main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga "In the White Room." (Dark Vader/Ami, AU vignette. Happy Halloween!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lady_Moonbeam, Oct 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Title: In the White Room

Summary: ?I brought you back. I fixed it.?

Note: Inspired by Sylvia Plath?s poem, ?Lady Lazarus.? Excerpts from it are at the beginning and end of the story.

--------------------------

They had to call and call
    And pick the worms off me like sticky pearls.

The walls are bare and smooth and white. In the days before you, they smelled like fresh clay and scouring sand. Now the smell of you has burrowed into the insulation and crept down to the floor. Daily, you breathe in the scent of wet leaves?the decay that has permeated through everything. No matter how they clean the room?scrubbing it floor to ceiling with soapsuds and solutions?the smell still stays in your white room like a ghost, attached not you, following behind like a veil. A white veil, of course. You are not surprised by its persistence?after all, it belongs to you, and you are its source.

You have not stopped decaying.

Every night, before you sleep, you wash your hands in the white sink and watch as the skin loosens and the bones grow stark and prominent. Anakin brings you lotion and you rub it in between your fingers, methodically, because the white room is the essence of method. It takes away a little of the smell, but it does nothing for your cordwood skin. But when he visits, he likes to take your hands and compliment you on their sleek muja smell, and if the conditions are stable enough, he kisses them, his lips firm against your palm.

You close your eyes when he kisses you. He is no more alive than you are. A heartbeat has not given him that vital connection to the rest of the galaxy. Anakin is dead, too?he just has yet to notice it. You noticed. You were quiet in your grave for weeks before he found you.

?Why?? you asked him the first time you could really speak. Your throat had grown hoarse in death, and words came stiff and disjointed from your tongue, where they once had flowed so smooth and diplomatically. ?Why did you bring me back??

?I love you, my angel,? he said simply. ?I missed you so much.? The black mask makes his eyes impossible to read, but you somehow knew that he was smiling, but that beneath the child?s grin was the cold gaze of Lord Vader. ?I had the power. I couldn?t save my mother, but I could save you??

You wanted (and still want) to tell them he had not really saved you. Death was mercy compared to what he has done. But you do not tell him this, because he loves you, and you have mercy on him, too.

Even if neither of you really knows what that word means.

The white room was what he designed for you, to be a substitute for the soft heaven that you found in death and in the Force. Everything was soft with rounded corners, the bed was a double?immense and covered with white shimmersilk and velvet. The one room is your bedroom, your refresher, and your kitchen, separated only by the lush carpeting fading away into long panels of white stone tile. You have no sitting area, no entertainment units, no connection with the galaxy beyond you. The white room is a galaxy inside itself, and what your husband does in the great black vacuum outside of it is no longer your business.

You remember a time when this was not so. You had stood outside, long ago, in your colors, and the galaxy had heard your words and listened, and you had burned fiercely against the tapestry of the Senate, determined to set fire to the empty prejudices and make a difference. You remember when you wore colors other than white?when your gowns swirled with rich vermilion, gold, cerulean, and indigo hues. Even your face had color?flushed with soft rose and tanned tawny by the sun. Now you are as white as your room?the flowers in your cheeks have wilted and died from lack of blood, and your gowns are shapeless and ivory.

Colored, flushed, and alive.

You have not known life for years, and it is close to slipping away from you now. One day you know that he will enter and find that you have not stirred, that you do not wake. He would d

2. Darth-Ander

Darth-Ander Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2003
    You frighten me sometimes, Moonbeam, you really do. And it's not just the Frankenstein-esque nature of your story, or Vader's obsession to keep his wife alive. No, that's not it.

You are frightenly fantastic writer, that's what you are, and I thank you for it. :)

Again, I hate being repetitive, but well done. :D

Knight-Ander in his Sith alter-ego.

3. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    [face_shocked]

And that's about all I can say. Incredible, Moon. The tie-in between "Lady Lazarus" and your vignette was very skillful and quite creepy I might add. (Read that poem last year in English...Plath had a knack for imagery.)

Again: [face_shocked]

4. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    It's refreshing to know that this was inspired by a poem. I'd be really worried if the idea for this came entirely out of your own head! [face_laugh] Frankly though, I am constantly amazed [face_shocked] by the quality of your writing. What words can I use to describe this - surreal? brilliant? incredibly well-done? they all fall short of the exact impression that this wonderful, wonderful piece left on me. :)

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Ah, geez! That was so creepy, so psychotically beautiful. Man, I stand in the presence of another nutcase like myself!

6. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    ....Whoa. Just... whoa...

7. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Wonderfully creepy.

8. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    The most perfect liar is the one who never realizes that he isn?t telling the truth.

What an amazing line :eek:
    Great (creepy) story for Halloween.

" I will even learn to stop people from dying."... [shudders]

9. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    You blew me away, Lady_Moonbeam. And I'm a very hard reader to please. ;)

I'm gonna have to look up more of your work. :)

10. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Beautiful, creepy, and a wonderful way to get the readers in Padme's shoes. ;) You know what I think of this, Moon - 'tis wonderful. [face_love] :D An excellent spinoff of Anakin's words. :)

11. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    How does one reply to that? Except... whoa.

12. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    *bows*

That was incredible. :eek:

13. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    I'm really ill at the moment, Moony, but I wanted to reply and let you know that I LOVED this piece.

If my stomach wasn't already swirling, it would have been thanks to your piece!

You have a wonderful talent that I hope you continue using! :)

Am [face_love]

14. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    An utterly haunting peace. I've really got the chills!

Brilliant :) Such striking imagery.

15. Sunshine

Sunshine Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2003
    Remember when I said I was your Moonie?

This only strengthens my resolve to remain one... you gave me the chills, Moon.I normally don't read A/A, but I knew it was you and gave it a try... wow. Your writing is beyond incredible. I loved the quote at the end- Sylvia is incredible.

16. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I must admit Moon, im a bit at a loss for words this time around. Such an intriguing concept.

The creepiest thing about this, for me, actually, is that i can totally see Vader doing this to her. I dont think he knows HOW to live without her, and he's just that selfish to do this to her. He would bring her back a thousand times, allowing her no eternal rest or peace, merely because it is what he wants. She is what makes him happy.

Moon, dear, i love you. :)

::Windstar Out::

17. AmidalaJade

AmidalaJade Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2003
    What an impressive story, Lady_Moon. [face_love]

18. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    Ooh...this was so creepy. But great. :D

19. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Without rest, without hope, without a prayer of eternity, just endless cycles, of returning to decaying flesh and that same flat taste of the grave, to a shrouded angel with his selfish good intentions? and to the white room.
    :eek: Simply chilling.

20. ivylore

ivylore Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2000
    I completely missed this piece of yours, Lady Moonbeam. I loved it with all its eerie dark magic (and I love that poem too!).

21. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    I don't know how I missed this before, but I am glad to have found it. What an eerily beautiful and haunting and creepy vignette. Perfect for Anakin, who wants to find a way to "keep people from dying." Wow -- a very unsettling and truly sad piece.

22. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Wonder little dark piece, there.

23. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Wow Lady_Moonbeam, this was an exceptional gothic piece, I loved it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.