main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD In this thread, we discuss what happened at Work/High School/University.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by casual-jedi, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    [face_laugh] OMG that is priceless!! Thank-you kahli, for your selfless service in the interests of hilarity :p

The media are the lowest of the low. Shows like Today Tonight with that self-rightous phoney bitch android, and rag journalists in general are little higher than scum in my opinion. It's no wonder Journos are rated as the least trusted professionals, waaayy below politicians even!

2. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    LMAO [face_laugh]

I was kinda all over the place today offering to do all sorts of hellish tasks....I'll be honest, I've been kissing a lot of ass lately, I'm keen on a supervisory role, and I've been sucking up an embarassing amount [face_skull] and i always seem not to see people I know, another sign of insanity

3. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    I have this dreadful feeling that this is going to be a week of doing nothing at work [face_worried] I think the lady who is supposed to be working out a work plan timeline thing with me today seems to have forgotten me. :( So far I've drawn a browsed the (many) boards I contribute to, have started drawing a picture, and started a word game, tried raiding the stationary cupboard to see if they had coloured pens or highlighters anywhere (and they were signifigantly lacking) and now I'm counting down the minutes til lunch time...

I sure hope this lady remembers me in the arvo, because with my supervisor away for a week and not knowing this other woman's name, I'm going to go completely insane.

Luckily I did buy a book to read this morning... [face_thinking]

Woot - 12pm hits - Time for sustinance!
    Today's menu - Soylent Green.
    hmmmm [face_thinking]

4. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    The life of a public servant...

5. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    The Life of a Public Servant

It would make for a terribly boring movie [face_thinking] :p

I wonder if I could make a model of myself with Post-it notes and Scotch tape and just zip down to JB-HiFi for a few hours...[face_thinking]

6. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Take a cue from Fight Club. Spend your time writing subversive haikus on post-it notes, and stick them up in public areas around the office.

7. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    [face_laugh] Oh capital idea, old chap! hehe [face_mischief]

8. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    The Life of a Public Servant

It would make for a terribly boring movie

I disagree. Last Public Service job I had I was involved in at least two Government Conspiracies.

Admittedly only State Government Conspiracies, but still, if there's one type of piracy I hate, it's CONSpiracy.

Today, I lay on the couch and watched The Princess Bride and started going through the extras of my "Dread Pirate Edition". I have uni. this evening, but when you've got the flu on top of chronic fatigue, this little guy could paw me to death. So I'll recouperate for later in the week.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

9. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    It sounds like there is so much comedic potential in Morgz' workplace, if you ask me! Just slot the coworkers into their respective archetypes and you have an instant setting for a sitcom :)

10. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm glad to see that most peoples' days progress the same as mine. I only had 3 classes today and my spare was spent printing worksheets, doing photocopying and browsing in an online shop. Hm, productive.

Also, spent a good deal of time ignoring a colleague who was going on about her woes. It's a skill I've sadly mastered in the past 2 years. Many teachers are whingers.

Tomorrow I plan to be more productive, with only 1 class and 3 spares (only a once of 'cause I'm marking QCS stuff).

11. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Today was, in short, crap.

I didn't sleep well, waking up through the night. Had to wake up early so that I could be picked up and into uni early for my exam at 9. Managed to wolf down some breakfast and attempt to cram for my exam. Ran out the door at 7:30 forgetting my diary, pen and pencils. We got into uni around 8:15, had free coffee and listend to all the smart people jabbering about the exam. *curses self for not studying*

Before the exam our lecturer had to explain some of the answers int he practice exam. Honestly, to me, his explanation is so far from what anyone would think, but let me know what you think. Here's an example:

In considering the ideological underpinnings of the Juvenile Justice Act 1992 and the key principles of punishment, which of the following is not correct?

a) The JJ Act embraces rehabilitation as a primary approach to dealing with juvenile offending.
    b) A neo-liberal ideology drives a lot of the JJ Act emphasis on making young people responsible for their offending.
    c) The old penology?s focus on seeing custody as a last resort is embraced by the JJ Act.
    d) All of the above.

The answer to this was d. However, at first glance it doesn't make sense. You see it asks for the answer that is not correct, yet the first three answers are correct. Which in a process of elimination makes d the incorrect answer. See all the answers are correct, so the answer that says, 'all of the above are inccorect' is incorrect and therefore the answer that is not correct. Yeah, see if you can work that one out.

So I finish the exam, am too stuffed to check through all my answers, so I leave. I think I may have passed, hopefully... The lecture we had afterwards wasn't too bad.

I fell asleep for most of my mental health lecture, and we left before the end. So I caught a bus home, intending to go stright to bed, which I still haven't. ~sigh~ I'm totally exhausted, I have so much assessment due int he next 3 weeks. If I can just make it to the mid semester break then I don't have much assessment due, so I can take a break. But I fear the next three weeks are going to be hell...bah!

I can't wait to be done with it, and be finished. I'm so over uni....

[Edit]
    So I just checked the marks for my exam, and almost fainted! 16/20, which is 32 correct answers out of 40. I honestly don't know how I did that well....

12. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    It's called talent, mei-mei. Well done.

Once again, I skipped on uni. The hard plastic chairs they provide us with for tutorials aren't great for my back, and as fragile as that is right now, I didn't want to risk it. So I'll work on my assignment instead.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

13. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    I spent most of the day knee-deep in code. Had to take a crash course in Flash Lite 1.1, which is essentially Flash 4, to recode something I did for the animation department so it would work on mobiles. All of my lovely dual-array self-coding bits out the window... Oh well, Aladdin, Lilo, Mickey, Tinkerbelle and co are going to be popping up nicely on Japanese mobiles soon...

