main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

In the Stacks: Index for Film/EU-Compliant Fics

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Alion_Sangre, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Have a desire to add on to the volumes of Star Wars lore? Are you a detail fanatic who goes crazy over the course of the week and calls the lifeline to remember the name of Alliance Intelligence's deep-cover operations department? Do you run through stacks of books, trying to find loose subplot threads, forgotten characters, and untold stories?

You're in luck! They have drugs for that now.

But if Darth Real Life and his evil henchman Count Writer's Block can't stop you from trying to chisel your ideas into gaps in the saga, put your fics here. The only requirement is that they comply with the films and the EU as we currently know them, and they can't be contradicted by future material (no Episode III speculation, no NJO past the latest installment of the series). Fics can feature OC's or established main/supporting characters.

I'm not going to be very stringent on listings - as far as I'm concerned, you can put down as much of a summary as you can expect to find on the back of a Star Wars paperback. I hope that in addition to creating a database, we will also be able to toss around future story ideas and maybe collaborate on a fic or five.

2. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
  3. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Pash Cracken (X-wing pilot) springs to mind in the category of forgotten characters and untold stories. If I felt like I had any chance of writing a halfway realistic story about him, I would, but I fear that my lack of ability in writing military things, dogfights, and self-assured men in general would handicap me terribly.

I'll look through my too-small supply of SW books and see what else I can find, though. :)

4. Shezan

Shezan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    Neat idea for a thread, this! Here's the lowdown on my current story, which I have tried to make entirely canon-compliant. :D

Title: Hitchhiker

Author: Shezan

Date begun: 6/12/2002

Summary: Set 12 years before ANH. Young lieutenant Thrawn, the only alien in the Imperial Navy, recently brought back by Captain Park from exile on an uninhabited planet, has to make his way up the ranks on the Star Destroyer Empire's Revenge. He'll get an occasion to prove himself to the Empire, not to mention First Officer Piett and visiting HoloNet star Wynssa Starflare, during the course of an eventful voyage and a pirate fleet attack.

Notes: Genre: Action/Adventure/Romance
    Characters: Thrawn, Piett, Vader, Wynssa Starflare/Syal Antilles, Sebulba, a slew of Imperials, droids & pirates
    EU consistent with the official timeline (uses Zahn & Stackpole stories and characters).

5. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Thanks for the invitation, Alion_Sangre.

Title: A Gathering of Light

Summary: 7 years post-ROTJ, concurrent with the Jedi Academy Trilogy and I, Jedi. Just as I, Jedi served as a "filler" novel to provide more details on what happened at the Jedi praxeum during the Jedi Academy Trilogy, this fanfic will do the same.

Notes: This is my first foray into fan fiction. I've been working on this for quite some time, and it hasn't been easy. As the title says, it's concurrent with the Jedi Academy Trilogy and I, Jedi, so I had to work within the confines dictated by these novels. I also wanted to make you react to this fanfic as though it were canon. That meant doing accurate, background research so that I cover any possible problems with continuity, character personalities, and so forth.

I also had to delay continuing this story because one of the characters made a reappearance in a computer game, while another was in the most recently published NJO book. Fortunately, what happened in them only resulted in minor plot changes. I might have to do what Jedi_Alman's doing right now with his A/T fiction - do a rewrite to reflect anything I gather from upcoming EU and NJO books. I'll worry about this later.

6. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    Taking off fast, this thread is!

I always was interested in Pash Cracken and some of the other Rebel pilots mentioned in novels, computer games, and source material but never used extensively - I have a notion for an X-Wing-style series involving Keyan Farlander, the hero and potential Jedi of LucasArts' original X-Wing flight sim. In my continuously updated but likely never to be written NJO fic, Pash is the "fighter boss" aboard a Super Star Destroyer.

My first fanfic attempt, entitled "Snow Job," is listed in my sig and profile. It's my first fic about an NRI agent named Mykael Shone, who in this case is trying to bring in an Imperial scientist with a price on his head. Not only must he avoid bounty hunter Alion Sangre, a cyborg Dark Jedi armed with the Force and an arsenal of weapons, he must also confront his new temporary partner - his embittered ex-girlfriend. It takes place concurrently with X-Wing: The Krytos Trap and involves mostly OCs with a few minor characters from the EU. It's currently half-completed with a handful of satisfied readers.

One of the reasons I created this thread was to encourage the possibility of collaboration on future fics. For example, somebody might have a skeleton plot with a lot of great characters and exciting action scenes, but might be having difficulty fleshing it out with believable dialogue and character development/interactions (this, by the way, is the absolute hardest thing for me when I'm writing - I know how to start, how to end, and who and what to blow up or kill off, but in between I play it by ear). On the other hand, a really good writer might have a plot and know how to play characters and events but lack the resource material to allow them to add all the Clancyesque technical realism and back-references.

7. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    things like that do drive me quite crazy... yet I have created a fic that does not comply... I would drive myself crazy...
    anyway, my big issue is characters' genetics... it's less complex than it shounds, really. Example a)Tycho's eye color; Called Blue in one book, and I believe the other color was Green... I have many such examples... they drive me crazy!

8. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    I believe Tycho's eyes were blue . . . lemme get my "New Essential Guide to Characters" . . .

Yep, blue.

9. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    but esential characters says Kyp's eyes are brown, and Dark Journey says they're green...

10. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    I have absolutely no explanation for that. My guess is some author forgot to do his/her homework.

11. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Thanks Alion, here's mine:

Title: Juliene

Summary: "Juliene" takes place during the main action of Balance Point, and is an imaginative filler for where Kyp Durron was AFTER the Vong invasion of Kubindi. Besides Kyp, the rest of the main characters (including his love interest, Juliene) are OCs. Minor characters are also OCs, though Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors are scheduled to make an appearance soon, along with one or two of Alion's OCs.

Other stuff-
    "Juliene" is mostly from the title character's point-of-view, and I wanted to make something in which an Adumari was the protagonist. (shameful lack of Adumaris in fan fics, IMO) I tried to stay as close to already made-up stuff as I could, and especially with Jule I both make references to Adumari things from Allston's novel and from my imagination. I've tried also to stay true to Kyp from the early NJO, making him a fairly good man with a really flammable anger underneath (egotistical, too).

Alion- In "Jule," I have the Kyle/Jan/Akhrakor/Kyle&Jan's daughter-part coming up. Could you help me out with some Katarn stuff? I mean, I know the basics about Kyle and Jan but I need to get some more knowledge before I feel comfortable writing about them. :)

oops, and I thought that Kyp's eyes were green too. I shouldn't have trusted Elaine Cunningham's description. :p

12. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Great topic, Alion! :) I'll post my fics here when I have the summaries and stuff together. Pretty much all of my stories are film and lit compliant, as I try hard to maintain that continuity with the novels I have read (although I tend to ignore the novels I am not fond of). The EU material is vast and I have only read, (at best) half of the ninety-plus novels, but I can't really maintain continuity with books I haven't read. :)

The whole eye color thing... well, my eyes are green, but depending on what I'm wearing and the light, they can appear blue or grey. I have friends with hazel eyes that appear green in some lights and brown in others. I am less bothered by eye color issues than I am by mis-characterisations. :)

Jane: Pash Cracken is one of the best under-explored characters in the EU. I am somewhat swamped by my own in-progress fics and bunnies at present, but I am eagerly awaiting to hear more on this idea.

*Derisa*

13. dod

dod Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2002
    Not shure if this thread is the rigth one, but Ill try...

I am making a character for something, dont know what yet, maybe a fanfilm or something. Im trying to stay detailed and true to the triologies/EU. I'm going for this: A guy named Aron Cornwell, maybe a year older than Anakin. He has the force, but he is not a jedi, maybe a bountyhunter or a spicerunner or a shipyard-owner or something.

My problem: He has built his own ligthsaber, with a white blade (dont think I've seen it before), but the saga/EU states that u must be a master or something to build one. Any ideas on how to get this done?

Some of the story:
    He is found in an abandoned spaceship in the outer rim, brougth to Curoscant, adopted by the Cornwell family (deals in trading of uniqe/expensive goods from all over the galaxy, to welthy people around Curoscant), he becomes aweare of the force when hes about 15y.

14. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    Well, the Solo kids built their lightsabers when they were fourteen, and the material I've read suggest's that's about when the prequel-era Jedi build theirs. It's just that you need to dig up plans for one, and those are likely to come from a Jedi, although I wouldn't be surprised if the Republic's version of "Popular Science" would have schematics.

15. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    A couple of my stories take place outside of the timeline, but I don't think that's what you meant ;)

One idea I have is something that slots in around "Outbid, But Never Outgunned" (the Boba Fett has a kid Tales story). The idea of Boba having a kid intruiges me, and so does this mysterious "Sintas". ;)

16. dod

Apr 16, 2002
    Hmm, the story is to take place, or at least start about 10yrs before ANH, when A.C. is about 2yrs (anakin = 0yrs), and that would put Boba out of the picture, rigth?

About the ligthsaber plans: the kid has the means for getting at least some good looks at quite a few 'real' ligthsabers, remeber he is in the transportation-buiz, and one of the larger customers for his familys exclusive freigth/cargo possibilities is the Jedi temple, who need people and material transported around the planet and out into orbit without using the usual ivillian transports...

