main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST In this thread we discuss how terrible of a casting decision Domnhall Gleeson was

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_OlsenTwins, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    The Empire basically set up the equivalent of Ender's Game's Battleschool. All of the troopers and many of the leaders are 30 or under and were likely born in test tubes in a massive breeding program following the fall of the Empire and trained for specific tasks immediately. Since Hux' father was a General he, too, was groomed for leadership.

Don't forget that Josef Mengele himself was massively influential within Hitler's Nazis before he even turned 30.

2. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I thought the age was great for the FO - all children of officers or admirals of the empire

Winged_Jedi, jaqen and ShaneP like this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I loved him. The rally scene was one of my favorite scenes. Hux is a zealot and Gleeson captured that perfectly.

4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I thought Gleeson was fine in the role but, at the same time, I don't know why they used the Starkiller to destroy that planet when he did a fine job of chewing the scenery when delivering that speech prior to the ignition of the weapon. Imagine the energy they could have saved by instead unleashing the Gleeson-Gob.

5. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    A poor man's Tarkin. I could not take him seriously.

Darth_OlsenTwins likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think Gleeson was a perfect casting choice, I also loved how over the top he was.

7. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    I thought he was great and I loved how he and Kylo clearly resent each other deeply. It's nothing like the relationship between Vader and Tarkin. The exchanges between the two of them were some of the strongest parts of the movie. I am really looking forward to seeing their interaction in the future.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002

Yes, thank you. You said it.

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Because he's not….the leader? :confused: Really. He's like Tarkin. Did Tarkin lead the Empire?

I liked Hux. Thought his speech was full of all the over the top exhuberation one would expect for someone who has waited a long time to exact revenge. These folks are true believers. They drank the kool aid.

10. chiller087

chiller087 Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2015
    He wasn't nearly as old as Tarkin. Tarkin wasn't "Tarkin" as a young man, he got that way with age and experience. Hux is already well on his way to having a commanding presence like Tarkin did, but it's unlikely we'll see him with the same amount of life experience, even if he's around through episode 9.

ShaneP likes this.
  11. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    The completely unhinged look in his eyes at the end of his speech and while watching the weapon fire was great. I liked his performance, though other scenes of his weren't quite as good.

Dewback and ShaneP like this.
  12. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002

Yes, in the sense of "leading the charge into battle" he was unquestionably the military (edit) leader hence the whole speechy thing. But I'm not going to derail this fruitful discussion into a semantical one.

13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    No. Tarkin didn't lead any charge. He was the lead bureaucrat. Vader led the charge as did Kylo.

So you're wrong.

14. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002

Meh, semantical.

15. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    I didn't have a problem with the character at all. In fact, I liked the fact that he kinda looked out of his depth in The First Order..

16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Reality. Watch ANH again. Vader goes into battle. Tarkin does not. Watch TFA again. Kylo goes into battle. Hux does not.

17. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I didn't think it was terrible.

18. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002

OMG, I clearly have no interest in whatever semantical point you're trying to make. Troll elsewhere.

19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

And I really have no interest in whatever point you're trying to make with this redundant and baiting thread.

20. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Gleeson was really good, but wasn't given much to work with. All of the secondary villains (Snoke, Phasma, Hux) were forgettable and thinly written.

21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    A few reasons:

1. Most of the Empire's officers even the young ones are either dead or switch sides.
    2. Young people are easier to mold therefore Snoke is going to get less brush back from a younger general.
    3. The Empire failed miserably. Why pick someone from that era to run it?

jaqen likes this.
  22. LesPaulPlayer91

LesPaulPlayer91 Jedi Knight

Jun 12, 2014
    I actually thought Hux was a great villain and Gleeson played the part well. He was probably one of my favourite characters in the film to be honest. I agree that there seems to be a large emphasis on young characters (and I say this as a 24 year old!). However, I think Hux's age seems to fit with the First Order - ie they're effectively young people trying to recreate the Empire. In Heir to the Empire it's noted that officers are getting younger as they're having to replace them with conscripts and volunteers. I suppose the same is true of the First Order, they're having to get people on board any way they can.

23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    *Troll thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.