Then spent the afternoon debugging a project that came to me unfinished, took half of the team to brute-force it into submission... gotta finish it off tomorrow...

Then spent half of the night marking essays...

10:15, and it's time for bed, ready for the saltmines again...

14. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Well, I was going to go with "Awesome" (for LC has been hogging a lot of the awesome), but talent works too.

Uni chairs are shocking for causing discomfort.

Well, so far my day has consisted of shredding (yay! Seriously, yay!), eating chocolate eclaires that I had left over from yesterday's sugar binge, and plotting my dominion of a club I've been a 2nd officer in since its initialisation. Read up to almost half way of Colour of Magic on the train. >_>

upon arrival home, I shall have to force myself to clear the laptop of all my junk. Aughh. May have to get ben's old comp up and running purely to store files that won't fit on DVDs. xO

4:45pm can't come quick enough.

15. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000

Ah, gotta love the pre-exam psyche out; all the intellectual types yammering about stuff they think they know... but they don't know. That's what I choose to think anyway.

16. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    *Hugs LC* Hang in there, sweetheart. You'll be okay.

Keep venting to us. It'll do you good. We're tough, we can take it. [:D]

17. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz <-- work

:p On the plus side, Friday night drinks were excellent, and very much needed.

18. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Didn't mention this the other day, but Wednesday at uni had one positive aspect to it, which was that I spoke to my lecturer and tutor about the anxiety issues I've been having over the past couple of months, and how it's caused me to be a bit behind on everything. They were very good and helpful and understanding about it, which I did know they would be, but it's still quite difficult for me to do that kind of thing. I clam up very badly, not out of feeling like it's a sign of weakness or anything, but more out of just drawing inside myself and trying to ignore everything as opposed to dealing with it inteligently. But yes, I did something about it. So I'm slightly proud of myself for that.

Anyway.

Work tonight was, well, work. Friday night close shift. [face_beatup]

19. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
  20. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Well, I've come to what seems to be the last week of my contract. I think I'll start organising my resume tomorrow. Better yet, I'll do it tonight and get ben to take a copy into his work tomorrow as well.

Today the kids (and by kids, I mean Dad and his GF) are jetsetting around the globe for 8 weeks. Seeing as I'm not sure whether this is a good or bad thing (I'm pretty sure it is comprised of elements of both) I thought I'd include it in my occasional "at work" update.

Someone in the office has toast. And now I'm craving toast. wargh.

I have to get some bookbinding done for a corporate induction tomorrow - hopefully I can find the person who I need to print out the books for me.

~Morgan

21. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Uni update/vent: Creative Industries is a load of pretentious drivel that has no bearing on my life and puts me to sleep. All I need to do is scrape my way through this one ridiculous bloody class, and then I'm done, finito. The whole degree feels like it's been a phenomenal waste of time, but oh well. I'll just be thankful to have the damn thing over and done with. Argh. [face_beatup]

22. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    I know that feeling BBN....I sure as hell have been wondering wether my degree will be worth it in the end. Have faith brother ;)

23. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    You'll totally get to the end guys.

I enjoyed parts of my degree. In hindsight it wasn't useful to what I'm currently doing subject wise. But uni did teach me how to learn, how to analyse, how to problem solve, how to work stuff out. Those skills are useful wherever you go.

And hey, end up working for the government like me, and a degree automatically starts you at a higher pay rate than you'd have to normally start at!

24. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000
    Good on you, BBN, for having the courage to say something. I know that when I was at uni so many of my lecturers seemed rather scary, so kudos to you.

Good luck with the job hunting, Morgan, sounds like you're on top of it.

I agree with you completely, Kahlan, public service is the way to go (except for transfers and sometimes dodgy conditions). Very little beats the pay scale and security and the oft having to do nothing. :)

As for my day, it was mostly difficult. One class were completely unprepared for their assessment today (Year 11s! Come on!), the next bunch were rowdy and rude (though that's not unusual). To top it off, the last class of the day went so very well:rolleyes: with two students making a number of inappropriate comments about me. Doesn't seem to be a shuddering smiley.

25. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Okay I wasn't as school today but I hadn't to go get my niece from high school, and I still don't know what happened...waiting for the news to tell me!

Driving towards Deception Bay High school, I was passed by two police cars, and an ambulance. Turning into the street I was pretty much stopped by a police car and cops jumping out throwing on flak jackets. First thought was to go to the side entrance and get my niece out of there if something was going on. Seeing students being ordered into classrooms and more cops appearing in the street out the front I reversed my car out of the grounds and did a loop of the school grounds, only to be stopped again at the other entrace to the street.

I turned on teh radio and got nothing on the news, and when the helicopters arrived I rang my ister at work and tried to explain what I knew without freaking her out. No-one seemed to know bu the school office jsut told her they were in lock-down and no I couldn't come get my niece yet.

So to Maccas I went, kid played, I waited for news of what the hell was going on. Half of me's thinking, some kids gon'e crazy at the school. From what I heard later, something had happened in the street, enough to get police in flak jackets, and lock down the adjoining school.

AN hour later I rang the school and they had been given the all clear, so I went to get the girl only to be told the kids were in debriefing..WHAT"S GOING ON!

Anyway, the kids were all calm and fine and I watched them all go to lunch and sounds happy about missing maths. Kids are great. Still none the wiser though.

So that's what happened at school today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.