FF:QLD In this thread, we discuss what happened at Work/High School/University.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by casual-jedi, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, failing sarcasm tags, there's always the :rolleyes: emoticon.
  2. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Master

star 4
    I started work at the new place on Monday. I'm really enjoying it so far. The job is pretty straight foward, it's just that there is alot data entry stuff that gets complicated.

Also, I make a lot more money than I did at DJ's :D .
  3. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
  4. casual-jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    And so the pawn becomes... er, a slightly more valuable pawn?

Who'da thunk it from all those years ago when I was a snotty kid, riding the bumper cars at Tops..
    To now actually becoming a part of the centre management operations team?

The boy doth become a man(-child).

Ooh, this means I get a business card too..
    Never had me one of those!
  5. Lozza Jedi Master

star 4
    Hehe, nice CJ.

Well it's official. My computer at work is stuffed. Now I just have to wait and wait to see what they want to do with it. I have a back up, but I dare not change anything over in case they want to test in in-situ.

On the plus side it basically means I have a silly long lunch hour waiting for said support :p
    Oh EB is having their sale... Soooooo tempted to buy a stack of games for under $40...
  6. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Master

star 4
    Congrats mate! :D

Been there, done that :p. I grabbed Call of Duty 4, which is awesome, and Stalker, which I haven't really played yet. Probably be going back for Command and Conquer 3, too.
  7. Luke_Sparkewalker Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, after being back for less then two weeks I gotta pack my bags and head to Sydney to start work on 'Wolverine'. Leaving Sunday at lunch.

Found out just after I bought a car...now it's got to sit here for a month lonely :( :p
  8. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    I guess transport at work is arranged? Bugger. Couldn't drive it down there at some stage?

Enjoy working on the next project mate, how different is it from the last job? Do you have to approach it differently? Are there people you've previously worked with on it?

Oh, and make sure you get time to see the new Star Wars Clone Wars Movie thingy at some stage! :)
  9. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    REALLY??

Man that's pretty cool. Sure you can't swing some of us job on that shoot???

Sorry we didn't get to catch up Luke! Good luck with the next chapter in your amazing career.
  10. Luke_Sparkewalker Force Ghost

star 4

Yeah, they are giving me a car down there on monday...stating at Bondi so i'm told. Should be nice..better then Melbourne *grumble grumble* :p They offered me to drive it down and they pay me the hire costs but Its a long drive and i would rather fly.

It's a little differant, one that its only 3 or 4 weeks as aposed to 10 months...so the end is already in sight! Another thing is we are doing 4 differant battles across U.S history as aposed to one campaign. There are people from the pacfic down there who dobed me in for the job, so its nice to hear I made a name for myself.

I'll be back by the time Clone wars comes out Goobs!

Thanks too Kahlan! I was going to try and organize somthing this weekend for the group and catch up but didn't once I found out about this, it's all rush rush. Still gotta pack!

Chat latter guys!
  11. Lozza Jedi Master

star 4
  12. Last_Chael Jedi Master

star 4
    Congrats Luke! Sounds like you're really starting to make a name for yourself! And what a great movie to be working on :D If you have any free time, do let me know, it would be great to catch up for a coffee or something! I'd offer to show you around but I hardly know this place myself!

Well I can FINALLY post something here that is work related!

I had myself a job interview today, it went VERY well and I have a trial tomorrow! It's at a very nice, high end fabric store, and it's full time!! Absolutely the PERFECT job for me, and I'll finally have some money! I'm very very excited! The interviewer said there shouldn't be a problem with me being hired, as he thought I seemed to fit in very well! I guess 15+ years of sewing experience makes me quite qualified for the job ;) But I hope they let my know by Wednesday whether I have it for sure, since I actually have another job interview lined up for Friday.

I'll let you all know how I go tomorrow!
  13. Last_Chael Jedi Master

star 4
  14. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ooh Good Luck LC. Does sound like it's meant for you. Go for the other interview anyway though if you haven't heard. Fingers crossed.
  15. morgan-aleghieri Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, good luck LC :)

Today I drove into work - it wasn't too bad a drive, I'm starting to get back over the renewed nervousness I had about driving, and I ventured out on the highway by myself for the first time this morning also, so that was nice.

