main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD In this thread, we discuss what happened at Work/High School/University.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by casual-jedi, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Guh - I almost got hit by a car crossing the road at lunch time. I was having such a good day prior to that as well. Took the arvo off. Bought books about Zombies.

On a somewhat related note (as I seem to recall sending one or two people messages in my brainmelted state), Tuesdays will now be "Tequila Tuesdays" as aliteration is awesome, but my brief afternoon stint will be referred to as "Tuesday Afternoon (Kahlua Afternoon)" after my favourite Moody Blues song that isn't "Forever Autumn."

Although "That blue thing that killed Josh Tuesday" was a suggestion worthy of being noted. [face_mischief]

2. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    The IT peeps are holding a teleconference behind me. Reeeeaally distracting/annoying. I think it might actually be giving me a headache because it's loud enough that I can hear it, but I'm trying to direct my concentration elsewhere. [face_thinking]

Another funny thing I've noticed - the smaller my pile of filing gets, the more my dwindling motivation to file returns. I think my main issue with the filing lately has been the utter futility and endlessness of it. It's slowly going down at least - so that's always nice. Even if I did break the filing cupboard yesterday. [face_whistling]

edit: Heh heh, my friend in the dept. tells me that I may be arrested by the fashion police today. I think she occasionally forgets that I'm the eccentric one who holds no sway with the conventional "rules of fashion." :p

3. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Pray tell, what are you wearing?

4. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Nothing overly offensive I thought (well, it's not bad for a "I have no clothes so these will do" kind of outfit).

Got my brown stripy-pattern stockings on, with my nautical skirt (white with the boats and compasses etc on it), and that brown shirt with the pretty lady design on it. I believe the stockings were the object of horror though.

Admittedly I have put together better outfits - but at 6am I'm not so concerned. :p

5. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Ran out of the house this morning just as my driving instructor pulled up - very lucky as I was just about to run to the bus stop. Reasonable drive to work. Forgot the lunch I'd prepared though :oops:

6. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    How about this schizophrenic weather, aye? I'm glad I took my umbrella to lunch because walking back to work it just started pouring down rain. Currently trying to unsaturate my shoes via a small fan heater - really wish I had a spare skirt on hand. Oh well, is all in good fun.

7. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Fun and games today - the on/off torrential rain has been hillarious. Naturally my latest pair of work shoes are ruined, but at least they aren't conducting themselves in a manner not dissimilar to sponges as my old pair used to.

On a positive note though, I was walking past the Rivers Clearance shop thing and noted yesterday that they had boots in the window. I've been wanting after a pair of boots for a while (or at least since my payless boots died) so I thought I'd at least check it out today. I honestly have no idea why I've never entered this shop before.

So I walked out with two pairs of boots for under $50. I'm calling that a win. :)

8. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    There's a rivers clearance shop near you?? Oh yeah! Lutwyche shops! I've bought a few pairs from the one at DFO. Good shop for shoes!

9. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Hah yeah :) Just as I had resolved to stop spending my money as well... I should wait til my next payday before I go back there.

10. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Dear Diary..my crap day.

Was told yesterday that we'd be moving from our temporoay reception desk back to the old, now smashingly renovated, desk today. Me stress..no..doesn't sound like me. Actual change over went okay..2 computers at one, 2 computers at the other for 10 minutes befpre we swapped everything. Well oiled Kahlan machine. Except I hate reorganising stuff when it's chaos around me. Delegated, as was suggested, and others did it much better.

IN the midst of the morning, a guy I didn't know present himself and says " Hi I'm David, I'm starting work with you today" Terrorist? Qld Health infiltrator? Practical joke? No, actual employee my boss didn't tell me about for the third time in as many months. Joy. rang boss, at a meeting. WRong day, wrong mood. Still I did my best. Boss appeared an hour later. "Yeah I meant to tell you about it but didn't know where I was sending him til yesterday for initial training" Me: "information I could have used yesterday then" One and only almost sarcastic tone I've ever used with him. Anyway, started training the guy amidst my brian planning the desk move, only to discover that injuries prevented him from standing up for too long, and goodness knows you'd never do that a Hospital Main Reception Desk. WEll maybe some do. We have 4 computers and 2 phones and are constantly standing and movine. ANYWAY, got rid of him mid morning. Nice guy too unfortunately, I'm sure thinks we're a pack of disorganised loons now. Agree though.

Bored yet? So basically I got none of my ACTUAL work done. had to leave emails for my colleagues to finish up stuff for me which I hate as I'm not there tomorrow and was later getting to pick my munchkin up from after school care than I wanted to be. Had he not been jumping in puddles smiling at me like the cuddly freak he is, it woulda been a pretty bad 9-5 kinda day.