I am thinking of 'getting' of of the jedis (masters) to train him, but not quite shure who. The Council must accept all padawans, rigth; and when Anakin bareley made it, at the age of 9, what chance would then a 'usual' kid have? Im thiking of some Dark Jedi or something, A.C. is not a Sith, but he uses the force to his own advantage, rather than only for protection. Any ideas for a Dark Jedi Master who live on Curoscant?

17. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    Well, ten years before TPM (if ANH was a typo), the Jedi rarely accepted anybody older than two - some, like Count Dooku and Eeth Koth, were accepted at the "late" age of four, but beyond that Anakin was probably extremely old for the order.

Training outside the Temple might come from a Dark Jedi - note that such an individual would not be an extremely powerful Force-user like a Palpatine or Maul, perhaps a failed padawan. It's also likely that any Dark Jedi on Coruscant who made any kind of a public reputation would likely receive undue attention from Jedi and Sith alike - and undue attention from the Sith would mean Darth Maul coming to harvest heads.

Perhaps less fraught with danger (both physical to the characters and of bending the EU) would be side training from a Jedi Master. Qui-Gon certainly bent the rules numerous times in his career, and lord knows how he would have gotten around the council to train Anakin if he'd survived Naboo. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't the only one who occasionally went outside the envelope when he found those the Jedi hadn't collected early on.

One EU Jedi Master, Djinn Altis, repeatedly clashed with the Jedi Council on training apprentices, arguing that Jedi in the old days had started training as teenagers and Masters had trained multiple apprentices at once. Several years after TPM, he went into the Outer Rim to find Force-sensitives the Jedi had missed in the areas outside the rule of the Republic. One of those he found was Callista, who would later appear in Luke Skywalker's time. Given that his history and background prior to TPM is vague, he'd be an excellent mentor to AC.

18. dod

Apr 16, 2002
    Sorry about that typo - of course it was TPM. Maybe this Djinn-guy would be a good idea, going to do some research.

19. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Great idea Alion. And yes - I agree with Jane and others about Pash. I've often thought some stories about his exploits would be wonderful.

Most of my fanfics are EU or OT compliant, and certainly the three I have on the boards are.

The Mantrusian Affair is set during and just after the OT timeframe and deals with a situation in a galactic sector of my own invention - the Tarsus sector. It involves OCs as well as Wedge and Rogue Squadron, Luke, Leia, Han et al. The military establishment on one planet are concerned about some mysterious events happening on their near neighbour, events that seem to include the Empire. The story follows their efforts to discover exactly what is going on. and includes intrigue, adventure, and romance.

I'll post info on the other two stories later.

20. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    "B-b-b That's all, folks!"

Well, "Snow Job" is finished, although I'm planning on rewriting a fair-sized chunk of it and making other modifications to turn it into a lean, mean thrill machine. Genghis12 was extremely kind to give me a review of my portrayal of Lumiya in the last bit, as I haven't read the old Marvel series. I managed to save it to disk after the OS crashed, so my labor of nine months as well as another partial fic (and all my silly old school papers) survived intact. Whew!

Once I fix my OS, survive my first round of spring exams, and make the necessary edits, I'm going to make a run at putting "Snow Job" in the TF.N Fan Fiction Archive.

21. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I've just started reading Snow Job - and am really enjoying it. Yes - definitely submit it to the archive.

22. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    In addition to my post above - here are the other two stories that are EU compliant.

"Warrior of the Light" - see link in my sig - is a trilogy dealing with Anakin Solo's death. The first story is from Tahiri's point of view and is set early on in DJ. The second story is Anakin's and springs from something he says in SbS. The third is from Corran's point of view, and is set in the timeframe of RD.

"Many Happy Returns" - link in sig - is a fun story set just after Rebirth. It's an adventure involving Anakin and Tahiri and Lando and Tendra. It fills in the development of A and T's relationship between Rebirth and SbS.

23. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    All fanfics located in my userprofile are film/EU-compliant as they (and the EU) currently stand. Obviously, all links are in my userprofile.

24. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    Well, I'm currently working on two new fics. I'll start posting as soon as I get a lead on them.

"Halberd Squadron: Unlikely to Survive" is a squadfic, first in a trilogy, although I might tighten it up to two fics depending on how much I can get out of them. Features leading roles from Keyan Farlander, Cal Omas, Ton Phanan, and Sunnar Jan-lo as well as some new OCs. Cameos by Kyle Katarn, Jan Ors, the old Rogues, and Darth Vader, for starters. I'll post a synopsis soon.

"Don't Get Caught" is another Mykael Shone fic, a sort of writer's block backup to the above. It takes place a year after "Snow Job," and features reprisals by Mykael, Sunnar, and cameos by the Hapan Royal Family. So far I'm seven pages into it, and the beginning is just so damned funny . . . :D

25. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.