agree with others on this matter. I think the spin-off films should find their own identity. I'd love to see something along the lines of a film noir style detective story set in the lower levels of Coruscant: gangsters, crime, greed, corruption (OK, OK that could also be the senate!). I haven't yet given thought to who the detective would be. I'm not advocating they adapt the Coruscant Nights books, but something like that would be great.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  21. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    I have a funny sandbox story.

22. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Force Ghost Jar Jar: "This is nutsen!!"