ANd appretnly I can get disciplined for ranting about my job on a public forum like myspace or here. So I thought.. sounds like fun.

11. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Well I spend my morning doing inspections on the nice new shiny citytrains they are bringing in... I got to push a lot of buttons :D

EDIT: Ok, call me stupid, but I do work with a bunch of males. Over smoko I simply said I'd lost all the feeling in the end of my finger since jamming it in the car door 3 or more weeks ago, the boys being the boys said prove it. I said "like sticking my finger under boiling water". So I did. It didn't hurt, not even a little but it ain't looking so crash hot atm :p

12. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Seems most of the network resources have died today (although the good old internet is still working, thank God), so I'm catching up on the mountain of physical filing I have. If I get all of that done today in liu of digital filing, my desk might actually look tidy for once - and that is a nice prospect.

13. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Wow, are your networks run by the same mob as ours? Because our networks have been flickering on and off all day. More off than on mostly. Net is fine - email is not :p

14. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Heh, I think ours would be seperate. I think our email is still working fine, but the accessing any archived stuff or the web-based version of the email client is a little irksome apparently. The program I need to do my job is taking a holiday (which is funny as it's supposed to be going down at 4pm for maintenance anyway).

15. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Heh, well I think our archives actually went down yesterday. Seem to remember something on the automated voice-over when I ran IT to try and sort out the MS Project licence that I was supposed to have transfered over a week ago :p

16. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Well there you go.

The IT line has put up a prompt today basically telling everyone to stop ringing them as "we are currently experiencing outages on several services" and are investigating. I'd hate to be in the call centre today :p

17. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Yep so would I, especially knowing some of the guys I work with... :S

18. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Dum di dum, at work of course. Got all of my physical filing out of the way on Tuesday (yay!) so my desk for once looks to have modicum of tidyness now. Apparently I can access Amazon.com at work - as shopping sites are filtered this baffles me, but I'm not one to complain.

19. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Hee! Someone left a platter of food in the kitchen with a note on it reading, "please help yourselves." Free food for the win.

Of course, it could be the lure of a devious trap. [face_thinking]

20. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    It's a trap!

Heh, I get free food this afternoon as the office is throwing a retirement party for one of the managers.

21. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Hehe.

Been looking at cars at work again - perusing carsales.com. The thing that gets annoying is they don't give you the general location of the cars until you submit an enquiry - I took a fancy to one of these cars and sent through an email, turns out the car is at Browns Plains (though the guy who called me hense did say they'd be able to drive the car over for a looksee).

I might duck into the bank whilst on my lunch break, and chat about loans... [face_thinking]

edit: Wow it's hot outside. Well, I've been up to the bank and I'm none the wiser really. All of this goes over my head. Will discourse with the father person. If nothing else, I have some numbers, and the lady did something to my account - whether that's good or bad remains to be seen...

22. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    No air con at work today. Cooked like a little side of roast.

Riding home was cooler.

//is hating air cona nd lack thereof.

23. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Ah Monday. Almost fell asleep on the train.

More car research on the web today, looking at private sellers now as a moment of clarity had me realise that a new or dealer-used car was probably going to break the bank. I was originally looking at the little Swifts, Barinas and 121s - I have since decided that they're all ugly little cars and have set my attention at Astras, and have come up with some pretty promising options.

Now I just have to rope my father into driving me around to look at vehicles.

24. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Wow, enormous black cloud hanging over our building at the moment. Ominous.

It feels vaguely surreal to think tonight is Phantom again - maybe because I've been embroiling my mind in the plot of the book again and am slightly spun out about seeing it on stage again. I'm not sure, I rather suspect I've just had too much sugar this morning. :p

25. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    13 months at the centre.. and the once tentative offers of a management position, beckons again with a truer resonance. Somewhat torn truth be told, between a commitment to a relatively comfortable status quo(brimming with a distinct lack of responsibility)... And an opportunity to meld with the corporate hive, and possibly make something of this existence. In the palm of one hand I cup an honest vocation, with an honest salary, making logical use of my physical attributes. The other hand clenched tight, holds the unknown... A promise of daylight hours, monetary advantages, and a spiffy suit/tie combo.

What I am now, is a man-child largely without obligations. Other than the 42 hours/week when I work, I am free. Free to dream of a life I might one day have the courage to pursue. So therein lies my dilemma.. as three decades of keeping my options open, have led me next to nowhere. Whereby this juncture, this seminal fork upon the road of my journey, holds potential unabound. I am indeed at the precipice of decision... A leap on both counts. One, a tangible affirmation of a frighteningly adult life. The other a leap of faith, to a dream that may never be.. but a dream that sustains me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.