main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD In this thread, we discuss what happened at Work/High School/University.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by casual-jedi, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Wow - mass exodus. At least half of my department just walked out of the office to go to a meeting thing in the auditorium and my boss's calls are being directed to me. Apparently I shouldn't get too many calls though... I have this little dog that a previous employee must have left behind in my cubical. I'm giving serious thought to calling him Percy and 'adopting' him.

2. Fampa

Fampa Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    Mwa ha ha.

For the next month I am master of all I survey!! Watchhouse keeper in Inala!! I shall decide who gets bail and who gets a blanket [face_mischief]

3. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Blanket, blanket, blanket [face_praying]

4. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    [face_laugh] lol, someone just came in the office with a baby, and my first thought was, "I am a perfectly normal human-worm-baby!"

~giggles to self~

5. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    just finished a live acting job down this way on the coast. Had to be ancient greeks
    [image=http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/LukeSparkewalker/work/P1010031.jpg]
    me fighting mono on mono
    [image=http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/LukeSparkewalker/work/good.jpg]
    group of greeks

it was really great and i got paid for it8-} :p very sore though[face_tired]

6. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Looks like fun Luke, you definately have a cool job!

On the work scene, I've decided it might be time for a change. I love the people I work with, they're brilliant! But at the moment, I'm just not enjoying the work. It's great when we're busy, I love the back to school/prepak time, when you're constantly serving customers, stocking shelves, helping customers fill booklists, writing ITF's etc. It's great to be busy. But atm, it's almost dead. We're lucky to get 10 customers a day. Plus atm I'm only working one day a week, which just isn't enough to cover my expenses (This week I've bought new gym clothes, quite a stash of material from spotlight, food at uni etc). So I've been thinking, and I realise that one of the main reasons I'm staying there is because I'm comfortable there. I enjoy not working too much, which gives me lots of time to do uni work. But then, most of the time I'm surfing the net instead of doing work. Plus I'd really like to work in a job that will give me experience in the social work field.

So my friend and I are looking into becoming kids help line phone counsellors. It would be great experience for social work, and I daresay that my degree will help in the job as well. I just have to find out how flexible the hours are, what the pay is, where it is etc. I'm a bit nervous about changing jobs, and starting a new one, but life is an adventure, right! I just feel that I really need some more work in the field. So many of my friends do volunteer work or even paid work, which really helped with our placements. I know when I started my placement, I felt so incompetant, like I knew nothing. So all in all Ithink this will be a good thing. Only time will tell! But so far it's all looking mighty promising.

7. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Work sucks. End of status report.

I really need to get off my ass and find a job where I work during the freaking day. I am so over night shifts it's not funny.

8. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Bashing head against desk today - Burnt my tongue on coffee this morning, but it was the best coffee I've had for a few months (with the exception of that mochaccino I had at the ACG meeting...) so that's okay.

Having no work to do is frustrating. And I keep getting phone calls from people asking for the lady who used to sit in my cubical because no one bothers to update the Desportal intranet site. Then there was more head-desk banging because it seems that the phone book function seems to be administered by a seperate method to most of the pages.

Luckily Steven came in before and gave me some work to do so the day shouldn't be a few hours of me watching the clock, browsing the forums and wandering back and forth between the cubical and the water cooler.

Braaaaiiinnnsss... urrrgh..

9. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    Urgh, I know how you feel Bec, I had a similar problem on prac last semester!

hmm uni today was interesting. Our youth justice lecture was held in the children's court by these two guys from DoCs. It was fairly interesting to see how the court is laid out, and leanr about the procedures and roles etc. By golly it's intimidating though. It's really not made with young people in mind! It's a little better than the Supreme and magistrate's court though, they're incredibly intimidating! But this subject is going to be hard, we have to basically know the Juvenile Justice Act pretty well, at least the really important parts like the Bail stuff and sentencing, the principles; also the police powers act and a few others. It's massively full on! I know it's important for us to know all this stuff, but alot of it comes from experience in the field. Gah Law is just such gobbledygook to me, so intimidating and a completely foreign language.

Then this arvy I had my Mental health lecture, which was quite interesting. We had guest speakers tlaking about the recovery model, which is so in tune with social work values and practices. We also had some interesting debate about the ethical issues surrounding self disclosure of a mental illness to clients. It's interesting to see where people draw the line on being open with clients.

anywho, that's my fantastic day, after which I am well and trully exhausted! I-) Stupid Mondays!

10. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    I skipped uni today. My day was therefore good. :p

11. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    I am such an idiot.