Car seems to be travelling alright at the moment, no major issues although. I actually saw a car with the number-plate Chell the other day though, so I'm wondering if it is the appropriate name for my car. I don't think I could call her GlaDOS though. Hmm.
  16. Last_Chael Jedi Master

star 4
    So I've come to the end of my first week at work! Technically the trial is for 3 months, but the owners are very pleased with me, so I don't think there'll be a problem with me staying on :D

It's very tiring at the moment as I have to be up at 6 every morning, travel 1.5 hours to work, work all day, then travel another 1.5 hours home. I like to be in bed by 10, so I don't have much time in the evenings.

But I'm absolutely loving it (the job, not the getting up early and travelling for ever!). The people I work with are all so nice, the owners are really cool people, and I'm surrounded by gorgeous fabrics and creative people. I'm still a little nervous when it comes to giving people sewing advice, but I'll get more confident the more I work there, and I'll learn heaps more too! Most of the other girls who work there have studied/are studying fashion design (one is studying costume at NIDA too!) so they have way more knowledge than I currently do. But I'm learning heaps! Yesterday one of the owners gifted me with 3m of the most gorgeous fabric, so I'll need to make something beautiful from that!

And of course the best bit is that I'm actually earning money, which is something I've really missed! I keep passing all these shoe sales on the way to and from work each day, with gorgeous vintage styled shoes.... it's so tempting!!

But the best part is that I'm inspired! I'm rapidly running out of clothes to wear, so I need to make some! I have a ton of fabric (hmmm almost literally :p) under out bed that is begging to be made into outfits. I get two days off per week, so I'm going to try and see if I can make two garments per week. Then I'll soon have lots of nice pretty clothes to wear to work! And that's the other good thing: I can wear beautiful vintage clothes to work! I LOVE it! :D
  17. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    Congrats on the job LC!

Sounds perfect for you. Hope your time there is full of inspiration and creativity!!

Painful Mum like advice coming:

Working and travelling alot is painful, as is making time for other important things whilst you do all that. One thing I guess I learnt, although perhaps not as well as I should have, is when you're in a relationship and both trying to work fulltime and live together and have a life, is to remember the life part. Make time for each other, as tempting as it is to come home and fall in a heap and get up in the morning. And spend at least a half day together on the days off. Just some advice from experience. We make the money to have the life :) Advice over.

WOOOHOOOO LC's got a cool job!
    =D= [:D]
  18. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    As above. Well done, you!

To state the obvious, Kahlan's advice is spot-on.

As for the travelling: never underestimage the power of the audiobook. BigBossNass was in that situation not so long ago, and it sounds like he really managed to plough through that reading list while passing the time in transit. As I've said before, ticking off books on the list is a strangely effective means of feeling more in control of life in general.
  19. casual-jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Monday, Monday...
    And so begins a new chapter.

From my top floor cubicle all prepared and shiny-like, I enter the world of property management.
    Could be weird initially, as those that were once my colleagues have now become my minions.
    MuaHaHaHaHa![face_devil]

But not really.
  20. Luke_Sparkewalker Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, tomorrow i fly back home after almost 4 weeks down here in Sydney. It's gone very, very well...been run off my feet but it has been worth it. made lots of conetcions, hung out with Hugh, and was treated on a differant level then i was treated on Pacific - which makes sence. did the hard slog there only to come out looking like a true professional. It has been a dream job.

so i'll finally have to catch up with you guys!

And can i beg one of you for season 4 of BSG....i've been dying all these months to see any of it :p :_| [face_praying]
  21. Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Master

star 4
    I was actually down in Sydney last weekend! You were probably working though :p

There's enough copies of BSG floating around that one of us will give you one.

Looking forward to catching up and hearing your stories. Enjoy taking your car for a spin.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider
  22. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    [image=http://jagerclan.com/glubbo/fuzz1.jpg]

What he said.

Sounds like it went well - congrats to you Luke. Enjoy your car, too!
    Maybe catch you at a Bar Wars?
  23. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    that's it. Time to ACTUALLY catch up with Luke. Some of us'll be at Qpac on Saturday night won't we? Plough inn after upstairs or quiet place in Southbank for coffee/drinks/chats??

Doable Luke?
  24. Luke_Sparkewalker Force Ghost

star 4
    doable 4 sure Kahlan. will have to find out where for sure and i'll be there or candy be square!
  25. Dave_Smogcrawler Jedi Master

star 4
    Well I just published myself today....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.