main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD In this thread, we discuss what happened at Work/High School/University.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by casual-jedi, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Wow, CJ, you can be amazingly poetic at times.
    Decisions can be hard things, especially when you are unsure where it will lead.

2. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Firtly, love it when you write like that. :)

What I've discovered CJ is that making a decision that you think changes your path entirely doesn't always make the other options obsolete. It just means you have to find differnt ways to keep that other path parallel whilst you see where this way leads. There are always little tracks that you can't see around the bend, covered by grass, but always there for when you need or want them.

I know the things and options you think you might be giving up to take this path, and I also know the position they want you for isn't who you see yourself being, but none of us do. From someone who's taken on that role in this last year of being the one with the responsibility, making the harder choices, not being so loved by everyone all the time and not getting to do the things I feel comfy doing, it is hard at times and occasionally I wish I was jsut doing the work without all the supervisory/management crap. But in your case, the benefits you talk about, of money and weekends far outweigh the benefits I'm getting from mine.

And from where I sit, I think someone like you as part of the "hive" can only be a force for good.

So I say go for it. It's a job, if it doesn't work out CJ, you stop doing it. It's not a life commitment as much as you feel loyalty and responsibility to people that give you the opportunity like you do in the rest of your life. It's a job. And if one day soon you get given the opportunity to do something you've always wanted, make another choice then, or find a way to do both.

HUGE HUG.

3. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Took the day off today. Still a bit exhausted from yesterday's angst, and had a awful lot of cleaning to do, so thought why not.

Seem to be making progress with the cleaning, and oh hay! I found my game boy colour from the days of old. Now to play tetris :p Heh. Maybe I can convince my brother to give me all his pokemon games........ [face_thinking]

Or ya know, I could just buy myself a DS. *wants*

4. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Hope things have improved Morgs.

Yesterday after work I could have easily quit without too much trouble but made myself return for an improved day. I did my first real roster which I'm sure means more to me than to anyone else. And that's a feat with about 15 staff, some casual, part-time, full time, days off requirements, preferred shifts over a 7 day 7-630pm time frame..all that crap. Anyway, it got emailed out this arvo before I left with a huge sense of relief. It is however probaby full of errors I'll hear about on Friday. Still, it gave me at least some sense of achievement..something I've been wishing I had more of at work of late.

Still, if anyone find an admin job that's 930-230 5 days a week let me know. I hate missing so much of the kids after school time.

But..small clap for me :)

5. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Don't want to kill people today, so yeah - improvements. :)

Good work, K - organising stuff like that is no small feat. *claps*

Sleepy today, as leg pain woke me up in the early morning. Pain gone now though, so all is well. Woke up, checked my Facebook. I've been having a conversation via notes with a random guy on Facebook, who decided to start talking me when noting my interest in Phantom of the Opera. He has since invited me to use a spare Phantom ticket he has - the question I have to ask is do I want to meet up with someone I've never actually met before? LC is always saying I need to meet new people after all, but still - he could be an axe murderer for all I know. Dilemma.

Anywho, time for lunch I think. I've unfortunately become addicted to the Teriyaki Chicken from the Sushi place up the road from work - I really shouldn't do the same meal three or four times in a week, so I guess I'll go check out the cafeteria... *sigh*

6. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Oh yay! Work contract extended until May.

7. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Was rather chilly this morning - we're going to have a much cold winter this year aren't we?

8. Dave_Smogcrawler

Dave_Smogcrawler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    Well I just got promoted to become a buddy trainer, finishing off a traineeship and just join karate class. Have an unpublished book, writing a script that is to be made into an animation, is a semi-finalist in some obscure poetry competition, nothing much really.

9. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    There was a dead cat lying in the gutter on the way to work this morning... I hate that. The amount of dead creatures I've seen walking to work has been unsettling - their presence itself is unsettling anyway. There was the cat of course, one or two dead birds... A minimum of four dead possums (possibly more), one of which I had to walk past every day as it rotted away down to its bones... [face_worried] [face_sick]

10. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Quite an eventful couple of weeks in my working world. LOADS of stress, changes in process, me having anxiety attacks over lots of things, and just plain taxing days. Personal stress over the munchkin added to it but it left me with some decent outcomes for work.

I was all but ready to pack the whole Reception/Outpatient?hospital thing in when in a moment of sheer WTF I expressed interest in working a 5 hour day 5 days a week, instead of my 3 8 hour ones, and refocusing my life on the kid and picking him up and dropping him off from school.

To my surprise, my co-supervisor said it sounded like a good idea, and would give us an extra staff member without hiring one. And then my boss said yes. And I went..HUH??

So in about 3 weeks I'll work everyday, but only 930-230, and have the kid most mornings and afernoons and be able to spend more time with him, I won't be supervisor anymore but I was seriously over the stress involved with that- at least I tried it- and I'll kind of be a releiver floater working all over the place so not getting too frustrated with the one area.

All in all, it felt like entirely the right decision for where my life is at right now, and apart from my usual "oh no..change!" anxiety, I'm feeling more positive about work. Well less "I'll shoot myself if I ahve to go back there" kinda feeling anyway. Yey.

11. Dave_Smogcrawler

Dave_Smogcrawler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    I am so tired...I think I over exercised in karate....

12. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Everyone is being so loud today... Why must they be so loud? [face_hypnotized]

13. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Sent through an application for a pre-approved car loan yesterday - received a call today that apparently that's been approved. Yay. Now I just have to find the car and fax through some documents and something about comprehensive insurance, and all will be well.

Nice to be able to cross at least one thing off my list of stuff to do. :)

14. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I've always enjoyed mocking the cliches of bureaucracy, public service and all the sorts of managerial humour often described in Dilbert, but I'm starting to become disillusioned and even angry at how true cliches can become.

I went to a largish meeting yesterday which was updating on the "QAS Review." Basically, the department needs to save money. Overall, we need to scrimp and save out of our collective budgets $12 million.

Our current head of BSS tells us that they're trying to save money by getting rid of all the rental plants and cutting back on newspapers (amongst other things, obviously) and then continues on to tell us that the EMT (Emergency Management Team?) is going up to Clear Mountain for a retreat to figure out how to save money. I just can't figure how that makes any sense - right there you have accomodation expenses, travel, the booking of a conference room, food - Why couldn't they have just locked themselves in the DG's office for the day? Or used the Auditorium? Gaaah. They're following the Dogbert's Guide to Management just a little too well and that scares me.

On different note, the Dictionary.com word of the day is "Nefarious." Good word. Don't get to use it often enough.

15. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Potato soccer... it's as simple as it sounds... soccer, with a potato.
    It was a slow night.:D

16. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    I might have a job....maybe....sewing stuff...interview on Saturday...hmmm

17. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    *waves hypothetical cheerleading pom poms* Go LC Go! Go LC Go! Yaaaaaay LC! *more pom pom action*

18. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    Hehehe thanks! I'm really nervous about it though! You know the whole, 'OMG is my sewing good enough to be employed' blah blah blah.... yeah I gott have more confidence in my abilities! But apparently the lady is excited to meet me, so that's a plus! And it sounds like I might be working from home too, which is another plus. But we'll see what happens. In the meantime, I have to work out what costumes to take down to show her!

19. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Do you have a copy of that fandabulous portfolio you put together for the Uni submission a few months ago? If so you could always take that down for her to flip through along with some of your finest creations, which ever you decide your finest to be.

20. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    Actually I never got it back :( But I do have photos so I could print out a copy.

21. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Yeah,I didn't expect you would have gotten it back - but yeah - if you have a copy or photos from it, why not take em along :)

22. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    So I went and I talked to the lady and showed her my costumes :D Woo! She said I certainly have a lot of talent and a lot of potential, I just need some more practice and to tighten up my technique. But considering that I'm mostly self taught (as in I've not been to classes or anything) she was veyr impressed. Unfortunately she had just hired a lady last week, and because I don't have enough experience as a machinist, she can't really hire me. But she's got my details, so if she has any simple alteration work to do, she'll let me know :D

But I chatted to her about TAFE and stuff (she used to teach TAFE) and she gave me lots of pointers. So on Tuesday I'm going to ring up TAFE and talk to the head of costume, and see if I can make an interview to go in and talk to her about what I have to do to get in and show her my costumes. It's possible that I might get credit for a lot of the work I've done, and only have to complete 6 months of the Cert IV and then apply for the Dip of Costume next year. *fingers crossed*. She also recommended I give Opera Sydney a call so I can go in and see them about getting some work. Apparently they have like 5 or 6 workrooms, so she thinks they're sure to have a job for me! Woooooo! The main thing she said is to make sure that I show how enthusiastic I am, and that will get me everywhere!

But first things first, I have to get my overlocker fixed!

23. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Show them how enthusiastic you are? You'll knock em over with your over-abundant reserves of bubbly enthusiasm ;)

24. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    I was a bit concerned that after having sent off my Top Gear Audition at the last minute, it might not have gotten to them by the deadline.

Today I got official acknowledgement that it had been received, so all of Sammich's effort wasn't wasted after all :p

I won't hear from the production team again unless I make the short list, which I highly doubt will happen. But it was fun to do.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

25. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Hey guys...

Wow, this year has been huge for me down here on "The Pacific" i just remembered i haven't posted in ages.

We are on to our second last episode and its not getting any easier lol. I'm here till the end of may at the moment, not including re-shoots. We've had one of the shooting units wrap and had a huge wrap party in Melbourne, which was awesome.

David Nutter, director and producer of "the sarah conner" t.v show, gave me a really great wrap on his last day of shooting on the iwo jima set. My big boss, Pirate's costume designer PENNY ROSE, gave all of our department a nice key chain last week...i think it's real silver - nice.
    A month ago or so myself and other crew/cast came down with food poisening from set...I had to go to hospital, then i knew it was bad because i NEVER go to hospital or the doctors, and get rehydrated and worked back onto soild food....the outbreak even made the melbourne papers. Wasn't a good week.

Came across this site before which has a bit of info on the series..it's funny being on the inside, alot of his writing is wrong.
    http://www.pararesearchteam.com/ThePacific.html

I've got alot of work offers once i finish here, one inluding co-producing a documentry for t.v.[face_thinking]

Well, got get ready for another night shoot (in the rain and mud of Okinawa 1945) and it blowing a gale down here today (oh yeah, did i mention i hate melbourne weather!)
    When i get back i'll have to throw a gathering party somewhere...drinks on me. Thats a promise.

Catch you guys later[face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.