The topic for my research assignment is an obtusely worded quote from a 70 year old case. I've been trying to crack it and work out what they actually want for the assignment for a few weeks now.

And then today I realised there was more to the question over the page that clears up any ambiguity.

After I slamming my head into the desk a couple of times, I think I'm ready to begin this blasted thing now.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

12. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Arrgh I am so screwed I have to do a tutorial presentation today and I am extremely ill-prepared. Thank God its only the beginning og the semester.

13. EnempE

EnempE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2005
    Proper
    prior
    planning &
    preparation
    prevents
    piss
    poor
    performance in
    presentations.

Courtesy of the alliteration bug.

14. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    thats a mouthful!

15. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Is this the new Marv, the one who worked hard to get back in and apply himself this semester, or the old Marv?

:confused:

But you know, sinners and stones and houses made of glass... [face_whistling]

16. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    I did it alright. Poorly, but i kept reminding myself of the consequences of not doing it and skipping class, vs doing it anyway, albeit badly, and the latter definitly was a better option. I knew that if i didnt do it, I wouldnt get any marks, and would not be able to go to that tutorial for fear of being asked why i didnt do it.

I dont think ive changed yet...that will take a while. But I am getting help ;)

17. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    //selects appropriate martian cavity and lodges boot. Firmly.

18. Fampa

Fampa Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    Fortunately the JJA and the PPRA are some of the more easier read bits of legislation. The Bail Act, Penalties and Sentences Act (and the Acts Interpretation Act) however are major pains in the ass. My job is to interpret and put into practice, particularly the bail stuff.

The secret to understanding each of the sections is to find the legislation explanatory notes. Best source is the Academy library. Everything in there is written so a year 8 (read recruit) could understand it.

19. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    Well the other relevant legislation that we should know include The Bail Act, the Juvenile Justice Regulations, Children's Court Act, Childrens Court Rules, PPRA, and the Criminal Code. Although, that would be more if we actually went to work as a youth justice worker, and so that we know where to look for extra info. Thankfully the major one we need to know for this semester is the JJA and in our reading pack we were given the legal practitioner's guide to juvenile justice, which outlines quite well the JJA and the important parts of that.

The main reason I'm doing this subject is because I'm hoping to do youth work, either in a school context or in a community centre (or the like) so I think this information will be quite useful to know. Plus it was one of the more interesting electives. But I have the utmost respect for what you do, it's most definately a tough job!

20. EnempE

EnempE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2005
    morgan

hunting for work is fun.

sometimes i feel like tigger.

bouncing on my friends

(footnote, it is actually 'mano y mano' which translates as hand and hand, or a fistfight. what you where doing there looked a little more like espada y escudo(sword and shield). Trust me the peace loving spanish had terms for all of this and training to suit. No on expects the spanish inqui..)

21. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Quite the controversy at my work today...
    Apparently the local rag posted a front page tyrade, on how the club had snubbed the commemoration of Long Tan, by not holding the soldiers' tribute dinner on the premises. They go on to say that the club decided to hold a pool comp, instead of honouring the brave soldiers of the Vietnam conflict. We even made Seven's local news for causing a moral outrage in the community.

What the media conveniently omitted was the fact that the club does not have the dedicated function facilities to hold such an event. Nor did they report on the fact that the RSL sub-branch left it to the last minute to try and make a booking. Also missing from the 'beat-up', was how the club actually footed the bill to hire a function hall, catering, and transport services for the Long Tan tribute dinner. Don't you just love 'fair and balanced' reporting???
    o_O

22. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Outrage is easier. People aren't interested in truth, just in making some kind of point. "I remembered Long Tan, so I'm a better person than you." Then they can be all smug and superior, and no doubt use that insidious word "un-australian" (which I despise on every possible level). There's something fundamentally wrong with some people and the way they view the world.

Uni today (ongoing, because I'm here right now): mild anxiety attacks and a general feeling of pointlessness. (Don't get me started on why there's a class on Saturday afternoon, I'm not entirely clear on that part myself.) I'm getting desperately tired of all this.

23. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    Those local papers are outrageous. Best used in the guinea pigs cage I say!

24. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    today at work Marv was given the awesome and onerous task of collecting the baskets at the end of the day.

I know this because he passed within 4 feet of me twice without noticing I was staring at him.

He didn't notice because he was flirting with his supervisor.

25. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    I'm quite frankly scandalised. Where do you get off with that kind of behaviour, Marv? I'll be writing to my local paper to complain.

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.